PDA

View Full Version : Europeans and American Geography

Laddy
04-06-2013, 12:22 AM
I've noticed then whenever Europeans come to the US they assume everything is super close. Like how you could get to New York City from Chicago in only a few hours by car.

I suppose it's because Europe is relatively small, but still. Let's talk about some zany stories about people from other parts of the world getting their poor not-American minds confused.

Pike
04-06-2013, 12:28 AM
inb4 the Europeans show up and riposte by talking about confused Americans (MAKE YOUR OWN THREAD! :mad2: )

kotora
04-06-2013, 12:41 AM
inb4 the Europeans show up and riposte by talking about confused Americans (MAKE YOUR OWN THREAD! :mad2: )

I wanted to, but then I was like, meh Murica gets rightfully mocked every day on #eoff anyway.

Pheesh
04-06-2013, 12:43 AM
I know for a fact that everyone thinks Australia is smaller than it is. But yeah, I knew exactly what I was getting into when I traveled to USA because I looked up all my greyhound trips before I got there.

Denmark
04-06-2013, 01:07 AM
Like how you could get to New York City from Chicago in only a few hours by car.

well if you consider 12 "a few", then sure

there're too many AMERICANS who don't know American geography. let's focus on them first. I know general stuff about European geography, like relative locations of countries, but I don't know or care to know like, how far it is from Spain to Poland. I'll care if I go there but for now, it's kind of unimportant.

but everyone should know that there's more to new york than just new york city :mad2:

Pheesh
04-06-2013, 01:13 AM
but everyone should know that there's more to new york than just new york city :mad2:

Haha , yeah, and it all sucks xD I stayed in Buffalo and then traveled from there to NYC via Rochester, Syracuse and some other places; countryside was nice, the towns were absolute holes though.

Denmark
04-06-2013, 01:24 AM

Haha , yeah, and it all sucks xD

well yeah, why do you think I spent most of my teenage years on the internet? we just don't like being forgotten :(

Old Manus
04-06-2013, 01:26 AM
I learned all 50 states and the capitals of most of them for the purposes of a sporcle quiz a few years ago. This, combined with my knowledge of some of the rules of American Football (rugby league but slower and with more fat people) and my eventually managing to figure out what a corn dog is means I that I now consider myself a native.

theundeadhero
04-06-2013, 05:17 AM
They think 45 minutes away is too far to travel to visit somebody. Lazy gits :mad2:

Shorty
04-06-2013, 05:41 AM
I'm American and I think that! I don't like going any further than thirty minutes max. :colbert:

I did tell Philip that I thought Australia is much smaller than the US. But that's because it's not important enough to be paid attention to in the first place, so it's not my fault.

qwertysaur
04-06-2013, 05:49 AM
Upstate NY is pretty much farm, farm, farm, CITY, farm, farm, wandering cows, farm, CITY, farm, farm, abandoned farm, farm, Onondaga nation, CITY. etc. NY state is really big.

One thing that amuses me is people who think of just Manhattan when someone mentions NYC. There are 4 other boroughs too!

Calliope
04-06-2013, 06:27 AM
I will probably never get used to: Snow, yellow taxis or schoolbuses, enormous food portions, corn syrup in everything, the marvel of crows, American holidays, Sprite and lemonade being different things, overly large vehicles, nickels being larger than dimes, that the country is large enough to warrant different time zones and contain land-locked areas.

Things I am sick of: People asking if I like Lord of the Rings (No) or Flight of the Conchords (Yes), if my country is "really beautiful" (it is, but so is where I live now and screeds of other parts of the states), if there are a lot of sheep, if I get to go home (I might get to if I got a dollar for every time someone asked me that), what crops we grow (Apples and grapes, just like Washington, not bananas and coconuts and mangos), if I have an accent, how I am finding it adjusting to "big city life" (I actually adjusted to small town life, having moved from a city of two million people).

I'm especially sick of people asking where I am from, and when I say NZ they say "Oh, I've visited/know someone who went to Australia!", as if they are the same and merely a brisk stroll away. Bah!

blackmage_nuke
04-06-2013, 06:38 AM
Maybe they shouldnt have named thier captial city after their state if they wanted people to know there was more to new york. Hello daisy was more confusing than inception. First they were in new york but they were also in yonkers then they were going to a place called new york? WTF

qwertysaur
04-06-2013, 06:40 AM
Maybe they shouldnt have named thier captial city after their state if they wanted people to know there was more to new york. Hello daisy was more confusing than inception. First they were in new york but they were also in yonkers then they were going to a place called new york? WTF
The capital of New York State is Albany, not NYC. :colbert:

Pike
04-06-2013, 10:17 AM
To be fair I don't know anything about American geography in the Northeast

They have all these little teeny tiny states about the size of a county here in Montana and I don't know which is which I mean come on

Mirage
04-06-2013, 10:39 AM
It's not because we think they're close,but because we think you have awesome roads with high speed limits. You know, like the autobahn.

Shauna
04-06-2013, 11:21 AM
They think 45 minutes away is too far to travel to visit somebody. Lazy gits :mad2:

That's because it is! So far away.

