PDA

View Full Version : Oh hey, Cid's on Kotaku...

Ouch!
04-29-2013, 07:34 PM
The Final Fantasy Fansite That Changed Thousands Of People's Lives (http://kotaku.com/the-final-fantasy-fansite-that-changed-thousands-of-peo-484432842)

Freya
04-29-2013, 07:37 PM
WHAT?

Psychotic
04-29-2013, 07:55 PM
Oh man this is amazing. I will sit down and read through it all but god damn Azar nice work. I had no idea you were employed by Kotaku too, that is great.

nirojan
04-29-2013, 08:06 PM
EDIT: So it turns out this was already posted :p

Elite Lord Sigma
04-29-2013, 08:14 PM
The article came to my attention from someone in my university's gamer's guild. Huh, small world, isn't it?

Rantz
04-29-2013, 08:18 PM
This is incredibly awesome.

the_best_noob
04-29-2013, 08:21 PM
Awesome.

If someone read this before coming here they'd think BoB was Jesus

Laddy
04-29-2013, 08:21 PM
This is downright amazing. I feel famous!

DMKA
04-29-2013, 08:24 PM
Wow. That was an excellent read, and very sobering. Oh man, all those old front page screenshots, the nostalgia!

Reading that also made me realize that I'd probably be a different person if not for this site. :)

Freya
04-29-2013, 08:30 PM
This site changed a lot of people's lives! Thanks Azar for writing it!

Pike
04-29-2013, 08:33 PM
oh god does this mean the kotaku crowd is going to start coming to the site

DMKA
04-29-2013, 08:34 PM

No offense to Azar, but good god I hope not.

Madame Adequate
04-29-2013, 08:34 PM
Shocked that Fenlon didn't go to Towns for ten million pie charts etc.

e;
If Sean Robinson is Eyes on Final Fantasy's Vito Corleone, Daniel Towns is its Michael.

Murdrage inc.

Pike
04-29-2013, 08:38 PM
Shocked that Fenlon didn't go to Towns for ten million pie charts etc.

e;
If Sean Robinson is Eyes on Final Fantasy's Vito Corleone, Daniel Towns is its Michael.

Murdrage inc.

MURD ARE YOU GOING TO LET THEM GET AWAY WITH THAT??

XxSephirothxX
04-29-2013, 08:42 PM
Oh man this is amazing. I will sit down and read through it all but god damn Azar nice work. I had no idea you were employed by Kotaku too, that is great.
It was just freelance, but I was really glad to be able to get it published on Kotaku. Hope a lot of people read it.

When I came up with the Godfather analogy I just knew it was a terrible thing to do to Del Murder, but I liked it too much to pass it up!

Unbreakable Will
04-29-2013, 08:44 PM
BoB isn't Jesus?

Seriously awesome though. :D

XxSephirothxX
04-29-2013, 08:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/BOs8ym9.gif

Shoeberto
04-29-2013, 08:56 PM
Beautiful article article, Wes. Seriously. It's cool to read the comments and see various people coming out of the woodwork that used to post here. I had briefly brainstormed an idea for an EoFF documentary talking about stuff like this back when Sean first made that thread, but seeing this piece get visibility scratches that itch for me. Very well done.

the_best_noob
04-29-2013, 09:07 PM
BoB isn't Jesus?

Seriously awesome though. :D
Everyone knows Morgan Freeman is Jesus

Pike
04-29-2013, 09:08 PM
It was just freelance, but I was really glad to be able to get it published on Kotaku. Hope a lot of people read it.

When I came up with the Godfather analogy I just knew it was a terrible thing to do to Del Murder, but I liked it too much to pass it up!

In all seriousness this is super cool, great work my friend :thumbsup:

Aulayna
04-29-2013, 09:22 PM
Awesome :o

Raistlin
04-29-2013, 09:26 PM
Azar: I must admit when you first told me about the article, I didn't have very high expectations. But wow, you knocked this one out of the park. From the comments, it looks like people who had never even heard of EoFF were absorbed by your overview of the rise and decline of fansites through EoFF's story. Great job. And I'm glad at least one of my quotes made the cut!

Now I have the urge to play Sick Irony again.

Pike
04-29-2013, 09:27 PM
Threads merged :)

Del Murder
04-29-2013, 09:32 PM
Why was it terrible? Because there was no mention of me and my tragic death when 100 FFL members ambushed me at a tollbooth?

Ouch!
04-29-2013, 09:34 PM
According to Kotaku comments, Danielle, that "blond girl" is reminiscent of Tifa. I wonder what that guy is trying to say...

Denmark
04-29-2013, 09:35 PM
clearly more people need to actually watch the godfather since none of you knew del was sonny :colbert:

but i digress

excellent article, wes.

edczxcvbnm
04-29-2013, 09:37 PM
Awesome job Azar. It was quite a good read and reading through the comments reminds me of some of the old battles on this site. Especially the top one complaining about FFVII when clearly VI is the superior game. Then the argument wages on and people start bringing up other stuff.

Shauna
04-29-2013, 09:44 PM
Nice read. :D EoFF has been through a lot, but here we are. :} Hopefully we'll get through another couple of years.

Del Murder
04-29-2013, 09:45 PM
clearly more people need to actually watch the godfather since none of you knew del was sonny :colbert:
If I'm Sonny and BoB is Michael I guess that makes Psychotic Fredo. :monster:

Great article Azar! Though you did lose some credibility by interviewing Raistlin.

Loony BoB
04-29-2013, 09:49 PM
Why was it terrible? Because there was no mention of me and my tragic death when 100 FFL members ambushed me at a tollbooth?
Not gonna lie, when I found out about this it pushed me over the edge.

Pike
04-29-2013, 09:51 PM
BoB, I like how you just had to include your love of spreadsheets in your interview.

Loony BoB
04-29-2013, 09:59 PM
BoB, I like how you just had to include your love of spreadsheets in your interview.
Actually a three hour interview... Azar chose to throw it in, I guess. It seems some things about me simply MUST be told to the world.

Still. Excel spreadsheets are important.

Miriel
04-29-2013, 10:40 PM
That was a seriously great read. :up:

Goldenboko
04-29-2013, 10:51 PM
Great article, for Kotaku ;P

Old Manus
04-29-2013, 11:22 PM
If Sean Robinson is Eyes on Final Fantasy's Vito Corleone, Daniel Towns is its Michael. Simultaneously the best and worst comparison ever. BoB, I demand an avatar change to a youthful looking Al Pacino.

KH-Cloudy
04-29-2013, 11:25 PM
Nice read :)

Teek
04-29-2013, 11:27 PM
I loved it. And my ego is soothed that I was vaguely referenced in the most vaguest of ways.

Thank you, Azar. You make an old man proud.

Loony BoB
04-29-2013, 11:43 PM
BoB, I demand an avatar change
Did you forget who you are speaking to for a minute, or...?

Cid
04-29-2013, 11:53 PM
I'm pretty happy with how it all turned out. Fantastic job, Azar.

Old Manus
04-29-2013, 11:53 PM
I do remember a Marvin the Martian avatar rocking it for a while at some point in the not too distant past, so it can't be entirely out of the question.

Flying Mullet
04-30-2013, 12:04 AM
Excellent article, Azar. :)

Bunny
04-30-2013, 12:05 AM
Nice work.

Fuzakeru
04-30-2013, 12:31 AM
I teared up a little bit. Life has changed so much since those days. Being an overly hyper, boyfriend obsessed bundle of perversion and exclamation points are days I'd rather not remember too vividly but this site helped me get through some pretty dark and trying times in my life. (Though, I could still do without the crush I had on PG for like a week or two when I first joined. WTH.)

Raistlin
04-30-2013, 12:43 AM
Actually a three hour interview...

