PDA

View Full Version : Wasting food

Rantz
04-26-2013, 01:54 PM
IS A TERRIBLE THING TO DO AND YOU SHOULDN'T DO IT.

It is one of my pet peeves or whatever you'd call it. Do you throw away a lot of food? Food that's genuinely gone bad (not just imaginary bad) is exempt.

Pike
04-26-2013, 04:16 PM
I HATE DOING THIS

Even if I am full I will do my best to eat everything off of my plate. It's probably not good for me, seeing as I have a small stomach.

Night Fury
04-26-2013, 05:03 PM
Rantz, I'm not even joking whenever I have to throw away some food I picture your face in my mind and how disappointed you'd be in me!

I think I'm quite bad at wasting food. It's something I'm trying much harder not to do, mostly I'm that person that forgets she bought those strawberries until one day she finds them a bit... green in the fridge. :( It's hard when you buy for one person as you're responsible for eating it all. When I'm at home (parents) though, no food gets wasted because we have 4 rottweilers okay.

Shauna
04-26-2013, 06:16 PM
I try to avoid wasting food. Sometimes food expiry just creeps up on you, though. :(

Mr Shauna can be pretty awful for it. He bought some sandwich meat and made one sandwich with it, and the rest of it sat in the fridge for about 2 months. I was eating other leftovers for lunches at that point so I couldn't help the effort to eat it. >:{

Unbreakable Will
04-26-2013, 06:57 PM
I do my best to avoid wasting food because I've personally been in situations where a good meal is hard to come by, unfortunately it's human nature to waste when the supply is plentiful I just wish everyone would keep it in mind that there are others who would find their wastefulness to be a travesty.

:|

NorthernChaosGod
04-27-2013, 11:00 PM
I always eat everything that I've either ordered or served myself because I hate being wasteful.

chionos
04-27-2013, 11:44 PM
It's really rough with kids because their metabolisms are all over the place. Full-on meals just don't work. So much is wasted. The answer to not wasting food is not to just eat everything (that's an especially terrible thing to teach kids), but to portion less in the first place.

I despise wastefulness (and not just food). I think it's probably somewhere beyond pet peeve level. I'm kind of mean about it sometimes.

Even food that's kind of gone bad (stale cereal, partially rotten bananas, etc.) can be useful. My oldest daughter is super crafty and uses stale cereal, spilled noodles, ruined rice, etc. in her crafts and "experiments."

Fruit & vegetables that have gone bad still make good smoothies.

Sephex
04-27-2013, 11:56 PM
**** the police.

http://transitionvoice.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/08/Gallagher-smashing-melon-550x378.jpg

Iceglow
04-28-2013, 02:26 AM
Aside from milk and the occasional loaf I only ever buy what I can consume, milk needs to be super fresh for me I cannot stand it on the verge of turning sour. I never throw good food away. I learnt the hard way the cost of that.

Shorty
04-28-2013, 02:44 AM
I generally don't waste food unless I really, really don't like whatever it is I've made or ordered.

KH-Cloudy
04-28-2013, 05:13 AM
I try my best to finish everything off my plate. It's been ingrained into me to eat absolutely everything on my plate. However, if I do get really full, I'll eat the foods that are worth more and leave the less valued food scrap.

Shiny
04-28-2013, 05:45 AM
Why would I throw away my food when I have dogs and a father? If I won't eat I know at least one of them will, or I just put it in the refrigerator to save for another time.

The only time I throw things away if it's burned or it's expired.

Also it is a huge pet peeve of mind when people say, "people are starving in Africa so don't waste food"

Firstly, people are starving here too not just Africa. Secondly, people starve in Africa because of a food distribution problem not because I am throwing away this burnt up quesadilla. Thirdly, this one quesadilla being thrown away is not going to help or hurt any of those starving people. Fourthly, smurf off.

Denmark
04-28-2013, 06:14 AM
if i don't finish what i took/made for myself, i have leftovers, AKA the food of the gods

DK
04-28-2013, 07:05 AM
Yep I try to waste as little as possible. I will always find a way to eat or use something that's left over. Not out of any great desire to THINK OF THE STARVING PEOPLE, more just a general "I paid for this so it's getting eaten." Then again I'm generally fine on that side of things anyway because I'm not someone that likes doing a monthly shop and shoving things in the freezer, I try as much as possible to shop often and eat fresh. I'm actually not opposed to going to a market or butchers or whatever every day rather than dealing with some shitty lump of frozen stuff. So I generally only buy what I need in the immediate future.

But yeah if i'm gonna chuck something it's either 'cause it's off or I really hate it.