Sephex
04-06-2013, 11:50 AM
I have traveled across the US with my family a couple of times via car. While it does take a bit, it is not bad as one would think. Plus, depending on where you go, there are always cool sights and interesting places to take a pit stop at.

Burtsplurt
04-06-2013, 01:15 PM
I watch Man vs. Food. I feel I now know everything about US culture in every state. In Ohio, they eat a lot of burgers. In Texas, they eat a lot of burgers. It must take a long time to get from place to place, as that guy is so pressed for time. He must spend 23 hours and 40 minutes travelling each day which is why he only has 20 minutes to eat, like, 70 burgers. Life looks hard, like his arteries.

Jinx
04-06-2013, 01:15 PM

And New York City is actually five boroughs. What everyone thinks of when they think of NYC is Manhattan. :)

Psychotic
04-06-2013, 01:24 PM
I'm okay with distances. I think the real thing that spun me out is driving. In America you're cool to just drive in a car for stupid amounts of time like it aint no thing. I think driving in America makes a lot more sense, is easier and more straightforward than in the UK. It spun me out that American towns and cities are all need little grids. You look at a road map in the UK, it's like, YEAH LET'S JUST SLAP ROADS ALL OVER THE PLACE WOO WHO GIVES A FUCK in a kind of insane chaos. Plus I guess it's easier just to put your foot down and cruise along the highway in the US. We're a lot more densely populated than the US and you can't go a couple of minutes without bumping into some form of settlement, which of course makes driving difficult.

Mirage
04-06-2013, 01:24 PM
I had no idea that was what I thought of

Jinx
04-06-2013, 01:30 PM
As for the discussion at hand about traveling distances--

I live in a really rural part of the country. It's populated enough, but driving 30-60 minutes to get somewhere isn't really a big thing. Most of my drives average 15-20 minutes.

Chemical
04-06-2013, 01:42 PM
I just figure all Americans live in trailerparks and HollyWood is their God.

Jinx
04-06-2013, 01:46 PM
I just figure all Americans live in trailerparks and HollyWood is their God.

No, that's Ronald McDonald.

Quindiana Jones
04-06-2013, 02:42 PM
One of the teachers here was talking about how he'd love to do an American roadtrip. "Like, take a couple of weeks, and just drive from New York to LA." AHAHAHAHAHAA!

qwertysaur
04-06-2013, 03:29 PM

And New York City is actually five boroughs. What everyone thinks of when they think of NYC is Manhattan. :)

Upstate NY is pretty much farm, farm, farm, CITY, farm, farm, wandering cows, farm, CITY, farm, farm, abandoned farm, farm, Onondaga nation, CITY. etc. NY state is really big.

One thing that amuses me is people who think of just Manhattan when someone mentions NYC. There are 4 other boroughs too!
:roll2

Jinx
04-06-2013, 03:51 PM
Stop posting in a green text that's hard to read, then!

Madame Adequate
04-06-2013, 04:23 PM
I recall hearing of a uni friend's friend who visited California with their family a few years back. They were in LA I believe, and thought it viable to take a day trip to Seattle. Apparently an American friend kindly pointed out just how far that was.

Psychotic
04-06-2013, 04:43 PM
One of the teachers here was talking about how he'd love to do an American roadtrip. "Like, take a couple of weeks, and just drive from New York to LA." AHAHAHAHAHAA!Why is that so hilarious? Google maps says it takes 40 hours, so that's an average of just under 3 hours per day. :confused: Plenty of time to see sights and take the scenic route!

fire_of_avalon
04-06-2013, 04:49 PM
As for the discussion at hand about traveling distances--

I live in a really rural part of the country. It's populated enough, but driving 30-60 minutes to get somewhere isn't really a big thing. Most of my drives average 15-20 minutes.
This. I drive about 45 minutes on interstates one way to get to work.

blackmage_nuke
04-06-2013, 06:01 PM
Well then the name makes even LESS sense then.

One of the teachers here was talking about how he'd love to do an American roadtrip. "Like, take a couple of weeks, and just drive from New York to LA." AHAHAHAHAHAA!Why is that so hilarious? Google maps says it takes 40 hours, so that's an average of just under 3 hours per day. :confused: Plenty of time to see sights and take the scenic route!
6 hours a day if you count the return trip

XxSephirothxX
04-06-2013, 06:15 PM
Like how you could get to New York City from Chicago in only a few hours by car.

well if you consider 12 "a few", then sure

there're too many AMERICANS who don't know American geography. let's focus on them first. I know general stuff about European geography, like relative locations of countries, but I don't know or care to know like, how far it is from Spain to Poland. I'll care if I go there but for now, it's kind of unimportant.

I'm gonna pop round to new england for a visit tomorrow. Should only take me a couple hours, right?

Pike
04-06-2013, 08:03 PM
One of the teachers here was talking about how he'd love to do an American roadtrip. "Like, take a couple of weeks, and just drive from New York to LA." AHAHAHAHAHAA!

I bet I could do this easily

I once drove from the westernmost part of Washington State to about a third of the way through Montana in a day. 16 hours on the road whoooooo!

