PDA

View Full Version : Hemlock Grove

Night Fury
04-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Has anyone else been watching this Netflix series?

rwTw03j5_Tc

I'm quite enjoying it. It's got a rather interesting (if not overdone) plot:

A teenage girl is brutally murdered, sparking a hunt for her killer. But in a town where everyone hides a secret, will they find the monster among them?

It's interesting in the sense that it is keeping me guessing as to who the killer is, and I'm avoiding reading anything about it online in case I spoil it for myself. The acting is at times a bit awful, and I'm definitely not sold on Famke Janssen either. Some bits are laughably bad but it's one of those things I can't help but watch the next episode of....

It does have a wonderful Werewolf transformation sequence in it, and I love the twisted relationship between Roman and Peter, but one thing I find that just throws me off is this constant feel that it's trying to put too much mythology-related bits and bobs in it, when really it should be focussed on Peter, Roman and the brilliantly creepy Shelley.

If you like Werewolf-y horror, then do check it out! It's not groundbreaking or anything but it's worth a watch. So far I'd give it 6/10 but it seems to be picking up it's pace now!

Anyone else watching it?

Shorty
04-21-2013, 09:05 PM
Hmmm, it seems interesting enough that I would give it a shot. These kinds of stories are so tricky to actually pull off, but if it's only the first season, it's possible for things to develop and become a little better.

I'll try it out! :love:

Jinx
04-21-2013, 09:18 PM
It's showing up in my feeds, and I've thrown around the idea of watching it. It just sort of reminds me of another True Blood, tbh.

Bunny
04-22-2013, 01:45 AM
I watched the first two episodes and could not get any further than that.

The storyline is decent, although the murder mystery plotline has been incredibly overdone in the last couple of seasons. My biggest problem is the level of bad acting and horribly campy acting that is in at least every scene. I think that is the point, since most horror movies that this show obviously took influence from are like that (and Eli Roth couldn't direct his way out of a paper bag), so it is good if you like that sort of thing. I don't.

Night Fury
04-22-2013, 04:02 PM
I watched the first two episodes and could not get any further than that.

The storyline is decent, although the murder mystery plotline has been incredibly overdone in the last couple of seasons. My biggest problem is the level of bad acting and horribly campy acting that is in at least every scene. I think that is the point, since most horror movies that this show obviously took influence from are like that (and Eli Roth couldn't direct his way out of a paper bag), so it is good if you like that sort of thing. I don't.

I agree with your points about the acting. I've reached about episode 8 now and I just. It got too fucking weird even for me. I don't know if I can continue until the end. They try and cram in so much. I just don't know.

Shorty
04-23-2013, 01:38 AM
I'm on episode two and I've just about lost it with Dr. Clementine accusing Peter of being a werewolf. Ridiculously assuming and forward and absurd. My sister says it will all make sense and to keep watching. She really likes it, and I generally trust her taste, so I'm going to give it a bit more time. It's interesting enough for me to keep watching at the moment.

When Roman talks to anyone other than Peter and his mother, he seems dark and intimidating and charismatic. When he talks to Peter and his mother, he acts like a scared baby bird. It makes me want to slap him.

I think it's difficult to avoid campy-ness with high school characters. The subject of werewolves and vampires has become so campy the past few years as well, and I don't see much redemption in sight.

edit: I am a dumbass and completely skipped episode two.

Rantz
04-23-2013, 07:31 AM
A teenage girl is brutally murdered, sparking a hunt for her killer. But in a town where everyone hides a secret, will they find the monster among them?

AZxD3IZUJU0

theundeadhero
04-23-2013, 02:36 PM
I saw a commercial for it on tv last weekend and it seemed interested but I'm most likely to forget all about it and never watch it.

Unbreakable Will
04-27-2013, 12:40 AM
I caught the tail end of an episode at a friends house a couple days ago, it was odd to say the least and the acting is so campy that I fell in love with it. When I have time I intend to watch from beginning to end.

:jess: