PDA

View Full Version : Stubborn

Pumpkin
04-17-2013, 05:28 AM
Are you stubborn? I am very stubborn. When my mind is set on something, that's where it stays. For a very long time. Sometimes even when I know I'm wrong about something.

Here's a nice story of my stubbornness. Imagine little 6-year-old shion. I was at my grandmothers house. She had made something for dinner, which I can't remember, but I was full and couldn't finish my plate. Well my grandmother was convinced that I was lying and saying I was full (I really was full) so that I could skip dinner and eat a piece of her strawberry cake afterwards. So by this point I was offended that I was being accused of lying. I told her I was really full and I didn't want any cake. She insisted yet again that I was lying. "If you don't eat your dinner, you don't get any strawberry cake." Well, I was angry so I said "I don't want any. I don't even like strawberries!" Which wasn't true, I did like strawberries. But because I was upset and said that, I refused to eat strawberries for almost a year after that, because I was too stubborn to admit I just said that out of anger.

I tried strawberries after that year and you know what? I didn't like them anymore. I tried them again a few years ago. Still don't like them. Apparently I am so stubborn I actually convinced myself to not like strawberries.

Unbreakable Will
04-17-2013, 06:46 AM
How can ye have any pudding, if ye don't eat yer meat?

Yeah, I'm a stubborn ass at times although I will relent if proven wrong at least. When I know I'm right though... talk about driving something into the ground man, I will not let it go until I'm vindicated or apologized to.

Shlup
04-17-2013, 06:49 AM
There's a difference between being stubborn and always being right.

Unbreakable Will
04-17-2013, 06:53 AM
Shit, can I use that? :D

Jinx
04-17-2013, 06:54 AM
Let's put it this way:

When I was 8, I saw an egret in Pennsylvania. It's a type of bird, if you're not sure what that is. I said it was a flamingo, because I didn't know what it was called. Everyone laughed at me and teased me so hard, I maintained that since I was the only who had seen it (which is true), that they had no way of knowing, and it was a flamingo.

Nearly 14 goddamn years later, any time anyone brings up that story, I still say it was a flamingo.

Formalhaut
04-17-2013, 07:14 AM
I'm definitely stubborn about myself, as I'm sure many of you on here have realised :p

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-17-2013, 08:37 AM
I have been told that I'd cut my nose off to spite my face. The more some pressures me to do something, the less likely I will do it. Also, most cases of reverse psychology are too transparent that I will still not do it.

Loony BoB
04-17-2013, 10:23 AM
There's a difference between being stubborn and always being right.
:up:

Rebellious Eagle
04-17-2013, 04:56 PM
I'm pretty sure my middle name should be stubborn.

Shorty
04-17-2013, 05:28 PM
I'm not stubborn. :colbert:

Agent Proto
04-17-2013, 05:31 PM
People who claim to be stubborn are usually stubborn for the wrong reasons.

Lonely Paper Star
04-17-2013, 05:41 PM
I'm incredibly stubborn in real life. >.>

Cloudane
04-17-2013, 06:12 PM
I am not stubborn and never will be, no matter what you say.

Shoeberto
04-17-2013, 06:34 PM
I think stubbornness is a pretty bad trait to have.

It's one thing to stand your ground on something that's important, but otherwise you just end up creating a lot of unnecessary drama over stupid shit for the sake of it.

I think it's dumb.

fire_of_avalon
04-18-2013, 12:17 AM
I'm incredibly determined.

the_best_noob
04-18-2013, 01:45 AM
Once I got frostbite because I was too stubborn to go in and get a glove. It wasn't bad, but it did show my mom that I was and still am the epitome of stubborness

Faris
04-18-2013, 02:41 AM
Sometimes I am but sometimes not.

Pheesh
04-18-2013, 04:02 AM
I can be. But I usually don't care about anything enough to be stubborn about it. Not sure if that's better or worse.

blackmage_nuke
04-18-2013, 04:27 AM
Im stubborn in my mind because I'll stick to what I think but in practice I tend to just go with the flow and say "I told you so" the whole way through

Night Fury
04-18-2013, 11:47 AM
Sometimes I am but sometimes not.

Aulayna
04-18-2013, 11:53 AM
90% of the members of this forum are stubborn.

The other 10% are just good at hiding it.

