PDA

View Full Version : Windows Live Messenger says bye bye!

Aulayna
04-11-2013, 07:26 PM
The next chapter for the Windows Live Messenger network (http://blogs.windows.com/windows_live/b/windowslive/archive/2012/11/06/the-next-chapter-for-the-windows-live-messenger-network.aspx)

The article is old but it looks like WLM is being disabled at the end of April. :(

I'm sure for many of us during the days of AIM/MSN/Y!M/ICQ wars over which IM client was better we may have used it's predecessor MSN Messenger.

I admittedly haven't used WLM in a while but I have found memories of talking to Pike and other forum goers to the wee hours of the morning as well as drawing random doodles in the whiteboard and sending silly video game voice clips to each other.

Discuss you old IM with forum-goer memories here!

Psychotic
04-11-2013, 07:29 PM
I use it daily, and Skype can fuck off, it's a bag of ass. :colbert: I've used this messenger and the same account since 2001ish. I'm the Captain of the Titanic and I will go down with the ship.

Pike
04-11-2013, 07:33 PM
aMSN, which is an open source clone of MSN, is going to continue to use the MSN servers until they physically switch 'em off (which I hear isn't until next year sometime.)

MILF and I are proud aMSN master race :}

P.S. Aul I have some screenshots somewhere of you and I messing around in MSN xD

Denmark
04-11-2013, 07:39 PM
I loved MSN back in the day. I used it way more than the forums or chat up to 2009. Giant group chats were crazy. I also had a ton of custom emoticons which were the best things ever.

For now, when I IM (which isn't that common), I use Skype. It's okay, I guess, but I don't use it that often and don't talk to very many people on it. There's also Facebook chat but, meh. I prefer IRC these days (though I'm on it less than I used to be).

Rantz
04-11-2013, 07:44 PM
RIP MSN. I never much liked you, but I have some good memories. Crying tears of blood in my agony.

Shiny
04-11-2013, 07:52 PM
I had so many dear sweet memories on MSN messenger voice or text chatting with EoFFers. One time Freya flashed me her boobs. That was also good. The best is the cool face smiley. The only thing on aim that's good is the :aimkiss:

Skype has no good smilies. They're all awful.

Pike
04-11-2013, 08:01 PM
My favorite part about MSN is custom smileys so MILF and I can have deep and enlightening conversations like this:

Parker
04-12-2013, 12:04 AM
I am sad it is going even though I only use it now to speak to about two people. merging accounts in skype didn't go as I expected and I now have to sign in with my microsoft account (which I was hoping to retire).

I've been using MSN as long as I have used the internet so I am sad to see it go (I can still login tho so idk)

Pike
04-12-2013, 01:17 AM
I think you'll still be able to log in for a little while before they shut down the servers. (hopefully it's a long while before they reach that point)

Jinx
04-12-2013, 02:25 AM
I will miss Winks. Especially that little stick figure guy who sticks his tongue out at you and goes "LALALALALALALA." He is my favourite.

Agent Proto
04-12-2013, 02:39 AM
I didn't like WLM or MSN messenger. I hated it, but I used it sometimes when I want to talk to certain people who didn't have AIM or Y!M. I don't think I'm going to miss it very much, so good riddance?

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-12-2013, 02:47 AM
Meh, I have been using my MSN account on Skype for a while now.

Calliope
04-12-2013, 02:53 AM
MSN has a messenger?

krissy
04-12-2013, 03:01 AM
i only used it for minesweeper flags

KH-Cloudy
04-12-2013, 03:17 AM
Didn't use it too much, but when I did use it I'd abuse the nudge command. I'm more of a AOL guy myself having growing up with it and all the free trial disks they'd send in the mail.

Rebellious Eagle
04-12-2013, 03:44 AM
I never used WLM, mostly just AIM and MSN. Today I usually just use Gtalk when I need to but instant messaging is kind of a thing of the past for me, back in my middle school days.

Mirage
04-12-2013, 04:16 AM
I generally just use skype instead now, but the skype android client is unstable as fuck. :(.

Shorty
04-12-2013, 05:23 AM
I greatly dislike Skype messenger. RIP MSN, I will miss you dearly.

Bunny
04-12-2013, 05:28 AM
I often forgot I had it.

NorthernChaosGod
04-12-2013, 08:40 AM
The only good thing about MSN/Live messenger was nudges. Everything else can die in a fire.

G13
04-12-2013, 09:16 AM
But, Julian... smurf yo' couch! :(

Pheesh
04-12-2013, 09:36 AM
I haven't used it in years, I remember downloading a new version once and it was like this fullscreen window that wanted to sync with everything and I was just "nope." It sucks because for years MSN was where I wasted all the time that I was meant to be studying, I still have all of my old msn logs saved somewhere and some of them are absolutely hilarious. Good times.

Loony BoB
04-12-2013, 02:56 PM
I never liked it, personally. I prefer (and still use to this day) Yahoo! Messenger, AIM and IRC. Skype's okay, but I'm not used to using it.

Burtsplurt
04-12-2013, 11:13 PM
I genuinely thought that MSN had disappeared years ago. It isn't on my current (Windows) computer, so I just assumed they'd got rid of it.

It was okay, I guess. I can't really think how it could be improved, unless there was some kind of feature that allowed people to convey sarcasm.

Shorty
04-12-2013, 11:21 PM
I preferred AIM, but all my friends started moving over to MSN so I did as well. Now there's NOTHING LEFT.

Shauna
04-12-2013, 11:22 PM
I haven't used the program in yeeeeaaaars. No big loss for me. :3

Formalhaut
04-12-2013, 11:30 PM
I don't think I've EVER used it, or anything similar to it. Hell, the only chat interface thing I've ever used is the EoFF Live Chat, and even then I only go in there when I'm feeling brave and have hours of time to kill.

DMKA
04-13-2013, 12:37 AM
I don't use any IM programs anymore, so this won't really affect me.

But I did used to talk to a lot of EoFFers with MSN. And AIM. Nothing was more fun than the Yahoo voice chats we had with Joel professing his love and screaming at Spaceman Spiff though. :p

Raistlin
04-13-2013, 01:22 AM
I preferred AIM, but all my friends started moving over to MSN so I did as well. Now there's NOTHING LEFT.

Pretty much. The same thing happened to me years before that with ICQ losing out to AIM. It's the circle of life internet.

Pike
04-13-2013, 01:25 AM
so am I the only person who still uses MSN on a daily basis

I mean it's just to talk to Huxley and no one else BUT STILL

Pheesh
04-13-2013, 02:23 AM
As far as I was aware msn had become the messenger app that's on my windows 8, I didn't even know it still existed as msn.

Goldenboko
04-13-2013, 02:47 AM
Memorieeeeees.

Mirage
04-13-2013, 02:10 PM
so am I the only person who still uses MSN on a daily basis

I mean it's just to talk to Huxley and no one else BUT STILL

I still use it! Via Skype.

Renmiri
04-13-2013, 05:19 PM
I never liked it, personally. I prefer (and still use to this day) Yahoo! Messenger, AIM and IRC. Skype's okay, but I'm not used to using it.

I moved away from MSN when they went WLM. That is when I realized most of my contacts were people I seldom talked to and that crappy bloated WLM was unnecessary. Y!M has nudges, smilies, can share videos and pictures and is good enough for me. Skype is too bloated for me. My kids use Pesterchum so I use that too.

Last year someone hacked into my old MSN login and put an x rated avatar and started asking my friends for credit card numbers to do livecam chats O.o That is when I deleted the account.

NorthernChaosGod
04-16-2013, 07:04 PM
But, Julian... smurf yo' couch! :(

Okay, okay. That was good.

blackmage_nuke
04-17-2013, 01:10 AM
On the one hand I'll be sad to see it go but on the otherhand thank god theyre getting rid of one of the major chat clients so I dont have to keep updating it every 3 months when I want to talk to one particular person but I dont want to have them on my facebook and they dont have skype/Y!M.

I havent really used it since highschool. It had the best smilies and the best 8ball Pool (I use to make new accounts to play since the game only lets you play for 2 weeks). At least I'll always have my logs...somewhere.