PDA

View Full Version : The Positive Gaming Thread

Pike
04-06-2013, 08:08 PM
There's too much negativity in this subforum right now. Let's talk about games and things in games and/or the game industry that make you happy.

The first person to pull a "the game you mentioned sucks amirite EH EH?" or a "I AM SO SUPERIOR TO YOU BECAUSE I PLAY SOME CONSOLE THAT YOU DON'T!!!11!! I AM SO INTELLIGENT! LE EPIC RUSEMAN!!!11" is getting about eleven different slaps on the wrist :colbert:

So I'll start. I love little "TECHNOLOGY!" moments in games like when you're playing a game where you can drive and your character looks behind himself whilst backing up, or something like that. Just little touches :)

Jinx
04-06-2013, 08:11 PM
I like fun games.

Del Murder
04-06-2013, 08:25 PM
I like that handheld gaming is being used as the platform for throwbacks to the 16-bit and PS1 era. Such as Radiant Historia or any of Nintendo's platformers.

I also like when studios develop new IPs that try to do something a little different. This generation saw the Assassin's Creed and Mass Effect series, which both opened my eyes to possibilities of gaming.

I like that storytelling is being taken to a new level in games. Red Dead Redemption and Xenoblade Chronicles had deep involving stories that had me hooked as much as the gameplay did.

Pike
04-06-2013, 08:57 PM
I like that handheld gaming is being used as the platform for throwbacks to the 16-bit and PS1 era. Such as Radiant Historia or any of Nintendo's platformers.

I love that too! Most of my older games aren't actually owned by me, they're at my mom's house a million miles away, so love getting ports of my chlidhood favorites.

Bolivar
04-06-2013, 09:05 PM
I like that we're in a golden age of competitive gaming. The first official CoD eSports championships are underway today, Tactical Intervention just came out, Dota 2 is the most played game on Steam, and League of Legends is even bigger. Oh, and there's a new Starcraft.

Dr. rydrum2112
04-07-2013, 12:15 AM
I love getting into characters' backstories when the story is well written.

Slothy
04-07-2013, 12:53 AM
I've been playing the new Tomb Raider and got to a point where you get a grenade launcher attachment for your assault rifle. After blowing up a barricade with it you can hear the enemies in the next section yelling something like "Oh trout she's got a grenade launcher! Run!"

And Lara yells back at them, "that's right, run you bastards! I'm coming for all of you!"

I smurfing love this game.

Formalhaut
04-07-2013, 01:16 AM
I like games that make me smile. I don't necessarily need a fancy control method or anything: it just needs to make me smile. It sounds vague, but it's impossible to describe.

One game that makes me smile is Theatrhythm. I love that game. I also really like The World Ends With You, for it's gameplay and it's story and connections. Finally, playing a game with friends make me smile the most. I hardly ever do that!

Værn
04-07-2013, 09:20 AM
I like games in which character design is open-ended enough for me to get away with doing random things. Like DDO. Is my fighter, Fasinthe Facefister, as effective as a barbarian with a battleaxe? Perhaps not, but he gets his job done. Is he more fun to play than that generic barbarian? I say yes, he certainly is.

Karifean
04-07-2013, 10:11 AM
I love Final Fantasy and I think the games are great to this day.

Madame Adequate
04-07-2013, 11:48 AM
Modding. I just fucking love modding. It can add so so so much life to a game.

Slothy
04-07-2013, 12:10 PM
Modding. I just fucking love modding. It can add so so so much life to a game.

Modding Natural Selection 2 is a downright heavenly experience.

Go to Steam workshop -> subscribe to desired mod -> start Natural Selection 2 -> turn mod on in mods menu

It's seriously that easy. And does a mod require restarting the game to activate? Click on the restart button in the mods menu and it happens in literally a couple of seconds.

Dr. rydrum2112
04-07-2013, 02:35 PM
I should add two things 1)a well executed plot twist is a cool thing to experience. 2) second a world/setting that changes & reacts to events in the game. 3) Related to that I think a well developed and in depth world makes for a more immersive experience.

Night Fury
04-07-2013, 03:12 PM
Recently I started playing Skyrim again (I couldn't get into it the first time) and omg, I'm amazed! It's like... WHERE HAS THIS GAME BEEN MY WHOLE LIFE? I actually have... "Skyrim Time" at some point through the day - if not ALL day. Amazing.

