PDA

View Full Version : Urban or Rural?

Laddy
05-01-2013, 06:03 PM
Which are you?

Flying Mullet
05-01-2013, 06:06 PM
Where I grew up, where I live, where I would like to end up or something else?

Too many things to think about!

Jinx
05-01-2013, 06:08 PM
xNPg30wddSw

Ouch!
05-01-2013, 06:11 PM
I intentionally moved to New York City. Take a wild guess.

Psychotic
05-01-2013, 06:11 PM
Fuck them both, suburbs for life.

Denmark
05-01-2013, 06:13 PM
8668AcOoEpY
(haha making this reference before sarah wakes up)

i've been rurr all my life. i'll be suburban in like 2 days. way to include all the options bro

Formalhaut
05-01-2013, 06:14 PM
I grew up in London, that's about as urban as you get. I've since moved down to Bournemouth, which is a town. It's nice actually, it's a large enough town, but there's lots of countryside around it so there's a bit of both which provides a good balance.

Shoeberto
05-01-2013, 06:17 PM
Rurr.

I've been living in an urban habitat for the past few years and it wears me out. Going to the country and seeing the green hills and woods is like a breath of fresh air. Living in a city is like being poisoned by carbon monoxide: debilitating at such a slow a pace as to be unnoticeable.

It's like a jungle sometimes. It makes me wonder how I keep from going under.

kotora
05-01-2013, 06:22 PM
Nature is all fine and nice to walk through but living rural is hell on earth. Can't decide if it's worse than the suburbs.

The city is full with life, there's always things happening. You're not surrounded by dumb fucking hicks all the time. Plus you get good internets so you can spend your entire day at home while endless possibilities are going by outside.

Pike
05-01-2013, 06:23 PM
Rural and it is 100% the way to go.

Cities are fun to visit but I don't know if I could ever live in one.

Slothy
05-01-2013, 06:27 PM
I've always thought that I wouldn't want to live in a rural area because getting somewhere to do something would be a pain in the ass. But the older I get, the less I seem to enjoy modern society, and the more I just want to live in the country in full on survivalist mode, living off the land and such. These days I'm torn between both (though I live in a small city) and it drives me crazy.

TrollHunter
05-01-2013, 06:29 PM
Rural all the way, i love me some nature living.
City environments drive me insane and give me sensory overload.

Chris
05-01-2013, 06:53 PM
I was practially raised in Copenhagen, Manila, and Paris, so I'm a street rat to the bone.

chionos
05-01-2013, 08:02 PM
Rural. I like my stars.

Slothy
05-01-2013, 08:07 PM
Rural. I like my stars.

It's very rare I'm in the country on a clear night, but god damn it is so much more beautiful than what we get even in the suburbs of a small city.

chionos
05-01-2013, 08:15 PM
I think a lot of people who grow up in town don't even understand how beautiful a clear night sky can be. Right now, I live on the outskirts of a very small community, and even here only the very brightest stars show.

I worked in St. George Utah several years ago and took several night trips into the mountains and the sky was just utterly amazing. Blew my mind. I really miss it.

Jinx
05-01-2013, 08:20 PM
I've lived in a town of 200 in the middle of nowhere, and I've lived 10 minutes from downtown.

I hate driving in cities.

I love both, honestly. But I guess I'm just more rural. I do appreciate the convenience of having everything you want and need right in front of you, though.

Rebellious Eagle
05-01-2013, 08:48 PM
I live in a suburb through and through. It's too big to be considered rural but way too small to be a city. But overall I prefer rural living. I like peace, quiet, and nature.

escobert
05-01-2013, 11:02 PM
I live in town but, I wouldn't consider town to be urban.

Pike
05-01-2013, 11:03 PM
Yeah same here.

I'm in a town of 30,000 people and I consider it rural.

I wouldn't ever want to go much bigger than that to be quite honest.

escobert
05-01-2013, 11:04 PM
wtf 30,000 is a city here!

I live in a town of about 5,000 people and it's a "bigger" town in Vermont xD

Pike
05-01-2013, 11:05 PM
wtf 30.000 is a city here

I live in a town of about 5,000 people and it's a "bigger" town in Vermont xD

Oh it's a city here too, trust me, it's the fourth biggest city in my state.

