PDA

View Full Version : Where the Wild Things Dine

Unbreakable Will
04-26-2013, 06:52 PM
Wild game dinners are common here in the South, but they may seem odd to others.
Personally I've enjoyed;

Venison Roast
Elk Ribs
Alligator Tail

The elk ribs were my favorite, so good. :D

Have you ever enjoyed any wild meals EoFF?

Pumpkin
04-26-2013, 06:57 PM
I dunno if it counts but my mom's boyfriend used to hunt for deer sometimes and we would make meat pies out of the meat.

Slothy
04-26-2013, 07:00 PM
I have never had wild meat and I want to so bad. I'd love to go out and kill a deer to get all of the (reportedly) delicious meat. Only problem is, even if I had the appropriate licenses and everything, I wouldn't have anywhere to keep the meat after having it butchered since I don't have a deep freeze. Maybe if I ever take up hunting I can offer some meat to friends from the gym.

Unbreakable Will
04-26-2013, 07:02 PM
It's really worth the effort Vivi, venison has a taste all it's own and if prepared correctly it can be jaw droppingly delicious!

Pike
04-26-2013, 07:08 PM
I had a really good bison burger when Jowy came to visit.

Beyond that, though, I prefer tame meat.

Jinx
04-26-2013, 07:10 PM
I've never had any of those, but they all look really good! I'd definitely try them.

Chris
04-26-2013, 07:11 PM
I've tried croc, but not gator! How exciting! I would try all of those!

Unbreakable Will
04-26-2013, 07:37 PM
The venison roast I had was so perfectly done that it practically melted in your mouth, so tender. smurf, now I'm starving, I could eat a 42703.

Slothy
04-26-2013, 08:04 PM
Meat really is the best food group.

fire_of_avalon
04-27-2013, 06:02 AM
I have never had wild meat and I want to so bad. I'd love to go out and kill a deer to get all of the (reportedly) delicious meat. Only problem is, even if I had the appropriate licenses and everything, I wouldn't have anywhere to keep the meat after having it butchered since I don't have a deep freeze. Maybe if I ever take up hunting I can offer some meat to friends from the gym.

You can sell it or give it away. We actually have a few groups down here that do subsistence hunting. Basically a bunch of sport hunters realized they could hunt deer and improve the community by selling it really cheap and giving it away. They get to shoot Bambi, people with food insecurity get to eat, some vegetables and windshields get to live. It's a great thing.

Also, you need to get someone to teach you to hunt. :D

chionos
04-27-2013, 06:33 AM
I'm a Kentucky boy, so I've had a little bit of everything at one time or another. Snake, deer on a regular basis, alligator (lived in LA for a while), squirrel, rabbit, frog, pheasant, wild turkey (while drinking wild turkey!). I don't hunt and none of my immediate family hunt, but just about everyone else around here hunts regularly, and since the majority of them do it for sport, they're always basically just giving the meat away.

Shorty
04-27-2013, 06:56 AM
Venison is undoubtedly the best meat I've ever had, wild or otherwise.

Pheesh
04-27-2013, 07:33 AM
I've had Kangaroo, venison and rabbit. Those are the main game meats, all of them were great.

Unbreakable Will
04-27-2013, 12:07 PM
I've had Kangaroo, venison and rabbit. Those are the main game meats, all of them were great.
Tell me about the kangaroo, I want to try it but sadly I'm not anywhere near Australia. :cry:

Pheesh
04-27-2013, 12:21 PM
It's delicious, has to be cooked rare or medium rare though or else it is chewy to the point of almost inedible. Very similar to venison, has the same gamey flavour, and is even leaner than most game meats.

Pike
04-27-2013, 12:29 PM
One of these days I'll figure out what constitutes a "gamey flavor" - I've always been curious.

Pheesh
04-27-2013, 12:35 PM
What do people mean when they say venison or bison tastes "gamey"? - Yahoo! Answers (http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071109071111AA7r6jO)

Pretty well sums it up.

Pike
04-27-2013, 12:39 PM
Huh. Fascinating!

Slothy
04-27-2013, 01:08 PM
Also, you need to get someone to teach you to hunt. :D

I've wanted to go hunting for some time. Luckily my soon to be brother in law (he's marrying my sister in two months) grew up hunting. I know he hunts things like Partridge. I'm not sure if he ever hunts larger animals like deer. But smaller game probably isn't a bad place to start.

Also, if I ever get to visit my wifes family at the right time of year she has no shortage of uncles and cousins who'd happily teach me how to hunt and trap. It's pretty much a way of life where she's from.

The Summoner of Leviathan
04-27-2013, 05:33 PM
Deer, moose, caribou, and rabbit are all tasty. :D

Formalhaut
04-27-2013, 05:38 PM
I'd love to try game at some point. I definitely wouldn't pass it down!

Jowy
04-27-2013, 09:13 PM
Bison is always a great decision, Pike. I've only had ostrich and venison; both had a very unique and juicy taste to them while remaining remarkably lean and tender.

NorthernChaosGod
04-27-2013, 10:57 PM
I've had rabbit and duck. I want to taste what every animal tastes like though. And gain all their power.

Pheesh
04-28-2013, 02:49 AM
Oh, I've had duck as well obviously, it being my favourite meat. I never remember that it's considered a game meat though because it is one of the fattiest meats and just doesn't have the same feel to it as roo and venison.

DK
04-28-2013, 06:58 AM
Ostrich is hands down the nicest none-generic meat I've ever eaten. I'm not a huge fan of venison personally. I would really like to try alligator, but no idea where the fuck I'd ever manage that. Although out of all of it, I want to try wild boar more than anything.