PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy 8 lovers HATERS CAN'T COME IN

maybee
05-01-2013, 07:57 AM
Well there's a Final Fantasy X " Haters Go Away " topic so why not a Final Fantasy VIII " Haters Go Away, lovers only " topic ?

Speak here on why you love Final Fantasy VIII and why it's one if not your favourite Final Fantasy game/s.

:love:

chionos
05-01-2013, 08:24 AM
Fine.

FFVIII had some good music, because Nobuo Uematsu is a freggin BEAST. Also one of my favorite CS of all time occurred in FFVIII when Balamb Garden--well, here:

IiYCDgPx2Wo

That old fisher-dude. :p tries to reel in the fish. Muahaha.

Yeah, that was a great moment.

Squall's a bonehead (have to get in just a little hate >_<) but Zell's fury is hilarious and I like him.

Also, I found the junction system to be interesting at the very least. Not perfect, but quite intriguing.

charliepanayi
05-01-2013, 08:40 AM
Best opening to any FF game
Best ending to any FF game
Great final boss battle
Great music
I really like the plotline and the way you have to fill in some of the gaps.
I like the orphanage flashback scene, so there!

Aulayna
05-01-2013, 12:18 PM
Quistis.

charliepanayi
05-02-2013, 10:46 AM
I also think the game is pretty funny in places - it doesn't reach the heights of FFIX in that respect, but there's a lot of amusing moments. Chickenwuss, I dreamt I was a moron, Rinoa's terrible painting skills etc.

And I'll stress again, I love the ending. The moment Eyes on Me segues into the traditional FF theme and the credits roll is perfect.

Loony BoB
05-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Alright, guys, you've had your fun and I've deleted your crappy posts. No more hatin' in the thread asking for lovin'.

I agree that FFVIII has the best opening cutscene and probably the best ending one too. I loved the general gameplay throughout, the minigames were great, the Ragnarok was Ragnarockin', the gardens were awesome, the various cutscenes throughout were generally good to awesome. Lots to like about this game. Also, if you want an easy relaxing playthrough, I'd say this is the best option in the series.

charliepanayi
05-02-2013, 08:59 PM
You guys really are pathetic.

NeoCracker
05-02-2013, 10:07 PM
Alright though, I had my time wasting fun, I guess I will say something nice about the game. :p

While I hate it, the game does have quite a few designs and set pieces that are just wonderful to look at. And, as FF usual, a lot of great pieces of music throughout.

And Doom Train is fucking awesome.

Shorty
05-02-2013, 11:25 PM
Doom Train is indeed amazing. This game's Shiva is my favorite version and my favorite GF.

All in all, I really like the love story. I know that it's so cheese and so predictable and that Squall is an angsty little bitch in the beginning, but when he realizes that he misses Rinoa and that he has the power to change the events that are happening and that she's the most important thing right then, it melts my heart.

Also, space scene forever ;__________________________;

Also ALSO best fucking mini-game triple triaddd

Jessweeee♪
05-03-2013, 02:33 AM
Oh my god everything.

Rantz
05-03-2013, 05:31 AM
FF8 is great, head to toe. Train, train, take me away~

Forsaken Lover
05-03-2013, 12:47 PM
Seifer was well-characterized, had a really cool and fitting design and was overall a pretty good character.

SeiferxRinoa for life yo.

Rocket Edge
05-03-2013, 02:00 PM
This is my favourite game. So what comes into mind...

1. The opening sequence
2. The Gardens
3. The character development
4. Zell - I loved this guy. His outbursts were some good comic relief
5. The junction system
6. Card Mod
7. Triple Triad - Best minigame ever
8. Tri-face
9. Malboros opening noise - sounds like a weird laugh
10. Getting the items for remodelling the weapons
11. Seifers character design as said before & his fighting stance
12. Character designs in general. I think this game doesn't even look that out of place by todays standards
13. Dance with the Balamb-Fish. My favourite FF song ever for some strange reason
14. Fishermans Horizon - The music that goes with this makes it amazing
15. Nobuo Uematsu - The music in this game is flawless as usual with this man
16. Ultima & Omega Weapon
17. Gilgamesh scene with Seifer
18. Adel
19. In Space with the Ragnarok
20. That little bump sound that Squall makes when he hits his gunblade off Zells head
21. Squall rescuing Rinoa from the sorceress memorial
22. The orphanage scene
23. I know that some people dislike Squall, but I loved him as the main character. I was annoyed with him at times but the way he redeems himself at the end is one of the reasons I love this game.
24. SeeD Test
25. Mug
26. Spd-J
27. Cactuars
28. Moombas
29. As someone said before, I liked the way it left you to fill in the blanks with some things.
30. Last but not least, the ending. Perfectly summed up the story. Again, it had beautiful music.