It has so much depth, and I love customising characters, and and and and I just love it! I can't wait to play more of the Elder Scrolls series! I've played so many amazing games this year though after having gone off gaming for a a very long time, I think it's mostly to do with this forum though, for giving me some great recommendations and I stuck them out! I LOVE GAMING again and I can't get enough!

:)

YEEEY SUNSHINE AND RAINBOWS AND GAMES! :D

Fynn
04-08-2013, 06:18 AM
Last Halloween I discovered my endless love for Silent Hill 2. The story is just incredibly realistic, I mean emotionally.

I also finally got to finish what I consider to be the best game ever last summer - Xenoblade Chronicles :) I still don't think it even gets half of the praise it deserves. I also beat the Last Story that same summer. I loved the battle system, the personality of the party members besides the main couple (who were, sadly, boring as smurf) and the themes the story touched upon (that it's not a magical fairy tale, etc.). My little brother got Pandora's Tower this Christmas and I cannot wait to play it.

So yeah, the Wii is my favorite home console this generation, but I still love the DS's line up the most. I wanna go up and say it's the best console ever, in my opinion, though. I understand how people may think differently, so this is not an objective statement. Anyway, I don't think I ever played a bad DS game. I loved the games I played lately inmensely - Radiant Historia, Pokemon Black 2, Pokemon Conquest. I still have to beat SMT: Strange Journey and Front Mission, which I couldn't. Not because they're bad or not as awesome, but because I sucked so hard at them. But someday I will and it's gonna be be glorious :)

This year I also discovered that the iPhone is getting better and better as a gaming device. I beat Final Fantasy Dimensions, TWEWY (which I sadly missed out on for the DS :( ) and Chaos Rings II which I enjoyed immensely. Now I'm playing the FFV port and it is surprisingly excellent :D

Quindiana Jones
04-08-2013, 06:30 AM
I love turning off the minimap in beautifully crafted sandbox games, like Red Dead, because I then start paying attention to the world and everything in it. It's truly wonderful, and I strongly suggest you all try it.

Mirage
04-08-2013, 08:11 AM
I really like dynamic weather systems, and subtle atmospheric lighting effects, such as ambient occlusion, and so called god rays, and those shadow rays around objects that are on front of bright lights. I like how that was implemented in 13-2. I don't think 13 had that. I also think gt5 has some of the best use of hdr bloom in games today.

I also really like it when environmental sound effects are done so well that I don't even miss or notice that the bgm has stopped.

another thing that I think is awesome is that fighting games are pretty popular again. they had kind of a dump in popularity around the beginning of the 00s.

Unbreakable Will
04-08-2013, 04:25 PM
I absolutely love the background aspects of Skyrim, the enormous amounts well written books in-game are just like candy to me.

"Oh look a copy of Gods and Worship, screw that bloke trying to attack me! Let's read!"

I also love seeing things like the Admonition against Ebony, where it was a handwritten note from the Jarl and his court wizard warning you not to take the daedric weapon the Ebony Blade. It just adds to the experience.

My favorite easter egg from skyrim was seeing the dead troll underneath a dwemer bridge, fucking hilarious.

Vermachtnis
04-08-2013, 04:52 PM
I like it when games let you min/max to absurdities. Breaking games if fun, but it's even more fun if the developers saw it coming and can still throw out monsters to fuck with you. And I don't mean the optional kind either, which had better be able to stand up us. I mean plot-related monsters that adapt to you're strategies.

But more than that, I like that moment right after you get the full party and you go to the airship/hidden base/End of Time and see them all there. It's great. And on the party select screen when there are blanks and seeing all those filed in, I love it. Especially in games that force you into parties in the beginning.

Like that moment in FFXIII, sure it's almost everyone's favorite moment, but for different reasons and mine is because I can finally wreck shit with Fang, Snow, and Vanille. Or in FFIX when you get on the boat about halfway through Disc 2. I mean sure you're still missing Eiko and Amarant, but it's the first time you get to select your party. Or in FFVII when you leave Midgard.

Pike
04-08-2013, 05:41 PM
I absolutely love the background aspects of Skyrim, the enormous amounts well written books in-game are just like candy to me.

Please tell me you played the other TES games too :jess: :jess: so we can talk about books and lore :jess: :jess:

Formalhaut
04-08-2013, 05:57 PM
And on the party select screen when there are blanks and seeing all those filed in, I love it. Especially in games that force you into parties in the beginning.

