PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy and Theme

Laddy
04-17-2013, 03:30 PM
I've noticed that each Final Fantasy game tends to have central themes that are either ideological or themes that involve basic ideas and concepts. Let's talk about theme in here.

Here are my thoughts on what some games' central themes are.

IV-IV's themes are pretty simple, commonly appearing in fiction. Redemption, loyalty, altruism. I would argue that before VI, IV had the strongest thematic presence.

VI-VI's themes seem to anti-war, but also about hope and the human struggle. Some have argued feminism, but I don't think VI is intended to be or intrinsically feminist, just have two female leads.

VII-VII has a lot of themes. It's anti-capitalist, anti-imperialist, with themes of life, memory, consciousness, redemption, hope, and first impressions (much is not as it seems, with characters being more complex and ideas being more ambiguous). I would argue the central theme is life.

IX-If VII's theme is life, IX's is living. IX seems to be concerned about purpose and self-determination, with many of the characters coming to grips with their identity and personhood. In many ways, I view VII and IX as thematic companion pieces.

So, what are your thoughts? Any insight to share? Any themes that resonated with you for better or for worse?

Roogle
04-17-2013, 05:53 PM
What is the theme of Final Fantasy VIII? I cannot think of anything. Memories?

Cloudane
04-17-2013, 05:59 PM
Can't argue with any of those!

VIII's theme is surely love. Whether it's Squall+Rinoa's or Laguna's romantic love, Edea's motherly love for the orphans, Laguna's fatherly love for his kids etc.

X is pretty widely regarded as anti-religion

XII - war

XIII - destiny

Jinx
04-17-2013, 06:18 PM
These are all motives, not themes.

Cloudane
04-17-2013, 06:39 PM
The theme of VII is Tifa's boobs.

Bolivar
04-19-2013, 08:39 PM
This (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-vii/145790-what-do-you-think-games-about.html) was a pretty awesome thread with Formy, Edge7, myself and a few others, discussing the themes of FFVII and little things we picked up on it from our time in Academia. IMO VII was the only one in the series to come and and say some interesting stuff about society, beyond "[x] sucks because the bad guys in this game are evil."

Formalhaut
04-19-2013, 09:37 PM
This (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-vii/145790-what-do-you-think-games-about.html) was a pretty awesome thread with Formy, Edge7, myself and a few others, discussing the themes of FFVII and little things we picked up on it from our time in Academia. IMO VII was the only one in the series to come and and say some interesting stuff about society, beyond "[x] sucks because the bad guys in this game are evil."

To be fair, FFX did have a pretty staunch attack on religion, and religion is part of society. Well, I say 'attack' maybe that's too strong a word. Critique then? When you think about it, FFVII's interpretation of religion is actually pretty darn good really. You've got the church being a center of calm and peace, as well as those flowers and in Advent Children, the cure. 'Faith' in Aerith is also a strong theme, and in some ways actually saved the planet. I find it interesting how two different games can have different perspectives on the same topic! :)

kotora
04-20-2013, 08:13 AM

Then they had to go and ruin it by making Sephiroth the stereotypical main villain. FF7, after you leave Midgar, has very little to offer :monster: