PDA

View Full Version : RWBY

JenkinsHTTK
05-03-2013, 12:13 AM
Sooooooo....

Anyone know of this series yet?

RWBY "Red" Trailer - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYW2GmHB5xs)

You will thank me, mortals.

Unbreakable Will
05-03-2013, 01:31 AM
That was thoroughly entertaining, thanks for sharing! I'm going to watch the other trailers now!

:excited:

Agent Proto
05-03-2013, 02:11 AM
Holy shit. That was bloody awesome. Pardon the pun.

fire_of_avalon
05-03-2013, 02:47 AM
I think this would be happier in The Lounge. :)

That was a pretty good video, although I always get sad when wolves are portrayed as bad dudes. I will probably watch the others soon.

JenkinsHTTK
05-03-2013, 03:03 AM
You guys need to see Monty's other work, but ya, first things first

Which one of the girls are your favorite thus far?

Agent Proto
05-03-2013, 03:27 AM
I've watched them all (minus Yellow, because that's apparently coming out next month), and I was only disappointed a little with Black, mainly because of her voice acting. It could have been better. However, everything else was just awesome. I think I like Red the most.

JenkinsHTTK
05-03-2013, 03:32 AM
I've watched them all (minus Yellow, because that's apparently coming out next month), and I was only disappointed a little with Black, mainly because of her voice acting. It could have been better. However, everything else was just awesome. I think I like Red the most.
Literally everyone i have ever showed these trailers to have said that.

And i must agree, hopefully they iron out the kinks on release days.

Agent Proto
05-03-2013, 03:37 AM
It really does look very beautiful. Is this a game or just a series? I'll have to do some further research to find out more.

Unbreakable Will
05-03-2013, 04:23 AM
Red was definitely my favorite, followed closely by Black because of the awesome iaijutsu samurai dude.

JenkinsHTTK
05-03-2013, 04:44 AM
It really does look very beautiful. Is this a game or just a series? I'll have to do some further research to find out more.

It is a series, gonna start around June i believe, or at least yellow is going to be revealed

Red was definitely my favorite, followed closely by Black because of the awesome iaijutsu samurai dude.

Everyone i have ever shown the vids to said that the voice acting in the black trailer killed the characters to them, so this is a surprise.

Unbreakable Will
05-03-2013, 04:58 AM

Everyone i have ever shown the vids to said that the voice acting in the black trailer killed the characters to them, so this is a surprise.
I didn't particularly mind the voice acting overmuch, I watch bad or subbed anime all the time so the voices are a secondary for me at times. The use of iaijutsu and Black's whip were so well done that I hardly paid attention to the dialogue in the first place.

krissy
05-03-2013, 05:21 AM
i wasn't expecting much at first but monty oum is good at what he does
i wonder what he uses for modeling and animating
blender maybe?

Lonely Paper Star
05-03-2013, 07:41 AM
All the ones released so far were pretty awesome, but I'm leaning towards White as my favorite, because left-handedness and rapier. :3

Skyblade
05-03-2013, 08:47 PM
Black definitely would have been better silent, the way the first two were.

Monty's combat choreography is always fun to watch, so it'll depend on writing and voice acting how this goes (though Rooster Teeth definitely has the talent for it, I need to figure out what happened to RvB).

It's a shame he still hasn't finished Dead Fantasy though.

JenkinsHTTK
05-05-2013, 04:29 PM
Black definitely would have been better silent, the way the first two were.

Monty's combat choreography is always fun to watch, so it'll depend on writing and voice acting how this goes (though Rooster Teeth definitely has the talent for it, I need to figure out what happened to RvB).

It's a shame he still hasn't finished Dead Fantasy though.

Im sure the voice acting is going to get better, perhaps the black trailer was testing out the water and im sure they're going to iron out the kinks when release comes.

While i do agree that the fact that he hasn't worked on Dead Fantasy to be a real shame, I'm happy to see him devoting his time to original projects

Skyblade
06-05-2013, 03:46 AM
No one was interested enough to check out the Yellow trailer?

Between Yellow and Black though, I have to say that the voice direction does seem a bit off. It doesn't quite match the style of the rest of the work.

Unbreakable Will
06-05-2013, 05:09 AM
No one was interested enough to check out the Yellow trailer?

Between Yellow and Black though, I have to say that the voice direction does seem a bit off. It doesn't quite match the style of the rest of the work.
Just watched it, I thought it was pretty kickass. :kakapo:

Mercen-X
06-25-2013, 04:39 AM
Gun Fu in the extreme. I would have to guess Yellow waltzed into that bar looking to pick a fight. But then it is her debut so MO's got to show off her badass (pun intended).

Skyblade
07-22-2013, 01:25 PM
And Episode 1 (http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?sid=rwby&v=more) is available.

Important things to take from this episode:

If you rob a weapon store, be prepared for someone to fight back.
Red geeks out about becoming a hero.
Welcome to Balamb Garden.

Lonely Paper Star
07-23-2013, 10:30 AM
This series actually slipped my mind for a while. I saw the yellow trailer yesterday and my only complaint was the voice acting. Now I'm about to watch episode 1.

I also really, really want the soundtrack.

Unbreakable Will
07-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Loved the first episode, I hope the series is going to be good and I'm in love with the soundtrack. :love:

Mercen-X
07-24-2013, 01:33 AM
God, that site is useless.

Looks/sounds as if a second team could be named AMBR for a team composed of Amber, Mauve, Burgundy, and Rose.[1] (http://rwby.wikia.com/wiki/Thread:8047)

My personal guess is that since RWBY is composed of character names derived of untraditional words for colors, or in Yang's case, barely related at all. The M could be Malva, Mallow, Mauveine, Magenta, or even Marge (short form of Margaret which means pearl). Burgundy could just as easily be Blood/Blud or Brick (the B is likely a male anyway)... can't think of anything else... Burn? Blaze?

Of course team RWBY is named according to their hair color (like the unique URTVs of Xenosaga who were the basis for my ten-man cell). The other team shown in the RWBY Opening has a blonde guy. It's possible then that his name could be Amber or Ember. However, this leaves the second male unexplained. The above proposition derives of several pins made available at a conference, but the second male has black hair.

Skyblade
07-31-2013, 10:25 PM
Ruby is so adorkable! It's awesome. This is a fun, cute little show.

It's weird though, I'm not used to following shows as they're actually coming out, usually I'm either watching things like Top Gear, which have no plot, or catching things on DVD. I hate waiting to find out what happens next.

Mercen-X
08-01-2013, 08:48 AM
I finally managed to watch the first episode... and the second episode. Hopefully their length is not a sign of things to come. I sincerely hope that the first two episodes were actually meant to be connected.

I can't believe they Jon of Arc a guy. As I speculated, I think these kids are "heirs to the throne" as it were. Also, Ruby mentions her uncle Crow whom I think is actually Oz's Scarecrow. While allusions from Ruby, Weiss, and Blake are easy to see, I don't really know who Yang represents (could be Sleeping Beauty or Goldie Locks or any number of blonde girls... Miss Muffet).

Skyblade
08-03-2013, 06:28 PM
I finally managed to watch the first episode... and the second episode. Hopefully their length is not a sign of things to come. I sincerely hope that the first two episodes were actually meant to be connected.

I can't believe they Jon of Arc a guy. As I speculated, I think these kids are "heirs to the throne" as it were. Also, Ruby mentions her uncle Crow whom I think is actually Oz's Scarecrow. While allusions from Ruby, Weiss, and Blake are easy to see, I don't really know who Yang represents (could be Sleeping Beauty or Goldie Locks or any number of blonde girls... Miss Muffet).

And Episode 3 is out, which is listed as "The Shining Beacon: Part 2", while Episode 2 was "Part 1". So I guess they're too short for even RT to consider them full episodes.

While length is a problem, at least they're coming out quickly.

Jiro
08-08-2013, 07:55 PM
So I watched that first trailer and lol it's ridiculous but so awesome. You can put guns in any weapon now, I guess, but a gun-scythe has to be one of the more interesting combinations. I might have to get stuck into this!

Mercen-X
09-10-2013, 09:13 PM
Rooster Teeth · RWBY Episode 6 (http://www.crunchyroll.com/rwby/episode-6-the-emerald-forest-643667)
Rooster Teeth · RWBY Episode 8 (http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=8040&v=trending)

Questions have arisen as to whether Glinda is somehow related to that witch on the chopper. I doubt it... she apparently wears glass slippers (at least they clink like glass) which is just a bag of mixed messages. Her design contains a lot of diamonds (earrings, anklet, the sleeves of her dress) and she has a tattoo that looks like a pair of wings outlining a heart. Her dress is red and her hair is black and she wears a choker. Not that any of this necessarily offers any hint as to her inspiration as I don't really see any allusions in Glinda's design that would hint at Glinda of Oz.

There's a lot of speculation about the characters' correlation to fairytales. Ruby (RRH) and Weiss (Snow) seem blunt enough. Blake Belladonna is believed to be the Beauty to Adam's Beast. Also reflects heavily on the Thief's Apprentice. Yang (Goldilocks). Melanie and Miltiades from the same trailer are thought to be included to either represent the Rose Red/Snow White alternate fairy tale or the characters Odette and Odile (identical twins from Swan Lake) but Miltia is in fact the original design for Weiss.

In the first episode, we have Roman Torchwick, an expy of Candlewick/Lampwick from Pinocchio though he looks a helluva lot like Alex from A Clockwork Orange. Glynda Goodwitch and Ozpin are freakin' obvious. The crimson dress has been suggested to be Cinderella due only to the "glass" slippers. She could be Theodora (Wicked Witch of the West) or Evanora/Dorothy (both wearers of the Silver/Ruby Slippers). I ignored the initial look of recognition Glynda gives the witch and speculated she could be a genderbend of Jafar who also dresses in red (mostly black but switches to red as a genie) and wields fire. It was laughed off by some until I reminded that vomit-boy was a genderbend. It is suspected that his team is composed of genderbends: Nora Valkyrie, Pyrrha Nikos, and Ren are thought to be genderbends of Thor, Ares, and Hua Mulan respectively.

There are two new characters in Episode 4 not officially introduced (neither named nor voiced) but shown in full-detail. I've named them has a mohawk and wears attire that is moss-green and the other full-armor if minus a helmet and gloves. The eagle on his armor makes me think Galahad from Arthurian legend. (both also seem to lack weapons). Of course, it's possible these characters are the first of many designed but unnamed characters whose only purpose is to be some kind of driving force (a la damsel) or obstacle (e.g. the load (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TheLoad)) for the four mains and four minors.

Episode 5 has recently supplied the characters' first encounter with the newly designed Beowolves whom I'm hoping are only a secondary type because I much prefer the Beowolves featured in Ruby's Red trailer... may just be me.

I've officially begun to compare Jaune Arc to Naruto Uzumaki.

Jiro
09-11-2013, 12:05 PM
The voices are still irking me but it's going well.

Skyblade
09-24-2013, 05:41 AM
I've gotten over the voices.

I also find myself not caring about whatever storybook connections they have or whatever. I'll worry about those when it's clear, I'm not going to try to puzzle them out right now.

I'm just enjoying it for its face value. And it is so much fun.

sharkythesharkdogg
09-24-2013, 06:30 PM
I totally forgot about Monty. Has he finally wrapped up Dead Fantasy? I've been waiting on that.

Skyblade
09-24-2013, 06:37 PM
I totally forgot about Monty. Has he finally wrapped up Dead Fantasy? I've been waiting on that.

To my knowledge he's stopped working on it, but it never really wrapped up.

Mercen-X
10-16-2013, 07:04 AM
So, we're up to Episode 13 (http://roosterteeth.com/archive/?id=8185) now, leaving just five episodes until the season finale. Obviously, four of those episodes, like the norm, will be two-parters, beginning with Forever Fall, Pt. 2. We've been introduced to a third team, witnessed a sixth Grimm, two teachers, our first Faunus, seen Cardin's weapon, heard Russel's voice, learnt Jaune's dark secret, and then... we learn that Blake's forest is called Forever Fall which contains a syrupy substance in its trees that will attract nasty stinging insects.

So far, we have yet to see any character development for Blake or Yang or even Pyrrha who seems to be riding Jaune's developmental coattails. We have yet to see character development for Cardin or to hear his cronies speak more than a word or see their weapons or see them featured apart from their bastard leader. We have yet to see if the token Faunus Velvet Scarlatina is the only Faunus at Beacon or whether she is part of a team and if so why she was alone in class and in the cafeteria. We haven't seen any character development for Ren or Nora although no one really was expecting any at this point in the series. Finally, we have to see answers to just who Ozpin is, who Crimson is, what is Roman's plan and what exactly is the deal with that floating ghost cloak in the opening sequence?

But oh, well. I suppose there's plenty of time for that. We'll just have to wait until next season because they're certainly not going to answer those questions within the next five episodes. Well, maybe the whole Torchwick operation...

Mercen-X
11-15-2013, 02:14 AM
We hit the final episode of the first half of Season 1 last week. Jaune took out an Ursa single-handedly (nearly), RWBY argued about Faunus and the White Fang during which time, Blake revealed she was a faunus (ah! Shocker! Not!), two new characters were revealed in Episode 15 faunus Sun Wukong and android Penny, and two more were revealed in Episode 16 along with Roman's hit on the Vytal Festival and Crimson's identity. Monty also revealed a bunch of names (like Junior, Adam, and Crimson's respective surnames) and some belonging to the characters' weapons.

Hollycat
11-15-2013, 02:59 AM
I'm caught up, But I don't think I'll watch any of the rest of the show, It just seems boring to me. The 4 minute episodes don't help.

Mercen-X
11-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Well, the crew claimed they don't know exactly when the season will return as they want it to be epic. I would hope that would mean it would be like the original Clone Wars animated Star Wars show, extending its length from 2-minute episodes to 15-minute episodes.

Scotty_ffgamer
11-20-2013, 02:16 AM
I finally watched through the episodes that have been released so far. I was surprised to find myself liking it quite a bit. My overall impression is that it's just okay, but I still find the series to be a lot of fun.

I will say that I hope the episodes do end up being longer in the future. The 16 episodes we have clock out at less than 2 hours, I believe. There hasn't been much time for the characters to develop within each episode, and the characters all feel a lot like cliches to me. At the same time, I still enjoy the characters. I'm not really sure why.