PDA

View Full Version : XBox 720 prototype accessory - IllumiRoom

Flying Mullet
05-02-2013, 03:17 PM
sJ4hWa6y710

Not sure if anyone has seen this, it's a possible accessory to the XBox 720 that's in prototype mode right now. It allows game developers to augment reality in the room you're playing your game in. I imagine we could have some pretty creative uses for this.

I'm not much for the newer games anymore but this could convince me to pick up a XBox 720 if done right.

chionos
05-02-2013, 03:45 PM
Looks like something that will have bigger implications than just what it can do for the 720. Seems pretty amazing, really. I just wonder if it will be something that has customization options for the user or if everything will come pre-programmed.

Slothy
05-02-2013, 04:47 PM
It's an interesting idea, but I think that's all it would be to me for now. As it was, things like expanding the field of view looked like complete unwatchable ass while the less detailed effects or effect which worked with the rooms objects and geometry looked a bit better. I really couldn't see myself using this unless I either had a flat white wall to project onto (in which case, why do I need the TV at all?) or they keep experimenting and come up with something that didn't make my eyes want to bleed when it was actually doing something useful.

Flying Mullet
05-02-2013, 04:48 PM
I did enjoy the falling snow effect. :)

DanielCLFFF13
05-02-2013, 04:52 PM
can I join? I'm just confused why Final Fantasy versus 13 not out on xbox.

Madame Adequate
05-02-2013, 05:10 PM
DanielCLFFF13, you are very welcome to join Eyes on Final Fantasy and talk about anything related to FF, but this is not the right thread for questions about FF13. The forum you want is this one: Final Fantasy Versus XIII (http://home.eyesonff.com/final-fantasy-versus-xiii/) Have a look and see if there's already a thread about your question and if not, go ahead and make one!

But you may also want to step into the Wonder Square (http://home.eyesonff.com/wonder-square/) to make a welcome thread saying hello! There are lots of helpful people here and we'll all be happy to answer any questions you've got.

Now, to the topic at hand: This does look like it might be interesting but I'm not sold on it yet. I want to see it doing more than just projecting onto my wall; I can just get a regular projector for that! It's admittedly doing it in a very interesting way and I can imagine there is potential here, but I want to see it before I'd get one.

DanielCLFFF13
05-02-2013, 05:18 PM
Sorry I'm new here. This is about xbox 720? But which is better? XBOX 720 or PS4? Thank You

Flying Mullet
05-02-2013, 05:26 PM
Only time will tell.

However, both are better than the Dreamcast.

HasteInTime
05-02-2013, 06:10 PM
The Illumiroom is a device like the Kinect aka PJ Natal that has on-board motors, cameras, Geo Sensors, and a whole slew of other on-board features, its primary goal and purpose of course is to offer a larger field of view to the player and immerse that player in deep depth, rich detail, and offer other ways to interact in video games. No matter the room size.

I've been following the news pretty closely since I have a Twitter (https://twitter.com/HasteInTime) page and churn (tweet) out the News meta style from all over the net. So while I like this idea, so far it mostly looks like a pretty light-show. One can by now if you have seen everything would conclude that you would need to create a room just for this thing to work 100% and because of that may or may not be the most feasible to everyone. It's a device that sells to the core gamer that has the space for this kind of setup. If you have a designated room for gaming on a projector set like the Optima Game-Time Projector E-750 (for example), this will create a complete immersion experience that no other company so far has right now.

I'm waiting to hear more before I say; "yes I'll buy that!" so you may put me on "undecided" for now.