I like Montana we have an average of seven people per square mile

Denmark
05-01-2013, 11:08 PM
if your hometown has its own wikipedia page it's too big

mine's mentioned in a subsection of a wikipedia page

now that's some small-town elitism (technically i'm from a "hamlet")

Pike
05-01-2013, 11:10 PM
if your hometown has its own wikipedia page it's too big

mine's mentioned in a subsection of a wikipedia page

now that's some small-town elitism (technically i'm from a "hamlet")

I like Montana we have an average of seven people per square mile

You all can eat my population density elitism :colbert:

chionos
05-01-2013, 11:15 PM
My entire county is less than 30k people.

Pike
05-01-2013, 11:19 PM

My entire state is sub-one million

And my state is three times the size of England

:smug:

Calliope
05-01-2013, 11:27 PM
Give me enough public transport that I don't need to drive, give me art galleries and galas, give me graffiti and stadiums, give me festivals, upscale dining, markets, back-alleys, underground music and ridiculously specialized bookstores - and then surround the periphery with stunning scenery and access to the pristine outdoors, including snow, beaches and forests.

chionos
05-01-2013, 11:30 PM
Give me enough public transport that I don't need to drive, give me art galleries and galas, give me graffiti and stadiums, give me festivals, upscale dining, markets, back-alleys, underground music and ridiculously specialized bookstores - and then surround the periphery with stunning scenery and access to the pristine outdoors, including snow, beaches and forests.

Stop making it sound so awesome. :p

Pike
05-01-2013, 11:34 PM

This sounds like where I live except for the beaches thing.

Edit: Okay we only have one stadium.

Aulayna
05-01-2013, 11:48 PM
Urban. I don't drive so rural is just inconvenient for me.

Although to be fair most places I've lived (even London) have a general mixture of urbanness and ruralness. London has some pretty immense and beautiful parks for example.]

I do have a thing for seaside towns though having spent some of my earlier years in Great Yarmouth. Dunno what it is, there's just something about seagulls and sea air that relaxes me.

Unbreakable Will
05-02-2013, 12:55 AM
I live in Tennessee. 'nuff said.

:shoot:

fire_of_avalon
05-02-2013, 02:54 AM
I think mine is still less than 20k.

Rural. Before age 10 my address was RR Box 96-1. We didn't even have a road name. And it was dirt.

NorthernChaosGod
05-02-2013, 05:57 AM
Wtf is the suburbs option? I live in the eighth largest city in the USA, but in the suburbs, dammit.

chionos
05-02-2013, 06:01 AM
I think mine is still less than 20k.

Rural. Before age 10 my address was RR Box 96-1. We didn't even have a road name. And it was dirt.

Yeah, but did you call it a holler.

Shorty
05-02-2013, 07:08 AM

Coffee shops, records stores, parks-in-the-city, state fairgrounds, ten Chinese places within a five block radius, over-priced bakeries, lights lights lights lights lights ad signs lights lights lights, taxis, concert venues and being conveniently located for bands to play, parades, book signings by your favorite authors, the public celebration of any holiday whatsoever (St. Patty's Day, Mardi Gras and Cinco de Mayo - ie, the fun ones), going to Safeway at midnight to get a cherry coke, getting out of a late night movie and going to get ice cream or donuts because those places are still open and the ability to get a sandwich or order pizza anywhere at 2am.

Urban.

The Summoner of Leviathan
05-02-2013, 08:01 AM
Born rural, now live urban. :D

chionos
05-02-2013, 08:27 AM
book signings by your favorite authors

Ouch. That one hurts. I have to travel a couple hours to get to anything writerly of significance, and even Lex. itself doesn't have the kind of community I wish it had.

Mirage
05-02-2013, 08:52 AM
I like cities and I live in one now. I did however grow up in a place that was too small for us to even have a street name.

Yerushalmi
05-02-2013, 09:05 AM
Urban. Definitely urban.