My interview lasted about an hour (roughly, as we had to switch from Skype to phone), and at the end I actually apologized to Azar for rambling on for that long. He told me not to worry about it, as he had also interviewed you. I fully understood even before he told me how long that interview was.

EDIT:

(Though, I could still do without the crush I had on PG for like a week or two when I first joined. WTH.)

That may be the most embarrassing thing anyone has ever confessed to on EoFF.

Fuzakeru
04-30-2013, 12:51 AM
(Though, I could still do without the crush I had on PG for like a week or two when I first joined. WTH.)

He was gloomy and mysterious! I couldn't help myself! :( I blame video games.

DMKA
04-30-2013, 12:54 AM

Did he happen to sexz0rz you as a newbie?

Fuzakeru
04-30-2013, 01:00 AM
I couldn't keep track of all the sex0r-assailants and cookie givers from a time long ago. Also, ( just to keep this all circular back around to distract everyone from my embarrassing admittance ) - BoB scared me when I first started. His scary giant-eyed signature made me feel awkward time to time.

escobert
04-30-2013, 01:07 AM
Having been here most of EoFF's life that was pretty interesting to read :D

also I should have been interviewed for my awesomeness of course. Or I could have talked about the devastating impact eoff has had on my life! :p

Parker
04-30-2013, 01:27 AM
This is great. Well done, guys!

johnathan
04-30-2013, 01:29 AM

Hey! Now that's not fair. I've already (somehow) missed this site by a good 16 years. Had it not been for Kotaku, I would have never found you all! Finally! A place that's all about Final Fantasy! :D

Dr Unne
04-30-2013, 01:34 AM
I enjoyed reading this.

Pike
04-30-2013, 01:48 AM

Hey! Now that's not fair. I've already (somehow) missed this site by a good 16 years. Had it not been for Kotaku, I would have never found you all! Finally! A place that's all about Final Fantasy! :D

:jess: don't let me scare you away! Welcome to EoFF!

Rydia of Mist
04-30-2013, 02:17 AM
Man, that brought me back.

Literally.

Calliope
04-30-2013, 02:50 AM
Eeeeeeew!

I'd never heard of that website, but sweet. Thanks for clearing up what the name of the other brother was, too.

Leeza
04-30-2013, 03:11 AM
Well done, Azar. :)

XxSephirothxX
04-30-2013, 03:28 AM
I want to thank everyone who I talked to for the story, including Leeza, who I had a nice phone conversation with, and new member LocoColt, who gave me some great insight about The Final Fantasy. I didn't end up having a place for any material I got from either of them.

And there are probably a hundred people out there who would've had something great to say about the site, so I hope you don't feel overlooked. I know there are a lot of fond memories of this place that would still make for great stories. Similarly, those of you who are still around should feel happy that EoFF is to you now what it was for a lot of people a decade ago, which was what I focused on. That's something that Sean said to me while we were talking, and it's totally true--that sense of community is still here if you're looking for it.

Beautiful article article, Wes. Seriously. It's cool to read the comments and see various people coming out of the woodwork that used to post here. I had briefly brainstormed an idea for an EoFF documentary talking about stuff like this back when Sean first made that thread, but seeing this piece get visibility scratches that itch for me. Very well done.

I got to tell Sean's story, and in a too-brief way talk about what I think was a very special time for the Internet that has now mostly disappeared. But there are a lot of other stories out there. Thousands! If you Skyped with and went around videotaping interviews with every member who had a story to tell, well, that could make for a pretty awesome documentary.

I'd watch it. :monster:

Calliope
04-30-2013, 03:41 AM
eoff hollywood true story

The Man
04-30-2013, 03:45 AM
Oh hey, n00bs.

Maybe some of you will actually stick around. :monster:

Sephex
04-30-2013, 03:46 AM
If someone would have told me that all these years later I would have read such a lengthy and thorough article while taking a dump on my smart phone, I would have said, "That sounds like neat technology. Can't wait until it comes out!"