I'll leave it there. I actually did that pretty quickly. :spin:

Scotty_ffgamer
05-03-2013, 07:10 PM
Moombas are beautiful.

Pumpkin
05-03-2013, 07:13 PM
I liked Squall and Zell and Selphie and Seifer. I liked the concept of the junction system, but I wish they had made it so it doesn't use up your magic, because I could never use my magic since I am obsessed with having 100 of all of it. I liked the GF's and the summoning system. The opening scene and the music was very good as well.

chionos
05-03-2013, 07:16 PM
I liked Squall and Zell and Selphie and Seifer. I liked the concept of the junction system, but I wish they had made it so it doesn't use up your magic, because I could never use my magic since I am obsessed with having 100 of all of it. I liked the GF's and the summoning system. The opening scene and the music was very good as well.

Yeah, lol, same here.

Karifean
05-04-2013, 02:03 PM
The music. End of story. It has the best soundtrack in the entire series. Let me see how many awesome tracks I can name off the top of my head...

The Castle, The Extreme, The Stage is Set, Ami, Only a Plank between One and Perdition, Shuffle or Boogie, The Landing, The Legendary Beast, Premonition, Under Her Control, Fisherman's Horizon, Waltz for the Moon, Mods de Chocobo (best Chocobo theme in the series!), Don't be afraid, Force your way, ... you get the point.

Triple Triad is also one of the best minigames in the series. I actually made a custom board for it and recreated every single card and played some games with my brother.

Snakz92
05-04-2013, 06:17 PM
Not sure if you guys have seen this yet, but here you go!
How NOT to play Final Fantasy VIII - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HPh1VoJ6TUg)
Start is kinda slow but give it time.

Zeiferxx
05-04-2013, 07:07 PM
Final Fantasy VIII has the best leveling up system in the series along FFX, but I prefer FFVIII style more. GF system is great that alows you to customize it's leveling system how'd you please and every character can control GF as you please. Story is fantastic as well the characters.

MJN SEIFER
05-06-2013, 10:33 PM
Final Fantasy VIII is my second favorite Final Fantasy, and is very sentimental to me. Here are the main things I love about it, though most people may dissagree with them.

1 Squall and Rinoa are two of my favortite Final Fantasy characters ever. I can relate to Squall, and I find Rinoa to be the kind of person I would be friends with in real life.

2. Final Fantasy VIII is very romantic, which is something I've been interested in since I was a child. I ship Squall and Rinoa, and aside from the problem that most storylines have (there's no real way of knowing how long the game takes, so it looks like they meet and then fall for each other) I found their love to be very realistically handled. I know people dissagree, but that's how I see it.

3. The music, like all FF games I've played is beautiful; Eyes on Me is a very memorable and heart-warming song for me.

4. I found the Junction System to be fairly easy to use, especially after playing Final Fantasy VII, as the Materia System was ultimately the same thing once the surface is scratched.

5. Here is where everyone will most likely dissagee, but I loved the Orphanage Twist. Many people say that it wasn't really foreshadowed, but from what I saw, it was - it was just that they foreshadowed subtly, so as not to give away too much - I actually noticed a lot more hints towards the orphanage (how characters reacted to things, the things they said, the way they said them, etc) after replaying it, that I missed when I didn't know what they were hinting to; I currently call this Hindsight Foreshadowing, but there's probably a TV Tropes term for it (The Sixth Sense and Final Destination 5 also do this - they have twists, that are hinted at throughout, but you don't really notice them until you've already been shown the twist). Also, I've always liked the idea that one could have a connection or a bond with their friends before they know who they are, or something. It is always something that has meant a lot to me.

6. Like with Final Fantasy VII (my actual favorite) it combines the fantasy world with the more real world perfectly, in fact some of the earlier locations (Timber, Dollet, Balamb, etc) actually look like they could be real places in our world.

7. That said, I liked how the made the game very close to our world in spirit (I even did a thread on it once), by which I mean most of the towns are formatted like ours, the game's world has magazines, websites, and the like which make the world look more realistic, but also help us (reading the magazine tells us what items we need, or gives us hints to things, and the websites were just fun to look at, but also became useful at times) there's probably more that I'm blanking on.

8. The Garden's, especially yours were excelent locations. I mean come on, going to school would have been a lot better if it had been like the Garden, right? Well, I always thought so as a kid anyway...

9. So many awesome moments that will take too long to list (but one day I will if you want me to).

To be honest, as biased as it may sound, the perfect RPG for me would be all the best parts of the FFVII format, and the FFVIII format used to their fullest.

