PDA

View Full Version : Poutine

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-05-2013, 05:56 AM
This is for shion and other sensible people to discuss this Quebecois deliciousness.

Poutine is in essence fries, cheese curds and gravy. But there are so many variations more delicious than the last. Also, best drinking food ever.

Faris
04-05-2013, 07:20 PM
They should really call it puttine.

I seldom eat it because I feel the spike in my blood.

Slothy
04-05-2013, 07:32 PM
I hate gravy...

and the French.

Jinx
04-05-2013, 08:05 PM
I'd like to try this some time.

Moving to PA in a couple of months, so I'm hitting up Toronto by the end of the year.

Pheesh
04-06-2013, 12:24 AM
I've always wanted to try it, but I'm prepared for it to be either really tasty or really gross.

Formalhaut
04-07-2013, 03:31 AM
I've always wanted to try it, but I'm prepared for it to be either really tasty or really gross.

Agreed. It sounds like one of those foods that sounds disgusting, but might actually be a surprise hit.

Pheesh
04-07-2013, 03:56 AM
Honestly, I think it's just because the actual word 'curd' sounds so disgusting.

Curd.

Curd

Cuuuurd

CURD

*shudders*

Jinx
04-07-2013, 04:08 AM
Do the curds melt?

How do you eat it? With a fork? Surely you wouldn't use your hands.

Night Fury
04-07-2013, 03:29 PM
I love love love love cheesy chips and gravy so I bet this would be right up my street.

04-08-2013, 03:55 PM
I'd like to try this some time.

Moving to PA in a couple of months, so I'm hitting up Toronto by the end of the year.

Toronto? :colbert: Quebec is where the poutine is the best. Then again, I have had bad poutine in Montreal too. Nothing worst than a mediocre poutine.

Do the curds melt?

How do you eat it? With a fork? Surely you wouldn't use your hands.

Sorta. Depends how hot the gravy is and how long you let it set.

Of course Sam, you eat it with a fork!

I love love love love cheesy chips and gravy so I bet this would be right up my street.

YES!

Unbreakable Will
04-08-2013, 04:17 PM
This sounds interesting to say the least, if I ever see any I'll be sure to give it a try. :D

If it's disgusting though I'll track you down and have you apologize to my taste buds though. :argh:

Laddy
04-08-2013, 05:42 PM
Poutine is fucking amazing, I don't care what you lesser gastronomes say. :colbert:

Shorty
04-08-2013, 10:03 PM
This sounds amazing. I'd never even heard of poutine until Ashton spoke about it! For some reason I thought it was like polenta and I have no idea why.

Denmark
04-08-2013, 10:48 PM
poutine is like, the main reason i want to go to canada again, because i've been there before and never had it. I WAS YOUNG AND NAIVE. I DIDN'T KNOW. I. DIDN'T. KNOW.

Flaming Ice
04-09-2013, 05:41 AM
Haven't had it for a while because I can't stand fried stuff...or too much dairy/wheat. Some company made poutine chips before too. Now they have pulled pork fries/indian butter chicknfries and weird things like that at stores.

04-09-2013, 06:16 AM
PARTY AT MY PLACE? :D?

NorthernChaosGod
04-11-2013, 09:07 AM
I've wanted to try this for years. D: Someone make me some.

Pumpkin
04-11-2013, 01:37 PM
I WAS OUT OF TOWN WHEN YOU MADE THIS BOBBY ITS NOT FAIR

Poutine is the best food ever. Ever. Ever ever. If you don't like cheese curds (which are yummy fyi) there's a lot of restaurants that make them with mozzarella or cheddar. The chip stands traditional poutine is still the best though, but a lot of restaurants use thicker fries and more gravy and the cheese is melted more, so there are adjustments to suit people's preferences. Italian poutine is also good, but not as good.

I have honestly never met anyone who disliked poutine. I've met some who thought it was okay (which is still odd) but they didn't dislike it. I don't understand how it sounds gross. Fries? Yum. Cheese? Yum. Gravy? Yum. Weirdos :colbert:

Anyways, the best place to get a poutine is in the province of Quebec. Not Toronto. But if that's the only option you have, it's better than no poutine. If you have to get one in Ontario, there's a few good places in and around Ottawa.

I miss poutine :(.

Cloudane
04-11-2013, 04:55 PM
Looks and sounds disgusting with the curds.

British equivalent "chips cheese n gravy" is where it's at. The cheese should be grated cheddar. And preferably with salt and vinegar. And ketchup.

04-11-2013, 05:26 PM
I WAS OUT OF TOWN WHEN YOU MADE THIS BOBBY ITS NOT FAIR

Poutine is the best food ever. Ever. Ever ever. If you don't like cheese curds (which are yummy fyi) there's a lot of restaurants that make them with mozzarella or cheddar. The chip stands traditional poutine is still the best though, but a lot of restaurants use thicker fries and more gravy and the cheese is melted more, so there are adjustments to suit people's preferences. Italian poutine is also good, but not as good.

I have honestly never met anyone who disliked poutine. I've met some who thought it was okay (which is still odd) but they didn't dislike it. I don't understand how it sounds gross. Fries? Yum. Cheese? Yum. Gravy? Yum. Weirdos :colbert:

Anyways, the best place to get a poutine is in the province of Quebec. Not Toronto. But if that's the only option you have, it's better than no poutine. If you have to get one in Ontario, there's a few good places in and around Ottawa.

I miss poutine :(.

La Banquise <3 So many choices, so many choices. :D

I know I did this thread while you were gone but I knew you'd be back! :D

Jinx
04-11-2013, 09:48 PM
I might eat this if I could get another cheese. I am not a fan of cheese curds.

Setzer the Gambler
05-11-2013, 01:04 AM
There are so many types of poutine's... I have seen so many... The weirdest one was the following:
french fries, cheese curds, gravy and corn.... Yes, corn.

There's also something called "galvaude" which is litteraly coleslaw on your poutine! It's a Quebecois thing I am told XD

They put galvaude on burgers, fries and hotdogs too.

05-11-2013, 06:46 AM
Out of all the ones you have seen, corn is the weirdest? Really?

Pheesh
05-11-2013, 11:35 AM
This is officially impossible to find in Australia. I'll have to try when I go over to Melbourne next, they have a much larger food culture.

Pike
05-12-2013, 02:42 PM
I wonder if they sell this outside of Canada. Cause I've never seen it.

05-17-2013, 05:17 AM
This is sad. Though my friend who is currently in Japan, actually ordered the ingredients to make one.

Tonight, I went to a restaurant (La Banquise) that serves like 20 different kinds of poutine.

Here's the menu:

I had "La Dan Dan" which is poutine with bacon, pepperoni, and onions:

Jowy
05-17-2013, 08:45 AM
i've had poutine twice this week. no regrets.

Tasura
05-18-2013, 04:56 PM
Poutine is amazing, if they made a decent one anywhere near me I'd eat it frequently, sadly the last good poutine I had was an almost 4 hour drive away =(. The place that makes it also makes a Poutine Pizza. POUTINE PIZZA!

Parker
05-19-2013, 01:49 PM
I absolutely want to try poutine. I don't think I can get cheese curds anywhere nearby though. TO CANADA!