PDA

View Full Version : Old game involving fishing, chopping down trees, etc.

Loony BoB
04-28-2013, 10:35 AM
I'm trying to recall the name of a game I once played as a kid. It involved fishing, chopping down trees and other such things in order to survive. I'm sure there was hunting involved, too. Unfortunately there is so little I recall about the game beyond that. xD So, with that said, are there any old survive-in-the-wild games out there you can recall?

EDIT: It's just dawned on me that it was a Western game. As in, cowboys, indians, etc.

Pike
04-28-2013, 10:44 AM
For what platform?

Loony BoB
04-28-2013, 10:48 AM
Pretty sure it was for PC, but it wouldn't surprise me if it was for other platforms, too. I'm starting to remember more about it - it was a gold rush kind of game where you could enter mines and try your luck, or do that thing they do in rivers that I forget the name of at the moment. You know. With the plate. That thing. Anyway, there were also wanted signs and bounties, stuff like that. I don't think it was real-time or 3D, so I think it was a case of going screen-by-screen, first-person view style.

This is doing my head in. :(

Pike
04-28-2013, 10:48 AM
By PC do you mean DOS, or something different?

Loony BoB
04-28-2013, 10:55 AM
Oh, I'm almost certain it's a DOS game. I think this predates Windows games. xD It might even be an arcade game, now that I think about it.

Pike
04-28-2013, 10:57 AM
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lost_Dutchman_Mine_%28video_game%29

maybe?

Loony BoB
04-28-2013, 11:02 AM
You are one of the most wonderful people that ever wonderfulled. <3

Pike
04-28-2013, 11:04 AM
:jess: :bow:

the_best_noob
04-28-2013, 04:50 PM
How has nobody suggested Oregon Trail?

Jinx
04-28-2013, 06:11 PM

I came in here to post this.

Shauna
04-28-2013, 06:42 PM
Well, tbf, Pike got the answer before any other suggestions were required. :P

Mirage
04-28-2013, 07:32 PM

Because that's wrong!

KH-Cloudy
04-28-2013, 07:36 PM
I would've posted Oregoin Trail for the heck of it!

Pike
04-28-2013, 09:27 PM

Because a bunch of the things BoB mentioned in his game are not in Oregon Trail

Del Murder
04-29-2013, 05:17 AM
Is it Oregon Trail?

Skyblade
04-29-2013, 05:38 AM
Actually, my first thought was Pilgrim's Quest. Seemed more on the mark than Oregon Trail.

Loony BoB
04-29-2013, 09:35 AM

Because a bunch of the things BoB mentioned in his game are not in Oregon Trail
To be fair, so far through my little playthrough last night, chopping down trees isn't in Lost Dutchman Mine. xD But it's a fun little game to waste an hour or so on and definitely gave me a case of nostalgia.

Shoeberto
04-29-2013, 02:17 PM
Has anyone else said Oregon Trail?

edit: Guess not.

Loony BoB
04-29-2013, 02:33 PM
Since playing this again, and also thinking back a little to Tomb Raider and that Skyrim 'survival' mod... are there any recent games out there at all that cover a full-on wildlife trek survival kind of theme? As in, you have some kind of town to trade in, but otherwise the bulk of the game is spent in the wild, hunting/fishing for food, creating campsites, chopping trees for firewood so you can stay warm at night, things like that... I mean, I know there are games out there like Minecraft / Skyrim that cover various aspects of this, but I can't think of anything out there which covers the full lot. I suppose it would be hard to create a quality story for such a game without cutting off your access to the local town... but I'd love to play a game that focused on exploration, survival, trade and so forth. Just not sure what the end result would be. In Lost Dutchman Mine, it's finding the Lost Dutchman Mine amongst the hundred or so unmapped caves littered around the area. But I suppose you could have a game like this start off as a rescue game where you rescue people who are lost in the wild, perhaps based around the same timeframe (late 19th century) or in a steampunk world... hmm.

Anyway, yeah, I miss games like this if only for the survival / exploration aspects. I didn't care about winning the game but it was a fun little playthrough last night. :)

Mirage
04-29-2013, 03:20 PM
Isn't there a survival mode in Fallout NV? Like in the game from the beginning of.

Shoeberto
04-29-2013, 03:49 PM
Isn't there a survival mode in Fallout NV? Like in the game from the beginning of.
It's called Hardcore or something like that. You have to manage your hunger and thirst, guns jam more easily, etc. The game is littered with campfires and such and you have to craft food from animals. There's even a skill area just called Survival that improves your ability to do all of that even though the normal game doesn't at all require it. I haven't played hardcore but I've heard it's good.

Loony BoB
04-29-2013, 04:07 PM
I'd really enjoy that kind of game if you could remove the constant barrage of enemies you have to face. You know, like a long term journey through uncharted terrain rather than an apocalypse.