PDA

View Full Version : Boys Become Doctors, Girls Become Nurses

Shlup
04-22-2013, 06:38 AM
I just screenshotted this off Pinterest because I see stuff like this every damn day and it just royally pisses me off:

http://i33.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/efqoat.jpg

Who the hell doesn't like LEGO? Every day I see people posting stuff "for boys" or "for girls" and I can't even omg.

The one time at work I might come off as a little snippy is when a person asks me if something is for a boy or a girl. I smile and say "It's for whoever wants it."

Share my rage with me dammit!

escobert
04-22-2013, 06:52 AM
Oh you silly girls and your equality nonsense! :p

XxSephirothxX
04-22-2013, 07:13 AM
Even LEGO does this when advertising its own stuff (http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/01/15/lego-friends-girls-gender-toy-marketing_n_1206293.html#slide=608367). Real bummer.

NeoCracker
04-22-2013, 07:36 AM
Nurse Uniforms are more easily sexualized then doctors.

So what I propose is we make Doctors wear nurses uniforms as well so that I may sexualize both female nurses and doctors!

NorthernChaosGod
04-22-2013, 07:58 AM
But how will we keep our children from becoming homosexuals without enforced gender roles?

Aulayna
04-22-2013, 08:10 AM
This does annoy me too... though in a massive case of missing the point I find myself more concerned with what sorcery they used to get the cube blocks through a circular hole...

Quindiana Jones
04-22-2013, 08:22 AM
I don't understand why you would put Lego pieces or Barbie's shoes in soap. That doesn't make any sense.

Fonzie
04-22-2013, 08:38 AM
I don't understand why you would put Lego pieces or Barbie's shoes in soap. That doesn't make any sense.

You see, humans of the average quality enjoy making those of the most boring sorts into more interesting aspects by adding pieces of sentimental value into it via addition or through any other means.

What was boring soap is now a delicious desert for the whole family to enjoy!

Old Manus
04-22-2013, 12:19 PM
You should just put the whole Barbie in there and pretend it's in cryogenic stasis. Every time you wash your hands you come one step closer to bringing her back to life.

theundeadhero
04-22-2013, 02:11 PM
Why did you put my legos in he soap, Mom? I hate you!

Jinx
04-22-2013, 02:38 PM
All sexism aside, this is pretty damn cool.

Unbreakable Will
04-22-2013, 02:46 PM
Sounds like a perfectly good waste of Legos to me.

"Just five more blocks and Castle Unbreakable will be complete.... goddamnit mom, why do you keep stealing my Legos for your sanitary needs?!?"

Laddy
04-22-2013, 03:51 PM
I still ctry at night, wishing my mother put Legos in my soap so I wouldn't have become the man-loving abomination I am today. :(

Shoeberto
04-22-2013, 04:01 PM
I still ctry at night, wishing my mother put Legos in my soap so I wouldn't have become the man-loving abomination I am today. :(

:heart: I'll be praying you get some Lego Hand Soap so you can be CURED :heart:

sharkythesharkdogg
04-22-2013, 04:15 PM

Don't worry, buddy. Dial hand soap now kills 99% of all harmful bacteria, and the gay. Lather up and join the rest of proper society!

Cloudane
04-22-2013, 04:22 PM
Me and my big snuggly Pinkie Pie plush completely agree :jess:

kotora
04-22-2013, 04:54 PM
Are old fashioned ideas on gender roles really that surprising considering the Pinterest's user demographics? :monster:

Yar
04-22-2013, 05:09 PM
I'm going to put complaints in your soap since you love them so much.

Pumpkin
04-22-2013, 06:06 PM

Don't worry, Laddy. It's okay. You're not alone.

We all wish that.

*Comforts*

Jinx
04-22-2013, 06:22 PM

:heart: I'll be praying you get some Lego Hand Soap so you can be CURED :heart:

Jesus and handsoap wash away your sins.

Shiny
04-22-2013, 06:38 PM
I still have all my legos. Bags of them and I won't be putting them in soap anytime soon. That's some OCD shit.

fire_of_avalon
04-23-2013, 02:58 AM
I have this same enraging thought-process about baby clothes. Do you know how hard it is to find gender neutral baby clothes? I am convinced they do not exist unless they are made by hand.

