PDA

View Full Version : Who is Cloud in love with?

Matthewtheman
04-22-2013, 07:09 PM
Since all the LTD threads are old, and this sight frowns upon necroing, I decided to make a new LTD thread. And I feel that it's not as fun with just Tifa and Aerith as options, so I've given the poll a bunch of other options as well.

Anyway, the answer is Tifa and I'm willing to debate about it.:monster:

Laddy
04-22-2013, 09:26 PM
Tifa. Considering he, you know, actually fucked her.

Pike
04-22-2013, 10:01 PM
Didn't the Japanese version imply he was in love with Aeris? I seem to recall seeing an article about that somewhere. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Oh well.

I'm voting for Barret.

Madame Adequate
04-22-2013, 10:02 PM
Same as everyone else: Barret Wallace.

Night Fury
04-22-2013, 10:06 PM
You're all wrong.

He's in love with me.

Matthewtheman
04-22-2013, 10:07 PM
Didn't the Japanese version imply he was in love with Aeris? I seem to recall seeing an article about that somewhere. Maybe I'm misremembering.

Oh well.

I'm voting for Barret.
You're misremembering. In fact, the Japanese version is moar pro C/T than the English version, due to the English localization's mistransation of "He'll be glad for sure!" as "He'll probably be so happy."

DMKA
04-23-2013, 01:43 AM
Barret. He turned down everyone else for a date with him, after all.

Matthewtheman
04-23-2013, 02:12 AM
Y'know, going by this poll so far, the FFVII Love triangle is actually a tifa/cloud/barret love triangle rather than a tifa/cloud/aerith one.:monster:

Skyblade
04-23-2013, 05:02 AM
Y'know, going by this poll so far, the FFVII Love triangle is actually a tifa/cloud/barret love triangle rather than a tifa/cloud/aerith one.:monster:

Well, there never was a C/T/A love triangle, so it's not that surprising.:D

Aulayna
04-23-2013, 08:05 AM
He totally has a raging man crush on Sephiroth.

Mirage
04-23-2013, 08:23 AM
He totally has a raging man crush on Sephiroth.

Screw you. I was gonna say that!

Pike
04-23-2013, 11:15 AM
How does Barret not have more votes? :confused:

Loony BoB
04-23-2013, 04:38 PM
While it was intended by the developers for people to "decide from themselves, there is no right or wrong answer", the interest in Tifa is blatantly in everyone's faces while the "interest" in Aeris is left as merely a possibility. Really, the most obvious showing of love between Aeris and Cloud most certainly comes from Aeris, and she is merely confused as she sees a lot of Zach in Cloud due to Cloud taking on parts of Zach's life/personality during the ending of Crisis Core. Once Cloud knows who he really is, Aeris is already dead (and, as we see in Advent Children, happy in her death as she's now with Zach). On the other hand, Cloud finds himself having sex with Tifa. Some people might go around suggesting that they didn't actually have sex, but I really think those people need to break out of their denial - they obviously did, but it's not like they were going to plaster the words "THEY ARE HAVING SEX" all over the screen.

Alternative answers of Barret and Sephiroth are most certainly acceptable.

Jinx
04-23-2013, 05:58 PM
And yet, Aeris is the canon accepted love choice.

Loony BoB
04-23-2013, 06:39 PM
What? Where? I don't see anything that suggests that. Did Cloud say anything or do anything to Aeris that suggests he's in love with her? You know, anything that goes further than what he did with Tifa?

Mirage
04-23-2013, 06:43 PM
No you see Bob, this is what you need to do. You gotta read the lines between the lines between the lines.

Loony BoB
04-23-2013, 06:54 PM
So what you're saying is... Cloud is actually in love with JENOVA?

Karifean
04-23-2013, 08:10 PM
I think the whole point behind saying "Cloud is in love with Aerith" is that had she not died, they would've been a couple. Cloud x Tifa is what happens in the end (hello deleted scene) but you know, hypothetically...

Skyblade
04-23-2013, 10:17 PM
I think the whole point behind saying "Cloud is in love with Aerith" is that had she not died, they would've been a couple. Cloud x Tifa is what happens in the end (hello deleted scene) but you know, hypothetically...

