PDA

View Full Version : Hardest Superboss

Karifean
04-23-2013, 08:40 PM
So what do you think is the hardest superboss in the series? At least of the games you played. Btw, the 20 options limitation was pretty limiting here. I tried to include as many viable options as possible. Many superbosses are generally considered to be easier than others from the same game, so I left those out. With X, X-2 and XII, I tried to have the best options from both the initial and the international releases.

Now of course, different people will have different opinions on what makes a boss hard. Still, I'd like to see what the general consensus is.

For me, Major Numerus is the toughest one. A number of the bosses I haven't fought yet, but Numerus definitely gave me a pretty hard time. Most of you probably never fought him since he's exclusive to the International version of X-2, but hey, you might when it comes out on PS3.

Pete for President
04-23-2013, 10:06 PM
Penance for me, but to be fair I haven't fought that many that are on the list. Penance was hard, but it was the right kind of difficulty. Come prepared, know everything there is to know, plan and count your moves accordingly, execute correctly and you'll most likely succeed. Fail in one of those areas and your chances are reduced greatly. Almost nothing in this battle is left to chance, which also indicates the difficulty is well thought out. We don't count Zanmato, of course. I liked fighting Penance.

Sephiroth
04-23-2013, 10:15 PM
Ruby.

And no, not the one from Final Fantasy IX.

Formalhaut
04-24-2013, 12:35 AM
Yiazmat was incredibly long, but not that difficult.

Chac was definitely difficult, but I wouldn't say the hardest ever. Same goes with Paragon/Trema.

Vercingetorix, with the right strategy, can be handled, but is definitely intimidating.

Omega Mk. XII, was tricky, but I found Zodiark harder. Don't know why.

Long Gui is not a superboss. A very deathly annoying enemy yes, but a superboss? Not for me.

Gilgamesh and Valfodr aren't really the hardest. They are damn annoying though.

For me, Penance was pure torture because I had to get Wakka's reels and his weapon. Damn you Blitzball!!!!!!!!!!

Dr. rydrum2112
04-24-2013, 01:32 AM
I am not picking the one I think is currently, but at the time (when I was a lot younger) nothing was harder than facing Aire-Tam Storm or Whirlsand!

Gamblet
04-24-2013, 06:57 PM
Shinryu was already difficult for me on original FFV, I bet Neo Shinryu is a lot more stronger.

Elpizo
04-24-2013, 08:39 PM
Ozma, because his battle, no matter how strong and powerful you are, will always require some luck in order to beat him.

TreasonWall
05-24-2013, 02:08 PM
Let' see, I've vanquished Warmech (PS1 Normal difficulty + NES-style gameplay), Zeromus EG (twice, both times without Grimoires), Brachioraidos (without Abel's Lance, Adamant Armors or Hero's Shields), Omega (without dual-wield or stop), Shinryu (without berserk or Dragon Lances), Omega Mk.II (also without dual-wield or stop, though I'm baffled as to what exactly happened in that fight), Enuo, Neo Shinryu (also without berserk or dragon lances, and what a nightmare that was), Kaiser Dragon (twice of course), FF6 Omega Weapon, FF7 Ruby Weapon (without KOTR/Mime/Game Over/Lucky 7s), Emerald Weapon (with KOTR at level 2 and one Mime), FF8 Ultima Weapon (the ones in FF7 and FF10 don't even count, let's be real), FF8 Omega Weapon (without Aura/invincible/The End), Hades, Ozma (Quale and Tantarian don't count either), FF10 PAL/International Omega Weapon (no Zanmato or Celestial Weapons), and I guess that's it.

Out of all those, Emerald Weapon was by far the hardest considering that it made exceptionally me give up my fair fight policy. I just didn't have the strength to keep trying. Neo Shinryu is a close second, nasty piece of work that one. As for the PS2 games, monsters like Fenrir (FF10) and Fafnir (FF12) are pounding me hard enough as it is.