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
08-04-2013, 06:54 PM
I actually did pick VIII over VII, because:

1. VIII was savvy enough not to spam, "Squall, Laguna is your daddy", while VII got, "OH MY GOD, THEY KILLED AERIS!" "YOU BASTARD!"
2. VIII has a nice intertwining side story in Laguna, while VII has a headache in the form of Wutai.
3. VIII has a junction/draw system that beefs up stats, while I'm not qualified to mention about Materia.

Spooniest
08-04-2013, 09:23 PM
When Squall's battle menu does this:
_______
Attack >
Magic
GF
Item
_______

That's why I love Final Fantasy VIII.

"REN ZO KU KEN!!!"

Synoptikal
08-05-2013, 07:17 AM
I played this game so much that I can perform triggers, in both regular attacks and limit breaks, with my eyes closed.

Maybe that tells you how much I love it. XD

noxious.sunshine
08-05-2013, 05:20 PM
I absolutely looooove listening to the piano version of "The Castle". I think it's pure genius.

Fuujin is one of my fav characters of all-time. Next to Irvine and Cid Highwind. Oh yeah. I like Selphie too.

Scotty_ffgamer
08-05-2013, 05:45 PM
The piano collections and orchestral arrangements for the music in this game are so good. Silence and Motion (I think that's the name) is kind of weird in the piano version though. Doesn't really sound like the song in the game.

Jiro
08-06-2013, 08:19 AM
Glad to see this thread, maybee :D

This is an excellent game for a lot of the reasons already mentioned. It has a really well developed and realistic world. I love my fantasy as much as the next guy, but this felt like a world I could go to. The locations were so fantastic.

It has, hands down, the best FMVs of the series. Just, no, no contest. Garden Battle is the most kickass thing ever. Final Fantasy X has my favourite individual FMV (sliding down chains into Bevelle, hell yeah ma'fugga) but FFVIII has consistently the coolest things going on.

Music, comedy, characters, everything. It was a truly awesome game that cops a lot of flak due to not being a rehash of FFVII.

There are problems with the game, but there are problems with all games.

Ultima Shadow
08-06-2013, 05:48 PM
Best mini game ever and the best final boss battle in the entire FF series.

...AND it has the, by far, most badass-looking versions of Ultima Weapon and Omega Weapon. :greenie:

Spooniest
08-06-2013, 06:19 PM
When Squall's battle menu does this:
_______
Attack >
Magic
GF
Item
_______

That's why I love Final Fantasy VIII.

"REN ZO KU KEN!!!"

Matter of fact, I think I know why this is...Cloud's Omnislash is a spectacular and cathartic moment for FFVII, but the animation of it is kind of hard to characterize...limited? It's all jumpcuts from before the swing, to after the swing.

Renzokuken, on the other hand, really shows that the money made from FFVII was put to good use...Squall's much more realistic animations, combined with the sound effects, just do such a better job of giving you the impression that he's beating this enemy into a pulp with EXTREME prejudice. The fact that you get to be the activator, by pulling the trigger, is just the perfect icing on this mayhem cake.

Jiro
08-07-2013, 07:33 AM
Renzokuken also adapts to the enemy Squall is fighting, which is just the best.

ThornQueen
08-07-2013, 07:43 AM
Zell, Laguna, and Irvine are awesome.

...and Moombas. Gotta love 'em. I suppose I enjoyed some of the music as well.

Synoptikal
08-07-2013, 07:58 AM
I would have loved to go to Balamb Garden and train to be a SeeD. It seems like the same concept that drew people into Hogwarts. Going to school to learn something that ISN'T Maths, English, etc. The boarding school mentality, after a fashion.

maybee
08-07-2013, 08:22 AM
I would have loved to go to Balamb Garden and train to be a SeeD. It seems like the same concept that drew people into Hogwarts. Going to school to learn something that ISN'T Maths, English, etc. The boarding school mentality, after a fashion.

Same. Expect more Trabia because it's colder and snowy and it must of been like a Winter Wonderland before the missile attack. It's a shame that we couldn't of seen what it looked like before then. :cry:

Forsaken Lover
08-08-2013, 01:47 PM
This line is legitimately hilarious and why I have no problems with Rinoa.

*flashback to when everyone was at the D-District Prison*
Irvine: They'll be fine. I'm sure they can get outta there when the time comes.

Rinoa: You don't know for sure. Squall might say 'but no one has ordered me to escape', and end up staying in there.

WildRaubtier
08-08-2013, 03:39 PM
yall are forgetting the single greatest stretch in the entire series

q5ns14DlL78

Synoptikal
08-09-2013, 06:50 AM
I dunno. Battle of the Gardens is pretty epic as well.