Mirage
04-06-2013, 08:12 PM
Yeah really, two weeks across the US seems pretty doable. If you're lucky, maybe there are car rental companies that have offices on both sides of the country so that you could just rent it near NY and give it back to them in LA? Do things like that exist?

Even if you didn't do that, 6 hours a day is fine if you're two or more and can take turns driving, and who cares if 2 weeks turned into 3 anyway? He might also just be using "a couple" to mean 2-3, not strictly two. Some people do that. I don't, though. That's just crazy.

Jinx
04-06-2013, 08:23 PM
Yeah really, two weeks across the US seems pretty doable. If you're lucky, maybe there are car rental companies that have offices on both sides of the country so that you could just rent it near NY and give it back to them in LA? Does things like that exist?

Yes.

Mirage
04-06-2013, 08:43 PM
Cool!

I kinda want to do this some time.

Iceglow
04-06-2013, 08:50 PM
Yeah really, two weeks across the US seems pretty doable. If you're lucky, maybe there are car rental companies that have offices on both sides of the country so that you could just rent it near NY and give it back to them in LA? Does things like that exist?

Yes.

Or just do it the Top Gear way and buy a cheap second hand car/bike on arrival and sell/give it away when you get to LA.

Shorty
04-06-2013, 08:52 PM
I'm doing a trip from one side to the other later this year. So excited! I've always wanted to take a road trip across the country.

Mirage
04-06-2013, 08:58 PM

Yes.

Or just do it the Top Gear way and buy a cheap second hand car/bike on arrival and sell/give it away when you get to LA.

Well, if I'm going to spend that many hours in a car, I want it to be at least reasonably comfortable to drive.

sharkythesharkdogg
04-06-2013, 09:24 PM
A road trip across Europe always sounded fun, or maybe Russia.

escobert
04-06-2013, 10:12 PM
I'm doing a trip from one side to the other later this year. So excited! I've always wanted to take a road trip across the country.

are you coming to New England!? :D

Calliope
04-06-2013, 10:20 PM

Take me with you?

Shorty
04-06-2013, 10:23 PM
Yes and yes!

oh oh nicky, I was gonna fly out of New York for the wedding!

Calliope
04-06-2013, 10:53 PM
That is boss, I wish I could go to the wedding, but nooooooooooooooo, apparently I have to spent $2000 on an MRI instead :cry:

/lifechoices

Jinx
04-06-2013, 10:57 PM
I am totally hanging out with Sarah.

IT WILL BE AWESOME.

The two of us and Denmark are gonna drink gin. It is known.

Pike
04-06-2013, 11:03 PM
Sarah come move to Bozeman, we'll share an apartment and it will be great

Laddy
04-06-2013, 11:25 PM
Sarah, you need to stop by Memphis! We can go eat FroYo and attend a Spoon concert together!

Pike
04-06-2013, 11:40 PM
Laddy come move into an apartment with me and Sarah it'll be like the world's nerdiest sitcom

Laddy
04-06-2013, 11:42 PM
It'll be like a nerdy Will & Grace. The laugh track will be replaced by gigglesnorts.

Jinx
04-06-2013, 11:51 PM
Laddy's already my boo.

Get your hands offa my man.

Pike
04-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Don't listen to her womanly wiles Laddy I've got Deus Ex

Laddy
04-07-2013, 12:17 AM
It's like Betty and Veronica in here. :lol:

Pike
04-07-2013, 12:18 AM
Except Betty has Deus Ex

Quindiana Jones
04-07-2013, 03:17 AM
Yeah really, two weeks across the US seems pretty doable. If you're lucky, maybe there are car rental companies that have offices on both sides of the country so that you could just rent it near NY and give it back to them in LA? Do things like that exist?

Even if you didn't do that, 6 hours a day is fine if you're two or more and can take turns driving, and who cares if 2 weeks turned into 3 anyway? He might also just be using "a couple" to mean 2-3, not strictly two. Some people do that. I don't, though. That's just crazy.

Oh yeah, I know it's possible. But it would be shit, and he was talking about being all touristy and chilled, too.

Jinx
04-07-2013, 04:09 AM
That would be plenty of time. :confused:

Pike
04-07-2013, 10:41 AM
well

not really I guess, you wouldn't get to see much

Mirage
04-07-2013, 10:44 AM
3 hours on the road, 8 hours sleep, that's like 13 hours a day to do other stuff! If you drive 6 hours one day you'll have like 16 hours of spare time the next day too!

Well, I guess you'd need to take detours here and there to get to the cool places. In either case, make it 2.5 weeks and it'll be unproblematic!

Pike
04-07-2013, 10:57 AM
yeah it would work if everything you wanted to see was on the interstate but you'd be missing a lot, I think

Madame Adequate
04-07-2013, 11:32 AM

Take me and Pike with you :hyper:

Pike
04-07-2013, 11:34 AM

Take me and Pike with you :hyper:

You're going to get carsick, dear :(

Madame Adequate
04-07-2013, 11:35 AM
>Tfw can never do anything fun like that because every journey in a car is to be endured, not enjoyed

Mirage
04-09-2013, 05:27 PM
No problem, milf. I can be your body double.