Shaibana
05-26-2013, 12:51 PM
for me it was the final boss of XIII... i still havent finished that one and im not going to!
ive problably made it hard on myself becaus i havent upgraded the weapons the right way

TreasonWall
05-26-2013, 10:06 PM
Sorry Shaibana, but the title says "Hardest Superboss". The final boss (Orphan) is a storyline boss, therefore it cannot be a superboss. Vercingetorix and Long Gui are.

Shaibana
05-26-2013, 10:10 PM
what defines a super boss? :o

TreasonWall
05-26-2013, 10:21 PM
what defines a super boss? :o

Simple enough. It's a boss that is optional and stronger/harder than the final boss of the game. Here's a quick run-down for the main series:

I - Warmech (NES/PS1 versions only, it's too weak in the later re-releases)
IV - Zeromus EG and Brachioraidos (GBA/PSP), or Geryon and Proto-Babil (DS)
V - Omega, Shinryu, Enuo, Omega Mk.II, Neo Shinryu
VI - Kaiser Dragon and Omega Weapon
VII - Ruby Weapon and Emerald Weapon
VIII - Ultima Weapon and Omega Weapon
IX - Hades and Ozma
X - Omega Weapon (PAL/International version only, it's way too easy in the first release), the Monster Arena creations, the Dark Aeons and Penance
XI - Pandemonium Warden and Absolute Virtue, and probably others I don't know about
XII - Ultima, Zodiark, Hell Wyrm, Yiazmat, Omega Mark XII, the five Judge Magisters (Trial Mode Stage 100)
XIII - Vercingetorix and Long Gui
XIV - Ifrit and Nael Deus Darnus under certain conditions.

...That's it for the most part.

Shaibana
05-26-2013, 10:31 PM
aah like that!!
i dnt think i have encounterd any of them :o

chaos7
05-27-2013, 12:33 AM
I can't answer this because even before I start to think about fighting these bosses I get maxed out lvl ultimate weapons ext.. so at the point when I fight them they're all easy to me and I know them all so I wouldn't even think to fight them without maxing out, I mean so you can like the ff7 ones are easy as long as you have phoenix - final attack(a few lvls on it would help alot), mime and Knights of the Round and know to kill one character before you start the ruby fight.

Gamblet
05-27-2013, 01:26 PM
I still have not defeated Emerald WEAPON. I think it is the hardest for me.

chaos7
05-27-2013, 04:53 PM
Just make sure you have knights of the round, mime(3 would be best), final attack phoenix paired with final attack(3 for each character), and the underwater breathing mataria and you will have no problem.

Skyblade
05-27-2013, 07:08 PM
Ozma, because his battle, no matter how strong and powerful you are, will always require some luck in order to beat him.

Which means he's not a "hard" boss, he's a cheap boss. There's a difference.

It's the same reason why I don't count Yiazmat as a hard boss. Luck is not difficulty. If there's an attack you can't block or mitigate at all that can kill you instantly, then, yeah, it will kill you.

That doesn't make it hard.

Ultima Shadow
05-27-2013, 07:39 PM

It's the same reason why I don't count Yiazmat as a hard boss. Luck is not difficulty. If there's an attack you can't block or mitigate at all that can kill you instantly, then, yeah, it will kill you.

That doesn't make it hard.
^- Yep. A hard battle means that you actually need to try hard and play smart in order to win. This is why, despite the fact that I consider Omega Weapon in FF8 to be one of the easiest super bosses, he's still also one of my absolute favourite battles in the entire FF series. He's the least random super boss, thus it's almost purely strategy and timing that decides the outcome instead of luck.

Just make sure you have knights of the round, mime(3 would be best), final attack phoenix paired with final attack(3 for each character), and the underwater breathing mataria and you will have no problem.
...or, you can choose to not ruin an awesome battle, while also saving yourself the trouble of getting all those materias, by simply equiping a minimal amount of materia in order to prevent Aire Tam Storm from being devestating, plus kill all of the "eyes" except one of the yellow ones. :monster:

...also, my vote goes to Penance.