Seriously, well done Azar. Very cool article.

ljkkjlcm9
04-30-2013, 04:06 AM
Though my life has kept me quite busy these days, I have continued on as a lurker here, and check kotaku a few times a week. It was quite shocking to me to see that two of the three sites I frequent (the third being nintendoworldreport, or as it was, planetgamecube) directly connected to each other.

This community was definitely good to me in my high school and college years!

THE JACKEL

Cid
04-30-2013, 06:06 AM
Welp, my first student read the article and found me. >_<

Teek
04-30-2013, 06:12 AM
Welp, my first student read the article and found me. >_<I'm terrified that that is going to happen a lot. I assume you're used to your kids discovering who you are, Sean.

Cid
04-30-2013, 06:14 AM
Actually, no students know (til tonight, I guess). Separate lives, true to the article...

Teek
04-30-2013, 06:15 AM
Actually, no students know (til tonight, I guess). Separate lives, true to the article...Is there anything professionally wrong with that being the case? I feel like we expect a lot out of our educators. Most of my friends who are teachers confirm this over and over again: they're not allowed to have lives outside of work.

Cid
04-30-2013, 06:17 AM
There is always just a little concern that when kids know something personal about you that they will view you differently (less professionally). On the other hand, I know a lot of teachers that play xbox live with students and add them on facebook. To each their own, I guess.

maybee
04-30-2013, 06:19 AM
Nice read :jess:

Pumpkin
04-30-2013, 06:23 AM
It was a good article. I don't understand most of the nostalgic stuff but I do know that this site has greatly affected my life as well. It has brought me to a new country 1000 miles from home.

XxSephirothxX
04-30-2013, 06:28 AM
There is always just a little concern that when kids know something personal about you that they will view you differently (less professionally). On the other hand, I know a lot of teachers that play xbox live with students and add them on facebook. To each their own, I guess.
Here's hoping it just makes you even more the cool teacher! I'm very curious to hear how they react.

Rantz
04-30-2013, 07:25 AM
while taking a dump on my smart phone, I would have said, "That sounds like neat technology. Can't wait until it comes out!"

And yet you treat it like that. :nonono:

Pete for President
04-30-2013, 08:00 AM
Was a good read :p

Shorty
04-30-2013, 08:26 AM
Way to be a shining example of our community, Azar. Seriously, so incredibly well-done.

We need to have this clipped into EoFF history (*cough*Wiki*cough*) because it is too good to be forgotten among the rest of the nonsense in General Chat.

Loony BoB
04-30-2013, 09:08 AM
Way to be a shining example of our community, Azar. Seriously, so incredibly well-done.

We need to have this clipped into EoFF history (*cough*Wiki*cough*) because it is too good to be forgotten among the rest of the nonsense in General Chat.
Easily good enough for the General Archive once the thread stops getting posted in.

Sephex: There's a good Cyanide & Happiness comic for that somewhere.

Shorty
04-30-2013, 09:09 AM
No, we need the wiki is what we need. :colbert:

Mirage
04-30-2013, 10:02 AM
Yeah, I've always said that Kotaku has nothing but terrible articles.

I'm kidding, this is pretty cool.

Pike
04-30-2013, 10:32 AM

BUSTED

Dreddz
04-30-2013, 11:41 AM
Good read. Who knew this forum would endure for this long.

Raistlin
04-30-2013, 01:23 PM

Hah, you had to know this would happen. I would think this makes you about 1000x cooler, but then again some of your students might be like "forums? fansites? 1999? wtf is this shit?"

stefan
04-30-2013, 01:29 PM
thanks for the mention cid! i know ffwa isnt as big anymore but theres still stuff happening there. check it: https://www.facebook.com/dreachan/posts/10101150124817577?comment_id=7434232&offset=0&total_comments=564&notif_t=share_reply

kotaku on old fansites - FF:WA (http://www.ffwa.org/boards/showthread.php?t=66651)

good read!