Hypothetically, this would have happened.

Aerith would have continued digging at the inconsistencies and problems with Cloud's psyche, trying to push him out of his Zack-Persona to reveal who the actual Cloud really is.

Upon Cloud's true self finally being revealed, she'd have been happy, acknowledge that he no longer needs her, and moved on.

And he would have wound up with Tifa anyway.

Aerith has no romantic feelings towards Cloud almost anywhere in the story. She sees him as a hurt child who needs comfort and fixing, or a puzzle to be solved, nothing more. If there's any romantic interest, it's because she sees Zack in him, and she did (and, due to her knowledge of the Lifestream and the cyclical nature of life, probably still does) love Zack.

Jinx
04-24-2013, 12:15 AM

Aerith would have continued digging at the inconsistencies and problems with Cloud's psyche, trying to push him out of his Zack-Persona to reveal who the actual Cloud really is.

Upon Cloud's true self finally being revealed, she'd have been happy, acknowledge that he no longer needs her, and moved on.

Aerith has no romantic feelings towards Cloud almost anywhere in the story. She sees him as a hurt child who needs comfort and fixing, or a puzzle to be solved, nothing more. If there's any romantic interest, it's because she sees Zack in him, and she did (and, due to her knowledge of the Lifestream and the cyclical nature of life, probably still does) love Zack.

I don't think Aeris knew that Cloud was living with Zack's memories. She never made any indication that she was aware.

DMKA
04-24-2013, 01:55 AM
I dunno, the end of Advent Children sure made it look like they wanted Aeris to be with Zack.

Matthewtheman
04-24-2013, 02:22 AM
Actually, the LTD was *not* left up for interpretation. The developers have said the only thing thet left up,for interpretation was the fate lf humanity in the ending, abnd even that's not up for interpretation anymoar.And had Aerith lived, Cloud wouldn't have ended up with Aerith *or* Tifa, because Aerith and Tifa would've ended up with each other.:monster:

maybee
04-24-2013, 07:03 AM
Tifa

I mean Cloud wanted to impress her and join Solider and become the next Sephiroth because of her and also because he wanted to fit in and belong, but also because of Tifa.

Then in the Lifestream Cloud says something like " The real Cloud would be so happy when you tell him that " when Tifa tells Lifestream Cloud that she's grateful that young Cloud wanted to do all these things for her.

Aeris or Aerith still loves Zack. I mean come on. She wrote like 90 letters for him or something and then she leaps on the nearest guy that reminds her so much of Zack because he's like Zack. Aeris is more about wanting to know the real Cloud but having a huge crush on Cloud at first meeting because of the Zack in him at the time.

I think Aeris begins to love Cloud for Cloud like during at the Temple of the Ancients, but yeah Sephiroth puts a sword through her and everything. But I think that Aeris just loved Cloud as a good friend and wanted to be his support because she knew that something wasn't quite right with him.

Then in Advent Children Cloud is depressed and feels like trout for feeling like she let Aerith die and it causes some awkwardness between Cloud and Tifa and it doesn't help that in Case of Tifa, Tifa is like annoying as trout " ho ho Cloud you don't know what a Vegetable is, ho Cloud you fail " !

I don't like AC/ Case of Tifa, Tifa at all. I miss the shy and supportive Tifa. That's why AC doesn't exist same with DoC right, right ? )=

Loony BoB
04-24-2013, 09:33 AM
It should also be noted that all that sadness Cloud has over the death of Aeris is also displayed in AC for Zach, so unless Cloud's bisexual... I think people don't really get how much sadness Cloud feels regarding Zach's death because people are too focused on the Aeris stuff (which is natural given that Zach doesn't really feature much in the original game).

But yeah, the more I read about what the developers and SE have to say about Cloud's relationships, the more I see a repitition of "It's up to the user" "we wanted it to be a triangle" "it's a high school romance comedy thing", all suggesting they intended on it being open to interpretation. This is actually also why they made the sex thing 'suggested' rather than blunt - the original intention was to have them quite obviously having sex (which they didn't think would have been an issue at the time) but it was toned down.

