Honorable mentions:
Persona/SMT series
Chrono Trigger
Kingdom Hearts
FF XII
Earthbound

Laddy
04-05-2013, 09:14 PM
IX is slightly overrated, not nearly as much as you claim. XII is underrated to the average FF fan, imo.

Earthbound is good, but definitely overrated. Same with CT. Persona (well, 3 and 4) is a great series. :colbert:

The last two are an affront to the genre.

My list:
Final Fantasy X (Okay plot, beautiful soundtrack, and very good battle system plagued down by flanderdized characters, weak character advancement, and meh character designs)
Fallout 3 (Dumbed-down RPG elements, boring story, over-reliance on overly simplistic combat, dull gameworld.)
Mass Effect (It's. Not. An. RPG. It's an FPS with tacked-on character development and dating sim elements comparable to Star Trek slashfic)
The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion (Ugly and loaded with uninterseting filler. Skyrim is slightly better in this regard.)
Dragon Age Origins (Generic fantasy world with uninteresting character advancement and badly-written dialogue.)

Pike
04-05-2013, 09:22 PM
Neverwinter Nights - I've tried to get into this about a million times and I can't, I'm sorry :(

FF 9 - It's cool if you like it but I just don't understand how people can like it more than many of the other FFs :confused: Maybe I'm missing something? Like, if you want a retro FF, go play a retro FF.

Oblivion - Terrible character design, boring world, least interesting plot/lore of all the TES games, "I saw a mudcrab the other day" *grunt* "Okay, bye" = SUPER REALISTIC CONVERSATION????? Almost redeemed by Shivering Isles.

KotOR - I kind of feel bad for putting this up here because I did enjoy this game a lot and it was very solid but I feel that it is a 4/5 RPG rather than a 5/5 one. Not a bad game by any means, but yeah overrated.

Madame Adequate
04-05-2013, 09:25 PM
Sorry Laddy but any criticism of FFX's characters is nullified by the fact that Wakka.

Also not commenting on whether it belongs in a list like this or not, but Mass Effect is much more of an RPG than Deus Ex is. :colbert:

Pike
04-05-2013, 09:31 PM
Yeah but Deus Ex is Deus Ex.

Del Murder
04-05-2013, 09:38 PM
The Persona series is the only one that comes to mind for me. I've never had an issue with any other RPGs as I typically like the popular ones.

Psychotic
04-05-2013, 09:41 PM
Oblivion ruled because it had a lot of spoons you could collect in it. Fallout 3 ruled too because there were a lot of spoons you could collect in it but you could also put them into a gun and fire the spoons at people and kill them with the spoons. MILF and Laddy actually have no idea what they're talking about.

Bright Shield
04-05-2013, 09:49 PM
Final Fantasy series
Kingdom Hearts series
The Elder Scrolls series
Mass Effect series
Fallout series

Pike
04-05-2013, 10:15 PM
Final Fantasy series
Kingdom Hearts series
The Elder Scrolls series
Mass Effect series
Fallout series

The more I think about this the more I realize you can actually make a really good argument for every single one of these being overrated. Yes, even my beloved TES.

Laddy
04-05-2013, 10:16 PM
Point taken. But Deus Ex is miles better than Mass Effect, RPG or no. :colbert:

Sorry Laddy but any criticism of FFX's characters is nullified by the fact that Wakka.
Wakka was as subtle as a nuclear bomb in every conceivable fashion. Final Fantasy X's writing is pretty...blatant.

escobert
04-05-2013, 11:13 PM
FF VI
Kingdom Hearts
TES III Morrowind
Halo series
Call Of Duty series

NeoCracker
04-05-2013, 11:15 PM
Final Fantasy series
Kingdom Hearts series
The Elder Scrolls series
Mass Effect series
Fallout series

I like you more and more with each passing day.

Madame Adequate
04-05-2013, 11:21 PM
Wakka was as subtle as a nuclear bomb in every conceivable fashion. Final Fantasy X's writing is pretty...blatant.

Yes, that's what I said - Wakka is awesome.

Sephex
04-05-2013, 11:34 PM
Name a popular game to get a rise out of people: The Thread!

Bolivar
04-05-2013, 11:40 PM
Xenogears and Morrowind top the list for the same reason. They would've been incredible books. They're not fun video games.

