PDA

View Full Version : New Game: Final Fantasy Tactics S

nirojan
04-26-2013, 03:47 PM

Square Enix revealed that it is working on a mobile Final Fantasy title by unveiling a Japanese language website for a game called Final Fantasy Tactics S.

The website reveals that the game will see a release on Mobage, a social network games publisher and portal, which is available for smartphone users in North America, China and Japan. According to the website, Final Fantasy Tactics S will support both iOS and Android-based devices.

Square Enix to release Final Fantasy Tactics S on Mobage | Polygon (http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/26/4268670/square-enix-to-release-final-fantasy-tactics-s-on-mobage)

Skyblade
04-26-2013, 05:15 PM
[Insert curse words here]

There are two perfectly good handheld systems which this could come out on, and they're shoving it on to cell phones.

I really wish they'd stop making cell phone games. A cell phone isn't really a good gaming platform.

kotora
04-26-2013, 08:26 PM
I'd rather play it on my phone than on a shitty PSVita that I wouldn't even be able to fit in my pocket, not to mention having to pay several hundreds extra for a dedicated gaming device, while phones could handle the games just as well, is stupid. It also makes sense for the developer, because they get to reach a much larger market. Dedicated handheld systems are a dying breed. They're redundant.

Elpizo
04-26-2013, 08:35 PM
They're also better to play games on because they have this lovely thing called buttons. SE just likes to make cellphone games because they require no effort for a quick buck (see ATB).

Formalhaut
04-26-2013, 09:25 PM
Ugh. Cell phones. :mad2:

Skyblade
04-26-2013, 10:39 PM
They're also better to play games on because they have this lovely thing called buttons. SE just likes to make cellphone games because they require no effort for a quick buck (see ATB).

Yep, pretty much. Take a look at any of SE's cellphone games and you'll see just how lackluster they are. Even on the ones which are good games (Secret of Mana, for example), the control system is absolutely lousy. And pretty much every non-port has been mediocre at best. And I doubt this one will raise the bar any.

Granted, the DS and Vita both use touchscreens, but very few are the games which use them as a primary control system, let alone a standalone control system. Control setup alone makes either system far superior for gaming than any cellphone out there. Combine in their extra utilities, and they are certainly not "redundant".

As to the game itself, well, I almost feel sorry for the hardcore FFT fans out there. The website and logo alone should be enough to crush the hopes of anyone who wants a "dark and serious" take on the series.

DMKA
04-27-2013, 01:39 AM
Didn't I just see a thread asking what happened to the Tactics series? Now that a new one is announced all I see are angry posts about the platform it's going to be on. :p

Not that I disagree; not a fan of Smartphone gaming. Would much rather play on a device with actually buttons and a d-pad.

Skyblade
04-27-2013, 02:54 AM
Didn't I just see a thread asking what happened to the Tactics series? Now that a new one is announced all I see are angry posts about the platform it's going to be on. :p

Not that I disagree; not a fan of Smartphone gaming. Would much rather play on a device with actually buttons and a d-pad.

That thread was about a (supposed) decline in quality and loss of direction for the series, so this game actually would fit in perfectly.

DMKA
04-27-2013, 03:03 AM
That thread was about a (supposed) decline in quality and loss of direction for the series, so this game actually would fit in perfectly.
So now were judging the quality of games before anything aside of their title and platform is revealed?

Right.

Skyblade
04-27-2013, 03:44 AM
So now were judging the quality of games before anything aside of their title and platform is revealed?

Right.

Certainly.

I hate the platform, and I have yet to see any serious game that works well on it. Square Enix's cell phone releases have only served to confirm this belief so far.

Also, there are some images on the website, including the logo. Since most of the complaints (especially those in that thread) were that the original game's serious nature was lost in FFTA and FFTA2, we can use our eyes and see what's being shown. The logo itself is not hugely promising, showing an extremely cartoony representation of the character races from the FFTA and FFTA2 worlds. And the character models on the website are also drawn from the style of the later games, rather than the original. Since art style is usually meant to reinforce a game's themes and aesthetics, it is thus a reasonable conclusion that this game will be much more in line with the later games than the original.

We judge what we see. So far, the evidence indicates that this game will get as much, or more, criticism from those who made that thread than FFTA and FFTA2 did.

chionos
04-27-2013, 06:41 AM
I would really enjoy a return to the original design/style/combat/world*/characters/etc.

A true FFT2.

