PDA

View Full Version : Beat 'Em Ups/Fighting Games

Aulayna
04-30-2013, 07:49 PM
If you're partial to playing Beat 'Em Ups and raging at losing to button mashers - unite here!

Which series is your favourite? Are you a Tekken fan? A Street Fighter diehard? A Tits or Ass... I mean Dead or Alive junkine? Or perhaps are you partial to a bit of weapon based combat with Soul Calibur?

For me I adore the older Soul Calibur games with modes like Edge Master and Weapon Master and the weird Map based one in SC3. It's a shame they really gutted most of those features in SC4/5 :/

Del Murder
04-30-2013, 08:09 PM
Fighting games are beat 'em ups? Aren't they just fighting games?

When I think beat 'em ups I think of games like Final Fight, Double Dragon, and many old arcade classics like X-Men, TMNT or the Simpsons game. My favorite in that regard is probably the old TMNT arcade game, which was released on the NES as TMNT 2. Golden Axe is also a great one.

Slothy
04-30-2013, 08:15 PM
What Del said is correct. Fighting games be fighting games and beat 'em ups be the likes of Double Dragon, Final Fight, etc.

Luckily I like both. Spent most of my allowance one time beating that X-Men arcade game. On the fighting game end I love a good fighting game. Super Street Fighter 2 Turbo is always amazing, and Soul Calibur 2 is the best 3D fighting game ever. Though I like more casual fare like the recent Mortal Kombat reboot and Marvel Vs. Capcom 2.

Jowy
04-30-2013, 09:38 PM
V-22, do you have MvC2 on XBLA per chance? I haven't had a good match in a long time. Both genres are extremely fun! Like most adults in our age group, I've blown my fair share of Chuck-E-Cheese tokens and quarters on TMNT, X-Men, and The Simpsons arcade games. And I still find myself plunking quarters in the four player Turtles in Time machine downtown. I'm much more partial to console beat-em-ups though; Playing lots of Scott Pilgrim vs the World and Castle Crashers (XBLA let's do this, guys!) lately. One day I'll beat River City Ransom and Battletoads via bro-op too.

In terms of fighters though, Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core Plus is my game of choice. Main Millia Rage, alt Jam Kuradoberi. A lot of people have recommended BlazBlue Continuum Shift: EXTEND as something new to try but I've heard mixed reviews and that it isn't as complex and fast-paced as GGXX: AC+; the game's broken me from playing slower fighters like MK and SFIV. The only 3D fighter I'm into is Soul Cally 2. I liked Talim being hilariously broken.

Mirage
04-30-2013, 10:02 PM
But some fighting games have beat-em-ups inside of them!

I like Soul Calibur a lot, but it's sort of a dead series. Other than that, I play tekken casually, but I think I am a bit above casual skill-wise, although not a lot. I also play Dead or Alive now and then.

Del Murder
04-30-2013, 10:21 PM
That's true. Kicking the crap out of a car was one of the fondest memories I had of the original SFII.

Jowy
04-30-2013, 10:25 PM
That's true. Kicking the crap out of a car was one of the fondest memories I had of the original SFII.

TEST YOUR MIGHT in Mortal Kombat was a fun little distraction.

Slothy
04-30-2013, 10:50 PM
V-22, do you have MvC2 on XBLA per chance? I haven't had a good match in a long time.

Don't have a 360 I'm afraid. I also don't have it on my PS3 though so I haven't gotten to play online. When I play MvC2 it's the old school way: on a Dreamcast.

Mirage
04-30-2013, 10:51 PM
There was also the devil inside in T5 and scenario campaign in T6.

Jowy
04-30-2013, 11:14 PM
V-22, do you have MvC2 on XBLA per chance? I haven't had a good match in a long time.

Don't have a 360 I'm afraid. I also don't have it on my PS3 though so I haven't gotten to play online. When I play MvC2 it's the old school way: on a Dreamcast.

The DC version is the most true to the arcade without the slowdown, so jealous. I skipped school for two days to unlock all of the characters back in 02. Good times. They just give you them all in the XBLA/PS3 version at least.

Formalhaut
04-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Ugh. When it comes to fighting games, I have absolutely no skill in executing like a 5-10 button combination. Seriously, Super Smash Bros. Brawl is like the only fighting game I could play because the controls are so simple. I still suck :p

As for beat em' ups, does Dynasty Warriors count at all? I admit it's more stab them up, but hey, semantics. I played the smurf out of that game when I was younger.

TrollHunter
04-30-2013, 11:32 PM
Ive played so much SO MUCH scott pilgrim. Back when my best friend visited me from NC we were up all night destroying SP.