Raistlin
05-27-2013, 07:56 PM

Hah, yes, if you spend tens of hours doing nothing but leveling up materia late-game, Emmy's a cinch. :p

chaos7
05-27-2013, 07:59 PM
well if you can't beat him the regular way that's you best bet.

Elpizo
05-27-2013, 08:54 PM

It's hardly cheap, it's the way Meteor's damage works in FF IX. It can do high damage or low damage, always, not just when Ozma uses it. It works that way when you use it, too, so. It's not some unique move they gave him in order to make him harder, they simply used existing game mechanics. Deathguise opens with meteor, and you just need a little luck that it won't do a lot of damage. That's how it works, and I don't see that as cheap. If it is, then every single boss in the whole history of gaming is cheap, because part of the battle will always be you getting lucky he doesn't use this or that move at the wrong moment. Luck will always play a factor in RPGs, unless you have bosses with set patterns, which are a laugh.

Karifean
05-27-2013, 09:23 PM
If it is, then every single boss in the whole history of gaming is cheap, because part of the battle will always be you getting lucky he doesn't use this or that move at the wrong moment. Luck will always play a factor in RPGs, unless you have bosses with set patterns, which are a laugh.

I don't know about that. Emerald Weapon has a set pattern. Omega Weapon from VIII has a set pattern. Penance X has pretty much a set pattern. Shinra has a set pattern. Finally, Numerus has a set pattern. Of course, all of them deviate a bit but mostly by a 50% chance or something and that's it. I consider all of those hard bosses.

Ultima Shadow
05-27-2013, 11:20 PM
If it is, then every single boss in the whole history of gaming is cheap, because part of the battle will always be you getting lucky he doesn't use this or that move at the wrong moment. Luck will always play a factor in RPGs, unless you have bosses with set patterns, which are a laugh.
A small amount of luck being involved doesn't make a boss cheap. Yes, almost all RPG bosses are random to some degree. But whatever the boss throws at you, there should be a way to respond to it/counter it/prepare against it. The existence of an attack combination that's 100% impossible to survive and which a boss might use randomly can make the battle completely up to luck alone, however. If there is no possible way to prepare for or defend against a random non-timed/conditional attack, then I'd say that attack is a bit cheap. And I wouldn't say that it makes a boss hard, since luck is the sole deciding factor.

A boss can be hard if it has an attack that's really hard to survive, like... if Omega Weapon used Terra Break randomly, he would be harder since it would require you to be prepared for a Terra Break at all times. You would either need to have a character using Defend through the whole battle, or keep your party under Protect and at full health during each of Omega's turns. There would be some luck involved, since Omega using Terra Break often would be difficult to handle, while him hardly ever using it wouldn't be too bad. But it would be possible to go into the battle, and come out victorious even if Omega would decide to use Terra Break very frequently. Thus the random Terra Breaks would be a challenge to overcome.

But a random instant-game over is just a reset button. It can mean that the player will require a greater number of attempts to win, but it doesn't offer the player any challenge to be overcome, since there is nothing the player can actually do.

TreasonWall
05-27-2013, 11:46 PM
[QUOTE=chaos7;3261703]Just make sure you have knights of the round, mime(3 would be best), final attack phoenix paired with final attack(3 for each character), and the underwater breathing mataria and you will have no problem.
...or, you can choose to not ruin an awesome battle, while also saving yourself the trouble of getting all those materias, by simply equiping a minimal amount of materia in order to prevent Aire Tam Storm from being devestating, plus kill all of the "eyes" except one of the yellow ones. :monster:

I tried doing that multiple times, but Emerald is just so damn fast and violent that I gave up trying after a while. Admittedly, the victory ended up coming too easy and my Emerald video is boring as hell, but at least I won. On the positive side, I played it fair against Ruby and that worked really well. And I managed to prove the point that really matters: not only does Chocobo breeding seriously suck, but it isn't necessary to achieve anything in the game. Proof is, you can beat Ruby with none of the Materia from the Materia Caves, and then you get a Gold Chocobo anyway, so tough.