Raistlin
04-23-2013, 03:05 AM
I agree with Shlup and foa. These entrenched gender roles about what little boys and little girls ought to like or do is infuriating. And they're constantly reinforced by blissfully unaware, otherwise perfectly nice and well-meaning people. Why is this issue so difficult to recognize?

That being said, when I was a kid, if you touched my LEGOs to waste in goddamn soap, you would've lost the finger.

Calliope
04-23-2013, 03:10 AM
THE PLURAL OF LEGO IS NOT LEGOS.

May your soap be filled with dictionary pages! Bah!

theundeadhero
04-23-2013, 03:43 AM
Legos

Rebellious Eagle
04-23-2013, 04:29 AM
I loved Legos much more than Barbies when I was younger. Hell, I still love to build things with Legos...

NorthernChaosGod
04-23-2013, 07:15 AM

Man, I'm pretty sure everyone says LEGOs. Do you say LEGO blocks or what?

Aulayna
04-23-2013, 07:58 AM
I loved Legos much more than Barbies when I was younger. Hell, I still love to build things with Legos...

You rebellious eagle, you!

Cloudane
04-23-2013, 09:00 AM

This!

The plural of LEGOŽ is LEGOŽ.

You don't say "I see a field of sheeps over there" do you? No. So don't say "I see a field of legos". Hmph.

Shauna
04-23-2013, 09:37 AM

Man, I'm pretty sure everyone says LEGOs. Do you say LEGO blocks or what?

Just LEGO. That's it. "I'm going to play with my lego", is what I'd say. I wonder if there is some kind of cultural difference going on here... :3

Aulayna
04-23-2013, 09:42 AM
Yup it's just LEGO. I think it as a cultural difference as I've rarely heard it called LEGOs by anything other than residents of the North America continent and my Danish colleagues cringe everytime they see the word LEGOs being used. It's always just been LEGO to me. (in block caps too, very important)

LEGOs just looks wrong on indescribable levels to me!

Shlup
04-23-2013, 10:18 AM
Are old fashioned ideas on gender roles really that surprising considering the Pinterest's user demographics? :monster:
Females in their twenties? Yes.

I'm going to put complaints in your soap since you love them so much.
Jokes on you, I don't use soap.

I have this same enraging thought-process about baby clothes. Do you know how hard it is to find gender neutral baby clothes? I am convinced they do not exist unless they are made by hand.
I do know how hard it is and it makes me want to slap everyone. There's so much stuff in the boys section that I would totally put on a girl! And anytime you click "unisex" when online shopping, there's like three options, and they're usually Christmas. Clicking "unisex" on Amazon will eliminate so many options that would be perfectly acceptable for girls, and everything "girl" is pink.

When BJ's friend posts a baby picture, we count how many pink things are in the picture with her. None of her baby stuff seems to be without some amount of pink. AHHH!

Calliope
04-23-2013, 10:39 AM
Hah, that sounds like a fun game. My niece and nephew are being brought up with very strict traditional cisgender-role reinforcement, and it makes me want to scream, particularly when their father says things to them like "No, what have we talked about? Short hair is for boys, long hair is for girls."

PS - It's pieces of lego. Sometimes at work I hear parents say "pokemons" and I want to strangle them.

Pike
04-23-2013, 10:56 AM

what, I'm super jealous

I mean I have Twilight Sparkle but that's not enough

Aulayna
04-23-2013, 11:09 AM
I'll be in the corner with my Princess Cadence.

Pike
04-23-2013, 11:11 AM
You have a giant Princess Cadence plushie?? I'm so jealous :(

Aulayna
04-23-2013, 11:17 AM
No, just a big figurine.

I fear we're also rather off-topic here too! :p

I do know how hard it is and it makes me want to slap everyone. There's so much stuff in the boys section that I would totally put on a girl! And anytime you click "unisex" when online shopping, there's like three options, and they're usually Christmas. Clicking "unisex" on Amazon will eliminate so many options that would be perfectly acceptable for girls, and everything "girl" is pink.

It's so true. It's almost impossible to find something that isn't pink for a little girl.