WildRaubtier
08-09-2013, 07:15 AM
Definitely. It doesn't beat getting hunted down by an invincible spiderbot though.

Synoptikal
08-09-2013, 08:20 AM
an invincible spiderbot

Quistis would have something to say about that.

WildRaubtier
08-09-2013, 01:31 PM
A MOSTLY INVINCIBLE SPIDERBOT

Lonely Paper Star
08-14-2013, 06:49 AM
FFVIII is my favorite. I'm such a fangirl about it.

I wanted to live in Garden. I loved the characters and their designs. And the music! I still get shivers when I hear Liberi Fatali (and hearing it live at Distant Worlds is just OMFG AMAZING). I loved the dialogue and the story.

And lol, the hot dogs:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lszqhjJecD1qeaxzzo1_500.png

http://31.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lszqhjJecD1qeaxzzo2_500.gif

gamewizzard16
08-18-2013, 07:40 PM
i love ff8 b/c it was my first ff game and it has a great story and awesome music

Ayen
10-07-2013, 01:33 AM
I love the story, the characters, the concept of the Gardens, SeeD, the locations like Dollet and Timber, Galbadia army, the GFs and a lot of the extra things you could do alongside the main plot. It was an enjoyable experience for me. I also love everything about the scene in disc 2 where you're preparing to battle Galbadia Garden.

Silent Warrior
10-07-2013, 04:26 AM
*Reads title* Uh-huh, then I shall dutifully sod off.

But I have to say that the credits music was smurfing glorious. The intro too, but particularly the ending. (The stuff in between, well, you can keep it. :p)

Mikeneko Rocker -- Tim
10-08-2013, 03:08 AM
Squall's emotional maturation is the reason why I got hooked into VIII.

jlenoconel
10-18-2013, 07:51 PM
I've almost completed this game, and although there were certain things I didn't enjoy, I would still say this is one of the best Final Fantasy games in the series. I think part of the problem with FF VIII is not learning the GF/junctioning/card game stuff early on. I was lazy and couldn't be bothered to do a lot of the stuff I should have been doing throughout the game. I learned mostly everything in disc 3 lol. I didn't play the card game until the very end. Anyway, I do think this is a decent entry in the series, and certainly better than XIII lol. I also happen to think Ultimecia is an underrated villain, and that the reason people don't like her is because they don't understand the concept of her character. I think she's one of the Japanese characters who are lost in translation to Westerners. She's awesomely evil though. I like my villains mysterious, it makes them more evil.

WhiteStorm
12-03-2013, 12:21 AM
- Squall, of course! :love:
- Best intro of any FF ever and the best graphics of the PSOne.
- The ending was gorgeous.
- One of the best soundtracks done by Nobuo Uematsu.
- I love the plot, sue me.
- The Ragnarok!
- Battle of the Gardens
- I love the GFs designs. Definitely one of the best in the entire series.
- Triple Triad is way better than freaking Blitzball, that's for sure!
- Gunblades are cool. Physically impossible, but cool.
- I like Irvine and Selphie, they're one of the cutest couples ever.
- Balamb Garden is awesome. Imagine attending classes there!
- The bosses.
- I have a love/hate relationship with the Junction System. It's cool, but it makes the game very easy. By disc 2 my entire party were clones of Superman and nothing could kill me.
- I really like Ultimecia & Edea's designs.
- Every time I play it I notice something new and I love that.

Black Magic Shopkeeper
12-03-2013, 10:08 PM
*AGGRESSIVELY POSTS BEAUTIFUL GIFS*

are those already on tumblr because I swear to God they look like they should be.
If so, link it so I can reblog.

Anyways, I can also say 8 was my first actual Final Fantasy.
(I THOUGHT that my first was FF Legends at the time, but then I found out that FFL isn't FF at all, and instead it's SaGa! Ugh, my brain...)
For the longest time, I remember my nick-name being Lunatic Pandora. Then I found out there were hundreds of other Lunatic Pandoras on the internet... *sigh*

Elskidor
12-03-2013, 11:34 PM
Great beginning and great ending
Lonely Paper Star's siggy
Squall was something different and I thought it worked out great.
Laguna is awesome!
Music!
The love story
Moombas

CarvingUp360
12-05-2013, 02:17 PM
It's my 2nd favorite Final Fantasy game AND one of my favorite games of all time because it was one of the first Final Fantasy games I've played, it was my childhood and it holds a close place to my heart. It has a great story, big open world, awesome line of characters in it, a unique battling system, and of course hot chicks :D

angelkelly
12-10-2013, 12:37 PM
Reasons I love FF8:
Beautiful summon cinematic
Romantic love story
Triple Triad
And lots of secrets that cannot be revealed in the 1st play.