Aulayna
04-30-2013, 01:29 PM

Out of curiosity, what happened to the wiki?

Pike
04-30-2013, 01:31 PM

Out of curiosity, what happened to the wiki?

One of the updates broke the log in system and it was never fixed.

Raistlin
04-30-2013, 01:43 PM
So it looks like a portion of FFO's community splintered off when it shut down to form FF Society, and there's a thread about this article: The Final Fantasy Fansite that changed thousands | General Discussion | Forums | Final Fantasy Society (http://www.ffsociety.com/forums/f10/The_Final_Fantasy_Fansite_that_changed_thousands_1056)

Of course, a lot of the discussion involves a tiny portion of the article: my one quote where I talk about how strict it was back then. xD Though I am amused that some of the old staff agreed with me in the Kotaku comments. Regardless of the merits of my statement (and '99 FFO certainly did have a reputation for being more ban-happy than '06 EoFF with a room full of snow penises), it's good to see how Azar's article and EoFF has been noticed by the remnants of those other old FF fansites.

stefan
04-30-2013, 02:14 PM
so how many people are actually left of those who have started on ffo and then moved to ffwa only to end up on eoff? ive been active more or less on all of them. most active on ffwa of course, which i have been maintaining since 2003 or something like that. occasionally dropping in here and on ffo... which recently died, did you hear?

also sup raistlin ff7 master

Shoeberto
04-30-2013, 02:19 PM
I got to tell Sean's story, and in a too-brief way talk about what I think was a very special time for the Internet that has now mostly disappeared. But there are a lot of other stories out there. Thousands! If you Skyped with and went around videotaping interviews with every member who had a story to tell, well, that could make for a pretty awesome documentary.

I'd watch it. :monster:
Well now that's a brain bug that's going to stick around. Maybe I'll end up with enough free time someday in the future to pull it off.

TrollHunter
04-30-2013, 05:34 PM
Damn, that was quite the powerful article.
Even though ive only been here for a short time a lot of this stuff still hits home.
And cid: dont worry, one of our schools favorite teachers likes to talk about his adventures in gta4. The way i see it, a good teacher balances being professional with being really fun and relatable. I expect that you do that fine. I doubt that students knowing of eoff will ruin your reputation or anything. ^^

EDIT: and wait... Someone had a crush on PG? Oh man, thats just.... I have no words.

XxSephirothxX
04-30-2013, 06:37 PM
thanks for the mention cid! i know ffwa isnt as big anymore but theres still stuff happening there. check it: https://www.facebook.com/dreachan/posts/10101150124817577?comment_id=7434232&offset=0&total_comments=564¬if_t=share_reply

kotaku on old fansites - FF:WA (http://www.ffwa.org/boards/showthread.php?t=66651)

good read!

I wish I could get this Facebook link to load. Someone mentioned it in the comments as well. Sounds like quite the reunion!

Ouch!
04-30-2013, 06:56 PM

I was talking to PG when I read this. I mentioned it to him, and his response was, "Um... well, whatever works."

Depression Moon
04-30-2013, 07:40 PM
I like how they rag on FFOnline I joined that forum before. The staff on there or at least back then were some straight up asses!
That was a very good and informative read. I didn't read all of it just yet, but I'll come back and give my full opinion on it.

Scotty_ffgamer
04-30-2013, 10:34 PM
I've only recently really posted anything on this forum and have been a lurker for a little longer than that, but I thoroughly enjoyed the article. I wish I could have known about this community back when I was younger. I used to enjoy the idea of forums, but I could never really find a community as enjoyable as EoFF seems to be. I also was one of the only people amongst my friends who were fans of Final Fantasy and felt isolated in that considering how big of a part of my life those games played.