Pike
04-23-2013, 11:20 AM
Go to Target we have all sorts of baby stuff that is yellow and/or green

Quindiana Jones
04-23-2013, 01:22 PM
I let my spawn choose their own clothes. Obviously, they can't speak yet, so I just dress them in whatever they run up to and look happy with. Currently their rocking the "bucket as a hat and a skirt made of mud" look. It's very chic.

theundeadhero
04-23-2013, 01:58 PM
LEGOS

Shauna
04-23-2013, 01:59 PM
:argh:

Pike
04-23-2013, 02:13 PM
http://img-s3-01.mytextgraphics.com/sparklee/2013/04/23/c3287b74f50200748f1bb5127a1a718a.gif (http://www.sparklee.com)

theundeadhero
04-23-2013, 02:29 PM
http://i.imgur.com/2YBjbSz.jpg

Cloudane
04-23-2013, 04:58 PM

what, I'm super jealous

Buy My Little Pony Plush at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Teddy bears and interactive soft toys. (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/PONY+PLUSH.htm)
All 20 inches of her :D

Jinx
04-23-2013, 05:55 PM
I let my spawn choose their own clothes. Obviously, they can't speak yet, so I just dress them in whatever they run up to and look happy with. Currently their rocking the "bucket as a hat and a skirt made of mud" look. It's very chic.

Quin's a daddy?

EDIT: I also just realized why parents say to do this to make your kid wash its hands more. It's less of, "Oh wow, Mommy! This soap is sooooo cool!" It's more like, "I have to wash my goddamn hands cos the crazy bitch put my Legos and Barbie shoes in there!"

NorthernChaosGod
04-23-2013, 06:55 PM

what, I'm super jealous

Buy My Little Pony Plush at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for Teddy bears and interactive soft toys. (http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Search/searchTerms/PONY+PLUSH.htm)
All 20 inches of her :D

Is it just me, or do other people not like the "hair?"

the_best_noob
04-23-2013, 07:59 PM
This is just stupid. I'm gonna put legos in your soap so you grow up to be a manly man, not put vegetables on your dinner plate

Quindiana Jones
04-23-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm gonna put vegetables in your soap.

Night Fury
04-23-2013, 09:34 PM
Look, if I ever have a baby girl, you can bloody bet I'll be dressing her in princess outfits. Why? Because it's cute.
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/BABY-PRINCESS-LEIA-STAR-WARS-HALLOWEEN-COSTUME-OUTFIT-/14/!B35YQu!BGk~$%28KGrHqEOKisEyWo3B5Z%29BMn40%28zQfQ~~0_35.JPG

Buuut, when she gets a little older and starts to have her own thoughts, I'll not be stopping her playing with Lego if she wants or action man or little toy swords and shields. In fact I'll encourage her to play with those tbh. They're much more fun than Barbies. I used to make all my Barbies get mauled by my toy dinosaurs and lions.

Why am I not 6 anymore? WHY? LIFE WAS SO MUCH EASIER WHEN I PLAYED WITH MY TOY DINOSAURS DAMNIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Although one thing I never want my child to have is one of those like, fake baby things. Oh God, I hate them!! They're so creeeeepppyyy!

Pike
04-23-2013, 09:44 PM
BOYS GO TO JUPITER TO GET MORE STUPIDER
GIRLS GO TO MARS TO GET MORE CANDY BARS

Night Fury
04-23-2013, 09:49 PM
But then where do Robots like you go Pike?

Do you go to Neptune to collect Spoons?

Pike
04-23-2013, 10:01 PM
ROBOTS GO TO COLLEGE TO GET MORE KNOWLEDGE

Bunny
04-23-2013, 10:11 PM

Which explains why so many of them are fat.

Pike
04-23-2013, 10:13 PM

Which explains why so many of them are fat.

I know, I'm glad I'm not one

Bunny
04-23-2013, 10:14 PM
A girl or a fat girl?

Pike
04-23-2013, 10:20 PM
A girl.

I am a fat robot.

Unbreakable Will
04-23-2013, 10:42 PM
Good thing I'm a man. I go to Pluto, to freeze what few emotions are left in me.

Men don't rhyme.

Old Manus
04-23-2013, 10:51 PM
this...this is beautiful

Cloudane
04-23-2013, 10:56 PM

The sort of "ribbons"? Not ideal or quite what you'd call show accurate, but certainly beats the high maintenance frizz magnet that is the brushable hair :P

To be honest the important attributes for me are snuggleability (great! nice soft microfibery material) and sleep comfort ^_^

NorthernChaosGod
04-24-2013, 01:44 AM

The sort of "ribbons"? Not ideal or quite what you'd call show accurate, but certainly beats the high maintenance frizz magnet that is the brushable hair :P

To be honest the important attributes for me are snuggleability (great! nice soft microfibery material) and sleep comfort ^_^

I suppose, but I'm not really a fan of the brushable hair either. *shrug*

chionos
04-24-2013, 06:27 AM
My daughters love Legos, and my son won't touch them.