Matthewtheman
04-24-2013, 01:00 PM
Actually, the reason the sex scene was toned down was because they were afraid of an M rating. And yeah, I hate it when people ignore Cloud's guilt for Zack during AC/C. And maybee, it's for those same reasons in the first two paragraphs of your poast that I've thought it obvious from the beginning that Cloud is in love with Tifa.

Skyblade
04-24-2013, 01:10 PM

I don't think Aeris knew that Cloud was living with Zack's memories. She never made any indication that she was aware.

Not specifically aware that he was living in Zack's memories, no. Aware that he is not himself, that he's living in an alternate persona, yes.

She constantly bugs him about his memories and past, prompting him to ask questions about things (such as, where was Tifa 5 years ago).

And she does realize how similar he is to Zack, mentioning it several times. Heck, she mentions it during the Gold Saucer date.

".........first off, it bothered me how you looked exactly
alike."
"Two completely different people, but look exactly the same."
"The way you walk, gesture..."
"I think I must have seen him again, in you..."

Now that's romantic. "Yeah, it's really freaky, but you're acting like practically a carbon copy of my old boyfriend."

In fact, while I'm at it...

Aerith
"Cloud..."
"I'm searching for you..."

Cloud
"............?"

Aerith
"I want to meet you."

Cloud
"But I'm right here."

Aerith
(I know, I know... what I mean
is...)
"I want to meet..... you."

During the date she's taking notice of Cloud's freaky similarity to Zack, and stating that she wants to meet the real Cloud, thus indicating that she knows that Cloud's current persona is just a facade. This is during the Gold Saucer date, which is pretty much the most romantically intimate the two get, and she's spending the entire time indicating that she knows how broken he is, and that she wants to reveal his true self.

Pursuing My True Self (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VKrPtx6LzrU). Sorry, I couldn't resist. The name of that song is just too perfect for this discussion.

the_best_noob
04-29-2013, 11:05 PM
GILGAMESH

How did nobody else vote it?

I think Sephiroth was subliminally Gilgamesh, therefore Cloud loves Gilgamesh

maybee
04-30-2013, 06:39 AM
Actually, the reason the sex scene was toned down was because they were afraid of an M rating. And yeah, I hate it when people ignore Cloud's guilt for Zack during AC/C. And maybee, it's for those same reasons in the first two paragraphs of your poast that I've thought it obvious from the beginning that Cloud is in love with Tifa.

Yeah Cloud and Tifa were going to get it on in the Chocobo stables on the Highwind supposedly.

Oh thanks ! Yeah I thought that it was damn obvious that Cloud loved Tifa and Aeris was in denial over Zack's death. I remember saying when I was 10 " Oh Aeris is dead, but she can be with her ex- boyfriend now " !

If a 10 year old can get it, it shouldn't be that hard. :|

black orb
04-30-2013, 10:58 AM
>>> Cloud love his mommy..:luca:

Bloodnight
05-10-2013, 04:37 PM
I believe it's Tifa.

Never was a fan of Clerith, her obsession over Cloud just because he reminded Aerith of her ex boyfriend Zack, it was just plain stupid and disgusting. Screw love triangles.

maybee
05-11-2013, 08:39 AM
I believe it's Tifa.

Never was a fan of Clerith, her obsession over Cloud just because he reminded Aerith of her ex boyfriend Zack, it was just plain stupid and disgusting.

I don't think that it was disgusting and stupid. I've gotten close to a guy because he remind me of a ex. :cry:

supernaps
06-27-2013, 12:23 AM
While it was intended by the developers for people to "decide from themselves, there is no right or wrong answer", the interest in Tifa is blatantly in everyone's faces while the "interest" in Aeris is left as merely a possibility. Really, the most obvious showing of love between Aeris and Cloud most certainly comes from Aeris, and she is merely confused as she sees a lot of Zach in Cloud due to Cloud taking on parts of Zach's life/personality during the ending of Crisis Core. Once Cloud knows who he really is, Aeris is already dead (and, as we see in Advent Children, happy in her death as she's now with Zach). On the other hand, Cloud finds himself having sex with Tifa. Some people might go around suggesting that they didn't actually have sex, but I really think those people need to break out of their denial - they obviously did, but it's not like they were going to plaster the words "THEY ARE HAVING SEX" all over the screen.

