PDA

View Full Version : Survival

Slothy
04-26-2013, 05:24 PM
The world's ending. We all know it. We've seen the news, we watch the Walking Dead, and the guy who looks like he hasn't showered in a month yells it at me when I walk to the bank.

So faced with the inevitability of our own destruction there's only one question: are you prepared?

What survival skills do you have that are going to carry you through to the other side of the apocalypse? Know how to shoot a gun? Dress a wound? Scavenge for food? Clean an animal? Start a fire? Went camping with your family a few times and know how to read the directions for setting up the tent? What say you all?

Me, I've watched every episode of Survivorman and married a woman that already knows a surprising amount about how to survive in the wilderness. I also have an assortment of knives, fire starters, and I'm not that squeamish. Unless a spider comes at me anyway, then I run screaming like a little girl. I would not last in the Australian outback.

Night Fury
04-26-2013, 05:27 PM
I would probably be one of the first people to die. I know nothing. :lol:

Chris
04-26-2013, 05:28 PM
I use the same skills as I use now. I'm in pretty good shape and I also have a couple of medals in junior wrestling, so come at me bro! Also, I can use this pretty mug of mine to seduce strict millitant leaders.

Pumpkin
04-26-2013, 05:29 PM
I would not survive.

Aulayna
04-26-2013, 05:43 PM
I don't really know any, and living in the middle of a city I imagine I'd hit the dust preeeeetty quickly :(

Madame Adequate
04-26-2013, 05:45 PM
Yeah I doubt I'd make it very far, unless it was zombies, because holy shit am I ready to deal with zombies. (I would be eaten within ten minutes)

Slothy
04-26-2013, 05:50 PM
Yeah I doubt I'd make it very far, unless it was zombies, because holy shit am I ready to deal with zombies. (I would be eaten within ten minutes)

At least that's longer than the zombie who ate you. :D

Leeza
04-26-2013, 05:57 PM
I thought that I would have been pretty well prepared because I was raised to be prepared. However, after watching "The Road" with Viggo Mortensen I now think differently. There are just too many crazies out there who love an unpoliced countryside. You'll need a lot of guns and know how to shoot them, which I don't. However, zombies would be no problem. :)

Psychotic
04-26-2013, 06:10 PM
I imagine I would be raped and murdered fairly quickly in a post-apocalyptic society.

If it was just me in the wilderness, well, I don't have the first fucking clue. I am intelligent and resourceful but that's not going to be enough to see me through. I'd probably die in that scenario too.

Pike
04-26-2013, 06:11 PM
Nope, I'd be dead.

Shauna
04-26-2013, 06:12 PM
I think I'd join the ranks of those who wouldn't last long. xD

Imagine a buncha nerds on a Final Fantasy forum imagining they won't seriously survive in some kind of apocalypse. :3

Chris
04-26-2013, 06:15 PM
http://www.comicartcollective.com/artImages/954AC1EE-3048-77F0-11EBE2F3342410CD.jpg

Jinx
04-26-2013, 06:16 PM
The whole point of it being the end of the world is that it's the END.

Ain't no one survin'.

Night Fury
04-26-2013, 06:19 PM
Anyway Vivi, you'll definitely survive because you'll be on MARS remember? You're just gonna be looking down laughing like a crazy man all "I TOLD YOOOOOOU!"

Obviously...

Slothy
04-26-2013, 06:22 PM
That does sound awesome. Hopefully the terraforming will be complete and we'll have transplanted some animal species to the red planet in time. I don't think life would be worth living without some steak or a decent cheeseburger.

I'm also slightly disappointed by the lack of can do attitude in this thread. We're gamers! We can do anything*!

*That the developers allow us to.

Unbreakable Will
04-26-2013, 06:26 PM
I'd survive the shit out of the apocalypse...
...if cheat codes are provided for me. :shobon:

Burtsplurt
04-26-2013, 10:48 PM
I once bought a book by Ray Mears called Essential Bushcraft with the tagline "A handbook of survival skills from around the world." I haven't read it, but I keep it handy for just such an eventuality.

I'm slim, which I'm never sure is a help or hindrance? Advantage: I can run; disadvantage: can't survive off my own fat reserves for months.

Laddy
04-26-2013, 11:18 PM
I'd claim my spot on the Throne of Bhaal as planned.

Shiny
04-26-2013, 11:28 PM
My heart is black and fearless, but I would still die as would everyone else. Only insects would survive most likely.

NorthernChaosGod
04-27-2013, 12:22 AM
I know how to fish, shoot (would probably be rubbish at hunting though), start a fire, reinforce my house (in the case of zombies), as well as basic first aid stuffs. I could probably survive for a while. :p

I'm also slightly disappointed by the lack of can do attitude in this thread. We're gamers! We can do anything*!