As for Ozma, I'm on the side that says it's badly designed. The trick with the ATB is original and does bring something genuine to the fight, but it's really cryptic and you'll never understand it unless someone else just flat-out tells you what the deal is. As for Curse and Meteor, they are plain and simply unfair. Like most players, I ended up winning because it randomly decided not to cast them.

Skyblade
05-28-2013, 06:30 AM

I don't know about that. Emerald Weapon has a set pattern. Omega Weapon from VIII has a set pattern. Penance X has pretty much a set pattern. Shinra has a set pattern. Finally, Numerus has a set pattern. Of course, all of them deviate a bit but mostly by a 50% chance or something and that's it. I consider all of those hard bosses.

Not to mention Margaret or Elizabeth from Persona, and I'd rate either of them as more difficult than any battle I've faced in any Final Fantasy game.

A small amount of luck being involved doesn't make a boss cheap. Yes, almost all RPG bosses are random to some degree. But whatever the boss throws at you, there should be a way to respond to it/counter it/prepare against it. The existence of an attack combination that's 100% impossible to survive and which a boss might use randomly can make the battle completely up to luck alone, however. If there is no possible way to prepare for or defend against a random non-timed/conditional attack, then I'd say that attack is a bit cheap. And I wouldn't say that it makes a boss hard, since luck is the sole deciding factor.

A boss can be hard if it has an attack that's really hard to survive, like... if Omega Weapon used Terra Break randomly, he would be harder since it would require you to be prepared for a Terra Break at all times. You would either need to have a character using Defend through the whole battle, or keep your party under Protect and at full health during each of Omega's turns. There would be some luck involved, since Omega using Terra Break often would be difficult to handle, while him hardly ever using it wouldn't be too bad. But it would be possible to go into the battle, and come out victorious even if Omega would decide to use Terra Break very frequently. Thus the random Terra Breaks would be a challenge to overcome.

But a random instant-game over is just a reset button. It can mean that the player will require a greater number of attempts to win, but it doesn't offer the player any challenge to be overcome, since there is nothing the player can actually do.

Yep, that's the thing. It's not a "small amount" of luck. It's something that determines the entire fate of the battle, that you literally can do nothing to control or mitigate.

Essentially it gives Ozma the ability to rage-quit the fight any time he wants. It's not "hard", it's cheap. If you take away his ability to say "that's it, this fight is over, I'm out", he's actually a pathetically easy boss.

Perhaps a better example, though, Ultima Shadow, is Ultima Weapon from FFVIII. He's faster than Omega, and has no pattern. There is literally nothing preventing him from tossing out three Light Pillars, each of which does 9999 damage, and wasting your entire party. Except that you have GFs that can block them, and Defend which can negate them. True, you might not be expecting them and have the right person blocking at the right time, but you can mitigate the attack if you plan well, prepare, and know what he's tossing out. That's luck affecting a fight. Not luck deciding a fight, which is what Ozma is (although I do still considering Ultima somewhat cheap, since there's nothing keeping him from throwing them out continuously as far as I know, which forces the battle to a stalemate, since you'd spend all your time Defending with no time to attack or revive, but you can still get the point).

Gamblet
05-29-2013, 12:11 PM

I'll find another way. :cool:

Elpizo
05-29-2013, 12:18 PM
A small amount of luck being involved doesn't make a boss cheap. Yes, almost all RPG bosses are random to some degree. But whatever the boss throws at you, there should be a way to respond to it/counter it/prepare against it. The existence of an attack combination that's 100% impossible to survive and which a boss might use randomly can make the battle completely up to luck alone, however.

