PDA

View Full Version : Fantastic Action-Platformer/RPG needs your help~

Vyk
05-04-2013, 07:32 AM

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/discordgames/chasm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GZTiDpis6l4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_-BHR5vo5E

Haven't posted in ages. Mostly been lurking for the past year or so. But, this one's important to me so I thought I'd reach out

I know there's a kajillion awesome things going on at Kickstarter, and most of the good ones get funded. Which is fabulously awesome

But there's this one little gem that has a week go to and about $20,000 left to go and its kinda scary that something so good is so close to not making it

Chasm (http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/discordgames/chasm) is a game inspired by things like Metroid and Castlevania. But also adds a little Diablo and Torchlight. Its a beautiful pixel-art 2D action platformer with randomly generated dungeons, so every time you start a new game its a little different. You get experience and collect "loot" and kick ass

I can't really do the game justice in describing it though. Either watch the videos or download the free demo. Highly recommended. I know some people hate the term "Metroidvania". But its seriously one of the best Metroidvania games I've played in a while and if it gets funded I know quite a few of you will be enjoying the end product

Del Murder
05-04-2013, 04:31 PM
Wow, it looks awesome. I'll donate a few bucks.

Skyblade
05-05-2013, 02:07 AM
Looks fun, but has some problems. I'm not a fan of the overall control scheme, and I don't like how it is far more "Castlevania" than "Metroid". Jumping into enemies before my pathetic melee attack can hit them is not fun.

Video made me want to play, demo made me want to quit. Unintuitive controls and the inability to hit most enemies before they hit you is not an ideal setup for a game.

Vyk
05-05-2013, 02:58 AM
I've tried out a few indie side scrolling action games lately and one of the main factors that keeps coming up is control schemes that are more reminiscent of NES games. This one included (though I took controls like that to be just simply tight and precise without a lot of lee-way, though this game was a lot more forgiving than the others I've tried lately [La Mulana and Project Black Sun]). But the demo was built special to show off some of their ideas. Its not meant to be like the officially finished first area of the game. There's a million things they intend to change and add as they go. But I've played through the demo 3 times because I loved it so much and for some reason it kinda spoke to me. And I only had trouble with the bats the first time. I guess if its not your bag, no big, but I don't think the problems are going to stay. And honestly I don't really consider it a problem. But to each their own. I just know there's going to be others out there who fall in love with it and my goal was simply to give them a chance to see it exists and maybe help it out a little if they can. Thanks for giving it a chance at least. Sorry it didn't work out for ya

Skyblade
05-05-2013, 04:16 AM
Ok, remapping the controls in the Config made it a little more bearable (mapping interact to primary attack is way more familiar).

I still can't get far at all in this game though. Forget bats, I haven't even gotten to them. The game is full of pitfalls onto ledges full of bloody rats, and I'm getting slaughtered by them. So many drop offs or declines leading to rats that you can't hit until they walk right into you because they're on a lower field than you are.

Vyk
05-05-2013, 05:25 AM
Ah, yeah, I er...used a 360 controller from the get-go. I think they designed it with that in mind, if that helps. And I think its random whether you get a sword or a knife from the chest in the inn. Life is much easier in the game with a sword in hand. You have that arc that makes it easier to hit enemies. Rather than a knife-jab going straight out. And they admit the rats are a pain when on an incline and its one of the many things they intend to address when moving forward. Sorry you had so much trouble. Hope some of this info helps if you haven't completely lost interest yet lol

Vyk
05-06-2013, 06:29 PM
Thread got viewed 60+ times so figured I'd update anyone that was curious or who actually backed it and just didn't respond in this thread. They got their funding. Makes me a happy panda. Thank you Del and anyone else who may have joined in. The funds aren't coming in fast enough for me to believe they'll make the budgets for any of their stretch goals, but they sound willing to still attempt a lot of them. (Rogue-like seems to be the biggest contender for them attempt anything extra at, but its nice to know they'll at least still try to give us everything they can)

Del Murder
05-06-2013, 06:56 PM
Sweet. Can't wait to play it.

Flying Mullet
05-15-2013, 08:03 PM
Aww, I missed this thread and would have pitched in. :aimsad:

Glad to see they met their goal. I'd be interested in buying a copy when it's released.

Flying Mullet
05-16-2013, 05:25 AM
Throwing in a double post to put up a link I found. Looks like they set up a pre-order/donation page to help them reach their stretch goals, in a kickstarter fashion: Chasm (http://www.chasmgame.com/preorder.php)

Vyk
05-22-2013, 03:57 AM
Yeah, the Humble Bundle people came to them towards the end of their Kickstarter campaign and offered to do the store for them and set it up so they can keep obtaining money towards an end goal. Plus the team involved is so eager to implement as much as possible, even if that doesn't help them meet $300,000, they'll still try to put in whatever they can for the end product. So it's all pretty awesome

Del Murder
12-03-2013, 12:58 AM
First 10 minutes of gameplay have been released. It looks pretty sweet.

Chasm - Mines Part One - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZnsJ9JYCiK0)

Dr Unne
12-03-2013, 01:18 AM
Yessss. I insta-kickstarted this game when I saw it. I want to take that pixel art and put it on a sandwich and eat it for dinner.