*That the developers allow us to.

The game's code is just a suggestion of how to play. :D

Shlup
04-27-2013, 01:32 AM
I'm not really interested in surviving any kind of apocalypse. I don't do cold showers.

Pike
04-27-2013, 01:35 AM
I'd claim my spot on the Throne of Bhaal as planned.

Laddy knows how to survive.

He's gonna win Survivor someday.

Laddy
04-27-2013, 01:43 AM
One day. One day.

Shorty
04-27-2013, 04:54 AM
I have enough of a will to live that I'd last as long as I could and go down swingin'. If the apocalypse starts while I'm at home, I'm good to go because we have military food stores and water and all of the guns and knives and ammo you could ever hope for. Thank god for conservative mormons. Do not come knocking, you will be turned away or turned into food.

If it started anywhere else, I'm certain the only chance I'd have is if I stayed out of sight during the day and came out to rob houses/stores/cars/whatever at night. I've had some survival training thanks to classes in school and been camping, but other than that I'd have to wing it!

I thought that I would have been pretty well prepared because I was raised to be prepared. However, after watching "The Road" with Viggo Mortensen I now think differently. There are just too many crazies out there who love an unpoliced countryside. You'll need a lot of guns and know how to shoot them, which I don't. However, zombies would be no problem. :)

The Road is so great, but it definitely made me more afraid of people than I would be of zombies or whatever D:

Unbreakable Will
04-27-2013, 12:18 PM
or turned into food.
:onoes:

Pheesh
04-27-2013, 12:31 PM
I live in Australia.

Slothy
04-27-2013, 01:13 PM
I have enough of a will to live that I'd last as long as I could and go down swingin'. If the apocalypse starts while I'm at home, I'm good to go because we have military food stores and water and all of the guns and knives and ammo you could ever hope for. Thank god for conservative mormons. Do not come knocking, you will be turned away or turned into food.

Well, I know who my new apocalypse survival buddy is.

I live in Australia.

Judging from the size of your bugs and how many of them will try and kill you I'd say you're already living in the apocalypse.

Iceglow
04-27-2013, 05:30 PM
In terms of man vs wild I know how to fish and I know some edible plants/animals and how to trap and prepare them. However big game hunting might be beyond me unless I got some good practice in with some form of ranged weapon. Though the biggest issue with this is unless 99.9% of humanity is wiped out in the initial onslaught I'm not the biggest or strongest of men and whilst I'm resourceful and social enough that I could probably make things work for me in a post apocalyptic society I would be pretty far down the pile which whilst change-able is going to be a lot of hard work of adapting, learning and if necessary fighting my way up the ranks of whatever society raises itself up out of the ashes.

Weapon wise? I live pretty close to a hunting/survival/outdoors store what sells various firearms (I'm not sure if it's anything more dangerous than a pellet/bb gun but they'd be good for practice and with some thought as to where you're aiming you certainly can hunt smaller game with one) and knives along with equipment such as camping/survival supplies and fishing equipment. That would be my first port of call. Whilst some people might suggest using a sword as a weapon frankly you'd be better off with a good knife bound to a strong pole to make a spear of sorts and a hatchet. Axes were often used in medieval times by peasant militias and infantry as an alternative to the sword since they take less skill to use (and steel to make)

If we're talking zombie apocalypse? Depends I live in one of the worlds largest cities... it'd end very badly for me if I didn't get out VERY fast.

Shorty
04-27-2013, 06:44 PM
or turned into food.

We'll be painting "Donner" on our mailbox for good measure.

Unbreakable Will
04-27-2013, 06:59 PM
or turned into food.

You monster! :stare:

Chris
04-27-2013, 07:06 PM
http://i39.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/mhbqmd.jpg

Shorty
04-27-2013, 08:13 PM
That's Walter. We keep him tied up in the front yard.

or turned into food.

You do what you have to in order to survive! I don't make the rules!

the_best_noob
04-27-2013, 11:20 PM
I would survive reasonably well against zombies

If they are slow moving and brainless, hell, just set them on fire and make sure you don't get surrounded. If they are smart and can run, well, then I'll have to think of something on the spot

Unbreakable Will
04-28-2013, 01:36 AM
That's Walter. We keep him tied up in the front yard.

or turned into food.

You do what you have to in order to survive! I don't make the rules!
You do! You make your own rules.
:colbert:
Alright boys and girls, world goes to hell don't trust anything this woman says. SHE WILL EAT YOU!

fire_of_avalon
04-28-2013, 03:09 AM
I'd be okay for a decent amount of time.