On the fighting end i've played a crap-ton of SC2,3 and 4. I play 3 mostly, and my favorite character is talim. Tonfa/tuifa are just awesome weapons and her fighting style is so fun to use ^^

I got really good on wifi SC4 with talim... But alas i dont enjoy that game nearly as much. I aerial kicked my brother off levels so many times, its such a hilarious combo xD

I need to find sc2 again...

EDIT: oh, and ive played too many naruto fighting games to count. Such stupidly fun fighting games.

Slothy
04-30-2013, 11:40 PM
While the competitive gamer in me is happy they just give them all to you now, the teenager in me is a bit disappointed since he spent all of that time unlocking them all.

Depression Moon
04-30-2013, 11:42 PM
I'm a Tekken main. I had played in a couple of tournaments in 6. Lost badly the 1st time due to not knowing the rules beforehand. The 2nd time I placed 3rd. I also played in a couple for Skullgirls and got my ass handed to me by Master CJ.

I was getting into SF4 a bit too, but quit after I no longer had internet so there was no way for me to practice. I loved SC 1 & 2 SC3 was kinda bad. Liked Chronicles of the Sword, but the gameplay took a fall. Haven't played 4 heard it was bad, played 5 and it's pretty good, just mad that Sophitia and Kilik were made into mime characters.

I would like to go back to them and if I did I would probably play Tekken Tag 2, Skullgirls, and Injustice. Haven't played Injustice, but it looks fun.As for beat-em ups I like Super Double Dragon, and Scott Pilgrim vs the World the most.

T6 Scenario and T5 Devil Within were ass. T3 and 4 Tekken Force mode were ok.

Mirage
05-01-2013, 12:31 AM
It's not sophitia it's an evil being taking her form to mess with sophitia's kids' heads!

Aulayna
05-01-2013, 01:49 AM
The more I think about SC5 the more annoyed I get about it. :(

Bolivar
05-01-2013, 02:25 AM
Favorite fighting game,prolly MvC2! I actually played Wolf once and he won so I'm not allowed to question Sakaguchi's legacy anymore! I like to think it was close, though...

Favorite beat em up Streets of Rage 2 I still boot that up as go to game when I got people over

Snakz92
05-01-2013, 04:36 AM
I LOVE MVC2!!! it's just so fun yo
1.KOF
2.Skullgirls
3.Darkstalkers
4.MVC1
5.Street Fighter 3rd strike.
6.DOA
i play most fighters though~

NorthernChaosGod
05-01-2013, 05:54 AM
Super Smash Bros. Melee of course. I'm okay at Soul Caliber and MvC games though.

TrollHunter
05-01-2013, 06:17 AM
Whenever me and previously mentioned friend go at it in SSBM... it basically goes on forever as we constantly dodge, counter and counter-counter everything we do to eachother. Young Link vs. Link matches that could go on for days. It was truly a clash of the titans whenever we fought, and any friends in the 3rd or 4th slot were instantly eliminated. Battles were hard fought and victories were well earned. Boxes of soda sacrificed to the gaming gods whenever the gamecube was turned on.
...and us investing that much time in the game really pissed all our friends off as we would hand them their asses everytime and that wasn't very fun for them. Meh, you win some you lose some. :riiight:

Snakz92
05-01-2013, 06:20 AM
i love smash bros.
It's THE essential party game(next to mario party).

Formalhaut
05-01-2013, 05:36 PM
i love smash bros.
It's THE essential party game(next to mario party).

I don't think I've ever played it with other people :( Me so lonely.

Roogle
05-01-2013, 07:25 PM
I am a competitive fighting game player that travels across the country at a few points in the year to compete at the national level. I am known for playing on a keyboard, as opposed to an arcade stick or controller. I only play as Rose in Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition 2012 which limits my performance in tournaments, undoubtedly, as I can easily be counterpicked and things like that.

Slothy
05-01-2013, 08:08 PM
Wait, you mean a computer keyboard? That must take some mad skills son.

Mirage
05-01-2013, 08:23 PM
He's a bit crazy.

Snakz92
05-01-2013, 08:56 PM
I am a competitive fighting game player that travels across the country at a few points in the year to compete at the national level. I am known for playing on a keyboard, as opposed to an arcade stick or controller. I only play as Rose in Super Street Fighter IV: Arcade Edition 2012 which limits my performance in tournaments, undoubtedly, as I can easily be counterpicked and things like that.

Hope to see you at EVO.

Depression Moon
05-01-2013, 10:36 PM

You gotta have a 2nd man so that people can just easily counterpick you like that.

Mirage
05-01-2013, 10:49 PM
Roogle only plays characters that he feels he has an emotional connection with.