And my son loves dolls. (and not just ripping their limbs off)

He also loves kicking ass and taking names, but still...

Touch that boy's pony and you'll learn about his mighty fist of justice.

Shlup
04-24-2013, 07:23 AM
PS - It's pieces of lego. Sometimes at work I hear parents say "pokemons" and I want to strangle them.
Everyone knows it's pokemen.

Go to Target we have all sorts of baby stuff that is yellow and/or green
I think I already got it all. My mom came over and just dumped out a huge bag. I love the bumble bee onsies!

EDIT: I also just realized why parents say to do this to make your kid wash its hands more. It's less of, "Oh wow, Mommy! This soap is sooooo cool!" It's more like, "I have to wash my goddamn hands cos the crazy bitch put my Legos and Barbie shoes in there!"
I didn't think of it like that. Genius!

Look, if I ever have a baby girl, you can bloody bet I'll be dressing her in princess outfits. Why? Because it's cute.
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/BABY-PRINCESS-LEIA-STAR-WARS-HALLOWEEN-COSTUME-OUTFIT-/14/!B35YQu!BGk~$%28KGrHqEOKisEyWo3B5Z%29BMn40%28zQfQ~~0_35.JPG
Well, yeah, sometimes. I'm not opposed to cute things, just the idea that your genitals determine what things you're supposed to enjoy.

Quindiana Jones
04-24-2013, 04:55 PM
That baby would look better in Leia's slave outfit.

...wait, what?

Jinx
04-24-2013, 04:58 PM
That cap for that baby Leia costume is horrendous.

Bunny
04-24-2013, 06:39 PM
Everyone knows it's pokemen.

Pokemans.

That cap for that baby Leia costume is horrendous.
Looks like poop to me.

rubah
04-25-2013, 03:31 AM

or when you do find them, but the mother has expressed a vested interest in keeping gender norms >:[[[

Clouded Sky
04-25-2013, 05:10 AM
Screw gender stereotypes.

I'LL BE A CUTE LITTLE MAID IF I WANT TO.

Pike
04-25-2013, 04:40 PM
I'm lucky because I'm a chick who's into guy things and it's more socially acceptable for chicks to like guy things than the other way around

Guys have the better clothes, too. I do 90% of my clothes shopping in the mens' department. The other 10% is pants because I have a fat butt.

Night Fury
04-25-2013, 05:08 PM
Noooo. Girls clothes are soooo much better than guy clothes! Although I do have a few guy t-shirts!

Pike
04-25-2013, 05:28 PM
I don't know; I have just never been into girls clothing or dressing up or that sort of thing. I own one dress which I wear to like... weddings? xD I wear it maybe once every three years. Alongside white socks and sneakers cause it's not like I have anything to match the dress. :gator:

Night Fury
04-25-2013, 05:29 PM
You remind me of my cousin more and more each day Pike.

I actually think you could be related, which would then make you related to me. So that's cool.

Bunny
04-25-2013, 05:30 PM
Noooo. Girls clothes are soooo much better than guy clothes! Although I do have a few guy t-shirts!

I find this very hard to believe.

Mirage
04-25-2013, 09:03 PM
I'm lucky because I'm a chick who's into guy things and it's more socially acceptable for chicks to like guy things than the other way around

Guys have the better clothes, too. I do 90% of my clothes shopping in the mens' department. The other 10% is pants because I have a fat butt.

You have it all backwards. Guy clothes are so boring. Guy formalwear is even boringer.

the_best_noob
04-25-2013, 09:40 PM
Guy clothes are much better
Loose pants and shirts for the win!

kotora
04-25-2013, 09:42 PM
Loose shirts? :confused:

the_best_noob
04-25-2013, 09:48 PM
Well, not tight shirts

Shauna
04-25-2013, 09:58 PM
kotora doesn't understand that sentence.

Denmark
04-25-2013, 10:01 PM
guy clothes are EASY

shirt, jeans, possibly a jacket depending on temperature, and i look good no matter what

Miriel
04-25-2013, 10:16 PM
Nooo. Guys. You don't know how comfortable a maxi dress can be. I mean, there's a reason men used to wear togas and skirts.

