PDA

View Full Version : Link to the Past sequel on 3DS?!

Denmark
04-17-2013, 04:15 PM
give

me

now

Announced by Reggie at the end of today's Nintendo Direct (watch the whole thing here, Zelda announcement is about 35 minutes in (http://www.nintendo.com/nintendo-direct/archive/04-17-2013/)). It's set in the same Hyrule as A Link to the Past, but it's an entirely new quest. Top down view, uses the 3-D capability to introduce a lot more depth (heh) into the puzzles.

OH AND ALSO YOU CAN GO INTO THE WALLS AND CRAWL AROUND THEM IN SIDE-SCROLLING BEAUTY (Paper Zelda?)

I haven't bought a current-gen console or handheld since the Gamecube was current-gen. I'm getting a 3DS for this (and Pokemon)

asdkjlfhalk;sjdfasdf

edit: I guess if you care about anything else from today's Nintendo Direct then this should be the thread for it (Earthbound on VC is pretty cool I guess)

Agent Proto
04-17-2013, 04:34 PM
Looks amazing, and I now really want to get this game!

Aulayna
04-17-2013, 04:54 PM
I'm throwing money at my screen but nothing is happening!

Bolivar
04-17-2013, 05:07 PM
I still haven't bought a current-gen handheld yet, and although the Vita looks like the better machine and I want it more than the 3DS because of the sexy hardware, they just announced this, the first 3D Mario & Luigi RPG, Bravely Default getting localized for the West, and they're re-releasing arguably my favorite handheld games of all time, Oracles of Seasons & Ages, on the 3DS eShop, and this is all happening this year.

Smurf you, Nintendo.

Smurf you so hard.

With money. :love:

Jowy
04-17-2013, 07:51 PM
(Earthbound on VC is pretty cool I guess)

that's more than cool. it means they fucking caved.

Pike
04-17-2013, 08:27 PM
I really want a 3DS and I want the original Legend of Zelda on it.

That's right, the original and still the best Zelda game.

lpEzYEoV9qY

Wolf Kanno
04-17-2013, 10:50 PM
Sadly, the announcement of Earthbound for VC is making me more excited, because now I can play it without emulating it. The actual announcement is interesting. I'm not sure how well a sequel to Link to the Past Would work, especially since technically the original LoZ is the game's actual sequel according to the timeline. I feel I'm more intrigued by watching Nintendo try to make a more classic style of Zelda that isn't connected to the Four Swords stuff. One of those moments where I'm curious to see how they would approach it now that the series has changed since those days.

LocoColt04
04-17-2013, 11:13 PM
I love the idea of a pseudo-sequel to ALttP though. Probably my favorite of the series, so as long as they don't butcher the logic of the first game in making the successor, I'm down.

Del Murder
04-18-2013, 01:44 AM
This all sounds awesome.

Mirage
04-18-2013, 04:24 AM
Sadly, the announcement of Earthbound for VC is making me more excited, because now I can play it without emulating it. The actual announcement is interesting. I'm not sure how well a sequel to Link to the Past Would work, especially since technically the original LoZ is the game's actual sequel according to the timeline. I feel I'm more intrigued by watching Nintendo try to make a more classic style of Zelda that isn't connected to the Four Swords stuff. One of those moments where I'm curious to see how they would approach it now that the series has changed since those days.

What is Virtual Console if not an emulator? :p

Wolf Kanno
04-18-2013, 04:57 AM

Yes, but one where I won't get arrested if my stuff was confiscated. :p

Besides, Earthbound fell into that grey area concerning piracy for me. So now I don't have to concern myself about it.

XxSephirothxX
04-18-2013, 06:50 AM
Nintendo is trading on nostalgia so hard these days. It's going to get rough for them in the future. But the dev team working on this game consistently makes amazing stuff, so I'm really optimistic. Not 100% sold on the art direction, but I love it in theory--it looks like they're trying to capture the illustrations of Link from the LttP art/manuals.

And I love that the paper mechanic is just built for the 3DS--they've always done a great job of tying inventive gameplay into whatever platform gimmick they've come up with.

NorthernChaosGod
04-18-2013, 08:31 AM
Looks sweet. I may actually have to get a 3DS now.

Shoeberto
04-18-2013, 03:18 PM
Probably not enough to make me want to get a 3DS but it looks really cool.

Skyblade
04-20-2013, 12:00 AM

Yes, but one where I won't get arrested if my stuff was confiscated. :p

Besides, Earthbound fell into that grey area concerning piracy for me. So now I don't have to concern myself about it.

Anytime I think about Earthbound and piracy, I just get reminded of the awesome anti-piracy features it had. Nintendo was so cruel.

Unfortunately, I probably won't get it, since the first person perspective in combat just destroys immersion for me.