PDA

View Full Version : Square RPGs With Great Stories/Characters

Forsaken Lover
04-28-2013, 04:44 AM
So I did a topic a while ago about FF vs. other Square RPGs in which I sang Xenogears' praises over any FF I've played. Nevertheless, most of my "top Square games" list is composed of FF games.

This is mainly because I've only really played Final Fantasy games. However I did the same Final Fantasy vs. Other Square RPGs elsewhere and one guy didn't even list a single FF title on his list of Square's best.

I mean seriously, even if you restricted it JUST to the SNES, I'd still pick the Dragon Quest games, Chrono Trigger, Super Mario RPG, E.V.O, Illusion of Gaia, Terranigma, Soulblazer and a bunch of other stuff over the SNES Final Fantasy games.

If you restricted it to the PS1?
Valkyrie Profile, Star Ocean Second Story, Front Mission 3, Parasite Eve, Xenogears, Vagrant Story...

Playstation 2?
Robot Alchemic Drive, Valkyrie Profile Silmeria, Dragon Quest VIII, probably even the Kingdom Hearts games would rank a bit higher for me if you counted the Final Mixes, although the PS2 is the only one where it's even close.

This got me really interested in maybe finally expanding my horizons. I've been meaning to play a lot of these classic JRPGs for ages and maybe now I should get my butt into gear.

So...my question to you all is this.

Which Square RPGs of any generation have the best plots and characters according to you? I probably have a slight preference to SNES or PS1 era but PS2 is fine if any are applicable.

Bolivar
04-28-2013, 07:08 AM
I'm actually real interested in hearing this! I have Radiant Historia sitting in a box never played, but I don't really see it on any top lists or nothing.

Been singing praises of the game redundantly since it was remade but Tactics Ogre. I'm not sure if the Playstation version or SNES fanslation holds up to the PSP remake so I don't know if that helps.

Wolf Kanno
04-28-2013, 07:13 AM
You've already played Xenogears so I would suggest Vagrant Story as a good contender, a nice underappreciated gem by Matsuno. I also will give Dew Prism (Threads of Fate) props that what it may lack as a game, its story is actually pretty good. Rue's story is pretty twisted despite the cutesy nature of the game. Brave Fencer Musashi has a good plot as well, its not serious at all but in terms of humor and good characters the game is an absolute treat. I'll have to think a bit more for other titles.

Skyblade
04-28-2013, 07:14 AM
I'm actually real interested in hearing this! I have Radiant Historia sitting in a box never played, but I don't really see it on any top lists or nothing.

Been singing praises of the game redundantly since it was remade but Tactics Ogre. I'm not sure if the Playstation version or SNES fanslation holds up to the PSP remake so I don't know if that helps.

Radiant Historia is an Atlus game, Bolivar, not Square Enix. It does have a very Chrono feel to it, though. You should definitely play it. It has a unique battle system, an interesting world, solid time manipulation mechanics, and good characters.

Bolivar
04-28-2013, 05:06 PM
Oh, I mean Radiata Stories! Hahaha, I know a few people who've mixed them up. I saw my ex play Radiant Historia and it looked like one of the best RPGs on the DS.

Matthewtheman
04-28-2013, 05:10 PM
Most FFs.

Madame Adequate
04-29-2013, 10:39 AM
Final Fantasy X (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-x/)

Gamblet
04-29-2013, 11:32 AM
Definitely Vagrant Story and Valkyrie Profile. Dragon Quest I & II did not get me hooked up though.

Wolf Kanno
04-29-2013, 07:21 PM
Final Fantasy X (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-x/)

He said games with good stories and characters Milf. :P

Dr. rydrum2112
05-01-2013, 12:10 AM
Oh, I mean Radiata Stories! Hahaha, I know a few people who've mixed them up. I saw my ex play Radiant Historia and it looked like one of the best RPGs on the DS.

great game mechanic, pretty weak plot, and the fact you can only save in one spot & it also advances time makes it frustrating.

Star Oceans def. should be up there, some great characters and good plots.

Jowy
05-01-2013, 12:22 AM
Dragon Quest VIII looked amazing. Never had the chance to personally pick it up though.

Pike
05-01-2013, 10:38 AM
Final Fantasy X.

Super Mario RPG.

(Mario RPG, various FF games, Chrono Trigger and Pokemon are the only JRPGs I've ever played :shobon: My expertise is in strategy games and WRPGs.)

Roogle
05-01-2013, 07:26 PM
Star Oceans def. should be up there, some great characters and good plots.

Yes, I agree. I think the Star Ocean series began with a lot of promise.

I wonder what other games there are that I really liked in the Super Nintendo era? Oh, I was a fan of 7th Saga, a very grind intensive and forgettable game for most people. I liked its music.

Zechs
05-21-2013, 02:57 PM
I would mention SaGa Frontier, or it's sequel. Short character stories, some really interesting, some weak. But overall, they are good. Though I would have thought there to have been more to SaGa Frontier 2...

DarkBahamut
07-05-2013, 08:39 PM
Brave Fencer Musashi was definitely an unforgettable game for me. Wolf Kanno mentioned it and said it well. The game is very humorous, but so original.

Synoptikal
08-01-2013, 01:17 PM
Definitely Star Ocean. Having played all 4, I can say now that the SO series is my favourite RPG series, with SO2 being my favourite game of all-time.

DMKA
08-01-2013, 05:11 PM
-Chrono Trigger
-Every Final Fantasy game after III
-Kingdom Hearts
-Parasite Eve
-Saga Frontier
-Threads of Fate
-Vagrant Story
-Xenogears

Goldenboko
08-02-2013, 03:23 AM
I love Kingdom Hearts, but I wouldn't say it had a good storyline :lol:

Synoptikal
08-02-2013, 07:14 AM
Oh, I would agree. Kingdom Hearts is a brilliant game, but story was NOT one of its defining features. :P

Also, every FF after III? Really? I would say from IV to X and no further.