I want to be able to pop out of the house at midnight or later to buy some popcorn at the corner grocery store. I want to live far, far away from the nearest godforsaken pollen-producing organism so I can breathe between March and May. I want to live far, far away from the nearest biting or stinging insects. I want to hop on a bus or subway that takes me straight from where I am to where I'm going. I want action, noise, new things happening all the time, lots of people around to become friends with and upon whom you can depend to bring vital skills with them in the event of a zombie apocalypse. Urban all the way.

The stars are a drawback, though. Terrible shame. Meteor showers when you can actually see them are beautiful.

Night Fury
05-02-2013, 10:35 AM
I love city living because it's so lively and active and busy! You can walk down the street and nobody gives a fuck. In my hometown, you walk down the street and everyone knows you. Or they talk to you, in the city they don't and I like that.

Pike
05-02-2013, 10:39 AM
85% of the things you Urban folks are talking about are available in my Rural hometown.

Feels good man :cool:

Værn
05-02-2013, 10:49 AM
Yeah same here.

I'm in a town of 30,000 people and I consider it rural.

I live in a village of less than 1,400 and I consider your city to be a vast metropolis in comparison.

Loony BoB
05-02-2013, 11:28 AM
Suburban is still urban as far as I'm concerned, and I'm definitely urban. I like having everything on my doorstep. I do love nature, but you can't have both, and I convenience is something I enjoy all too much. I want to have my high speed broadband internet, all the shops I need, cinema complexes, a variety of restaurants, parks, competing supermarkets with all the obscure crap I could ever need, various takeaways etc. all nearby.

EDIT: Pike, I would consider a town with 30,000 people to be urban. Rural is more... villages, hamlets, farms etc.

Yerushalmi
05-02-2013, 11:32 AM
Suburban is rural as far as I'm concerned. I suffered greatly from the suburbs in which I grew up. There's no convenience.

Pike
05-02-2013, 11:39 AM
EDIT: Pike, I would consider a town with 30,000 people to be urban. Rural is more... villages, hamlets, farms etc.

But that's all we are. Farms, cows, people riding horses, clear skies with a view of the Milky Way galaxy every night. There's just a lot of us in one spot because there's nothing else for like 300 miles in any direction. I mean literally nothing else, it's all wild animals and stuff.

I live in a village of less than 1,400 and I consider your city to be a vast metropolis in comparison.

Your entire state is unfathomably high-populated to me. So there.

Loony BoB
05-02-2013, 11:48 AM

But that's all we are. Farms, cows, people riding horses, clear skies with a view of the Milky Way galaxy every night. There's just a lot of us in one spot because there's nothing else for like 300 miles in any direction. I mean literally nothing else, it's all wild animals and stuff.
Yeah, but if you have all the things that an urban location has, then you're living in an urban location. :p You might not have the standard urban culture (well, if it's a farming town, I'm going by assumption :p), but the urban status is plastered all over any area that has high speed broadband, more than one McDonalds, more than one cinema screen, something like 2,000 people per square mile, roads with more than four lanes, 24 hour shops... I guess that's just how I see the real difference when deciding what kind of lifestyle you want. Rural for me means sacrificing what you get in urban locations such as those things I just mentioned. If you already have all these things, then how are you not urban? xD

Also, saying you live in a state with less than one million people... well, I used to live in a country of less than four million people. But I still accept that the city I lived in was most definitely urban. ;)

Come to the urban side, Pike. Look in your heart, you know it to be true.

Yerushalmi
05-02-2013, 11:48 AM
Anything with under 70,000 people is not worth living in. I currently live in a city with over 800,000, and the last place I lived had 8,000,000.

Pike
05-02-2013, 11:52 AM
Yeah, but if you have all the things that an urban location has, then you're living in an urban location. :p You might not have the standard urban culture (well, if it's a farming town, I'm going by assumption :p), but the urban status is plastered all over any area that has high speed broadband, more than one McDonalds, more than one cinema screen, something like 2,000 people per square mile, roads with more than four lanes, 24 hour shops... I guess that's just how I see the real difference when deciding what kind of lifestyle you want. Rural for me means sacrificing what you get in urban locations such as those things I just mentioned. If you already have all these things, then how are you not urban? xD

I dunno man. I once lived in a town with population 1200 for a couple of years - no one owned less than like three acres of land, EVERYONE was a farmer, people rode horses to school - and we still had all that stuff.

Maybe it has to do with being in a different country. Or state. Or something.

Loony BoB
05-02-2013, 11:56 AM
You can't live in a town of 1,200 people and have 2,000 people per square mile. ;) I think I would definitely call a town of 1,200 people 'rural'.

Pike
05-02-2013, 12:01 PM
You can't live in a town of 1,200 people and have 2,000 people per square mile. ;) I think I would definitely call a town of 1,200 people 'rural'.

Still, no difference between that and where I currently live, except for the number of people. I guess we have a Target. :gator:

I dunno, to me it has to do with isolation. If I want to get to a place with over one million people in it I have to drive nonstop for twelve hours. Hell, I have to do that to get to a place with over 100,000 people in it.

Loony BoB
05-02-2013, 12:13 PM

Still, no difference between that and where I currently live, except for the number of people. I guess we have a Target. :gator:

I dunno, to me it has to do with isolation. If I want to get to a place with over one million people in it I have to drive nonstop for twelve hours. Hell, I have to do that to get to a place with over 100,000 people in it.
Isolation is one thing, but if you have everything an urban location has within a few minute's drive, I'd say you're not very isolated at all. You could argue that Las Vegas is isolated if you go by how long it takes to get to a bigger city. ;)

Rural for me means "What do you mean, McDonalds is shut and the local Chinese doesn't deliver to this address?"

I think I agree with most of this: Difference Between Urban and Rural | Difference Between | Urban vs Rural (http://www.differencebetween.net/miscellaneous/difference-between-urban-and-rural/)

*looks up Target*

Pike
05-02-2013, 12:14 PM
*looks up Target*

It's where I work xD

Yerushalmi
05-02-2013, 12:21 PM

Sure you can. The Vatican, after all, has two popes per square kilometer.

Loony BoB
05-02-2013, 12:27 PM
If you live where I think you live, you're not even rural according to China.

Also, man, I always find it really weird whenever I come across a company that does so insanely well in America but has barely set foot in other countries (apparently Target only arrived in Canada in 2011 and that's it?). Usually American companies are so... global.

Night Fury
05-02-2013, 12:32 PM
Also, one thing that I LOVE about Newcastle is how proud people are to be from Newcastle. All the people I've met at Uni from around the country have commented on it too. Geordies fucking LOVE Newcastle. It's an amazing city and it's truly home to me, my heart will always be in Newcastle no matter where in the world I am.

Pike
05-02-2013, 12:33 PM
It's because Target is actually a really good company and they want to focus on that rather than going full Wal-Mart and expanding quickly at the cost of losing what makes them good.

Loony BoB
05-02-2013, 12:45 PM
Also, one thing that I LOVE about Newcastle is how proud people are to be from Newcastle. All the people I've met at Uni from around the country have commented on it too. Geordies smurfing LOVE Newcastle. It's an amazing city and it's truly home to me, my heart will always be in Newcastle no matter where in the world I am.
Whenever Danielle goes there she comes back with the accent, so I'm keen to see if her accent will change when you're around. =]

Mirage
05-02-2013, 01:38 PM
I grew up in a village with a population of 300. Your move, show me how rural you are.

My current city isn't exactly a metropolis, but at least there's more than 100k living here.

Pike
05-02-2013, 01:55 PM
w/e, I didn't mean for this thread to turn into a pissing contest and I'm sorry if I made it so it was xD

Honestly there should be an option for "Small city" because I think there's a huge difference between living in a small city and living in one with millions of people.

And I would never live in one with millions of people for the record. Even 100,000 is too big for me.

Mirage
05-02-2013, 01:57 PM
I think the 140k of my city is just perfect. If you live in the outskirts of it, it's almost like rural living, except it's just 15 minutes by car to get to dozens of stores and restaurants. There's also not a lot of crime in small cities like these, at least not in Norwayland.

Pike
05-02-2013, 02:00 PM
I like where my city is at currently with the 30k. Nice and cozy :)

Jinx
05-02-2013, 03:58 PM
BoB, you don't understand Midwest cities, is all. I'm with Pike on this one.