Both had awesome settings with thought-provoking plots. There's almost nothing redeeming outside of that. The combat is thoughtless in Xenogears; in Morrowind it's actually painful to play. To make matters worse, there's almost nothing to do in either game other than combat and conversation. Morrowind is an RPG bereft of puzzles; Xenogears is a game with a few very bad puzzles. Neither game grasped the fundamentals of dungeon design, but Xenogears is actually bad whereas Morrowind's dungeons are just boring. Both games have atrocious platforming: in TES3 I only came across it a scant few times, whereas Xenogears had the poor sense to actually make it a big part of the game. Xenogears also failed trying to have a plot that was way too long for a single JRPG and they ended up shoehorning so much of it onto the disc w/o gameplay. Morrowind kinda failed on the exploration front. With its flat topography and limited view distance, it just doesn't have the same wonder of exploration that Oblivion had. It also had the color palette of a 2007 First Person Shooter.

If I had to round out a top 5, I would throw in Final Fantasy VI, Mass Effect 2, and maybe Oblivion.

Pike
04-06-2013, 12:18 AM
Halo series
Call Of Duty series

I agree these are pretty overrated RPGs!

Skyblade
04-06-2013, 03:30 AM
I think a lot of my favorites can be listed as overrated. They may be phenomenal games, but they aren't perfect, and a lot of people treat them as though they are.

Heck, even Chrono Trigger isn't perfect, even though it's probably the best damn game ever made.

My list:

Skyrim. My gosh, Skyrim. This game is nowhere near as good as most people say. It has flaws everywhere, and I've seen nearly everything it does executed better somewhere else.

Knights of the Old Republic. This game has a phenomenal story, world, exploration, and character interactions. The gameplay is atrocious, however. I had to cheat to get through it, not because of difficulty, but because the combat was just bad, and anything I could do to minimize it was worth it. Good game, but the horrible combat really drags it down.

Final Fantasy VII. It's a brilliant game, don't get me wrong, but too many fans think it's perfect.

Fire Emblem Shadow Dragon. Ugh, I hate this game. WTF did you do to it, Intelligent Systems? It's on the DS, it shouldn't be vastly inferior to both GBA games you made! Yet people still treat it like it's a phenomenal entry in the series. Ok, maybe it did give us access to FE1 here in the States, but that doesn't automatically make it a great game.

Pokemon Gold and Silver. Good games, but massively overrated.

Psychotic
04-06-2013, 07:10 AM
Planescape: Torment
Fallout 2
Morrowind

am i doing this right

maybee
04-06-2013, 09:39 AM
Skyrim > Everybody rants on you like you're the best JRPG ever created.

Final Fantasy XII > One of the worse JRPG's ever made by Square E.

Dragon Quest Series > Japan loves you like a God. IX is the only good one and V is okay.

Final Fantasy Tactics > Dull colours, dull storyline, dull battle system.

Earthbound/ Mother Series > I have feelings that this series only got attention because of the infamous last boss. It's scary, we get it already. Again dull battle system.

Honourable mention > Not sure if it counts but the Pokemon series. I only like N because he's hot but it's damn repetitive and basically has no story whatsoever and everybody cries out like it's the best. N is the only good thing about the series.

Pike
04-06-2013, 10:11 AM
Skyrim is underrated imo, everyone hates it (except for me and like four other people)

"ARROW TO LE KNEE" 12-year-olds on YouTube don't count

Sephex
04-06-2013, 11:27 AM
Skyrim is underrated imo, everyone hates it (except for me and like four other people)

"ARROW TO LE KNEE" 12-year-olds on YouTube don't count

I used to be a LE MAYMAY like you, then I took a XXXXXXDDDDD to the NARWHALE BACON!!11 XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDDddddd ddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddddd

Del Murder
04-06-2013, 08:17 PM
How does everyone hate Skyrim? Didn't it sell a bazillion copies and win GotY in several formats?

Iceglow
04-06-2013, 08:31 PM
Pike
Shorty
Freya

Oh wait, we're not doing the most overrated girls in the world! :p

Honestly, I've rarely seen a thread with so much wrong involved. Paul is the only one posting correctly in this entire thread. Well Paul and myself :D

Freya
04-06-2013, 08:34 PM
FFVII. It is so overrated. It is not the perfect ff.