True, but again, in case of Ozma, Meteor isn't 100% impossible to survive since Meteor's damage is entirely random, no matter what enemy (or Vivi) uses it in the game. In IX, Deathguise opens with Meteor. The first time I faced him, it killed me in one hit. The second time, it barely did any damage at all. It's how the spell works. Now if Ozma had something that could always, 100% instant kill you, then I would agree it's cheap. But as it is, he doesn't, he just attacks fast and hard, and has one, one move that requires you to be lucky. It might kill you, it might not. I don't agree that that makes Ozma as a whole cheap. Especially since there are ways in which you can set yourself to survive even if Meteor decideds to smurf you, like auto-life. Ozma has no real, 100% instant game over move. He does have one move that's like rolling a dice, and you just need luck, and that move isn't even exclusive to him since the player has access to it as well.

TreasonWall
05-30-2013, 09:16 AM
Wait, how did I forget? Let's ask someone who's almost vanquished all of them, though he admittedly likes to over-grind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLMcU-6bxsA

Loony BoB
05-30-2013, 10:15 AM
If you count MMO's, then XI had a boss that took something like an estimated 36 hours to beat (and was never beaten at that strength) if I recall correctly - although they nerfed that dramatically from what I understand. Of the bosses I've faced in XIV, van Darnus was hardest and I didn't even face the 'hard' version of him. I find MMO bosses more challenging because I never had a strict group of eight so it was always a case of learning how to adapt to a 2-3 new players each time. We got there in the end, though!

Of the single-player bosses I've faced up to, five-starring Vercingetorix was a mission and a half, but beating him in general wasn't too bad. Five-starring Gigantuar without relying on something like the luck of Random Chain would be very tricky, too.

I'm not a massive superboss hunting guy, though. I haven't even beaten some of the superbosses in FFVII despite it being my favourite game.

Wolf Kanno
06-05-2013, 12:46 AM
I might say Ozma, but for me, his cheap factor was never Meteor as much as it was his ability to Mini your party which is one of the only status effects you can't defend against and pretty much makes Quina 9and a lot of remedies) a requirement in your party.

Beyond that, I don't feel many of the super bosses are hard, like Skyblade, I feel MegaTen's recent games have all made super bosses that would make the hardiest of super bosses in FF wince at.

Skyblade
06-05-2013, 04:35 PM
A small amount of luck being involved doesn't make a boss cheap. Yes, almost all RPG bosses are random to some degree. But whatever the boss throws at you, there should be a way to respond to it/counter it/prepare against it. The existence of an attack combination that's 100% impossible to survive and which a boss might use randomly can make the battle completely up to luck alone, however.

True, but again, in case of Ozma, Meteor isn't 100% impossible to survive since Meteor's damage is entirely random, no matter what enemy (or Vivi) uses it in the game. In IX, Deathguise opens with Meteor. The first time I faced him, it killed me in one hit. The second time, it barely did any damage at all. It's how the spell works. Now if Ozma had something that could always, 100% instant kill you, then I would agree it's cheap. But as it is, he doesn't, he just attacks fast and hard, and has one, one move that requires you to be lucky. It might kill you, it might not. I don't agree that that makes Ozma as a whole cheap. Especially since there are ways in which you can set yourself to survive even if Meteor decideds to smurf you, like auto-life. Ozma has no real, 100% instant game over move. He does have one move that's like rolling a dice, and you just need luck, and that move isn't even exclusive to him since the player has access to it as well.

No, Meteor isn't a 100% always kill. Neither is Darkja from FFXII. It doesn't matter, though, because nothing you do can affect it. If Meteor hits you for max damage, it will kill you (and Ozma can follow up with Curse which will kill you instantly even with auto-rez on). You cannot change this. If Darkja hits with the instant death portion on all of your active characters, you are dead, period.

