PDA

View Full Version : Tenchu

Aulayna
05-02-2013, 12:14 AM
Oddly whilst making that Shenmue thread (http://home.eyesonff.com/general-gaming-discussion/149872-shenmue-objectively-one-best-dreamcast-games.html) I realised the name sounded like Tenchu.

Did anyone play this little gem back in the PSone's golden days. Stealthing around with your smoke bombs and going stabby. It was almost like Assassin's Creed but in 32-bit sharp edged blocky polygonal form. It was good stuff!

Skyblade
05-02-2013, 03:34 AM
Honestly, I remember it being a lot more fun than Assassin's Creed. It was more focused on stealth and assassinations, which is AC's strong point, but not its focus.

However, going back to play it, I find it nearly unplayable. The controls on the PS1 are so clunky and ungainly compared to what I'm used to these days, it feels so clumsy and unpolished by comparison. Good game, but it didn't age well.

Besides, I've found a new stealth ninja game that's even better. Mark of the Assassin.

WEEcEbzpII0

While we're on the topic of Tenchu, after all, we can't forget that pretty much every sequel was horrible.

Pete for President
05-02-2013, 08:29 AM
YES! YES! Tenchu > Assassin's Creed any day.

"Lord Ghoda expects much of you".

While we're on the topic of Tenchu, after all, we can't forget that pretty much every sequel was horrible.

Hold on now, Tenchu 2 was pretty crazy amazing. It had a credible plot and characters, pretty well done storytelling, the awesome mission editor, unique missions for each character and Tatsumarus campaign as a hidden unlockable. LOVED THAT.

A few weeks ago I was actually scoping ebay for a copy of Tenchu 2. I would love to play through it again, even if it has clunky controls and a slim-to-none draw distance.

Tenchu 3 and onwards, you're correct about those sequels going downhill. I still played 3 for countless hours, because the town missions were actually really good and I liked the hidden swords. Those robots demons ghosts and zombies ruined it for me.