Madame Adequate
04-18-2013, 01:40 PM
I wouldn't say I'm very stubborn. I tend to just roll with stuff and I'm happy enough if other people want to do stuff I might not be 100% behind to go along with it anyway. Being stubborn has usually just resulted in me clinging onto being wrong, or drags me into stupid debates in EoEO.

Then again there was that time my math teacher was wrong and I was right, and I was too stubborn to cave and eventually I demonstrated to the class and then to her why I was correct. Took like 20 minutes of arguing though.

I am principled though, and I will try to do what I think is right with as much strength as I can muster.

escobert
04-18-2013, 10:30 PM
I'm very stubborn and so are my friends. So when we disagree we just tell one another they're wrong all day long.

Iceglow
04-19-2013, 01:00 AM
Yeah I can be stubborn as hell, I have my reasons. Being stubborn is not always a bad thing. Everyone tends to see being stubborn as a bad thing but if I wasn't stubborn I wouldn't even be here now. I think one of the main things what kept me alive and made me fight to survive was simply the rule of; why the hell should I let anyone else win? That stubborn streak kept me going way past the point of winning.

~*~Celes~*~
04-21-2013, 01:39 AM
I am stubborn about certain things. My husband, however, is ridiculously stubborn -_-

Cloudane
04-21-2013, 03:03 AM
http://i.imgur.com/jYIF6fb.jpg

Unbreakable Will
04-21-2013, 04:25 AM
Just discovered that stubborness may be a genetic trait, my child decided that, today, she'd be stubborn enough to refuse to drink anything unless it came via a bottle... so much for weening her this week.

Shoeberto
04-21-2013, 06:37 PM
Yeah I can be stubborn as hell, I have my reasons. Being stubborn is not always a bad thing. Everyone tends to see being stubborn as a bad thing but if I wasn't stubborn I wouldn't even be here now. I think one of the main things what kept me alive and made me fight to survive was simply the rule of; why the hell should I let anyone else win? That stubborn streak kept me going way past the point of winning.
That sounds sociopathic.

Iceglow
04-21-2013, 07:54 PM
there's nothing about that what I believe is sociopathic. I just have a simple enough rule; Never, never, never give up.

Shoeberto
04-22-2013, 02:45 PM
there's nothing about that what I believe is sociopathic. I just have a simple enough rule; Never, never, never give up.
"Never give up" and "Never let anyone else win" are two very different attitudes.

Pike
04-24-2013, 04:09 PM
I wouldn't say I'm very stubborn. I tend to just roll with stuff and I'm happy enough if other people want to do stuff I might not be 100% behind to go along with it anyway. Being stubborn has usually just resulted in me clinging onto being wrong, or drags me into stupid debates in EoEO.

Replace "stupid debates in EoEO" with "stupid debates in General Gaming or one of the FF subforums" and this is also me.

Night Fury
04-24-2013, 08:40 PM
Fine Sam. I will join this party and confess my stubborn sin.

I will refuse to openly admit that I like anything my housemate raves about purely because I'm a bigger fucking nerd than her and she doesn't love things as much as I do so I just tell her I don't like it so I don't have to engage that conversation.

:colbert:

Iceglow
04-29-2013, 09:24 AM
"Never give up" and "Never let anyone else win" are two very different attitudes.

They are one and same when you have the context right, you seem to be removing the context in which it is meant and playing it up to make it look sociopathic. What is clearly meant by my "never let anyone else win" attitude is simply this:

People in this world will seek to put you down, break your confidence and all around generally act like a colossal pile of steaming shit. They are the people who simply seek to make your life a misery, to provide you with a reason your day is ruined. Given half a chance they're the ones who will push you off a cliff if they thought they could get away with it. No one is so universally loved as to be able to claim they have not got someone out there who feels such about them.

I will never let those people win over me, I will not be deterred from being who I am... regardless of their attempts to break me down. Hence my attitude is that of both "Never let anyone else win" and "never, give up" and my definition that they are the one and same.

I am not stating that I cannot accept when I am wrong or in the wrong for I've proven many times that I can. If I couldn't I doubt I would have the friends I do have or work in my field. If I were a sociopath it is likely I would ever admit to being in the wrong on anything or to having lost even when the result is clear which is simply untrue.