Iceglow
04-28-2013, 10:01 AM
as a side note how often would you lot go grocery shopping I try and go once - twice a week and select only what I can eat in the next few days. This pattern allows me to be flexible in what I want because I only have to think of 4 - 5 days food maximum this is a great planner for how much I'll need/what to buy.

Pike
04-28-2013, 10:30 AM
as a side note how often would you lot go grocery shopping I try and go once - twice a week and select only what I can eat in the next few days. This pattern allows me to be flexible in what I want because I only have to think of 4 - 5 days food maximum this is a great planner for how much I'll need/what to buy.

Yeah I go once or twice a week. Everything goes into the fridge, even stuff that's not supposed to. Any type of bread goes straight into the fridge. I know that dries it out or whatever, but otherwise I simply will not eat it fast enough.

Pheesh
04-28-2013, 11:51 AM
I tend to forget I bought something until it is too late, but when I actually cook food I will finish everything that I made.

Mirage
04-28-2013, 12:12 PM
I always eat everything that I've either ordered or served myself because I hate being wasteful.

This. If someone else serves me way too much food, the blood is on their hands when I don't eat up, not mine.

Iceglow
04-28-2013, 01:00 PM
that reminds me of the first time I went to the local greasy spoon for a fry up on a sunday morning. I actually couldn't physically eat all that food. I genuinely wondered if they had the same menu as a children's meal.

Pike
04-28-2013, 01:02 PM
When I went to Norn Iron and had a fry there I was completely stuffed about halfway through the meal and I finished it anyway because it was just that amazing.

I finished the chocolate milkshake too.

Madame Adequate
04-28-2013, 01:21 PM
Sometimes I take food I actually want to eat, that is in perfectly edible condition, and I throw it out.

Rantz
04-28-2013, 01:37 PM
Sometimes I take food I actually want to eat, that is in perfectly edible condition, and I throw it out.

:nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonono: :nonononononononono

Pike
04-28-2013, 01:46 PM

Get out.

Calliope
04-28-2013, 01:50 PM
I discard food routinely and without apology. If I decide it's unfit to be eaten, it is not getting eaten.

Breine
04-28-2013, 03:04 PM
Wasting food is stupid. I've considered going dumpster diving at some supermarkets many times now. I think I'll go soon with a friend of mine. You can find all sorts of greatness and save money in the process too.

Pike
04-28-2013, 03:45 PM
I worked at the food court in Target for a while and I hated it because every night you had to throw all the food away

EVERY NIGHT, FRESHBAKED COOKIES GOT TRASHED

It was so sad :crying:

Rantz
04-28-2013, 03:58 PM
I worked at the food court in Target for a while and I hated it because every night you had to throw all the food away

Girl you need another amendment making this a felony.

Jinx
04-28-2013, 06:09 PM
Yeah, Steve is actually talking sense. I also go to the store 2-3 times a week. It really cuts down on what you waste.

Denmark
04-28-2013, 06:58 PM

Girl you need another amendment making this a felony.

i think we just need to redefine what qualifies as "the trash"

fresh baked cookies can go into my belly pls

Rantz
04-28-2013, 08:23 PM
I wonder if you can volunteer as trashcan at Target?

fire_of_avalon
04-28-2013, 11:06 PM
Rantz, I'm not even joking whenever I have to throw away some food I picture your face in my mind and how disappointed you'd be in me!

I think I'm quite bad at wasting food. It's something I'm trying much harder not to do, mostly I'm that person that forgets she bought those strawberries until one day she finds them a bit... green in the fridge. :( It's hard when you buy for one person as you're responsible for eating it all. When I'm at home (parents) though, no food gets wasted because we have 4 rottweilers okay.
I am like this too, because maybe I want strawberries or grapes or something for a couple of days but then I get busy and just eat something at work for a few days BUT EVERYTHING IS NOW ROTTEN BECUASE smurf YOU, MEGAN.

It's really rough with kids because their metabolisms are all over the place. Full-on meals just don't work. So much is wasted. The answer to not wasting food is not to just eat everything (that's an especially terrible thing to teach kids), but to portion less in the first place.

I despise wastefulness (and not just food). I think it's probably somewhere beyond pet peeve level. I'm kind of mean about it sometimes.

Even food that's kind of gone bad (stale cereal, partially rotten bananas, etc.) can be useful. My oldest daughter is super crafty and uses stale cereal, spilled noodles, ruined rice, etc. in her crafts and "experiments."