Skyrim. It is boring.

Call of duty. Sorry customer it is in fact not the best game evar

Pike
04-06-2013, 08:56 PM
How does everyone hate Skyrim? Didn't it sell a bazillion copies and win GotY in several formats?

Most of the gaming discussion places I go seem to dislike it. Even here you can't make a Skyrim thread without a bunch of people showing up and talking about how much they didn't like it.

Call of duty. Sorry customer it is in fact not the best game evar

Yep, Call of Duty is pretty overrated for an RPG :p

Dr. rydrum2112
04-07-2013, 12:23 AM
There is no such thing as a perfect game- as soon as someone touts one as such they should be gagged when talking about said game.

No order
FF9 - a big let down, weak story & thonged villian didn't help either.

ar tonelica melody of metafalica - was so bad I not sure I got even half way...

Radiata Stories - just a cool game mechanic that was ruined by lack of saves, and bad story.

Xenoblade- just overrated, not sure why everyone drools & loves it.

DQ8- only DQ I've played, thought it was OK at best.

TrollHunter
04-07-2013, 12:34 AM

Also not commenting on whether it belongs in a list like this or not, but Mass Effect is much more of an RPG than Deus Ex is. :colbert:

Wakka?
Hey, I'm cartoonishly shallow racist and bigoted so that I can have some forced character development.

maybee
04-07-2013, 09:16 AM
FF9 - a big let down, weak story & thonged villian didn't help either.

I need a drink.

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m92ndck05v1qg39ewo1_500.gif

Madame Adequate
04-07-2013, 11:46 AM

Wakka?
Hey, I'm cartoonishly shallow racist and bigoted so that I can have some forced character development.

Except his bigotry made perfect sense given his upbringing and his development was pretty subtly-handled and very well done?

TrollHunter
04-07-2013, 12:30 PM

Wakka?

Except his bigotry made perfect sense given his upbringing and his development was pretty subtly-handled and very well done?

I don't feel the same. Besides, how well done wakka is isn't exactly objective.
Whenever I played through X I found Wakkas character development to be ham-fisted at best. Like the game was constantly berating me with his racist comments and how he was improving oh so subtly.
He always bothered me in my playthroughs, and he's easily my least favorite character of X. His crappy voice acting didn't really help either.
I found Rikkus development to be a lot more well done.

Pete for President
04-07-2013, 02:14 PM
Wow, never thought anyone could ever breakdown Wakka like that. His voice acting is far supreme even for today's standards imo. I'm on MILF's side on this one; his story and development always felt very humane to me.

As for my list, although I feel like some aren't as overrated anymore after seeing them a lot in this thread:

Skyrim & Oblivion > Flawed and boring. Dark Souls is the true path.

Kingdom Hearts > How can a game get away with a messed up story like that?

FFVI > Do note I have only played this first about 2 years ago, but really couldn't get into it. There's some pretty epic character development, but some terrible gameplay design and unbalanced difficulty spikes ruin the experience. I'm very aware it did some pretty amazing things at it's time storytelling-wise, but it feels like it's overrated to me.

Hate to admit it, but last: Ni No Kuni. It does a lot of things right visually, but it never ever stops holding your hand. The reviews never adressed this and that is why they're all rating it as stellar, but to me that's not the case.

Rocket Edge
04-07-2013, 02:35 PM
Of course this is all personal opinion but I found FFXIII to be the most overrated piece of crap I've ever played. I really struggle to find anything to like about the game apart from the graphics. I think if critics had a chance to look at what some of the feedback was like before reviewing the game when it just came out they would revise their opinions, as they were probably afraid to go against the grain with the big FF series.

Dr. rydrum2112
04-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Of course this is all personal opinion but I found FFXIII to be the most overrated piece of crap I've ever played. I really struggle to find anything to like about the game apart from the graphics. I think if critics had a chance to look at what some of the feedback was like before reviewing the game when it just came out they would revise their opinions, as they were probably afraid to go against the grain with the big FF series.

That is a fair point- compared to the "expert" and "media" reviews, FF13 is obscenely overrated. But I think enough fans had derided it that my expectation level was lowered enough that the game came up short but not amazingly so.