It's just comfy as fuck. Especially on a hot day. Breezy.

Cloudane
04-25-2013, 11:24 PM
Wait wait. Pike is a chick? :eek:

NorthernChaosGod
04-25-2013, 11:54 PM

Bubba Sparxxx - Ms. New Booty (Ft. Ying Yang Twins) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FAb0IxMs4Ik)

I'm pretty sure mens' clothes isn't designed purposefully thin so you have to layer and buy more clothes :p

Raistlin
04-26-2013, 12:30 AM
You have it all backwards. Guy clothes are so boring.

http://weknowmemes.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/04/holy-crap-i-look-fabulous.jpg

Jinx
04-26-2013, 03:23 AM
Nooo. Guys. You don't know how comfortable a maxi dress can be. I mean, there's a reason men used to wear togas and skirts.

It's just comfy as smurf. Especially on a hot day. Breezy.

I wore a maxi-dress today because of this post.

Calliope
04-26-2013, 03:48 AM
I like boyish clothing. (http://tomboyfemme.com/)

Shlup
04-26-2013, 11:28 AM
Maxi dresses are hard to pull off. Now that I'm big and round, I bought several. It's like wearing a caress. :<3:

But I also bought a bunch of boy shirts for maternity shirts 'cause they're the only ones that fit over my gut. Other than actual maternity shirts which I mostly do not care for.

Cloudane
04-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Maxi dresses are hard to pull off.

Oh I'd give it a try~

Pike
04-26-2013, 05:14 PM
I don't even know what a Maxi dress is. Never heard the term until this thread.

Leeza
04-26-2013, 05:45 PM
This thread brings back so many memories of me crying when I was a child because I always wanted to help my father when he would be working on car engines, etc. Of course I was never allowed to because 'that's not for girls'. :(

My daughter most definitely preferred LEGO to Barbie and I'm pretty sure that she still has them all. In fact I even bought her more last Christmas. We would buy most of her pants in the boys section because they would be more comfortable, and non-logoed (sp?) t-shirts were a staple. Pink was never an option for her and I have only one tank top in pink which I've had for years and have never worn.

Yep. I used to wear dresses/skirts during the summer most of the time as a general rule until we were allowed to wear jeans to work. That ended up being much less expensive and more convenient so my dresses went by the wayside. This year they're coming back because it looks like we're in for a hot summer. It is going to feel weird though after not wearing any for a couple of years.

Shiny
04-26-2013, 09:41 PM
I had Legos (yes with an s fuck you) and Barbies. I never knew that Legos "was a boy thing". I use to get the Lego Magazines and they'd show girly Lego collections so I am pretty sure they were not just marketed to boys.

Mirage
04-26-2013, 09:58 PM
This thread brings back so many memories of me crying when I was a child because I always wanted to help my father when he would be working on car engines, etc. Of course I was never allowed to because 'that's not for girls'. :(

My daughter most definitely preferred LEGO to Barbie and I'm pretty sure that she still has them all. In fact I even bought her more last Christmas. We would buy most of her pants in the boys section because they would be more comfortable, and non-logoed (sp?) t-shirts were a staple. Pink was never an option for her and I have only one tank top in pink which I've had for years and have never worn.

Yep. I used to wear dresses/skirts during the summer most of the time as a general rule until we were allowed to wear jeans to work. That ended up being much less expensive and more convenient so my dresses went by the wayside. This year they're coming back because it looks like we're in for a hot summer. It is going to feel weird though after not wearing any for a couple of years.

Guys not being allowed to wear skirts and such is the worst thing about today's fashion. It is so god damn comfortable.

Maybe I should buy a "utility kilt".

Old Manus
04-26-2013, 10:05 PM
I like boyish clothing. (http://tomboyfemme.com/)Is that what men dress like these days?

Shiny
04-26-2013, 11:48 PM
I like boyish clothing. (http://tomboyfemme.com/)Is that what men dress like these days?

Men in New York do yeah.

I like dressing like a lesbian too because I think it looks cute, but I also like dresses.

NorthernChaosGod
04-27-2013, 12:14 AM

A really long dress as far as I know.

Pike
04-27-2013, 12:22 AM

A really long dress as far as I know.

kind of like a maxi pad is a really long pad, got it

krissy
04-27-2013, 05:07 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/310698_893862935557_523181057_n.jpg

1981 i think

theundeadhero
04-27-2013, 05:29 AM
I had a gas station that came with lego motorcycles from 1988.
The kind just big enough to put a lego guy on. Not a whole huge one made of many lego pieces.

chionos
04-27-2013, 06:18 AM
So Lego has gone backwards with their branding since 1981? So much of it's gender-targeted now.

Mirage
04-27-2013, 09:11 AM
That is correct. Such a shame, but I guess they just feel like they have to follow the general direction of society, or else they'll lose sales.

Jinx
04-27-2013, 01:47 PM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc1/310698_893862935557_523181057_n.jpg

1981 i think

How did you get a picture of Little Faris...?

Night Fury
04-27-2013, 10:44 PM
maxi dresses are lovely, but midi dresses are the one for me right now.

Unbreakable Will
04-28-2013, 01:47 AM
At the risk of being used for fashionista target practice, and against my better judgement... I'm going to ask what are you all on about with this whole 'maxi, midi' thing. A dress is a dress right?

:confused:

Shlup
04-28-2013, 01:53 AM
You're right, Will, there's no variations in types of dresses. They all look exactly the same. :roll2

Unbreakable Will
04-28-2013, 01:57 AM
Haha well I know how ridiculous it sounds but from my total lack of knowledge, and an admitted lack of interest until just now, it seemed odd to me.

:riiight:

Jinx
04-28-2013, 02:36 AM
Good thing google

Unbreakable Will
04-28-2013, 02:40 AM
I'm not that curious. :hattip:

Ouch!
04-28-2013, 03:38 AM
Nurse Uniforms are more easily sexualized then doctors.
When my girlfriend finishes med school, she can totally play doctor with me while wearing nothing but her lab coat and a pair of thigh highs.

Pike
04-28-2013, 10:26 AM
I'm going to ask what are you all on about with this whole 'maxi, midi' thing.

Easy

Maxi is a pad

MIDI is a type of computer music format

kotora
04-28-2013, 10:49 AM
At the risk of being used for fashionista target practice, and against my better judgement... I'm going to ask what are you all on about with this whole 'maxi, midi' thing. A dress is a dress right?

:confused:

Maxi - maximum length
Midi - medium length

:monster:

Pike
04-28-2013, 10:51 AM
oh that's actually clever, is there a mini too?

kotora
04-28-2013, 11:07 AM
Catching on quick! You'll be blogging about fashion soon enough :monster:

Pike
04-28-2013, 11:20 AM
YEAH

I'm a natural!

Shlup
04-28-2013, 11:51 AM
Quick! Someone put 'er in a dress!

Madame Adequate
04-28-2013, 01:17 PM
I have a picture of her in a dress and she looks SO unimpressed it's amazing.

Jinx
04-28-2013, 03:53 PM
Midi dresses are cute, but they are obviously made for tall, skinny girls, and tall, skinny girls ONLY. Therefore, I'm two for two can't wear 'em.

Night Fury
04-28-2013, 03:58 PM
I'm short and I pull them off. You could too Sam. A nice floaty one like this

Unbreakable Will
04-28-2013, 04:21 PM
I dressed up my little girl in even the socks and shoes pink today, not even matching shades of pink, just for Shlup. :peachdance:

Leeza
04-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Midi dresses are cute, but they are obviously made for tall, skinny girls, and tall, skinny girls ONLY. Therefore, I'm two for two can't wear 'em.

I'm short (and sometimes not so skinny) and all I wear is the midi length to work, etc. Maxi can look either too formal or too casual and relaxed. Midi is far more versatile and has a lot of options for every height. Sometimes it just takes a little more shopping around... or you sew your own which is what I used to do.

Night Fury
04-28-2013, 09:13 PM

I can't find those exact links and I'm not sure if you get ASOS in the US, but I found another lovely one!

ASOS Curve | ASOS CURVE Midi Dress In Pixulated Floral at ASOS (http://www.asos.com/ASOS-Curve/ASOS-CURVE-Midi-Dress-In-Pixulated-Floral/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2879352&cid=9579&sh=0&pge=1&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Multi)
This has summer written all over it. Would look gorgeous on you as well, wear it with heels or flats for the perfect summer day out. It would look banging with a denim or leather jacket, even a loose knit cardy would compliment it really well.

