PDA

View Full Version : Eat Heart

Chris
04-25-2013, 09:12 PM
I know that it looks as if I am trying to be weird with my food choices, but I grew up eating all of these things, so I'm not pulling a Björk-weird-for-the-sake-of-being-weird.

http://farm7.staticflickr.com/6042/6358659213_a3995e034b_z.jpg

Have you ever tasted heart in any way or fashion? This is hardly an exotic body part to eat. I actually know quite a lot of people who have tasted heart.

Shorty
04-25-2013, 09:37 PM
Feet and hearts. You are the most culinary adventurous person I think I've ever known.

No.

Quindiana Jones
04-25-2013, 09:44 PM
Feet are pointless and disgusting.

Heart and liver, on the other hand, are delicious and magnificent. I made a really nice diced ox heart sandwich. Heart fills you up like you wouldn't believe, and it powers you through the whole day. Hell, it powers you through a few! xD

I don't like kidney on its own, though.

Miriel
04-25-2013, 10:05 PM
I've had chicken heart. It tasted fine, but mentally it's a weird thing for me to get past. Eating things like heart or brain or feet.

Jinx
04-25-2013, 10:09 PM
I think you're just starting to troll.

Chris
04-25-2013, 10:10 PM
I don't troll about food. Or love making. It's heartless of you to even think so. :(

Miriel
04-25-2013, 10:26 PM
You know, nearly all the other countries in the world regularly eat offal meats. It's really only the United States that has an issue with it.

So if you're icked out by things like hearts and liver, then it probably just means that you've been super limited in the kinds of food you eat.

When we were in Italy, we saw tripe on the menu everywhere. If you've ever eaten at a Brazilian BBQ place, you're surely to have been offered chicken hearts. Same for Japanese yakitori.

Pike
04-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Sorry Chris.

If it's meat but it's not beef, pork, ham, bacon, chicken, turkey, or seafood, I'm not going to eat it. xD

Chris
04-25-2013, 10:29 PM
Thank you, Miriel. If you people think feet and hearts are unusual things to eat, I'm glad I've been holding back. But to be honest, those things are quite normal to eat in the Philippines, which is where half of me is from. I am also half Danish, so I can understand the Western aversion to such delicacies.

Jinx
04-25-2013, 10:31 PM
I actually have had Brazilian BBQ loads of times, and I've never had heart.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-25-2013, 10:33 PM
What I picture:

Totally would try it cooked.

Pike
04-25-2013, 10:48 PM
Thank you, Miriel. If you people think feet and hearts are unusual things to eat, I'm glad I've been holding back. But to be honest, those things are quite normal to eat in the Philippines, which is where half of me is from. I am also half Danish, so I can understand the Western aversion to such delicacies.

I'm not saying it's unusual, I'm saying I'm not adventurous when it comes to food. Heck, there's plenty of things my friends and family eat all the time that I won't touch.

Aulayna
04-25-2013, 11:04 PM
Really depends on how it's cooked and what it's served with.

For example I'm not a huge fan of liver but I won't say no to a good liver stew.

Denmark
04-25-2013, 11:10 PM
we are talking, like, cow or pig heart here, right? not like, human heart

i might try it if it was offered.

Chris
04-25-2013, 11:13 PM
no we're talking lionheart here

Miriel
04-26-2013, 12:52 AM
I actually have had Brazilian BBQ loads of times, and I've never had heart.

You've been to a churrascaria and they didn't have chicken heart? That's pretty strange. :o

In terms of liver, the only kind I've ever been a fan of was foie gras. And they recently banned it in California. ;_;

Sorry Chris.

If it's meat but it's not beef, pork, ham, bacon, chicken, turkey, or seafood, I'm not going to eat it. xD

Cows, pigs, chicken, turkeys, fish/shellfish all have hearts. :greenie:

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-26-2013, 01:02 AM
I am not a huge fan of foie gras, plus they way they make it is rather ethically questionable.

DK
04-26-2013, 01:05 AM
I actually had heart for the first time last week. Me and J were in some random Izakaya eating all this tasty shit and they had a bunch of comedy items on the menu like pork heart, diaphragm, intestines etc so I said we should try heart for a laugh. Neither of us were particularly thrilled with the idea but why the fuck not. It wasn't anywhere near as bad as I thought it would be, it tasted kind of nice, but the texture was a bit fucked up so I probably wouldn't eat it again. Texture bothers me way more about food than the taste does.

Pike
04-26-2013, 01:24 AM

well this is why I started to specify beef, pork, ham, etc. but then I couldn't think of what to call chicken and turkey...

NorthernChaosGod
04-26-2013, 01:33 AM
How else do you gain the animal's power?

Formalhaut
04-26-2013, 01:53 AM
Well, Dany ate a raw horse's heart, and sickness be damned she did well and ended up because very powerful!

Miriel
04-26-2013, 01:53 AM

well this is why I started to specify beef, pork, ham, etc. but then I couldn't think of what to call chicken and turkey...

But beef is just meat that comes from a cow! Liver/heart/intestines/etc are all part of the beef. Same for pork. It's just meat from a pig.

