PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy Versus XIII Info coming soon - No, really this time... maybe!

Aulayna
04-17-2013, 10:40 AM

Square Enix are still playing coy when it comes to succulent details regarding the much anticipated Final Fantasy Versus XIII. However, in a case of no news that's actually news - much ado about nothing may have reared it's head again. Speaking on a Square Enix radio program the designer Tetsuya Nomura was quizzed for updates on the predicted vaporware.

Coincidentally Versus XIII actually did turn into a vapor in the form of a perfume that got revealed a bit too early by Square Enix's shop, MD. (https://twitter.com/hidemi_mad_dog/status/303461006418509824)

Nomura explained that even within Square Enix itself news regarding Versus XIII is a "very sensitive issue" and very much on a need to know basis. "We've been silent for the past year but we've already picked a day to announce specific info. Bit by bit, we are in the process of getting ready for that."

Oh boy oh boy! Could this mean that actual digestible information is on the way? But wait, didn't they promise us as much last year? Around spring 2012 they seemed read to make a big announcement. Nomura went on to clarify "Last year we didn't announce anything about the game. To be honest, I talked about releasing new info, but wasn't able to, and I'd like to apologize for that."

It's okay, it's okay. We'll forgive you provided Versus XIII is the next best thing since sliced bread. It's not like the Final Fantasy community has an insatiable appetite or anything!

According to Nomura the big reveal didn't happen last year due to a "totally unrelated reason, there are circumstances in which that info cannot be released." I do wonder if Square Enix's PR department are former murder mystery writers with the amount of crypticness going on here. However, it seems this is not something the want to leave to speculation as Nomura added "When we make the announcement, at that time, we'll also reveal the reason for that delay."

Well this writer is going to make a totally coincidental guess here and assume that third parties received news of the PS4 around the time Square Enix was planning on releasing info regarding Versus XIII last year. So, could that rumor doing the rounds right now about Versus XIII being postponed to be a PS4 title actually be true?

Going back to the cryptic PR babble he closed with "I'm sorry there are things I can't yet talk about, but please wait a little longer."

So, the waiting continues...

[Source: New Final Fantasy Versus XIII Info Is Coming...Apparently! (http://kotaku.com/new-final-fantasy-versus-xiii-info-is-coming-apparent-474501201) ]

Loony BoB
04-17-2013, 11:04 AM
I'd say that the delays were caused by either...
- It was already decided to put it onto a next gen console and they thought the console would have been announced earlier.
- Deciding to put it onto a next gen console once the next gen console was announced to them.
- Final Fantasy XIV getting all the focus of every FF-focused development team.

Aulayna
04-17-2013, 11:07 AM
It's also worth noting as mentioned in the Kotaku article that throughout the radio interview he referred to the game as Versus and not Versus XIII. As someone who works in at an entertainment company this might actually be relatively minor as we use project names and abbreviations all the time instead of the full release title - but it's still something for the speculators to... speculate... over! :p

Goldenboko
04-17-2013, 12:18 PM
I can only assume Versus will be called Versus, with no XIII near it, to disassociate it with that franchise.

Loony BoB
04-17-2013, 12:53 PM
I agree - to be honest, it makes little sense to keep the XIII in it in the first place. Same 'universe' is not a good enough reason for me, although I can appreciate the thought processes behind the original idea (having two teams working against each other to create the 'better' XIII and release them at similar times, then decide what direction to go with for XV based on the results).

Jinx
04-17-2013, 04:05 PM
I'll believe it when I see it.

Formalhaut
04-17-2013, 04:42 PM
I'm willing to forgive the delays, as long as there's an good valid reason for it. I do understand the plight developers go through, so while it is annoying, I don't mind it so much.

Better be worth the wait though! I hope this isn't another "teaser" that comes up fruitless.

Wolf Kanno
04-17-2013, 05:11 PM
I don't even know what to think about this game anymore but considering the revelation that the game itself is a secret within the company just seems really... stupid. I mean what the hell? I know some will say its to prevent major leaks about what the game is, but after seven years, I feel this game could use a few juicy leaks just to prevent things like last year's "It's Vaporware" rumors. Unless the point was also to hide the fact the game seems to be trapped in development hell or to hide the fact the game is being re-branded and probably pushed into a new console cycle, but by this point, most fans were already talking about both things happening. The amount of bullshit self-indulgence this game has put out is utterly remarkable.

KH-Cloudy
04-17-2013, 05:58 PM
The internet blows up regarding Versus! Nice!

Well...whatever the news is I'm more than open ears to hear about it. And in any case, I'll probably buy this on release day regardless of what info comes out. SQEX could use some money, it's a FF title, and I seldom buy games, so I don't mind spending that $60 on it.

DMKA
04-18-2013, 04:15 AM
Oh look, it's ******* nothing!!!

I'm still excited about Versus but if they don't release it this year I fear it's going to suffer the same fate as games like Duke Nukem Forever and Too Human and no one will like it because the standard for modern gaming has changed.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-18-2013, 04:18 AM
Dangling hope like that before my eyes. :(

maybee
04-19-2013, 09:10 AM
Oh look, it's ******* nothing!!!

To be honest this isn't really surprising or shocking because it's always usually nothing.