ASOS Curve | ASOS CURVE Exclusive Midi Skater Dress With Belt at ASOS (http://www.asos.com/ASOS-Curve/ASOS-CURVE-Exclusive-Midi-Skater-Dress-With-Belt/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2816117&cid=9579&sh=0&pge=4&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Charcoal+grey)
What I like most about this one is you can dress it up so much with chunky necklaces and a big loose cardigan. Could wear it with pumps or converse or even heels if you dressed it up with nice accessories. Definitely one of those dresses you can take from day to night with the right accessories.

Not Midi, but I think you'd look super, super cute in this! ASOS Curve | ASOS CURVE Exclusive Tea Dress In Spot at ASOS (http://www.asos.com/ASOS-Curve/ASOS-CURVE-Exclusive-Tea-Dress-In-Spot/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=2594041&cid=9579&sh=0&pge=5&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Black)

When you shop midi Sam, I'd always go for something that is floaty on the skirt and doesn't have a V Neck, but something nice like a round neck. Also, it being belted is super important. You have a lovely, lovely waist so accentuate it with a belt.

... I did not mean to go all Gok Wan o.O

Jinx
04-28-2013, 11:07 PM
I thought midis were calf length!

But thank you for being so nice and saying I have a lovely waist, Locky. :3

Old Manus
04-29-2013, 12:19 AM
start thread about gender norms

turns into thread on women giving each other fashion advice

Night Fury
04-29-2013, 12:20 AM
I just love living through other peoples clothes shopping...

Miriel
04-29-2013, 10:38 AM

I could give guys here fashion advice too, but the last time I did that people were SHOCKED AND APPALLED.

Madame Adequate
04-29-2013, 10:47 AM
Well your advice was shockingly appalling, even a neckbeard like me could see that. I mean girl please :colbert:

Shlup
04-29-2013, 10:56 AM
I dressed up my little girl in even the socks and shoes pink today, not even matching shades of pink, just for Shlup. :peachdance:
Can't tell if you're trying to be a dick or if you're being nice 'cause you read the post where pink is my favorite color.

Everyone likes dresses. Men just don't wear them because society tells them they can't.

Mirage
04-29-2013, 03:22 PM
It's true.

Pike
04-29-2013, 03:33 PM
Everyone likes dresses.

I hate dresses. :colbert:

Mirage
04-29-2013, 03:42 PM
You're not human, though, so you don't really count. Just can just get a new paint job for your chassis instead of buying new clothes.

Pike
04-29-2013, 03:53 PM
Okay, that's fair enough.

Jinx
04-29-2013, 04:50 PM
Everyone likes dresses.

Maybe you just haven't found the RIGHT dress. Seriously, put on a maxi dress. It is the most comfortable thing you will ever wear.

And yes, I know you don't like girlie foo foo stuff, but I'm just talking comfort. :)

Pike
04-29-2013, 05:01 PM
As long as I've got PJs I really don't need anything more comfortable.

The only time I go outside is to go to work and I wear a uniform for that.

Unbreakable Will
04-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Can't tell if you're trying to be a dick or if you're being nice 'cause you read the post where pink is my favorite color.

We'll call it a mix of the two. :jess:

chionos
04-30-2013, 12:50 AM
Actually, I've worn a dress (for an extended period) and I wasn't comfortable at all. So they're not for everyone. Also, in general, IN GENERAL NOW, guys do not look good in dresses. There are exceptions, of course, but they're exceptions, just like there are some girls who don't look good in dresses.

NorthernChaosGod
04-30-2013, 01:41 AM

Everyone likes dresses. Men just don't wear them because society tells them they can't.

Pants are more protective and offer more utility, dresses can suck it.

the_best_noob
04-30-2013, 03:33 AM
I can do 10 times the things in pants than you can do in a dress.

Except show my calves, but who wants that anyway?

Clouded Sky
04-30-2013, 09:41 AM
I'm short and I pull them off. You could too Sam. A nice floaty one like this

Are these men?:confused:

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-30-2013, 10:01 AM

I could give guys here fashion advice too, but the last time I did that people were SHOCKED AND APPALLED.

There is nothing wrong with fashion advice. This is why I bring my friend with me clothes shopping. I loathe it and stubborn about certain things. So yeah. NOT ALL FUN AND GAMES SHOPPING WITH ME. I fail the gay stereotype. Put me in a bookstore, gaming store, or electronics store? I'm golden.