Alternative answers of Barret and Sephiroth are most certainly acceptable.

The latest Ultimania issue, did confirm (as it needed any of it, I mean it was fairly obvious in the game, especially in Cloud's psychic journey in the past) that his feelings towards Tifa are of romantic nature. I need to find that damn article.

I do agree with your alternative answers, though. Makes sense as well.

Vincent, Thunder God
06-27-2013, 02:24 AM
Spoiler alert!

Final Fantasy VII - #31 - Aeris Dies - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gvRRIY3YGFU)

Watch his reaction!

Goldenboko
06-27-2013, 02:30 AM
me

Vincent, Thunder God
06-27-2013, 02:36 AM
I think Cloud had to realize with her death that Zack was also gone. Leaving no room for Aeris as she's already passed, he moves on. Then again, leaving it open to interpretation is important. I still cry watching Aeris die.

So does this guy! Best Cry Ever guy plays Final Fantasy VII - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g04moEDjzo0)

supernaps
06-27-2013, 08:34 PM
Then again, leaving it open to interpretation is important.
Let's be real, it's open to interpretation, only if canon facts are ignored.

Vincent, Thunder God
06-27-2013, 08:41 PM
Right.

Barret's undies!

Spooniest
07-28-2013, 10:21 AM
No one has bothered yet to ask the question, "Who says the guy's in love?"

He's GOD DAMN 21!! HE'S A CHILD!!

But of course there would be no thread if that were accepted as an answer, so for the sake of argument, let's say Cloud is especially mature and capable of the depth of feeling that love calls for.

The mathematician's answer is "It depends on where in the game you are." You see, when Cloud is running around during the first half of the game, he really does believe that Zack does not exist, and that he is Zack, with one exception: his Mother is still vivid in his memory, though Jenova/Sephiroth manages to block the memories where she says things that would give their deception away.

On a subconscious level, Cloud has a preference for Aerith, until Tifa restores his true identity in the Lifestream. He is forced to question his attraction to Aerith once he knows its source (Zack Fair's orphaned memories), but feelings are feelings.

At the end of the day, he realizes that Tifa was his first love, and she belongs to him, and not to Zack, which makes him feel much more comfortable about his restored identity. Tifa becomes his anchor to sanity, and so he finally decides to break "The Friend Barrier" in his own awkward way. Tifa responds, because of course, by her own admission, fantasizing about Cloud became her pastime after he left.

So Tifa becomes Cloud's true love. As it was in the beginning, is now, and ever shall be.

Jinx
07-28-2013, 01:08 PM
Uh, since when are 21-year-olds incapable of feeling love?

Spooniest
07-28-2013, 07:11 PM
Uh, since when are 21-year-olds incapable of feeling love?

You're asking a question that has a metric ton of personal baggage for me. I respectfully decline to answer.

You're supposed to open with a joke, and you could say I was half-joking.

noxious.sunshine
07-30-2013, 04:09 PM
21 year olds are capable of feeling "love" but honest-to-God for real for real so-called true love (which I'm still on the fence about)? That's... A different story.

Anyway. Cloud is in love with Tifa. Aeris sucks, that's it.

Jinx
07-30-2013, 04:24 PM
No, they can. Don't say what someone else can and can not do. I guess my grandma who got married when she was 19 and remained married to my grandfather for 44 years--until the day he died--didn't feel true love.

Same thing for my other grandparents. And countless couples I know. Same thing for myself.

Just because you guys have had bad experiences doesn't mean that your experience is true for everyone.

noxious.sunshine
07-30-2013, 04:53 PM
'Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. I wasn't saying just for me personally, but the majority of young folks in that age group I know/see in -today's time- go on about "I'm so in love", but then it lasts for like 3 months. It's puppy love. Which more often than not, is the case. Congrats on breaking the mold.