Raistlin
04-30-2013, 11:08 PM
so how many people are actually left of those who have started on ffo and then moved to ffwa only to end up on eoff? ive been active more or less on all of them. most active on ffwa of course, which i have been maintaining since 2003 or something like that. occasionally dropping in here and on ffo... which recently died, did you hear?

Not many, unfortunately. I know BOU posted at FFO a little (he was among those who bragged that he was banned from there), and possibly RSL. I'm not sure if any of the other original FFWAers (Cid, Asorie, Jojo/TifaL) ever posted at FFO -- and they don't post here much anymore.

also sup raistlin ff7 master

Oh man, nostalgia overload. xD Martin and I lived and breathed FF7; I was so irritated when Rob made me moderator of the FFT forum instead of FF7 (somewhat ironic considering FFT is now my favorite FF). I also fondly remember The Beer Crusade in FFWA's General Chat, which was especially ridiculous for a 12-year-old to be participating in. Those threads were the reason that I was thoroughly disappointed when I didn't actually like Guinness years later haha.

krissy
04-30-2013, 11:09 PM
i also started on ffo

Raistlin
04-30-2013, 11:14 PM
You did??? I didn't remember that. You had a more roundabout path to EoFF than through FFWA, though. Weren't you part of Edge's EzBoard? (lol Edge I still can't believe Elyse ever dated him ahaha) I don't think I ever met you until tGA started.

Sephex
04-30-2013, 11:51 PM
while taking a dump on my smart phone, I would have said, "That sounds like neat technology. Can't wait until it comes out!"

And yet you treat it like that. :nonono:

Surf *****ing is efficient. :mad2:

krissy
05-01-2013, 02:38 AM
FFO > FFWA > some guy posted about tGA eZBoard that he needed help to be turks so i immediately jumped on the idea and registered a global ezboard handle of reno leonheart. then tGA and cheesecake and nuthouse were the only places i really hung out. there was another board i don't remember the name of it. some girl with an a name, and NIAP ran it?

anyway then this one weekend in 2000 i was bored at my uncles so i regged here cause i knew you lot hung out here for some reason. i made like 5 posts that weekend and left forever.

starseeker
05-01-2013, 04:13 PM
Well this certainly brought back a lot of old memories. I wonder if anyone remembers me and Lostnumber?

Loony BoB
05-01-2013, 04:22 PM
I remember the both of ya.

Shoden
05-01-2013, 04:23 PM
Well this certainly brought back a lot of old memories. I wonder if anyone remembers me and Lostnumber?

Of course! There's a plan in action for Losty at the minute, I think.

Anyways...
I WAS banned for like 4 years and came back 2 or maybes 3 years ago, I can't remember.
BUT, I still have plenty of memories. I lurked here for donkey's years before registering and eventually getting banned for being a total nonce but hey... IT HAPPENS.

Fuzakeru
05-01-2013, 04:35 PM
I know that feeling, Cid. I do a lot of stuff around the internet under a different name or two and it is always awkward when someone goes, 'Oh, you're also ________ too? Lemme do a google search of everything you've ever posted ever." It makes you feel pants-less but in a bad way.

Yes. I had a crush on PG when I was in high school for like a week or two. He shouldn't be surprised. It was obvious. Lol pika pika pfft. If we take a moment to consider the timing of all this, that was easily about 12 years ago. :cool:

Biggs & Wedge
05-01-2013, 04:41 PM
I came over here as a result of reading the article. Sounded like my kind of community.

I'm 99% sure I was here a long long time ago but it was at a time in which I joined many forums under many usernames and only stuck around on a select few.

chionos
05-01-2013, 05:11 PM
Well written article.

It makes you wonder though, what if something were to happen to LB now?

Also, I agree with Raist, I don't think this article gets Cid cool-points with the school kids. EoFF isn't Reddit. Only old people play on forums anymore. XD

Loony BoB
05-01-2013, 06:39 PM
It makes you wonder though, what if something were to happen to LB now?
Don't kill me off! But EoFF would go on without me, I'm sure of that. I don't do much these days besides get my sig abused mercilessly. :(

Loony BoB
05-01-2013, 08:34 PM
I'm all for manlove. Just not in my signature.