Raistlin
04-08-2013, 03:07 AM
Oh, look, another "MILF is wrong about everything" thread.

(I actually do agree that FFIX is somewhat overrated at EoFF, though it's not as overrated generally)

Mirage
04-08-2013, 09:03 PM
Final Fantasy series
Kingdom Hearts series
The Elder Scrolls series
Mass Effect series
Fallout series
Get a load of this guy!

Anyway, FF9 is overrated.
FF13 is overrated.
Dragon quest is overrated.
Oblivirim too.

Pike
04-08-2013, 09:23 PM
I'M OVERRATED

YOU'RE OVERRATED

EVERYTHING IS OVERRATED

Mirage
04-08-2013, 09:27 PM
I actually rate you less cool than you are, Pike.

Araciel
04-09-2013, 03:28 PM
Oblivion isn't overrated, is it?

It sucks.

Tigmafuzz
04-10-2013, 07:47 AM
I'M OVERRATED

YOU'RE OVERRATED

EVERYTHING IS OVERRATED

THIS WHOLE COURT IS OVERRATED!

maybee
04-10-2013, 07:53 AM

OBJECTION !

http://24.media.tumblr.com/f0bd2f849668876f188ed2fc15530e3e/tumblr_ml0e265AW81s40xogo1_400.png

Final Fantasy III is pretty underrated !

NeoCracker
04-10-2013, 10:36 AM
I will say, I hate Wakka in FF X, but I am actually fine with his Racism. If anything, him overcoming that was probably one of the only things in X I think was handled well.

Loony BoB
04-10-2013, 11:04 AM
Final Fantasy VI
Suikoden
Final Fantasy X
TES IV: Oblivion

No idea on the 5th at the moment. Too tricky to call. Oh! Wait!

Diablo II

Dr. rydrum2112
04-10-2013, 03:35 PM
I'M OVERRATED

YOU'RE OVERRATED

EVERYTHING IS OVERRATED

YOU CAN'T HANDLE THE OVERRATED!

Loony BoB
04-10-2013, 03:51 PM
THE WHOLE FREAKING SYSTEM IS OVERRATED.

nik0tine
04-13-2013, 10:14 PM
Heck, even Chrono Trigger isn't perfect, even though it's probably the best damn game ever made.Chrono Trigger is perfect but it's not the best game ever made. CT is one of those rare games where all the elements, from the story to the art to the music, are in perfect harmony with each other. In CT, you cannot change anything anywhere without spoiling everything everywhere.

Madame Adequate
04-14-2013, 01:51 AM
Suikoden
Final Fantasy X
Diablo II

My ruse thread has backfired and now I am the one who is rused. Well played Loony BoB. Well played.

NeoCracker
04-14-2013, 02:06 AM
Suikoden
Final Fantasy X
Diablo II

My ruse thread has backfired and now I am the one who is rused. Well played Loony BoB. Well played.

I don't know if he means the whole series or not, but the first Suikoden was rather cheesy at times, and lacking much polish. Though I did enjoy it.

Suikoden 2, however, was a damn fine game.

Madame Adequate
04-14-2013, 02:09 AM
Yeah S1 isn't perfect and does lack some polish, though I still love it personally I wouldn't rate it as truly great as a standalone. The rest of the series though, IV excepted, varies from merely "Sublime" (S3) to "Literally the best videogame ever made" (S2).

NeoCracker
04-14-2013, 02:34 AM
I wouldn't go that far.

Though I do admit to feeling genuinely sad when your strategist asked Kiba, to his face, to go off and sacrifice himself. :cry:

black orb
04-23-2013, 03:02 AM
>>> Look at "IGN Top 100 RPGs of All Time" list. Then pick the first 5 and there you have it, "Top 5 Overrated RPGs of all time"..:luca:

Laddy
04-23-2013, 03:23 AM
Also overrated:

Dark Souls
Valkyria Chronicles
Dragon Quest VIII
Baldur's Gate I
Dragon Age: Origins

Skyblade
04-23-2013, 05:01 AM
>>> Look at "IGN Top 100 RPGs of All Time" list. Then pick the first 5 and there you have it, "Top 5 Overrated RPGs of all time"..:luca:

1. FFVI
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Baldur's Gate II
4. Pokemon Red/Blue
5. Final Fantasy IV

I dunno. Chrono Trigger is underrated (since it's not in spot 1, where it should be).:D

I definitely agree that most of them are overrated, though "most" overrated is definitely debatable, since these games, while not as good as IGN says, are still dang good games. Whereas there are plenty of trout games that get rated as awesome (though not top) which are more overrated than these.

