PDA

View Full Version : Tapatalk v. Forumrunner

LocoColt04
04-21-2013, 05:59 AM
I've noticed that EoFF utilizes Forumrunner on the mobile platforms. Now, I'm a big fan of anything that can push a notification at me to grab my attention, because I am rarely ever home and don't often take the time to actually browse the internet from my phone. (This is why any time spent on my computer NOT playing a game is wasted staring at vast nothingness.)

I have no problems paying a couple bucks for Forumrunner, but I'd like to know if anyone here utilizes it already before I throw another app on my phone & tablet. If you have, and have also experienced Tapatalk (the one currently supported by two other boards I roam), I'd like to hear some end-user comparisons.

How streamlined is it? How does it handle all of vBulletin's intricacies? What features of EoFF are NOT available when on the app?

Rantz
04-21-2013, 09:58 PM
We had some discussion of which to use and I think we were leaning towards tapatalk, but then vBulletin came out with a new version that automated ForumRunner support effortlessly, and we are suckers for effortlessness, so that's the road we're on. I should get it and check out how well it works, though. I'll get back to you on that!

o_O
04-22-2013, 04:47 AM
I shelled out for it last year and have been using it consistently since then.

It's pretty cool, and does what it says on the box. It has a few quirks which you have to get used to (back exits thread, doesn't go back a page; you can't tap while the swirly loading box is up or it'll cancel the request, etc) but it's nothing crippling.

You can't rep or view your rep comments. I don't think you can view your profile, but I also haven't tried very hard to do that. A quick once-over tells me you can't (or they've sneakily hidden it).

It's not as good as Tapatalk but it's pretty cheap, and hey, effortlessness!

LocoColt04
04-22-2013, 04:55 AM
Yeah, I'm really more curious as to what it does for me user-end. I'm honestly just looking for something that will grab my attention, and I was mildly disappointed (no, I really wasn't, actually) that EoFF didn't have Tapatalk support. Two bucks for a decent forum app to throw notifications at me is more than a worthwhile investment though, so I'll go ahead and get it downloaded.

I'm honestly surprised that with an active community of this size, more people didn't have some type of input - from a mobile device at that! Maybe you're all home more than I am. I'M SUPER ENVIOUS OF EVERYONE NOW.

edit: Forumrunner negates the language filter. While I sure as shit don't mind, it's fucking relevant if that's something you guys actually care to maintain. I find the filter endearing, to be honest. <3 It was actually weird when I DIDN'T see the word "smurf" in place of some naughty words I used earlier.

escobert
04-22-2013, 05:18 AM
I just use my mobile web browser to look at eoff if I'm not home :p

LocoColt04
04-22-2013, 05:19 AM
It's not that the mobile browser is bad (quite nice actually) - it's that I'll neglect to pay any mind to the site if there aren't notifications going off to snag my attention.

I don't actually utilize the internet like most normal people. D:

escobert
04-22-2013, 05:24 AM
I don't uh get enough love? on here for me to bother with an app just for eoff.

NorthernChaosGod
04-22-2013, 07:59 AM
Notifications for what exactly?

LocoColt04
04-22-2013, 09:21 AM
Responses to threads I've posted in, private messages, etc.

Little stuff to keep me engaged periodically throughout the day.

Pathetic, I know, but I work almost 60 hours a week and then volunteer my time elsewhere. And somewhere in all that I find time for people and cooperative Monster Hunting. Since I'm never near a computer, app-based foruming is far simpler for me much of the time.

Surely I'm not the only one.

Rantz
04-22-2013, 12:54 PM
Hey, Forum Runner seems pretty neat. Definitely faster than mobile browsing, if nothing else, but that's to be expected.