I have no problem with Meteor. I have a problem with Meteor being capable of inflicting 9999 damage to each of your characters with there being literally no way to negate that. It doesn't matter how small the chance of this happening is, that is cheap, not difficult. And, again, remove the 9999 Meteor and he is a really, really easy boss. Setting up to absorb Shadow alone and healing from Ozma and Vivi's Doomsday can be enough to get you through the fight, as long as you don't get hit by the 9999 Meteor.

Hard is a boss you have to plan strategies and tactics around, that you have to know how and when to attack. Cheap is a boss being able to just go "nope, you're dead", which is what Ozma's 9999 Meteor and Curse combination gives him. It doesn't matter how rare it is, the fact that he can do it, and that is the only real thing that can set you back in this fight.

Oh, and don't argue that it's fair because you can do it as well. That doesn't mean it's not cheap, and then too, most enemies at endgame have more than 9999 health.

Karifean
06-05-2013, 05:24 PM
Wait, how did I forget? Let's ask someone who's almost vanquished all of them, though he admittedly likes to over-grind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QLMcU-6bxsA

Yeah, I watched that video. Can't say I agree with some of his choices though. I'm glad he put Chac as high as he did, because that thing hits really damn hard. If you don't know what you're up against, she'll obliterate you like it was nothing. I wouldn't have put Ozma up there though, for the reasons already outlined in this thread.

Ultima Shadow
06-05-2013, 08:33 PM
Yeah, I watched that video. Can't say I agree with some of his choices though. I'm glad he put Chac as high as he did, because that thing hits really damn hard. If you don't know what you're up against, she'll obliterate you like it was nothing. I wouldn't have put Ozma up there though, for the reasons already outlined in this thread.
Watched it too, and I also disagree with that guy completely.

I actually don't remember a whole lot about Chac though, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have any big trouble getting past him/her/it. If I did, I'd probably have remembered it.

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Yukari2.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Bernkastel1.png
"...of course, all of these weaklings are
nothing but mere bugs, easily crushed
and hardly even worth a mention when
compared to me. Superbosses? Pfft!"

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Bernkastel2.pnghttp://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c344/AGAFURO/Yukari1.png
"Oh shut up Yukari. You're from a 2D-shooter,
not an RPG, so your bulltrout doesn't count."

Karifean
06-09-2013, 02:07 PM
Anyone who dared go into the Via Infinito without using Cat Nip naturally hit the brick wall of Chac. Without the right setups, she is impossible. I would've voted for her except Major Numerus is pure insanity. Remember how much HP you had when you played X-2? Well Numerus hits your entire party for 19000 damage after you've taken a maximum of two turns per character (and only if you're REALLY fast).

Skyblade
06-09-2013, 06:59 PM
Y'know, I hear a lot about Chac, but I have to say, I completed the Via Infinito (and Oversouled every Fiend in the game), and I don't ever remember Chac. And I didn't use the Catnip until the last ten floors. When does Chac show up?

Karifean
06-09-2013, 08:11 PM
It's the basilisk boss that appears on Level 80 and in random encounters on Levels 81-84. She primarily uses Stony Glare on your characters and occasionally throws in physical attacks that are about as strong as Mega Tonberry's Chef's Knife. Every sixth turn, she uses Heaven's Cataract, which deals massive magic damage to the entire party and greatly lowers your defenses.

Most people either get past her by oversouling her (making her far too easy), stagger-locking her with 3 fast attackers or simply Cat Nipping her to death, praying to god she doesn't shatter your Gunner. Ironically, if you don't go the cheap route, she's probably the easiest to beat if you only use one character as then you won't have to worry about curing your petrified characters. Otherwise, three Mascots can take her on and mostly come out on top.

Ultima Shadow
06-09-2013, 08:30 PM
As far as I can remember, I used an Alchemist, a Dark Knight and... "something else" during the later floors. Maybe the last one was a Gunner with catnip, since I just can't remember Chac being a problem at all. If I had been stuck on Chac for even a decent amount of time, I'm sure I'd have remembered it.