Pike
04-23-2013, 10:54 AM

1. FFVI
2. Chrono Trigger
3. Baldur's Gate II
4. Pokemon Red/Blue
5. Final Fantasy IV

I dunno. Chrono Trigger is underrated (since it's not in spot 1, where it should be).:D

I definitely agree that most of them are overrated, though "most" overrated is definitely debatable, since these games, while not as good as IGN says, are still dang good games. Whereas there are plenty of trout games that get rated as awesome (though not top) which are more overrated than these.

I dunno I don't think any of those are overrated although it's all subjective

I do like that MILF's troll thread has gotten so many serious replies :monster:

Slothy
04-23-2013, 03:56 PM
I do like that MILF's troll thread has gotten so many serious replies :monster:

Is it really trolling if those are his actual opinions though?

Pike
04-23-2013, 03:59 PM
I would say so because the entire point of the thread was to rouse mayhem. I would know since I was the one who told him to make the thread :D

Slothy
04-23-2013, 04:05 PM
I would say so because the entire point of the thread was to rouse mayhem. I would know since I was the one who told him to make the thread :D

Completely unrelated, but could you tell me how one would go about executing a ban in the modcp? I've never done it before.

Pike
04-23-2013, 04:07 PM

Completely unrelated, but could you tell me how one would go about executing a ban in the modcp? I've never done it before.

click on my name, go to "Edit Profile" and click the big red ban button at the top :greenie:

Del Murder
04-23-2013, 06:31 PM
A couple of mods using the forums as their own psychological testing grounds? Outrageous! How dare you two! You should be both commended at once.

Pike
04-23-2013, 06:37 PM
Aren't we mods terrible?

chionos
04-23-2013, 06:58 PM
MILF and Laddy actually have no idea what they're talking about.

Psy for Biggest Understatement of the Year Ciddie 2013

Shoeberto
04-23-2013, 08:09 PM
RPGs are one of my favorite genres but I have a hard time calling any of them overrated. They hold a lot more personal meaning to me in the story and game worlds moreso than in gameplay, which I'll admit is usually pretty weak.

But if I had to name my top most overrated RPG, I'd say World of Warcraft, because it's fucking lame.

Pike
04-23-2013, 08:15 PM
World of Warcraft is actually great imo; it's easily the best MMORPG ever made. Blizzard really succeeded in making a fascinating, mysterious world. The only reason I'm not playing it anymore is because I've got too many other games to play and I can't justify $15/month to play it once every other week.

Shoeberto
04-23-2013, 08:59 PM
World of Warcraft is actually great imo; it's easily the best MMORPG ever made. Blizzard really succeeded in making a fascinating, mysterious world. The only reason I'm not playing it anymore is because I've got too many other games to play and I can't justify $15/month to play it once every other week.
It may be the best MMORPG, but that's a pretty low standard to hit; honestly, I think pretty much all MMOs are incredibly boring slog-fests. I've played WoW multiple times using different approaches and I've still found it to be incredibly boring and unrewarding. Even when I tried to seek out story and immersion, I could never get past how superficial the environments and characters felt, and the lore never really presented itself in any significant way outside of the intro cutscenes. The last time I tried to play, I realized how it felt more like a job than a game; a job that I paid $15 a month for the privilege of doing.

I think MMOs have a big potential to be something really amazing, but all of the ones I've ever played were just boring at best and exhausting at worst. To me, WoW is overrated because it's seen as this milestone in gaming history with the best online experience since Sliced Bread Simulator Online 1999, when to me it's never gotten past being a dull grind.

Pike
04-23-2013, 09:16 PM
I guess I'm biased because it put me in touch with a remarkably active blogging scene which catapulted me into writing and publishing. So I'm always gonna have to owe a big one to World of Warcraft.