Raistlin
05-01-2013, 10:41 PM
I think it's time for another All-Male Group Hug in BoB's signature.

anyway then this one weekend in 2000 i was bored at my uncles so i regged here cause i knew you lot hung out here for some reason. i made like 5 posts that weekend and left forever.

If only! :love:

theundeadhero
05-02-2013, 03:05 AM
Is that reno who just registered?
No at all!

-N-
05-02-2013, 06:06 AM
Thanks to you, Wes, my partner of 6 1/2 years finally learned about my "secret" life here and just how involved I used to be.

Not that I tried to hide it but my decline in activity here does roughly correspond to meeting her. I guess I too was looking for meaningful relationships but happened to find it outside EoFF.

Both she and I think your article is brilliantly written. In the desert of mediocre writing that is the internet your piece stands out as an oasis of journalism. Or some other superlative metaphor. :)

And we look forward to hanging out soon! Thanks so much for doing something wonderful for this community. I will fondly remember this homage to the pioneering, "wild west" internet.

Also Fuzy that is f'ing hilarious! I've known you and PG how long now?! Oh man... :D

XxSephirothxX
05-02-2013, 06:33 AM
Thanks to you, Wes, my partner of 6 1/2 years finally learned about my "secret" life here and just how involved I used to be.

Not that I tried to hide it but my decline in activity here does roughly correspond to meeting her. I guess I too was looking for meaningful relationships but happened to find it outside EoFF.

Both she and I think your article is brilliantly written. In the desert of mediocre writing that is the internet your piece stands out as an oasis of journalism. Or some other superlative metaphor. :)

And we look forward to hanging out soon! Thanks so much for doing something wonderful for this community. I will fondly remember this homage to the pioneering, "wild west" internet.

Also Fuzy that is f'ing hilarious! I've known you and PG how long now?! Oh man... :D
Too much! I'm just glad I could write something meaningful that expressed some of the importance this place had on me without making it about me. I got to be personal without being indulgent.

And now your wife knows just how much of a nerd you are!

Quindiana Jones
05-02-2013, 06:34 AM
So here's to you, Mr. Robinson. :cheers:

Rantz
05-02-2013, 10:26 AM
"wild west" internet

That's a strikingly fitting epithet for the internet pre-2003.

Spatvark
05-16-2013, 08:53 PM
Hey, only two attempts needed to remember my password!

EoFF was important, no doubt about it, just like FFO or FFWA were, or any of the hundreds, hell, thousands of online communities that sprang up between 1995-2005, as were the BBS systems from the mid-70's to the mid-90's, because they were an integral part of geek culture's pubescence. They were places where people who were outcasts IRL could find others of like mind, talk about the shared love for whatever fandom it was that they had, and along the way, discover all the the other things they had in common. Where we struggled to connect to people in "the real world" (and man, has that phrase proved to be completely inaccurate or what?), we could always connect online. Unless our crappy 33.6k dial-up modems flaked on us. Stupid bastard things.

In many ways, EoFF isn't that remarkable when compared to many of the communities of yesteryear in their heyday; the thing that I believe lifts it above most others though, is that it is still here, it is still strong, and even in today's Facebook/Twitter/YouTube-dominated world, it's still relevant.

One of the things I liked the most, looking back, was the incestuousness of the FF forum community, and the sideways movement into other arenas of interest: FFWA, FFO, EoFF, FFL, Legardinia, Fool's Gold, tGA, FFRepublic, Advent Children.net, and the various other spinoffs that all had commonalities, and also great differences, where if you were in the mood for something different, you could head to a place that'd cater for that, but still be around familiar faces. It's kinda like having Cheers next to Central Perk next to The Bronze next to MacLaren's, and so on and so on. One day you might want beer, the next coffee, the next a rave, but everywhere you went, your friends would always be there too. Online, it was virtually (hah!) impossible to ever be alone, unless you actually tried at it, whereas it's all too easy to entirely bounce off people and communities and activities IRL.