Fruit & vegetables that have gone bad still make good smoothies.
You should run a help-line for people like me so I can call you when I'm cleaning out the refrigerator once a week and scream at me. Also, brown bananas = the best banana bread in the universe.

This is a great idea, if/when I live closer to town. But I probably would just start eating steak every day.

This bothers me a lot because tons and tons of restaurants do this when all that cooked food could be useful to somebody. It upsets me. Which is why I better eat my goddamn strawberries.

Shiny
04-28-2013, 11:55 PM

Why? I would've taken them all home especially if they were chocolate chip cookies.

Someone I know who works at Panera Bread would take all the extra bagels and bring them to school the next day. People were so friggin' happy in early morning Trigonometry class to get those french toast bagels lemme tell you.

The worse travesties I've seen with people throwing things away is on film sets. The catering service always makes too much even for large crews. They baked about six cakes and ended up throwing away most of them. A lot of really good food got thrown away and what pissed me off the most if that they were inside a church right next to a shelter. There were plenty of people nearby who would have loved to get that food. I even asked the dude if I can take it all and give it to them myself and he was like, "no no, we throw away".

Jinx
04-29-2013, 12:22 AM
A lot of restaurants use it as waste yield so they know how much to make the next week/day/month.

You can get in a LOT of trouble if the restaurant isn't okay with you taking it. Some are. Most aren't. One restaurant I worked at was fine if you took the leftovers of the daily special home (it only popped up once a week, so they couldn't reserve it the next day). And they counted BEFORE the servers attacked it. The other restaurant I worked at had a no-tolerance policy for such a thing. It really depends on the place.

I'm sorry, but risking my job to enjoy the last few pieces of a pie isn't worth it.

Pike
04-30-2013, 01:27 AM

Why? I would've taken them all home especially if they were chocolate chip cookies.

Counts as theft. I would've been in big trouble if I'd been caught.

...granted, that didn't stop me from doing it on occasion anyway :greenie:

Night Fury
04-30-2013, 11:33 AM
I had to throw away courgette this morning. So much mould :( I'm sorry Dad.

Pike
04-30-2013, 11:34 AM
Oh man I hate when mold ruins something that would otherwise have been amazing :( RIP all the bread products I've thrown away through the years.

Rantz
04-30-2013, 11:47 AM
I'll reiterate that throwing away food that has actually gone bad is still unfortunate for all the wasted promise, but it doesn't provoke my wrath like throwing away freshly baked cookies does.

Loony BoB
04-30-2013, 04:17 PM
We have a bad habit in our flat for forgetting about some kind of veg or fruit long enough that it goes bad. Particularly lettuce heads which are cheaper than the bags, last longer, but still never get 100% used. We're getting a lot better at predicting what we will actually eat over time, though, and what will probably end up sitting around going bad. At the moment, four pears and perhaps some grapes tends to be a good choice. Most of the rest of our food lasts long enough to not go bad.

Pike
04-30-2013, 07:34 PM
Fresh berries are the worst, I love them but they last like 36 hours max.

chionos
04-30-2013, 10:30 PM
The best foods are generally the ones that spoil the fastest. I guess nuts are the main exception. And that's why nuts are the best. ;)

Jinx
04-30-2013, 10:34 PM
The best foods are generally the ones that spoil the fastest. I guess nuts are the main exception. And that's why nuts are the best. ;)

I like to eat nuts.

chionos
04-30-2013, 10:57 PM

I like to eat nuts.

Salty, coated, au natural?

There's all different kinds of nuts. I know Laddy likes his covered in chocolate.

Jinx
04-30-2013, 11:10 PM
I like my salted so I can suck on them first.

chionos
04-30-2013, 11:34 PM
I like my salted so I can suck on them first.

Oh, now that's just too far. :p

Depression Moon
05-01-2013, 01:03 AM
I try to avoid wasting for as much as I can, but sometimes I pick something awful at the school caf just to try it out. Last semester I ate it regardless of how bad it was, now I've thrown those disgusting things to the trash line a few times. Now, I'll just play it safe and stick to the usual stuff or the new stuff that is pretty safe to bet on the taste.

Depression Moon
05-01-2013, 01:24 AM

They didn't let employees take it home

Most places do.

Jinx
05-01-2013, 12:14 PM

They didn't let employees take it home

Most places do.

Actually a lot of places don't.

Also, the more I think about it, the more this thread on EoFF shocks me. How do you fatties WASTE food?

Aulayna
05-02-2013, 12:41 AM
I go shopping every night after work and buy food for dinner for that night.

I only really throw stuff out once it's gone off. Which happens a lot with fruit tbh - can never get through it quick enough.