I live in Kansas City, but I've lived in a rural part of Kansas City and the suburbs. And then there's the urban part. Kansas City has 150k people. Wait, before you start rearing up to argue, you need to understand that Kansas City covers 391 square miles of land. Everything is spread out. Just because there's a lot of people, it doesn't mean they're close together in any way.

30k people REALLY isn't that much. And considering Bozeman is a rural/farming area, you've got to take into account that the majority of people are living spread out from one another, and in some cases, might live a mile or two away from anyone else.

Pumpkin
05-02-2013, 04:13 PM
Rural. As long as I can get to a town when I need too. It would be nice for my son to have a large yard to play with and be near a small town where people know each other. It's nice to see the stars and actually have quiet at night and to go for walks in the yard and see deer and possums. If I have a dog he can play outside with less worry of getting hit by a car. He can go play and get much needed exercise without having to go to a designated dog park or really long walks a few times a day. It would be nice to have privacy and freedom from living in a house that isn't in a neighborhood where they tell you what you can and can't do to the house that you own. It would be nice to not live directly next to someone where they can look out of their window and see into yours or listen to your conversations when you're outside.

Madame Adequate
05-02-2013, 04:24 PM

That's what she said :smug:

Anyway yeah I don't like full-on 'village of 112 people and one goat' rural, but anything that's small town or bigger I'm perfectly happy with. I'm as happy in Newtownards (about 12,000 people IIRC) as I am in New York City.

Pike
05-02-2013, 04:27 PM
Newtownards (about 12,000 people IIRC)

Newtownards is the size of Bozeman, my dear.

And it's very cute. It's like Bozeman but with better accents.

Madame Adequate
05-02-2013, 04:29 PM
You're right, I had looked at households by accident, not population. Newtownards is about 28k people.

Yes you can? It it's 3/5 of a square mile that's exactly the population density you would have. :colbert:

Also you guys really aren't grasping just how far Bozeman is from anywhere that isn't Bozeman. Newtownards is a small town of roughly 28,000 people, but it's half an hour to Belfast, which has like 650,000 people and is a sizable city with all the amenities you'd expect. Bozeman has stuff within itself but the nearest city of half a million is 710 miles away in the form of Seattle. Denver's a little further but you don't need to go through the Rockies so it's slightly quicker to drive to. Anyway although Bozeman's certainly large town/small city there's an important difference because the nearest major metropolitan areas are enormously far away, whereas even if you live in Pissville, Maine it's impossible to be that far from a city (although admittedly if you're in Caribou it's still a long goddamn way to Portland, ME).

I don't entirely agree with Pike's definition of Bozeman as rural, but I think it's more rural than urban and it's surrounded in every direction by hundreds of miles of either farmland or wilderness, except for a few towns of equal size.

Mirage
05-02-2013, 04:32 PM
I want to make a joke city that has the population density of tokyo, while only having a population of 1000 people or so.

Pike
05-02-2013, 04:35 PM
Actually I have to retract my prior statements about population because apparently my town's population increased by like 30% in the last ten years so :shobon:

I want to make a joke city that has the population density of tokyo, while only having a population of 1000 people or so.

MAGNASANTI

NTJQTc-TqpU

Slothy
05-02-2013, 04:37 PM

So like an apartment building then?

Madame Adequate
05-02-2013, 04:46 PM
Ho ho, you folks are in for a treat:

Kowloon Walled City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon_walled_city)

Pike
05-02-2013, 04:50 PM

Kowloon Walled City - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kowloon_walled_city)

the Walled City had a population density of approximately 1,255,000 inhabitants per square kilometre (3,250,000 /sq mi) in 1987.

Well shit.

The Summoner of Leviathan
05-02-2013, 04:53 PM
The city where I went to school as a kid was still a city with a population of 7k. I come from a rather ridiculously rural area by the standards here. Then again, my parents' address has the provincial highway in it. :/

Bunny
05-02-2013, 10:33 PM
I grew up in several different cities, but the primary two where I spent most of my time had roughly 50,000 and 100,000 people in it. The city I live in now has closer to 150,000 people (though it seems significantly smaller to me). I prefer moderately populated cities (like where I grew up) to what I consider to be overpopulated ones (San Diego, which I was about 15 minutes outside of, or Denver, which is about an hour away).