If they're just going to stick to the Advanced flavoring, then I guess I should stop hoping, because it's just not the same thing at all. I'm exaggerating a bit, but you know what I mean.

*IT'S NOT THE SAME SO HUSH.

Skyblade
04-27-2013, 06:45 AM
I would really enjoy a return to the original design/style/combat/world*/characters/etc.

A true FFT2.

If they're just going to stick to the Advanced flavoring, then I guess I should stop hoping, because it's just not the same thing at all. I'm exaggerating a bit, but you know what I mean.

*IT'S NOT THE SAME SO HUSH.

You're right, it's not the same. It's better.

chionos
04-27-2013, 06:52 AM
I thought maybe you didn't understand the word, so:

adjective

1 comparative of GOOD and WELL.

of a more excellent or effective type or quality:hoping for better weather the new facilities were far better I’m better at algebra than Alice
more appropriate, advantageous, or well advised:there couldn’t be a better time to start this job it might be better to borrow the money

2 [predic.] partly or fully recovered from illness, injury, or mental stress; less unwell:she’s much better today his leg was getting better we’ll feel a lot better after a decent night’s sleep

adverb

comparative of WELL.

more excellently or effectively:Johnny could do better if he tried instruments are generally better made these days
to a greater degree; more:I liked it better when we lived in the country you may find alternatives that suit you better
more suitably, appropriately, or usefully:the money could be better spent on more urgent cases

noun

1 the better one; that which is better:the Natural History Museum book is by far the better of the two a change for the better

2 (one's betters) chiefly dated or humorous one’s superiors in social class or ability:amusing themselves by imitating their betters

verb
[with object]

improve on or surpass (an existing or previous level or achievement):bettering his previous time by ten minutes
make (something) better; improve:his ideas for bettering the working conditions
(better oneself) achieve a better social position or status:the residents are mostly welfare mothers who have bettered themselves
overcome or defeat (someone):she bettered him at archery

maybee
04-27-2013, 10:19 AM
I thought that Square-Enix was done with Cellphone games ?

What ?

DMKA
04-27-2013, 02:29 PM
Certainly.

Well then...I'm certainly glad I don't live in your world, as I'd be pretty miserable as a gamer. To each his own though. :p

Skyblade
04-27-2013, 03:23 PM
Certainly.

Well then...I'm certainly glad I don't live in your world, as I'd be pretty miserable as a gamer. To each his own though. :p

Nah, there are tons of great games coming out this year, more than I can finish

I'd be miserable if I was only gaming on a cell phone, but show me a gamer for whom that is not true.

Gamblet
04-27-2013, 07:39 PM
Final Fantasy III is nice on Android, but I think a Tactics game will cramp up my thumb.

CimminyCricket
04-28-2013, 04:27 PM
I'm going to get it, no doubt.

Mirage
04-29-2013, 03:50 PM
I thought that Square-Enix was done with Cellphone games ?

What ?

Why would they be done with cellphone games?

Loony BoB
04-29-2013, 04:33 PM
I think it was social games that they said they were cutting back on, not mobile games. I think their mobile game division is making a tidy profit. Would have to double check, I could have it wrong...

Roogle
04-29-2013, 08:46 PM

A true FFT2.

I was thinking the same thing. You can tell that it will have the aesthetics of the new games because of the logo. I want a game about humans.

CimminyCricket
04-29-2013, 10:04 PM

A true FFT2.

I was thinking the same thing. You can tell that it will have the aesthetics of the new games because of the logo. I want a game about humans.

Definitely more humans, please.

VeloZer0
04-29-2013, 11:42 PM
I think most of my reservations about what we know so far have already been brought up. On the plus side since I have no expectations if it is awesome then I will be pleasantly surprised rather than let down if it sucks.

Greatermaximus
05-04-2013, 09:12 AM
If you've watched Ghost in the Shell, why not wait until we have cyberbrains and/or something similar? I have been doing patent research and it says to claim an invention. You can't claim the idea.

Digitalcode/telekineses is becoming to commonplace imo.

Del Murder
05-04-2013, 06:06 PM
The tactics-style games may lend themselves better to touch controls than the main RPG series or action games like Secret of Mana. Still, I wish this was for 3DS instead of phones. I'd rather use my phone for administrative tasks and my gaming devices for gaming. I'll wait until more info comes out on this before I judge it. If it's anything like ATB (I can see it now: 'unlock summoner job class for only $3.99!') I will lose all hope for this series ever getting a serious revival.