PDA

View Full Version : Alpha Centauri - E-Mail Pass and Play

Cruise Control
04-23-2013, 06:52 PM
So, after talking about it with a few people, I think we should start an Alpha Centauri email game. We can just upload it somewhere convenient, and post it here when its someone elses turn. This seems like it could be pretty legit.

If you don't know about Alpha Centauri you should:
Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri (SMAC) is the critically acclaimed science fiction 4X turn-based strategy video game sequel to the Civilization series. Sid Meier, designer of Civilization, and Brian Reynolds, designer of Civilization II, developed Alpha Centauri after they left MicroProse to join the newly created developer Firaxis Games. Electronic Arts released both SMAC and its expansion, Sid Meier's Alien Crossfire (SMAX), in 1999. In the following year, Aspyr Media and Loki Software ported both titles over to Mac OS and Linux.
Set in the 22nd century, the game begins as seven competing ideological factions land on the planet Chiron ("Planet") in the Alpha Centauri star system. As the game progresses, Planet's growing sentience becomes a formidable obstacle to the human colonists. Alpha Centauri features improvements on Civilization II's game engine, including simultaneous multiplay, social engineering, climate, customizable units, alien native life, additional diplomatic and spy options, additional ways to win, and greater mod-ability. Alien Crossfire introduces five new human and two non-human factions as well as additional technologies, facilities, secret projects, native life, unit abilities and a victory condition.
The game received wide critical acclaim, being compared favorably to Civilization II. Critics praised its science fiction storyline (comparing the plot to works by Stanley Kubrick, Frank Herbert, Arthur C. Clarke and Isaac Asimov), the in-game writing, the voice acting, the user-created custom units, and the depth of the technology tree. SMAC also won several awards for best game of the year and best strategy game of the year. However, despite the good reception, the game had the lowest sales of the Civilization series.
The game is available for $6 on GOG (http://www.gog.com/gamecard/sid_meiers_alpha_centauri), for XP and up, as well Mac OS X (10.6.8 or newer).

If you're interested, post saying if we should play the base game or Alien Crossfire, as well as what faction you'd want.

Votes for SMAC: 4
Votes for AX: 1

Miriam - Believers: Cruise Control
Yang - Hive: Vivi22
Zak - University: Pike
Morgan - Morgan Industries:I'm my own MILF
Diedre - Gaia's Believers: Psychotic
Santiago - Spartan's: BOT (Citizen)
Lal - Peacekeapers: BOT (Transcendant)

Nautilus Pirates - Psychotic

I say we go base game, and dibs on Miriam and the Lord's Believers.

Slothy
04-23-2013, 06:56 PM
I would be up for this. I would be Yang and crush Miriam and her Believers on principle.

Cruise Control
04-23-2013, 06:59 PM
I would be up for this. I would be Yang and crush Miriam and her Believers on principle.
Please, you couldn't crush a one-armed Daughter of Gaia, and they like trees.

Pike
04-23-2013, 06:59 PM
I claim Zak and vote base SMAC.

Mirage
04-23-2013, 07:10 PM
No cybernetic consciousness for you, paiku?

Pike
04-23-2013, 07:12 PM
No cybernetic consciousness for you, paiku?

They're SMAX, not SMAC. Also I suck at playing them for some reason.

Mirage
04-23-2013, 07:22 PM
Maybe your circuits aren't compatible with their future tech.

(And I knew that, I just don't know why you couldn't just play SMAX instead!)

Cruise Control
04-23-2013, 07:32 PM
:mad2: Don't you badmouth Pike's circuits, I will totally nerve staple you.

Slothy
04-23-2013, 07:40 PM
Hey now. Atrocities are my thing.

Psychotic
04-23-2013, 08:05 PM
I am up for this. Also, just to mix it up: ALIEN CROSSFIRE SPACE VIKINGS (nautilus pirates, w/e)

Mirage
04-23-2013, 08:44 PM

Don't get me wrong. Pike's circuits are wonderful <3, but they're not from 100 years into the future. I mean, what if they don't even use electricity in a hundred years from now!?

Pike
04-23-2013, 11:02 PM
(And I knew that, I just don't know why you couldn't just play SMAX instead!)

I prefer the base game when it comes to mechanics (and faction balance, for that matter.)

YEAH

SO THERE

Denmark
04-23-2013, 11:07 PM
pike will win simply because university

i can't even commit time to a solo game, but i will be keeping an eye on this for the funs

Cruise Control
04-25-2013, 12:06 AM
Psy, who would you play in base SMAC, do we want bots for unplayed factions (and what difficulty), and any deviations from standard rules?

I will go with the lowest difficulty suggested.

I vote bots on Transcendent.

Pike
04-25-2013, 12:48 AM
Psy, who would you play in base SMAC, do we want bots for unplayed factions (and what difficulty), and any deviations from standard rules?

I vote bots on Transcendent.

I vote bots and the lowest difficulty setting possible.

Madame Adequate
04-25-2013, 12:50 AM
Oh hey I forgot this thread. I'm in for SMAC, and you best believe it's Morgan Time.

Pike
04-25-2013, 02:12 AM
Thought I would mention that I'm okay with a higher difficulty if other people are. But damn the higher difficulties on SMAC are brutal.

Psychotic
04-25-2013, 06:59 PM

I vote bots on Transcendent.Oh man all the good ones got taken. Let's get hippie, I guess. Though I'm not quite sure of the concept. Like, one turn and then email it on? Shit is going to take years. Literally.

Pike
04-25-2013, 07:01 PM

I vote bots on Transcendent.Oh man all the good ones got taken. Let's get hippie, I guess. Though I'm not quite sure of the concept. Like, one turn and then email it on? Shit is going to take years. Literally.

Yup. I've definitely heard of SMAC PBeM games that go on that long.

Cruise Control
04-26-2013, 04:25 AM
It'll at least be fun and generate some awesome stories.

Check the OP, it's finalized. I figured it would be fun to put Lal on Transcendent since he has a tendency to be a dick and beat the snot out of someone asap. Figured that kind of force to rally against would be fun.