Snakz92
05-01-2013, 11:52 PM
Aura soul spark~

Aulayna
05-02-2013, 12:35 AM
True story: I got Street Fighter 4 for my PS3. Couldn't even beat the last boss of Arcade Mode on Easy. :(

Depression Moon
05-02-2013, 01:09 AM
True story: I got Street Fighter 4 for my PS3. Couldn't even beat the last boss of Arcade Mode on Easy. :(

It was the same for me when I first got way back in 2009. Took me forever to beat him. He can't fight him by conventional means. I think what I did was spam some certain move over and over to get rid of most of his health. A lot of fighting game bosses are known to be cheap you just got to find the move that they almost never defend against.

Laddy
05-02-2013, 09:20 AM
Soul Calibur is my game and Voldo is my main. Got 2nd place in a tournament with him. Cue jokes now.

I'm also decent at Tekken, BlazBlue, and Skullgirls, while sucking (and not particularly liking) Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, and Street Fighter.

Smash Brothers isn't my cup of tea either.

Snakz92
05-02-2013, 05:52 PM
Soul Calibur is my game and Voldo is my main. Got 2nd place in a tournament with him. Cue jokes now.

I'm also decent at Tekken, BlazBlue, and Skullgirls, while sucking (and not particularly liking) Virtua Fighter, Dead or Alive, and Street Fighter.

Smash Brothers isn't my cup of tea either.

Skullgirls <3

Unbreakable Will
05-02-2013, 06:12 PM
I'm a Marvel vs. Capcom junkie when it comes to fighting games, I also play a good bit of the DBZ and Naruto games as well!

sharkythesharkdogg
05-10-2013, 05:06 PM
It's neat to see so many people have the same opinion on the newer SC's and how they've declined. I just wrote about how I feel SC2 was the pinnacle.

I love old 2D fighters like Street Fighter Turbo, King of Fighters, Fatal Fury, Samurai Showdown, etc. I could turn it into a massive name drop, but that's enough of an idea. :p

Also Del is correct. There are many good beat 'em ups, like Golden Axe, but the one to rule them all is TMNT Turtles in Time. X-Men arcade was a fair second place in my eyes.

DanielCLFFF13
05-10-2013, 05:27 PM
Tekken is very good game. With 3d visual and gameplay. It just awsome. I usually use Eddy Gordo, Lars Anderson, Steve Fox, Baek Doo san and Bruce Irvin. :)

Mirage
05-10-2013, 05:30 PM
I'm not entirely sure how big a fan you are when you don't even know the characters' names!

DanielCLFFF13
05-10-2013, 05:39 PM
Usually I often hear their names when I was about to choose a character. And usually when I chose, their names are usually mentioned. "Eddy" "Steve Fox"
hehe :)

Snakz92
05-10-2013, 06:56 PM
but the one to rule them all is TMNT Turtles in Time. X-Men arcade was a fair second place in my eyes.

Lets kick shell!
Welcome to die!

Pike
05-11-2013, 08:13 PM
Beat 'em ups are fun, but I am terrible at them.

Fighters I am similarly terrible at. It's easily my "worst" game genre.

Street Fighter II was always a classic though, and so was Killer Instinct. What a great game.

Rostum
05-14-2013, 10:12 AM
Beat 'em up games are cool. I love the Double Dragon series, and Battletoads series, Turtles in Time, Castle Crashers, Maximum Carnage, Michael Jackson’s Moonwalker, Alien versus Predator, Golden Axe series, X-Men Mutant Apocalypse, Batman Returns, Power Rangers, and the Final Fight series. Hope I didn't miss any others!

Pike
05-14-2013, 10:41 AM
Who remembers the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles game on Game Boy? Loved that one!

Also had some glorious 8-bit music.

black orb
05-15-2013, 07:01 AM
>>> Beat 'Em Ups, Muramasa: The Demon Blade is probably the best. And I like the old Capcom ones like Captain Commando.

Fighters, the Blazblue games are pretty cool, Persona 4 Arena looks great too but I have not played it yet..:luca:

DownDiagonalLeftA
05-17-2013, 02:14 AM
I used to play a TON of Street Fighter (2 and 4) and Tekken (Tekken 6 and Tekken Tag 2) both online and locally. I'm a big fan of both series. Its been quite a while since i've played either though.

I was pretty good. Way better in SF than I was at Tekken though.

Spatvark
05-17-2013, 06:06 PM
I've kinda bounced off fighting games in the last decade or so, but used to be into SF2 and T3 in a big way. A hell of a lot of hours put into both of those. Also, I used to play SSF2T on the PC with the keyboard. It's hard, but not impossible, and some stuff is actually easier. But Zangief's Spinning Piledriver was always way beyond me XD

As for beat-em-ups, Streets of Rage 2 is my favourite, though Capcom produced a whole slew of awesome ones, like Captain Commando, Punisher, Warriors of Fate (sequel to the afore-mentioned Dynasty Warriors), and of course, Final Fight.