And on that note, I think it's incredibly stupid when people date for 6 months (or whatever other short period of time - I personally still think a year isn't even long enough, but that's me), then get engaged and married.. But then I did the math and realized that my parents met like maybe a month after my dad got back from Vietnam and only dated for probably not even 6 months before they got married and then my mom was preggo like 3 months later. They're still together and happy. My dad can't survive without my mom for more than a few hours, actually without having a meltdown of some sort and destroying the RV they live in.

Which means... Cloud is in love with Tifa, but because of the off-chance that they might not save the world, it forces him to really dig deeper and kind of admit it more-so. Tifa too.

Flaming Ice
07-30-2013, 05:10 PM
You're all wrong.

He's in love with me.

You're Cait Sith!........... :eek:, my heroooooooooooooooooooo

Pumpkin
07-30-2013, 05:13 PM
'Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. I wasn't saying just for me personally, but the majority of young folks in that age group I know/see in -today's time- go on about "I'm so in love", but then it lasts for like 3 months. It's puppy love. Which more often than not, is the case. Congrats on breaking the mold.

I'm 21 and I love my boyfriend. We have been together for over a year and a half. My last boyfriend I was with from when I was 14 to 19. That's 5 years. And he was an ass but I did love him. 21 year olds CAN love. Sure some say they love people when they don't because it's just lust and it only lasts a few months. That is by no means always the case.

Heck that applies to people in their 30's too.

noxious.sunshine
07-30-2013, 05:30 PM
Like I said. Diff'rent Strokes for Diff'rent Folks. And good for you too. And again, Like I said, most of the people I have encountered and in my observations in my surroundings where I live/have lived for X amount of time, young folks are convinced they're in love and then break up 3 months later and then they look back later on down the road and realize that it really wasn't love at all. I did not say -you- specifically or b00bies specifically or her grandparents or my parents or your best friend or anyone else you may know who has fallen in love at a young age and stayed together for all of eternity are incapable of being in love at a young age. It's an observation that I have more often than not, been proved right on.

EDIT: This is turning into an EoEo thread. -_-;

Sefie1999AD
07-30-2013, 06:49 PM
He loves Mukki, of course! :p But out of the choices listed here, I'd say Tifa. :)

Raistlin
07-30-2013, 09:21 PM
Cloud was infatuated with Aerith
He was in lust with Tifa's boobs (not Tifa's Boobs)

But he loved Barret for his personality.

Actually, out of the conventional Tifa/Aerith triangle, I always thought Tifa.

Jinx
07-30-2013, 09:26 PM
What about poor Yuffie? :(

Spooniest
07-30-2013, 11:44 PM
She's just lucky they didn't roast her on a spit.

Jiro
07-31-2013, 04:32 AM
Cloud might not be in love with any of them. He was obviously infatuated with Tifa from a young age, but given the fact that there was what, just Tifa and maybe one other girl in the village, it is highly likely that his affection was one-part genuine and one-part forced. Humans tend to seek companionship like that, from what I understand. (I read this great thing once and I have no idea so forgive my poorly executed explanation.)

He probably had a thing for Aerith, but that would have been influenced by the strange sense of familiarity courtesy of Zack, the fact that he was her "bodyguard," and the fact that she seemed to be a bit flirty with him. (Aerith was probably attracted to him because of his muscles, his excellent hair, and the fact that he reminded her a lot of Zack.)

As the game progresses, the party has to deal with a lot of shit. This heightened sense of danger and all that adrenaline creates super powerful bonds between people and probably emphasised the "feelings" that Cloud had toward anyone. Spending that much time with them anyway would've probably resulted in that; I'm sure a lot of you would have felt crazy infatuated with someone at your school and then the feeling kind of fades once you no longer have to see people (if that doesn't work for you: how many of your highschool friends do you keep in contact with?).

Prior to defeating Sephiroth, Tifa has all the attention. I mean, Aerith is out of the picture sure, but she opens up about her feelings (genuine, or as above) and depending on your dating score, they might do it on the grass. That doesn't necessarily mean there's anything romantic (could be just getting pumped up for the big day), but between Tifa admitting feelings and Cloud's gratitude at her helping his mentalness subside and the feelings from his youth, there's a strong argument for them being romantically involved.