I lived in the Suburbs at one point and it was terrible. I lived in a rural town for about 6 months or so (populate slightly more than 1,500) and it was nice but has some significant drawbacks - chief among them being it takes for fucking ever to get anywhere you want to go.

~*~Celes~*~
05-02-2013, 11:41 PM
i lived in the suburbs for 12 years, and i miss it. We had a nice sized yard, quiet neighborhood, good school district, and we lived close enough to the city that we only had to drive about 15 minutes, give or take, to get to the store. And we had a 7-11 right in our neighborhood, though they got rid of their gas pumps about a year or two before we moved away which was a major inconvenience.

Some of my fondest childhood memories include riding my bike to that 7-11 for slurpies, big league bubblegum, and pokemon cards, and the festivals we had during this time of year :) I would love to live in the suburbs again, however, i am currently stuck in the city and while it is nice that we have so many restaurants so close to home and we have nice neighbors, i am not a fan of the houses being so close together, the fact that not every house has a driveway (it makes the streets hard to get through during busy traffic times because there's a lot of parking in the street and the streets aren't as wide as they should be), and people drive like idiots in this city. Where I lived before, it was rare for someone to cut you off or speed up and make it nearly impossible for you to merge into traffic on the express way. Out here....every day i swear we barely dodge getting into accidents, and it's not my husband that's a bad driver.

I loved being able to go in our yard on days like today and just sit and enjoy the breeze and sunshine and it would be so peaceful with the birds chirping and dogs barking in the distance. I just don't have that same peacefulness anymore :(

escobert
05-02-2013, 11:41 PM
There are only two traffic lights, 0 mcdonalds, 0 movie theaters, 0 big box stores in my town so I would most defiantly consider it rural
wiki says there's 192.1 people per square mile
Windsor, Vermont - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor,_Vermont)

Iceglow
05-02-2013, 11:42 PM
I was born and raised in London, some 611sq miles and well in 2001 it numbered over 7 million citizens, 12 years later it's likely to be some 10 million plus and at a high density (somewhere in the region taking in to account population growth, 5000 plus per square kilometer. Growing up in the biggest city in Europe has some major advantages, I'm rarely lost in urban situations as I'm used to navigating my way around the maze that is London.

As I get older I find myself pushing myself further and further away from Central London. I'm now living and working betweens zones 3 and 6 (divisions on the public transport maps) of South London I'm essentially living in Surrey (though a little misleading as Greater London has consumed segments of all counties around the London region) and there's a lot of open land and parks. I always keep saying that one day I'll wind up going "screw this" and like move to Tennessee or somewhere equally as rural.

Pike
05-02-2013, 11:51 PM
You know what I hate the most about big cities? Traffic. I missed my scheduled flight back to the States and had to wait an extra day because we were stuck in the same spot in traffic for like two hours on our way to Heathrow.

Mirage
05-02-2013, 11:54 PM
Get a motorcycle and zigzag between all the cars.

kotora
05-02-2013, 11:54 PM

If only it was still around for me to witness :(

Iceglow
05-03-2013, 12:34 AM
You know what I hate the most about big cities? Traffic. I missed my scheduled flight back to the States and had to wait an extra day because we were stuck in the same spot in traffic for like two hours on our way to Heathrow.

Generally speaking, screw getting to Heathrow by car. That's worse than suicide. For Heathrow you use the public transport system, the tube will get you from Central - Heathrow inside of 45 mins. From somewhere in SW London such as Earls Court, 20 mins or less, not to mention the mainline shuttle services. Much can be said in general of all of the main UK Airports but for Standstead and Heathrow, it's not just a recommendation it's almost an imperative. As you found out.

Shiny
05-03-2013, 07:13 PM
The burbs is where I'm from, but I prefer rural. It's quiet and there are lakes. I do like urban when I want to have fun hopping around places. Depends on my mood I guess.