Shauna
04-26-2013, 09:54 AM
I was a bit put off at first, then I thought about it, and realised that the heart was just another muscle from an animal. I eat animal muscle pretty frequently. S'probably not that much different eating heart. It's crazy but I never really put much thought into what the meats I eat actually were until my friend pointed out to me that it's cooked animal muscle. xD

I'm not a fan of liver or kidney though. :{

Pike
04-26-2013, 10:17 AM

But beef is just meat that comes from a cow! Liver/heart/intestines/etc are all part of the beef. Same for pork. It's just meat from a pig.

Well then don't listen to me because I don't know anything about food! xD

Madame Adequate
04-26-2013, 01:19 PM
Yeah but there's obviously a difference between eating beef and eating a freaking cow's heart :p

Night Fury
04-26-2013, 06:38 PM
My nana and other grandparents eat liver, kidney and heart quite a lot. But then I think it's definitely a war-time thing too. My Nana's a country gal and during the war if they killed an animal for foods, you bet they're gonna eat all of it. My Nana also has a thing about buying tinned foods in bulk like, some war things stick. :3

She'll still regularly eat offal so I've grown up surrounded by it. I've never eaten it though, I'm quite funny with meat anyway. I like it cooked in certain ways and sometimes I just don't want it. I've never tried offal I don't think I could.

I Took the Red Pill
04-26-2013, 06:41 PM
The texture is a bit odd but yeah, I enjoy eating chicken hearts. More than I enjoy liver and kidney, anyways.

Miriel
04-26-2013, 08:01 PM
Yeah but there's obviously a difference between eating beef and eating a freaking cow's heart :p

I think you guys are confusing the word STEAK for BEEF. Beef literally means any meat that comes from a bovine. Cow heart is beef.

Now go eat some heart, dammit!

Jinx
04-26-2013, 08:56 PM
Pig's dong is still pork

etc

Pike
04-26-2013, 09:16 PM
okay, okay, I wrote a dumb sentence which implied that I didn't know what "pork" or "beef" was, we can stop talking about it and instead go back to talking about how I'm not going to eat heart okay? :p

FYI I was well aware when I was writing my post that things like hearts and offal "counted", I just didn't know how to better phrase it. Lesson learned I guess.

Breine
04-28-2013, 03:09 PM
Many times. Pig's heart stuffed with parsley tastes wonderful. The sauce you can make from it is fantastic too. It's been ages since I've had it, though. I've been a vegetarian for three years now. Plus, it's not exactly something you get often. I do remember there being quite a lot of hearts getting shipped out when I used to work at a slaughterhouse, though. Maybe they're a somewhat big thing after all. Idk.

Yerushalmi
04-28-2013, 04:10 PM
I've eaten chicken hearts AND chicken spleens. In the same dish, even.

Right before my wife and I left for our honeymoon, I traumatized her by chasing her around with a chicken heart from what I was eating and going "bup-bup, bup-bup".

Madame Adequate
04-28-2013, 04:35 PM

I think you guys are confusing the word STEAK for BEEF. Beef literally means any meat that comes from a bovine. Cow heart is beef.

Now go eat some heart, dammit!

Yeah but there's obviously a difference between eating beef and eating a freaking cow's heart (https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/-T7gvrLramr0/TXtcIcHxTtI/AAAAAAAAA6I/N6R320-XcDs/s1600/SAM_0795.JPG)!

Jinx
04-28-2013, 05:58 PM
In all honesty, I'd give it a try if someone else was paying/cooking.

KH-Cloudy
04-28-2013, 06:00 PM
Right before my wife and I left for our honeymoon, I traumatized her by chasing her around with a chicken heart from what I was eating and going "bup-bup, bup-bup".
:screwy:

Yerushalmi
04-28-2013, 07:00 PM

:D Who's more lunatic, the lunatic or the one who married the lunatic?

KH-Cloudy
04-28-2013, 07:56 PM

:D Who's more lunatic, the lunatic or the one who married the lunatic?

:colbert:

Loony BoB
04-29-2013, 03:21 PM
I would probably have to have a look at it first. I can't see any images in this thread, but things like the amount of blood and the texture of the food mean a lot to me. If it just looked like any other meat I would probably try it. It would be a little weird at first, I imagine, but if I can eat steak and kidney pie (which if done right is amazing) then I don't see why I couldn't eat other various organs and muscles if they were prepared right and decently tasty.

Yerushalmi
04-29-2013, 03:29 PM
It looks like any other meat, only, well, heart-shaped.

Loony BoB
04-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Yeah, but a heart is naturally more complex than your average muscle. I imagine there's a bit more to it? Dan's already mentioned that the texture put him off.

Slothy
04-29-2013, 03:45 PM
I generally avoid organ meats since I have the option. If I were surviving out in the woods though I'd undoubtedly develop a taste for things like heart and liver though. Nutritionally speaking, stuff like liver is some of the best meat you could be eating from an animal.

Yerushalmi
04-29-2013, 08:04 PM
I prefer piano meats myself, but if an organ is all that's available I'm fine with it.

NorthernChaosGod
04-30-2013, 03:46 AM
I would probably have to have a look at it first. I can't see any images in this thread, but things like the amount of blood and the texture of the food mean a lot to me. If it just looked like any other meat I would probably try it. It would be a little weird at first, I imagine, but if I can eat steak and kidney pie (which if done right is amazing) then I don't see why I couldn't eat other various organs and muscles if they were prepared right and decently tasty.

That's just myoglobin, bro, not blood. :p