I loved this. Especially on FFVII where you one by one start filling in the gaps. But then of course, one of them dies so it's like, oh crap.

Unbreakable Will
04-08-2013, 06:00 PM

Please tell me you played the other TES games too :jess: :jess: so we can talk about books and lore :jess: :jess:

Yeah I played the hell out of Oblivion, it's the only game out of like fifty that I have all the achievements for (dlc included). I'm proud-ashamed of it lol

Pike
04-08-2013, 06:07 PM

Yeah I played the hell out of Oblivion, it's the only game out of like fifty that I have all the achievements for (dlc included). I'm proud-ashamed of it lol

PLAY MORROWIND!! :jess: :jess: :jess: :jess: It has the best lore and books out of all the TES games.

Laddy
04-08-2013, 06:07 PM
That moment when the game opens up and just sort of kicks you loose and you explore and discover things is pretty incredible.

Unbreakable Will
04-08-2013, 06:21 PM
I've been wanting to play Morrowind but haven't gotten around to buying a copy or much less the original xbox. I will someday though, I saw online that this dude did an entire revamp of it's graphics and it looked excellent. If I see it again I'll post a link... now where was it? Damn you stumbleupon.

Pike
04-08-2013, 06:29 PM
I've been wanting to play Morrowind but haven't gotten around to buying a copy or much less the original xbox. I will someday though, I saw online that this dude did an entire revamp of it's graphics and it looked excellent. If I see it again I'll post a link... now where was it? Damn you stumbleupon.

Morrowind Overhaul » Ornitocopter (http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/) :)

KH-Cloudy
04-08-2013, 06:32 PM
I love it when games allow you to customize/recolor the armor. I feel that more in control and I like to look awesome while killing things. :)

Vermachtnis
04-08-2013, 06:45 PM
That moment when the game opens up and just sort of kicks you loose and you explore and discover things is pretty incredible.

Just realized that happens just about the same time the party selection becomes available too.

Unbreakable Will
04-08-2013, 06:52 PM

Morrowind Overhaul » Ornitocopter (http://www.ornitocopter.net/morrowind-overhaul/) :)
Bahaha! That's it!

Shoeberto
04-08-2013, 06:55 PM
Emulation is amazing. I love being able to revisit the past without necessarily having to lug around all of the old hardware. I've now got my main gaming PC hooked up to the TV with a 360 wireless pad, and emulation is so much better than it used to be.

My girlfriend didn't game a huge amount when she was younger, just a few select games, but giving her the chance to re-experience them has been great - it's filled her with this childlike wonder and given us a chance to connect in new ways. It started with just Super Mario World, which we blasted through and looked for all of the secrets, but the real gem was when I decided to look into PS2 emulators a few weeks back and got Kingdom Hearts. It's the only JRPG she's played that I know of, and I got it fairly absent mindedly, thinking she might just like the chance to replay it. But when she saw it loaded, it meant the world to her, and we've had a pretty serious playthrough of it going ever since; which is great, because it's a game I've only tried before and got sorta frustrated with, so it's been a lot of fun to take it on together.

For me, I'm happy to go back and check out games again that I haven't seen since my younger days. FFVI has been a big one for me, mostly being played on my phone. I just see the whole thing through new eyes and it's wonderful. I'm also giving Majora's Mask a solid play-through for the first time, with an HD texture pack, and it's seriously the coolest thing. I just sit and think: Here I am, playing an N64 game on my PC, using a wireless Xbox 360 pad, all upscaled with remastered textures. When I was a kid, I'd have never dreamed that this sort of thing would even be remotely possible, but now it's right in front of me. It's a beautiful thing.

I seriously think that the industry is in a bit of a creative rut right now, as far as big-budget AAA titles go, but otherwise it is such a great time to be a gamer.

Madame Adequate
04-08-2013, 07:21 PM
I love it when games allow you to customize/recolor the armor. I feel that more in control and I like to look awesome while killing things. :)

I love character customization of any sort, but when it's well-reflected in your appearance then yeah it can be even better!

Mirage
04-08-2013, 08:46 PM

I like this a lot too!

Even better, the game lets you pick between a huge selection of armor or clothing that doesn't actually make you stronger or weaker, so that you can look however the fuck you want while still being goddamn awesome.