Slothy
04-28-2013, 03:10 AM
Maybe she'd eat the rest of you fatties, but she wouldn't eat me. She might need my help cleaning your corpses and preparing the good cuts of meat. :)

On a happier note, I found my multi-tool that I lost about 6 or 7 months back. My survival preparedness has leveled up.

Shorty
04-28-2013, 04:20 AM
Vivi and I would make it. We'd make it.

Goldenboko
04-28-2013, 04:29 AM
My brother has guns? *shrug*

fire_of_avalon
04-28-2013, 10:57 PM
Just for the record, are we talking a breakdown of society apocalypse or a holy trout they used all the nukes apocalypse? The former favors the savvy. The latter favors the luckiest of the savvy. I am not lucky in the least..

Shiny
04-28-2013, 11:48 PM
I was thinking the holy crap, and asteroid is going to drop apocalypse or nuclear holocaust. If it's a meltdown in society I can tell after what happened with Super Storm Sandy that most of us over here are definitely not prepared for such a thing.

Loony BoB
04-29-2013, 02:46 PM
I think people expect the worst in some situations because they watch the worst in such situations on TV and at the cinema. I'm not so much talking about the radiation or the zombies or whatever, but the people themselves. I think the society would in many cases pull through. If it comes down to it and some people flip their trout, I honestly think that they will be outnumbered by the more sensible people in the world. Whenever things get bad on Earth, I see people doing things for their fellow humans, not kicking them while they're down. I think it says a lot that when the Boston bombs went off that people ran to help out, and that when the Boxing Day tsunami struck that the world answered with huge amounts of aid of all kinds.

In the end, things won't be as good as they were before whatever disaster kicked in, but I don't think they will be as bad as they are in the movies where every person you speak to is a psychopathic murderer.

I think so long as I had my health (ie, I wasn't doomed the moment the nukes/asteroid/whatever hit), I'd stand a fighting chance of survival.

Slothy
04-29-2013, 02:48 PM
Way to miss the point of the thread BoB. :colbert:

Loony BoB
04-29-2013, 03:09 PM
Fine, fine.

I've knowledge of fishing, gutting, cooking of raw fish, vegetable gardening, starting fires and staying warm. I've yet to put them to use for a prolonged period of time so I have no idea how I would do should I have to survive in the wild on my own in a hostile environment. If for some reason I was the only person alive in all of Edinburgh after some random virus wiped out the rest of the people, I think I would be able to survive long enough as it's a large city with a lot of resources, including supermarkets and libraries.

If I were actually in the wild, though, it's just really hard to say. It would probably largely come down to what area of the wild I were in. I don't think I'd survive in the desert, but if I were in a forest that had edible fruit, who knows?

What can I say? I'm very analytical about things, and hopefully that would work to my advantage in such a situation by allowing me to keep a cool head and focus on what matters (before inevitable long and of course agonising death kicks in).

Slothy
05-02-2013, 02:11 PM
Signed up for some archery lessons starting Monday.

I've also got the strong urge to put together a survival kit. I actually have a lot of bits for one already, I just don't have them in an actual bag. :erm:

theundeadhero
05-02-2013, 02:23 PM
I have the skills to survive anywhere for as long as it takes.

Pike
05-06-2013, 06:05 PM
What can I say? I'm very analytical about things, and hopefully that would work to my advantage in such a situation by allowing me to keep a cool head and focus on what matters (before inevitable long and of course agonising death kicks in).

BoB is counting on his spreadsheets to save him.

Iceglow
05-07-2013, 01:02 AM

BoB is counting on his spreadsheets to save him.

What if there's no power in the apocalypse, how will BoB survive?

Slothy
05-07-2013, 02:25 AM
Accounting ledgers and graph paper would be my bet.

escobert
05-07-2013, 05:30 AM
Growing up in the forests and woods of Vermont I have learned a variety of skills that would help me in survival!

I can shoot and hunt/fish.
I can build shelter and stuffs like that.
I've worked with domesticated livestock. horses, cows and chickens so I can also deal with those!

I can do other random stuff that I'm sure could be found useful.

Pheesh
05-07-2013, 09:16 AM
Oh, I too have a chicken. Not saying that makes me good at killing a chicken or any better at survival in any way, but just that I'd have a sweet ass chicken companion to follow me around during the apocalypse.

theundeadhero
05-07-2013, 02:46 PM
You probably want to keep your chicken alive so you can eat some eggs.

Pheesh
05-07-2013, 02:53 PM
Oh right... that too I guess >.>

Iceglow
05-09-2013, 01:15 AM
Accounting ledgers and graph paper would be my bet.

I know you're being more serious than Miriel in EoEo but I can't help but think of BoB frantically writing a convoluted IF statement out in a ledger book and then looking up tears in his eyes begging Dannielle to tell him why it doesn't work like it should.