Post Sephiroth though, Cloud loses his shit and gets hyper depressed. There's nothing pushing him forward any more (I don't mean JENOVA cells), so all that adrenaline falls away and he gets angsty at failing his one job in protecting Aerith. That doesn't necessarily mean he is romantically attuned to Aerith, only the guilt over letting a friend die.

The kicker is that he leaves Tifa and the kids. He takes this protective role, and it's a pseudo-family, but then he gets complacent or whatever, and has to get out. It could be primarily caused by the guilt, or maybe his feelings weren't strong enough.

Spooniest is probably fairly accurate with his post up a bit further, but yeah, I don't think Cloud necessarily loves any of them, but at the same time, maybe he loves (romantically) both Tifa and Aerith, or maybe just one or the other. It's hard to say.

TrollHunter
07-31-2013, 07:34 AM
Well, I think it's quite obvious.
Sephy's mom has got it goin' on.

Sefie1999AD
07-31-2013, 08:33 AM
Post Sephiroth though, Cloud loses his trout and gets hyper depressed. There's nothing pushing him forward any more (I don't mean JENOVA cells), so all that adrenaline falls away and he gets angsty at failing his one job in protecting Aerith. That doesn't necessarily mean he is romantically attuned to Aerith, only the guilt over letting a friend die.

The kicker is that he leaves Tifa and the kids. He takes this protective role, and it's a pseudo-family, but then he gets complacent or whatever, and has to get out. It could be primarily caused by the guilt, or maybe his feelings weren't strong enough.

IIRC, Cloud wasn't depressed right after FFVII's events. In "On the way to a smile - Case Tifa", Cloud and Tifa are quite close, and Cloud even seems to have romantic feelings for her. But then he finds out he has Geostigma. He tries to find a cure, only to find out there is none, and that he's about to die. Not only that, but Denzel, Cloud and Tifa's pseudo-son, also has Geostigma, and Cloud is unable to heal him. The guilt of being about to die and not able to do anything about it, and that he's not able to help Denzel, made him distant to his family and run away. There's this conversation in Advent Children:

TIFA: "You have Geostigma, don't you. So it's okay to just give up and die. Is that what you think?"
CLOUD: "There's no cure."
TIFA: "That's not stopping Denzel from fighting. Don't run. Let's fight it together. We can help each other, I know we can. Or do we have to be a real family for that to work?"
CLOUD: "I am not fit to help anyone. Not my family, not my friends. No one."

And from Advent Children Complete:

MARLENE: "Does it hurt?"
CLOUD: "Yeah. But, not as bad as Denzel's."
MARLENE: "Can it be cured?"
CLOUD: "I don't know."
MARLENE: "For Denzel's sake, you've been trying so hard to find a cure for it."
CLOUD: "You knew about that?"
MARLENE: "Cloud, you should clean up your desk sometimes."
CLOUD: "I guess so."
MARLENE: "Say Cloud, because you can't fix Denzel's stigma, is that the reason why you left? Or is it because you had the stigma too?"
CLOUD: "I just thought I could take care for myself. That's what I think."
MARLENE: "How can you look after your family if you can't even take good care of yourself? Or, at least that is what daddy would say. Cloud, don't give up."
CLOUD: "You, and Denzel, and Tifa are always there to help me. You're always there whenever I need you. For now, it's my turn."
MARLENE: "Sure."

Based on that, I definitely wouldn't say Cloud's feelings for his pseudo-family weren't strong enough.

EDIT: Jiro, if you want, I can PM you a link to an English translation of "Case of Tifa". :)

Raistlin
08-02-2013, 10:44 PM
Spooniest is probably fairly accurate with his post up a bit further, but yeah, I don't think Cloud necessarily loves any of them, but at the same time, maybe he loves (romantically) both Tifa and Aerith, or maybe just one or the other. It's hard to say.

I just got whiplash from all the equivocating. :p

Sephy: that's interesting. I've seen people use AC as an example as why Cloud didn't really care about Tifa, but in that context you make it sound like, if anything, it supports the opposite conclusion.

ThornQueen
08-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Other: Jenova

Serious note, I always shipped Cloud and Aeris and it wasn't until my pre-teen self encountered forums and the internet that I learned people also thought of Cloud/Tifa as a thing and there was an LTD.