Bloodnight
06-10-2013, 06:17 PM
Neo Shinryu and Ruby weapon were a real pain in the ass, especially Neo Shinryu.:mad:

Ultima Shadow
06-14-2013, 01:28 PM
Anyone who dared go into the Via Infinito without using Cat Nip naturally hit the brick wall of Chac. Without the right setups, she is impossible.
IMPOSSIBRU!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60n4j3LVKjs) :monster:

Edit:

EVEN MORE IMPOSSIBRU!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4BeG6x3tZg) :monster:

So I'll fall back to my previous statement: "I actually don't remember a whole lot about Chac, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have any big trouble getting past him/her/it. If I did, I'd probably have remembered it" ...since he/she/it apparently isn't impossible at all without the recommended setups. :p

Karifean
06-14-2013, 01:55 PM
Anyone who dared go into the Via Infinito without using Cat Nip naturally hit the brick wall of Chac. Without the right setups, she is impossible.
IMPOSSIBRU!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60n4j3LVKjs) :monster:

Edit:

EVEN MORE IMPOSSIBRU!!! (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4BeG6x3tZg) :monster:

So I'll fall back to my previous statement: "I actually don't remember a whole lot about Chac, but I'm pretty sure I didn't have any big trouble getting past him/her/it. If I did, I'd probably have remembered it" ...since he/she/it apparently isn't impossible at all without the recommended setups. :p

I also fall back on my previous statement: "Without the right setups, she is impossible." I know these videos well and I included those setups in that statement. It may seem like s/he's restricting him/herself in these videos, but they're actually setups that get you through Chac much easier than without it.

If you use just one character, Chac suddenly becomes easier. I know it sounds weird, but not having to worry about Stony Glare at all is a huge relief. That leaves the physical attack and Heaven's Cataract. Physical attack can be negated with a Berserker, Heaven's Cataract is the only dangerous thing left. Again, this is a very specific setup and one of the few that will get you through Chac unscathed.

Mascot I also tend to count as a specific setup because of how hard it is to get (at least in the non-International versions) and how it ridiculously out-powers all other dresspheres in the game. Innate Auto-Shell, Auto-Protect and just overall great stats really put Mascot above everything else. A setup similar to the one in the video is incidentally also how I got through Chac.

Point being, most people playing through the Via Infinito will not think of these setups. 95% of players will never get Mascot. Near to no players will ever think of using the single Berserker setup. People who do hit the brick wall of Chac eventually come up with strategies to beat her - but a very large majority fell back on, say, Cat Nip.

Even if this still doesn't come across as "this is a hard boss", there's not really anything worse to be found in the FF series. It's not like there is a boss in FF you can't play around with. :p

Ultima Shadow
06-14-2013, 02:22 PM
Mascot was that hard to get? *blames his bad FFX-2 memory again* :p

Well, if the amount of possible setups can range even that much, though, I don't see how Chac would be worse than, say, Ruby Weapon. Ruby Weapon is also a boss fight that, while possible with a variety of strategies, still requires specific strategies/setups to beat. Any random party can't just rush straight in there unprepared and win. Same with Penance etc.

In either case, I personally don't remember Chac standing out as a very hard boss to get past. But yes, all FF bosses can be cheesed completely one way or another. :p

Edit:

Just saw that Chac can be stagger-locked with the initial dresspheres too. Even if stun-locking, no matter which dresspheres are used, is just another very specific strategy, I'd argue that this is still a far too easily accessible strat to take down Chac for Chac to be considered the hardest. :p

Editaga:

Oh, and one more thing... "songstress isn't that hard to get, right?"/no mascot version (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJfzgbdVLC4) :monster:

Say whatever you want about this one, but I am going to laugh out loud at DarkKefka's claim that the battle is impossible without "being cheap" in that YouTube video someone posted. :greenie: