PDA

View Full Version : Vegetables

DK
04-16-2013, 08:12 PM
What's your stance? Do you love them? Do you avoid them at all costs? Have you always felt that way or was it a gradual process?

For me, I think up until my early teenage years I always kind of just ate them because I was supposed to. I never really looked forward to it or particularly enjoyed it but I didn't hate them either. But the older I get the more I enjoy them. I think the first time I really loved a vegetable was the first time my dad made this one particular stir fry he used to make, which had a lot of garlic and ginger and he also threw some broccoli in there. Oh man, my mouth is watering right now. I don't know what the fuck it is about it but broccoli, garlic and ginger is an amazing combination, especially the ginger.

Ever since I've been unable to regularly get ahold of them I'm starting to miss certain vegetables as well. I long for Savoy cabbage. I will eat it with almost anything, I love it. Spinach is the same deal, love it, especially in a curry. Asparagus is amazing and I want to eat it more often.

I'm not good with all of them though. Not really a big fan of peppers. Don't like parsnip much either. Cauliflower is pretty bland and pointless.

Either way, discuss vegetables.

Miriel
04-16-2013, 08:49 PM
I used to hate a lot of veggies. Or even veggies I didn't hate, I just refused to eat for no real reason. But now I eat everything! It's fun discovering new veggies. Super fresh, simply prepared veggies are just amazing. Roasted broccoli with a little lemon juice and garlic, blanched snap peas with just a little salt and pepper, grilled asparagus, sauteed mushrooms, sooo good!

Cauliflower. I did not like cauliflower (agreed on the bland pointless thing) until about a month ago. Try this recipe: Cauliflower Purée Recipe at Epicurious.com (http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Cauliflower-Puree-106072)

Seriously. Go out right now and buy some cauliflower and make this recipe. It is balls to the walls delicious.

I think part of growing up is learning to like veggies.

Pumpkin
04-16-2013, 09:44 PM
I'm not a huge veggie fan, but I do like a lot of veggies. It's just not my go-to choice usually. Except for potatoes. I enjoy most of my vegetables with butter or cream or both.

Jinx
04-16-2013, 10:28 PM
Whenever I got to my Indian buffet and they do not have Vegetable Korma and/or Saag Paneer, I throw a fucking hissy fit.

I love veggies.

Shauna
04-16-2013, 10:37 PM
Veggies are great. Always enjoyed them, always will. xD

Iceglow
04-16-2013, 11:51 PM
I used to hate veg when I was a kid. Literally hated them.

Then I became vegetarian for 4+ years. That kinda forced me to change my perspective on them, it opened my eyes. I still won't eat the veg my mom serves at christmas or on her sunday roast much because my mom is traditional British in her idea of how you cook them; carrots, parsnips and potatoes may be roasted. The rest must be boiled, not steamed or boiled for a few mins (i.e. less than 10 mins) but boiled until they form a mush at the bottom of the drainer. I hate veg like that. I'm still not fond of Sprouts or Parsnips but I'll eat almost anything if prepared right. This means steamed when steaming is best, roast when roasted is the only true way to serve them.

fire_of_avalon
04-17-2013, 01:46 AM
I love vegetables! Except onions, mushrooms and most variations on cabbage (BUT NOT ALL. but not all.) And not RAMPS guhhhhhguhguhguhguh shew!

I like vegetables prepared lots of different ways, BUT I ALSO LIKE FORAGED VEGETABLES.

Unbreakable Will
04-17-2013, 02:02 AM
Blech. Veggies are gross. :-/

Loony BoB
04-17-2013, 10:41 AM
I can't think of many vegetables I don't like. I mean, I don't like onions on their own, like... onion rings etc. Red onion is okay in small amounts, but most of the time I'm served it the cook in question tends to put on too much for me. I really don't like asparagus. Brussel sprouts I can eat but I don't enjoy them on their own. Same for spinach. And as for tomato, it really depends on how it's cooked/prepared/served. I'm not sure of anything else, though, off the top of my head... Oh, if you count mushroom as a veg, I detest it. Bean sprouts and bamboo are things I find very bland and I dislike them based on that, but I can obviously still eat them.

I'll happily eat potato, carrot, peas, beans, cauliflower, broccoli, corn, peppers, parsnip, celery, lettuce, cabbage, lentil, rice... 'sall good. I miss my mum's cooking, she would make some great vegetable based foods. =x
The most commonly eaten veg at our place... probably carrots/peas/cauliflower (steamed veg packs), onions/peppers (fajitas) and carrot/broccoli/baby corn/sugar snap peas (stir fry).

The things I disliked as a kid but eat now? Not much, as I was always forced into eating most of my veg. I like peppers a whole lot more than I did back then. I tolerate spinach more, perhaps tomato too.

EDIT: Of my mum's cooking, I'd say my favourite non-standard thing would probably be carrot & parsnip mash. Mmmmmmm...

Night Fury
04-17-2013, 01:32 PM
I love veggies, in fact I could probably live on vegetarian dishes as meat can be so expensive sometimes so I don't buy it often - usually just as a treat.

Some of my favourite dishes to make are ones that are usually quite plain, but I always cram in lots of veggies. Like Spaghetti Bolognese, over here it's very different to the standard Italian one, I make it absolutely jam packed with big chunks of onion, pepper, courgette and mushroom.

I also love beans/pulses! I make a delicious butter bean and vegetable risotto. Mmmmm veggies!

Quindiana Jones
04-17-2013, 02:58 PM
Brocolli is probably the coolest vegetable.

Calliope
04-20-2013, 04:00 AM
Asparagus, broccoli, mung beans, chard, kale, brussel sprouts, potatoes, carrots, mushrooms, spinach, cauliflower, kumara, pumpkin, give me all of the vegetables!

When I get home I am going to eat a lot of kale. That is all.