Really, when I think about it, it just comes down to the simple fact that the internet is a wonderful place, and I'm glad to have had it in my life at an important time when I was growing up.

Now to disappear for another good few years...

...oh, and what do you mean I'm late? Not my fault Towns didn't send a stupid email until to--*gets shot by a sniper*

The Man
05-16-2013, 10:17 PM
Holy shit, it's Spatvark. How're you doing? :monster:

Flying Mullet
05-16-2013, 10:24 PM
You just missed him. He'll be back in a couple of years.

Shorty
05-16-2013, 10:25 PM
SPATVAAAAAARK!

Jowy
05-17-2013, 08:42 AM
Hey, only two attempts needed to remember my password!

EoFF was important, no doubt about it, just like FFO or FFWA were, or any of the hundreds, hell, thousands of online communities that sprang up between 1995-2005, as were the BBS systems from the mid-70's to the mid-90's, because they were an integral part of geek culture's pubescence. They were places where people who were outcasts IRL could find others of like mind, talk about the shared love for whatever fandom it was that they had, and along the way, discover all the the other things they had in common. Where we struggled to connect to people in "the real world" (and man, has that phrase proved to be completely inaccurate or what?), we could always connect online. Unless our crappy 33.6k dial-up modems flaked on us. Stupid bastard things.

In many ways, EoFF isn't that remarkable when compared to many of the communities of yesteryear in their heyday; the thing that I believe lifts it above most others though, is that it is still here, it is still strong, and even in today's Facebook/Twitter/YouTube-dominated world, it's still relevant.

One of the things I liked the most, looking back, was the incestuousness of the FF forum community, and the sideways movement into other arenas of interest: FFWA, FFO, EoFF, FFL, Legardinia, Fool's Gold, tGA, FFRepublic, Advent Children.net, and the various other spinoffs that all had commonalities, and also great differences, where if you were in the mood for something different, you could head to a place that'd cater for that, but still be around familiar faces. It's kinda like having Cheers next to Central Perk next to The Bronze next to MacLaren's, and so on and so on. One day you might want beer, the next coffee, the next a rave, but everywhere you went, your friends would always be there too. Online, it was virtually (hah!) impossible to ever be alone, unless you actually tried at it, whereas it's all too easy to entirely bounce off people and communities and activities IRL.

Really, when I think about it, it just comes down to the simple fact that the internet is a wonderful place, and I'm glad to have had it in my life at an important time when I was growing up.

Now to disappear for another good few years...

...oh, and what do you mean I'm late? Not my fault Towns didn't send a stupid email until to--*gets shot by a sniper*

i don't hear you chain-casting Lex Aeterna !! :aimmad:

How have you been these past five years?!

Loony BoB
05-17-2013, 09:03 AM
I hope you were about to say totally ages ago, because I sent an email to you ages ago. I'm pretty sure it was even personalised! Must've gone to your spambox or something. We had a reunion and you were most certainly in demand (you can probably accept our Steam friend requests now, too, right?).

I MISSED YOU SPATTY ;_; STAY FOREVER. Or at least add me to Facebook if you have one so I can nag you in a far easier way. >=]

Shiny
05-17-2013, 10:23 AM
I love how they chose they picture of Daniel and smitten. Daniel looks like such a pervy version of Tom Cruise in that picture.

Loony BoB
05-17-2013, 11:28 AM
I love how they chose they picture of Daniel and smitten. Daniel looks like such a pervy version of Tom Cruise in that picture.
We chose it... it's the only good recent pic we have of ourselves. :(

Shiny makes me self-concious. :cry: But hey, at least I still look like Tom Cruise after all these years. ^_^

Pike
05-17-2013, 11:45 AM
On the plus side he did make all the Reddit nerds jealous.