Having size 13 feet and being tall waist up (not in the legs where I am an average 32" in-seam) is annoying for shoes and shirts respectively.

That is not to say I do not have a fashion sense--I do. Just not a super advance one. I mean let's face it wearing orange is just a bad idea for me. :/

Pike
04-30-2013, 10:58 AM
I lack any sort of fashion sense, but that's okay because all I ever wear are black slacks and videogame t-shirts. Or alternatively red and khaki when I'm at work.

Shlup
04-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Everyone likes dresses.

I know you think you do.

Liking dresses does not imply disliking pants.

Night Fury
04-30-2013, 03:25 PM
I bought a maxi dress today. It was sunny soooo

NorthernChaosGod
04-30-2013, 07:43 PM

My point being I don't think many men would wear dresses if it was "allowed" because they could just keep wearing pants. :p

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-30-2013, 07:56 PM
I'd try it. Seriously. Men's fashion so limited compared to women's.

Ouch!
04-30-2013, 08:19 PM
If you find men's fashion limited, you're doing it wrong.

Mirage
04-30-2013, 10:20 PM

My point being I don't think many men would wear dresses if it was "allowed" because they could just keep wearing pants. :p

Have you tried skirts or dresses? I haven't tried a dress but skirts are really really really nice on hot days. It's almost like wearing nothing, except people can't see your underwear.

Jinx
04-30-2013, 10:21 PM

Have you tried skirts or dresses? I haven't tried a dress but skirts are really really really nice on hot days. It's almost like wearing nothing, except people can't see your underwear.

Indeed. My goal is to get rid of some of my cellulite so I can wear my maxi skirt. And then buy a whole bunch more. (And maxi dresses too.)

chionos
04-30-2013, 10:47 PM
Is this turning into the second coming of the guys in dresses campaign? Where's Danni, where's Matt?

Actually I think I owe EoFF a pic of me in a dress from last time.

fire_of_avalon
05-01-2013, 12:21 AM
I agree.

NorthernChaosGod
05-01-2013, 12:26 AM

I tried on a skirt before and I felt naked and vulnerable. I also felt like I couldn't carry anything. Pass.

Mirage
05-01-2013, 12:29 AM
That just means your mind is weak and can't adapt to dynamic situations!

I mean those scottish dudes back in the day weren't exactly weak just because they wore sk... i mean kilts.

Additionally, kilts are likely to have originated from scandinavia to begin with, so I have a cultural excuse to wear one if I really want to!

fire_of_avalon
05-01-2013, 12:32 AM
Bonus: kilts are sexy.

Pike
05-01-2013, 12:41 AM
The only reason Scots can pull of kilts is cause they're Scots and have balls of steel.

Mirage
05-01-2013, 12:42 AM
Are you implying vikings do not?

Pike
05-01-2013, 01:00 AM
Well I'm having trouble picturing a viking in a kilt. But who knows.

Aulayna
05-01-2013, 01:04 AM
Loincloths tbh.

NorthernChaosGod
05-01-2013, 05:10 AM

I mean those scottish dudes back in the day weren't exactly weak just because they wore sk... i mean kilts.

Additionally, kilts are likely to have originated from scandinavia to begin with, so I have a cultural excuse to wear one if I really want to!

Still no pockets, bro. inb4 utilikilt, those things looks awful.

Jinx
05-01-2013, 12:34 PM
Skirts can have pockets, wtf.

Mirage
05-01-2013, 01:53 PM
Just shows how much NCG knows. 42773

chionos
05-01-2013, 04:39 PM

Still no pockets, bro. inb4 utilikilt, those things looks awful.

I refuse to take you seriously until you post a picture of you in a dress/skirt/kilt, 42774bro42774.

NorthernChaosGod
05-02-2013, 05:53 AM
Skirts can have pockets, wtf.

My jeans have five pockets that don't really bulge, swing around or whatever with every movement, and are actually big enough to put stuff in. Pockets on woman's jeans suck, why would they be better on a skirt? :confused:

:triplecolbert: at all of you

Shauna
05-02-2013, 09:49 AM
You poor misguided man.

Night Fury
05-02-2013, 09:57 AM
I'm not even joking or trolling, but some guys in Kilts are super fucking hot.

kotora
05-02-2013, 06:16 PM
Hot people are hot in anything :monster: