PDA

View Full Version : Top 75 games: A list by sharky & shion

Pumpkin
05-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Taking inspirations from threads posted by Neocracker and Pike, sharkythesharkdogg and I made a list of our favorite games and then judged, rated and scored those games on several criteria and made a list of our top 75. Some games only one of us has played, some both, and here is our list of the top 75! It was fun doing the list together to see how our combined scores could move a game up or down the list. The opinions of shion will be in PINK and the opinions of sharky will be in BLUE. Without further ado:

75: Pokemon Diamond/Pearl

Release Date: NA 2007
Platform: Nintendo DS

Pokemon Diamond is the reason I went out and bought my Nintendo DS. I had always wanted to play a Pokemon game when I saw them being played on the Game Boy and I finally had enough money to get the DS and Pokemon Diamond. It's just a fun, enjoyable, lazy day game. Bored at the airport and don't want to get into anything too deep? Play some Pokemon. I hadn't actually watched the series this far in so I was unfamiliar with a lot of the Pokemon, but it was an enjoyable game all the same.

74: Pokemon LeafGreen

Release Date: NA 2004
Platform: Game Boy Advance (ignore the pic :P)

Pokemon Green rates slightly higher for a few reason. The main one being that I was familiar with all of the Pokemon. This was the season I watched as a little girl and collected the cards and hoped one day I would be able to play on the GBA and go catching the ones I liked. Most of my friends who had the game would nearly have a heart attack if I so much as mentioned trying their game out. Well years later, after playing Diamond, I found myself a used Pokemon Green and I very much enjoy the game. I am especially happy with Squirtle being a starter Pokemon.

73. Final Fantasy XIII
Release Date: NA 2010
Platform(s): Playstation 3, Xbox 360

There’s no need to go into detail about the Final Fantasy series, obviously everyone here is pretty familiar with it.

This game was a not a good representation of the series. It was gorgeous, and had fair music. The voice acting was competent, but usually only served to remind me how annoying I found certain characters to be. I will probably never be a fan of console RPGs that attempt to mimic the combat mechanics of MMORPGs, and yet “SquEnix” continued to push that concept in this game. The story line unfolds in a very linear manner, occasionally punctuated by long cinematic sequences. What I was left with was a pretty game that guided my path for me, basically controlled two of my characters during combat for me, and managed to find a more linear version of the sphere grid with which to greatly control how I developed my characters. The only thing it didn’t make clear to me was the story of what the hell was going on. I mean I read it, and listened to the cinematics, but all I gathered was that people would get cursed. If they didn’t find their mysterious purpose they eventually turned into sewer mutants. If they did find their purpose and complete it, they were rewarded by being turned into giant chunks of quartz rock. No thanks, SquEnix. No thanks.

Final Fantasy XIII is by no means the best Final Fantasy game, but it was still enjoyable. The world had some beautiful areas (frozen lake for example) and the actual graphics themselves were gorgeous. The game did feel very linear, which was a disappointment, and a lot of the characters I just wanted to repeatedly punch in the face. The story had potential, but wasn't done as best as it could have been. I did like the paradigm system. How each character had their roles (big fan of roles) and switching in battle and finding different paradigms and different situations to use them in was fun for me. Overall definitely not my favorite, but I would play it again.

72. Suikoden IV
Release Date: NA 2005
Platform(s): PS2

I have always enjoyed the Suikoden series, and I think it really doesn’t get the credit it deserves from most JRPGers. The world it has created, and way the games link characters, events, and other things through its historic timeline is unique and adds a lot to the ambiance of the series. I enjoy everything from the runes, the 108 Stars of Destiny, the over-head battle mini-games, and the tradition of building a castle or fortress for the main character.

This game had all of that, with some pretty nice graphics to boot, and voice acting for the first time in a Suikoden game. Guess what? I still didn’t really like it. The game was solid, but it wasn’t entertaining to me. The characters, the plot, and the battle system simply didn’t do as much to engage me as the previous entries did. I think the two things that stood out to me the most were the reduction in party members from 6 to 4, and the fact that the main storyline could be beaten pretty quickly. Suikoden IV was a decent RPG, but not a decent entry in the Suikoden series. Because the others were so good, this one looked pretty weak by comparison.

Suikoden IV is definitely the weak link in the series, but I still enjoyed the game. I liked the Rune of Punishment and the story. It had some interesting characters. It had some very annoying characters. I liked the confessional booth and the “war” type battles were fun enough. I did not like the concept of the boat HQ going around with you everywhere although I can see what they were going for. It most certainly wasn't the best in the series, but it was still enjoyable enough for me to play it the whole way through.

71. Mortal Kombat
Release Date: NA 1992
Platform(s): Arcade(1992), pretty much every available console after that.

MAN this game was awful. How did I like it so much? Even when I was playing it, I knew it was rough. The combat was so clunky, and kids only got into it at first because it was supposed to be so violent and dangerous. After a bit, I really learned to appreciate it. The stop motion, digitized actors technology used for character design was really unique, and having a 5-button control scheme was cool too. It was the first fighting game I played with a separate block button, and the ability to “juggle”. Plus something about the characters over the top cheesy-ness simply made it better. I wish they kept the “Test Your Might.” minirounds between fights in the latter installments of the series. Seeing the legacy this game created just shows how sometimes you can really make bad a good thing. It’s the video game equivalent of watching a good B-rated movie.

I wasted lots of quarters with it, but it was money well spent.

Mortal Kombat is a successful series of fighting game and it all started with this one. The game itself, being the first in the series, obviously had some kinks to work out, but I quite enjoyed it. The characters were a high point for me. It might not have been my favorite game, but I remember it fondly and its a very well known game that started a long line of sequels and even movies.

Formalhaut
05-06-2013, 05:41 PM
I'm looking forward to this. I bloody hell hope The Sims (of some incarnation) is on that list!

Loony BoB
05-07-2013, 02:01 PM
I'm still overanalysing my list so I can't start up my thread, so I'm glad you guys are doing it. I love these threads, and the couple aspect makes it a little different, too.

Fynn
05-07-2013, 04:25 PM
I'm looking forward to this. I bloody hell hope The Sims (of some incarnation) is on that list!
Formalhaut, you voice my thoughts so well. I sometimes think we have some twin telepathy or something ;)

sharkythesharkdogg
05-07-2013, 04:37 PM
70. Tekken 2
Release Date: 1995 (Arcade)
Platforms: Arcade, Playstation, Playstation 2

“KING OF THE IRON FIST TOURNAMENT!!” Early 3D fighters were slow and clunky, so I viewed them as a novelty. With this sequel, things began to improve. The “moon gravity” jumps still remained, but the combat started to become smooth, quick, and fluid. I believe this is the first time the 3D concept was used to incorporate side-stepping, and a few characters gained counter attacks, which was way more fun than blocking. This is where Tekken began to distinguish itself as the superior option to Virtua Fighter and Dead or Alive. The story, music, graphics, and characters all grabbed me.

Tekken 2 is the first Tekken I had played and I very much enjoyed it. It had characters I liked and I found it fun to unlock the different characters. I was young when I played but I did get a lot of enjoyment out of it. It's actually the first fighting game I had played and Tekken remains to be my favorite fighting game series.

69. Final Fantasy V
Relase Date: 1992
Platforms: SNES, Gameboy Adance, Playstation 1, Various Online consoles.

We all know why I like this game so much. Job. System. Sure it wasn’t the first FF to use it, but it was the first one to make it great. 22 jobs! I mean, crap. I think later editions expanded it out to 25 or so. The music was pretty good, and the graphics were competent for the time. Plus, I give the game points for having possibly the best name for a main villain. ExDeath. That just sounds so badass. The storyline involves one world being split in two in an attempt to seal and evil force, and we all know how attempting to seal an evil force away NEVER works. Seriously though, job system. The rest of the game was competent, but the Job System makes it worth playing.

Final Fantasy V was a fun game. It didn't grab me in a way that some of the others did (I don't even really remember what the story is) but it did have a good cast of characters. I very much enjoyed the job system. Overall it was a good, fun, enjoyable game, although I don't think it was anything particularly special.

68. Final Fantasy XII
Release Date: NA 2006
Platforms: Playstation 2

The Final Fantasy game that was almost amazing. The graphics were quite good, the music was decent, and for the first time in a while most of the characters ranged from “acceptable” to “engaging, and memorable”. Plus the biggest thumbs up for the game was its License Board, and the complete freedom given in how to create your character. Make Penelo the tank? Yes, I did. I also appreciated how open the map was. You were pretty much allowed to travel anywhere you wanted at almost any time. The main limit was if your characters could handle the enemies in that place.

So a good story, great leveling system, decent characters, graphics, and music. Why didn’t it go higher? I HATE the combat system. I don’t want my combat system mimicking MMORPGs. Get that trash outta here.

Final Fantasy XII had its good and bad points. I disliked half of the characters and I'm not one for change so the summons bothered me. I liked how they kept the ATB but the battles themselves weren't as fun as they could have been. The story had good potential, but didn't leave me interested. With that being said, I am absolutely in love with the license board. I like to customize my characters into clear, defined rolls and I was definitely able to do that with this game. I had the power to choose everything from skills and magic, to armor and weapons. The world was also very well done. It felt very real and alive. I will continue to replay this game.

67. Tetris
Release Date: 1984 (traces its roots much further back)
Platforms: Everything since the beginning of ever.

Respect your elders. This is possibly the best thing Russia has invented since vodka. Wikipedia tells me it was developed on an “Elektronika 60”, but I first saw it on either a Comodore 64 or some IBM. It was one of my most beloved GameBoy games as a kid, and it is so very addicting. Even the music is addicting. I never thought puzzle pieces falling from the sky would get me so pumped up, but by level 90 something, I was so focused on that GameBoy screen I doubt I would have noticed a car crash behind me. Tetris defined the puzzle video game genre, and I don’t know if another game has every truly beaten it for entertainment factor and simplicity. It should say a lot that I still see people playing it one their laptop at least once a week.

66. Wario Land: Super Mario Land 3
Release Date: 1994
Platform(s): Gameboy, 3DS, Virtual Console

By the time this came out, I’d played all the NES Marios, Super Mario Land 2 and Super Mario World. I was bored of Mario. I think the developers could feel that was the opinion for a lot of their customers, and Wario was a great substitute. The game used coins in an all new manner, Wario played differently from Mario, and it was refreshing to be the bad guy for once. His whole goal is to make Mario jealous, classic. Wario’s brutish strength was highlighted throughout the game, and he even received his own unique power ups in the form of helmets that played off his size. Everything about Wario came across as comically obnoxious, greedy, and selfish. I remember he even needed cloves of garlic instead of mushrooms. It made the whole game really fun and new feeling. The music was fun, the graphics were good, and gameplay was top notch. What puts this game on the list is the fact that it’s the best Mario entry the GameBoy had to offer, despite the fact that Mario wasn’t even in it.

chionos
05-07-2013, 09:54 PM
Nothing particularly compelling so far. I just wonder where "Sharky vs. Shion: Bedroom Olympics 2013" is going to show up.

Bolivar
05-08-2013, 02:44 AM
Hahaha, this is awesome so far, Warioland was one of my favorite Gameboy games, probably one of the few I saw through to completion. Marioland 2 was awesome as well, but this one was crazy unique, in ways I've only become conscious of from reading your post. It didn't feel like a Mario game at all, in a really awesome way.

I understand how you feel about FFXII, awesome graphics, story, characters, customization, but some reservations about the combat. What ties it all together and make it one of my favorite games are the Gambits. Obviously MMOs have a similar gameplay premise, and many RPGs have struggled with semi-automated real-time party combat (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, White Knight Chronicles), what makes FFXII overshadow them all is the way you have 100% full control over everything your party does through Gambits. And you're rewarded, too; optional uber-boss battles that can last 30 minutes to an hour can be mitigated to only a few minutes if you're good enough at strategizing your Gambit set ups. I remember being excited about Dragon Age having a similar system. When I finally played it a few months ago, they just didn't work like FFXII - both because they don't work how they're supposed to, but also because the monsters and heroes aren't balanced to make it an enjoyable and viable option. I understand it's not supposed to be the same kind of game. Regardless, FFXII's achievement where so many modern RPGs have failed is why it's a game almost disturbingly ahead of its time.

NeoCracker
05-08-2013, 06:37 AM
Fuck Tetris. That game makes me feel like a monkey putting shapes into wholes.

Pike
05-08-2013, 03:12 PM
FFV is like... the one numbered FF I haven't played.

Wait, I didn't play 11 or 13 either.

Still. Five! How do I keep not playing it :(

Quindiana Jones
05-08-2013, 03:19 PM
Because you are a bumhole and a fool. We've been through this before, I believe. You are a bumfool.

Slothy
05-08-2013, 03:22 PM
FFV is like... the one numbered FF I haven't played.

Wait, I didn't play 11 or 13 either.

Still. Five! How do I keep not playing it :(

At least with 11 and 13 there are excuses (monthly fees and general shittyness respectively). But you need to play FFV Pike. It's easily got the best gameplay in the main series for a game not named FFXII.

Pike
05-08-2013, 03:35 PM
It's one of those things I've been really wanting to play for a while and then I keep somehow missing it. What's the latest remake/port?

Slothy
05-08-2013, 03:56 PM
The GBA version is still the most recent. Highly recommended.

Pike
05-08-2013, 03:59 PM
How is it that I have I & II, IV, and VI for GBA and not V??

Gonna have to Amazon this up.

Slothy
05-08-2013, 04:06 PM
I don't know. But then, I own the SNES stuff on pretty much every platform it's available on because I'm a fanboy.

Pumpkin
05-08-2013, 04:11 PM
We were going to do this every two days (next one tomorrow) but I will be away from my laptop all day tomorrow so this one is early. I also apologize for how one sided this one is :P.

65. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance 2
Relese Date: NA June 2008
Platform: Nintendo DS

I played this game before Tactics Advance and I have to say, I very much enjoyed it. I enjoyed finding missions at the pub and earning the prizes and also having different characters and different races in different roles.The characters and the story however were not very memorable for me. It was also not as serious of a game as I was expecting after having played Tactics, but it was a fun little game to play on my down time.

64. Mario Tennis
Release Date: NA August 2000
Platforms: Nintendo 64, GameBoy Color(2001), Virtual Console(2010)

Mario Tennis was one of the first N64 games I played when I was a little girl and still getting used to using a controller. I was awful at it at first. Then due to some moving, I lost the game. When I went back and played it a few years later after becoming familiar with a controller, this game was a lot of fun for me. My character of choice was Daisy. The game was a good fun activity and the 4 players just added to the fun. If I find the game again and have some extra money, I would be more than happy to get it, although I should probably play some more actual tennis instead.

63. Pokemon Snap
Release Date: NA June 1999
Platfroms: Nintendo 64, Virtual Console (2007)

This game was not long, or complicated, but it was fun none the less. I enjoy taking pictures, I enjoy Pokemon, and sometimes I just need a quick fun cheer me up game. Gaining new things like the flute and what have you gave reason to go back and redo some of the levels. The photo album option was cute. Most of all I enjoyed watching this fictional creatures roam about and taking pictures of their adorableness. I remember gathering a big pack of Charmanders all making the happy face and it was adorable. This is a cute, fun, silly game to play on a day that needs a pick-me-up.

62. Final Fantasy X-2
Release Date: 2003
Platforms: Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation Vita

Hey, I know. Let’s make a Final Fantasy X sequel, and give it a Charlie’s Angels theme. Brilliant! This is not a good storyline. I really expected to see Tom Green show up, and the cinematic bits with the J-pop concerts were atrocious. They took the distinguished high summoner and gave her daisy dukes and twin Beretta's strapped on her hips. Be that as it may, the graphics were very well done for PS2, some music was great (other music was horrible, making the overall result average), and it was not a rehash of FFX. While of course it was the same ol’ Spira many new enemy designs were present, and most importantly the battle system was really great. I mean really great. It brought back the job classes (dress spheres), and I love job classes. Once you turned on the option to skip the stupid Sailor Moon transformation sequence for every time they switched spheres, and learned to block out the inane banter during fights, it was enjoyable.
I liked the idea of Missions, and the ability to basically fly anywhere and access any part of Spira at anytime. This FF took on a decidedly lighthearted feel, and while that made many of the Missions feel quite silly, and sometimes it made the game quite cheesy, I liked that too. I didn’t like the story much, and I didn’t like most characters. So what made me like this game? It was the kick ass dress sphere/job system, the carefree attitude, and the triumphant return of the ATB system. It was enough to make me beat the game. Twice! Why couldn’t they have put those aspects in FF10 to make one great game?

Some moments of this game were absolutely cringe worthy (the massage scene, the dressphere changes, anytime Yuna sings), but some of it was actual fun. The battle system is in my opinion the best in the series. If they had put the battle system and ability system in Final Fantasy X, it would be an excellent game. A lot of the “Missions” were annoying, but some, like the Highroad mystery, were actually quite enjoyable. As dumb as most of the story (and characters) is, I have played this game more than once and I will continue to play it. It was a lot of fun.

61. Xenosaga Episode II
Release Date: February 2005
Platform: Playstation 2

Xenosaga Episode II is the weakest in the series. The drastic change in characters looks had upset me and so did the drastic change in the battle system. It went from complex to overly simple. The story took a turn and mostly became a side story for Jr., Albedo, and the U.R.T.V.'s as well as some stuff about Old Miltia. I can see why fans were disappointed, but to me it was still an enjoyable game. I thought the story between Jr. And Albedo was actually very interesting. Most of the game wasn't even necessary to the series, but it did help dive further into the back story and that was okay with me.

Slothy
05-08-2013, 04:14 PM
Pokemon Snap really is better than a game that's a Pokemon photo safari had any business being.

Pumpkin
05-08-2013, 04:16 PM
Yes. Yes it is. I'll be playing it this weekend and hopefully sharky will stop eye rolling at it's mention because he is convinced it shouldn't be it's own game and should just be a mini-game :colbert:

Slothy
05-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Sharky is objectively wrong and Pokemon Snap is amazing.

Pike
05-08-2013, 04:26 PM
Sharky is objectively wrong and Pokemon Snap is amazing.

Agreed. If they remade it on WiiU and used that monitor-controller thing as the camera I would buy a WiiU for that alone.

Pumpkin
05-08-2013, 04:28 PM
To be fair he has never actually seen the game played or played it himself. There is still a chance for redemption.

(Also he bought me the game and is buying me an N64 for Mother's Day, so as wrong as he may be about Pokemon Snap, I am still very grateful :jess:)

Snakz92
05-08-2013, 07:05 PM
Pleaseputwildarms
Pleaseputwildarms
Pleaseputwildarms

sharkythesharkdogg
05-08-2013, 07:38 PM
:zombert:

Forsaken Lover
05-08-2013, 07:57 PM
"1000 Words" was a beautiful scene so I don't mind Yuna singing. Also I wouldn't put Xenosaga II on my Top Anything List except maybe Most Disappointing Game Ever.

Here's hoping Episode 1 is in your top 10-20.

chionos
05-08-2013, 10:34 PM
Way too much Pokemon already and you're only 1/5 of the way through the list. Good gravy.

It's interesting to see how some gameplay elements can make an otherwise terrible game into something respectable. e.g. X-2 being on this list despite its admitted shortcomings.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-08-2013, 11:59 PM
We've both observed how there are games we would not have on our individual lists that wound up on a joint list. That's part of the fun. There's a few games I reviewed because I played them, but not because I wanted them on the list, and vice versa.

Just wait until you get to shion's review of FFVII. :tongue:

Yes, for me gameplay can smooth out or over shadow a lot of faults.

Pumpkin
05-09-2013, 12:09 AM
Way too much Pokemon already and you're only 1/5 of the way through the list. Good gravy.

Too bad. There's still one more on there. Deal with it. :colbert:

Raistlin
05-09-2013, 12:55 AM
... Final Fantasy X-2 ranked above FFXII and Suikoden IV?

And here I thought you two couldn't be as crazy as Cracker. :screwy:

chionos
05-09-2013, 06:26 AM
... Final Fantasy X-2 ranked above FFXII and Suikoden IV?

And here I thought you two couldn't be as crazy as Cracker. :screwy:

We're getting their craziness combined. As you know Raist, craziness is multiplicative. So even if Cracker's at like a 95, and Shion's a 47 and Sharky's a 46 (which in sum is 93), by their forces combined they're like a 4162 on the craziness scale and that shit's up there somewhere between HC and PG range.

Quindiana Jones
05-09-2013, 07:26 AM
That's not quite how it works, chionos. When combining craziness, the individual crazies are added together, then multiplied by the number of people contributing. They're closer to 186, which is almost as high as Loony BoB.

maybee
05-09-2013, 08:07 AM

Because you have to collect them all :colbert:

Pike
05-09-2013, 08:12 AM
Yeah I'm with maybee on this one, you can never have too many Pokemon games.

chionos
05-09-2013, 08:08 PM

Because you have to collect them all :colbert:

http://baarmychris.files.wordpress.com/2012/07/sheep.jpg

Pumpkin
05-10-2013, 04:35 PM
60. Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars
Release Date: 1996
Platforms: SNES, Virtual Console

I have so much love for this game. It should indicate the quality of this work that used copies still go on Ebay for what it cost new. Brand new in box copies are in the hundreds of dollars. Back then, Square and Nintendo combined could do no wrong. It was a fun, lighthearted story combined with classic RPG elements thanks to Square. It had lots of neat areas to explore, like Yoshi’s home island, and the town of reformed monsters. Plus it was the first chance gamers had to use both Bowser and Princess Toadstool. The music was catchy, and fun. The graphics were bright, colorful, and really very good for the old SNES platform. While it never received a true sequel, it also inspired the Paper Mario series, and remains a very fun RPG even by today’s standards.

59. Soul Calibur II
Release Date: 2002 (Arcade)
Platform(s): Arcade, GameCube, Xbox, Playstation 2

While they continue to crank out sequels, I believe number 2 will always be the best. Soul Edge and Soul Caliber were both excellent games, but never saw widespread release across several consoles. SC2 took the very well balanced gameplay of the first two entries and, combined with new combat features, made the game available to pretty much everyone. Some of the improvements players saw were easier side stepping and evasion, some environments now had walls to lower wins due to ring out, it kept the theme of several weapons for each character, and introduced both the Guard Impact and Guard Break features. The graphics were great for the time, the music set a dramatic tone, and the amount of characters was pretty big. Four new people were introduced. Even so, the large roster remained very well balanced against each other. Even the bonus characters that were made available for each platform (Spawn, Link, and Heihachi Mishima) fit into the system naturally and felt like they belonged. The sequels continue to garner less and less favorable reviews, and playing them, I can understand why. This Soul Calibur was the last one to get it exactly right. On a personal note, Seung-Mina and Lizardman FTW!

Soul Calibur 2 was a fun game. I never played the original but I did think it was interesting to add in a weapon's element to the game to distinguish it from other fighting games I had played. I found most of the characters interesting. Overall it was a good fun game that I enjoyed playing when I wanted to play a fighting game with a change of pace.

58. Pokemon Stadium

Release Date: NA February 2000
Platform: Nintendo 64

Pokemon stadium was the first Pokemon game that I played. It wasn't exactly what I was looking for in terms of going out to catch your own Pokemon, but it involved Pokemon, so that was good enough for me. I liked the different stadiums which allowed different types of Pokemon to be used so that when you got further in the game it provided a kind of challenge to go back and not be able to rely on your really strong ones. The mini games to me were a lot of fun. Especially the Lickatung one and the Rattata running game. Overall, very enjoyable.

57. Final Fantasy Tactics Advance
Release Date: September 2003
Platform: Game Boy Advance

This is the third in the Tactics series that I played, and it did not fail to dissapoint. The story and characters were interesting, as was the job system. I liked the weapon's-ability system in a different way then that of the original Tactics. I enjoyed being able to place the locations. It was a good, solid, fun game to play, although it wasn't anything amazing and is slightly forgettable.

56. Final Fantasy VI
Release Date: April 1994
Platforms: SNES, Play Station, Game Boy Advance, Virtual Console

I was pretty late to the party in playing Final Fantasy VI, having only played it recently. The game had a good solid cast of characters, although I am not fond of hidden characters, so it lost some points with me there. The main ones were very interesting to me. I liked the villain a good deal, as well as the story. The Esper system of learning abilities was also very interesting and I quite enjoyed it. The game had a good sense of humour, which made it much more fun and made the characters more relatable. I think it had some of the most relatable characters in the series, in my opinion. Overall a good game and I plan to play it again.

Loony BoB
05-10-2013, 04:38 PM
FFTA is the first and only FF Tactics game I've played, and I really enjoyed it. I recently bought FFT so it'll be interesting to see how the two compare.

Skyblade
05-10-2013, 05:05 PM
FFTA is the first and only FF Tactics game I've played, and I really enjoyed it. I recently bought FFT so it'll be interesting to see how the two compare.

Aw, yay for you, BoB. Too many people on here give that game way too much flak.

Pokemon Stadium should not be on that list. "It has Pokemon" is in no way a reason to stick a game on a "Top games" list. Nor is "it's the first game in [x] series I've played".

Pumpkin
05-10-2013, 05:10 PM
The reason is "I enjoyed it enough to be on my top list". That's really all the reason I need. This is a thread about personal preference.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-10-2013, 10:06 PM
And the disagreements begin! :kakapo:

Hahaha. Trust us, this is an interesting combined list.

edczxcvbnm
05-10-2013, 10:31 PM
There are far too many
1) RPGS
2) Pokemon
3) Newish Games (Where are all of the Atari, NES, PC, Arcade Games)

Pumpkin
05-10-2013, 10:36 PM
There are far too many
1) RPGS
2) Pokemon

1. A large majority of the games I play are RPG's. There will be slightly more variety thanks to sharky.
2. I like Pokemon :colbert:. That's the end of the Pokemon games on the list in any case.
3. There will be more of them from sharky. Not really PC games though, because neither of us play those.

Skyblade
05-11-2013, 12:12 AM
2. I like Pokemon :colbert:. That's the end of the Pokemon games on the list in any case.

Hang on a second. Stop what you're doing. Go buy a Gamecube (skip this step if you already have one). Go buy a copy of Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness. Play it. If Stadium made the list it must simply have been because you never played either Coliseum or XD, as they completely trounce it.

I don't actually mind your list, it's your list. But if you're a Pokemon fan and haven't played the Gamecube games (especially XD), you're missing out.

Slothy
05-11-2013, 12:43 AM
There are far too many
1) RPGS
2) Pokemon

So go make your own ruttin' list you alliance lovin' piece of gou shi.

Pike
05-11-2013, 01:23 AM
There are far too many
1) RPGS
2) Pokemon

I can't wait until I make a list of Top 100 Games and it's about 90% strategy games and 10% old DOS RPGs.

NeoCracker
05-11-2013, 01:37 AM
There are far too many
1) RPGS
2) Pokemon

I can't wait until I make a list of Top 100 Games and it's about 90% strategy games and 10% old DOS RPGs.

Will it have Dragon Wars or Bards Tale? :D

I may have the name for Dragon War wrong though.

Edit: It is!

Dragon Wars (http://www.classicgaming.cc/pc/dragonwars/)

Bolivar
05-11-2013, 02:48 AM
I like this list so far! Wouldn't match up with mine at all but it's taking me on a wonderful trip down memory lane with a lot of games I haven't thought about in a while, much less gone back to.

And you can never have too many RPGs on a top list! They're gamers' games!

sharkythesharkdogg
05-11-2013, 03:43 AM
There are far too many
1) RPGS
2) Pokemon

There's more PC games, and older games still one the way. Naturally they're higher on the list.

maybee
05-11-2013, 08:31 AM
There are far too many
1) RPGS
2) Pokemon

So go make your own ruttin' list

This ^

If you disagree so much then make your own list.

Formalhaut
05-11-2013, 12:54 PM
To be fair, I don't think I've played enough games to even HAVE a top 100 list.

maybee
05-12-2013, 05:09 AM

Then play more games ! That's your homework for the year Formalhaut ! :jess:

Pike
05-12-2013, 10:43 AM

Then play more games ! That's your homework for the year Formalhaut ! :jess:

Yeah, for real you should have played your first 100 games by the time you were six years old or something.

Formalhaut
05-12-2013, 08:01 PM
Do I look like someone who plays 100+ games? I mean, I am only on a gaming forum :roll2

sharkythesharkdogg
05-12-2013, 08:30 PM
55. Soul Calibur III
Release Date: 2005
Platforms: Playstation 2, Arcade

This was a solid entry into the series, but not my favorite. The character designs started to become less interesting to me, though the three new characters introduced were pretty unique. Setsuka sticks in my mind as being pretty fun. Certain aspects of the gameplay remained fun, but I did not enjoy the fighting mechanics as much as I did in SC2. The combined score helped it out, but I would not have rated it above SC2 on my own.

For most of my review of this game, see Soul Calibur II. The game was very similar in many regards. What made the game slightly better to me was the ability to customize your characters more, and the addition of some new characters that I enjoyed. It's a good solid fighting game, it has good graphics and some excellent arena designs, and its a fun play.

54. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
Release Date: 1993
Platforms: Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Virtual Console

This was a superb entry in the Gameboy library. I knew I was in for a treat as soon as the little movie showing Link caught in a storm and getting stranded on an island had finished. It was a great little story line that chose to step outside of Hyrule for what I’m pretty sure was the first time. While Link runs around gathering the instruments he needs to wake up the Wind Fish and return home, you were introduced to a brand new world with lots of fun characters, and fun environments. It had several mini-games such as fishing and the classic “bringing items to the right people and trading for items other people need” to help add variety. You got to see Link play his ocarina, and while it was just fun at the time, it became even more cool after OoT because you know where it came from. This time Link could jump, which doesn’t sound like much, but it felt different at the time. The game was a little more lighthearted in some areas. Goobas from Mario make an appearance as enemies, and you can communicate around the island with certain people by using a telephone.
The graphics for the system were quite good, the gameplay was smooth, the music was catchy, the dungeon designs were fun, and the item system was good. This is one of the best Zeldas, and it was portable. Hard to beat.

53. Suikoden
Release Date: 1995
Platform: PlayStation

I bought the original Suikoden after playing III and IV. The game did not disappoint. The story of the Soul Eater rune was excellent and I think one of the most tragic. Forced to live out your life with a rune that takes away your loved ones. Tir was a silent hero, and yet I could still feel his growth through the game. A lot of the characters interested me and I enjoyed using. This was the first game in the series, so it did have some kinks to work out, but it was still an enjoyable game with good characters and a good storyline. This game started one of my favorite video game series and I like this game very very much.

52. Super Mario World
Release Date: 1990
Platforms: SNES, Gameboy Advance, Virtual Console

I love how Nintendo used to give you a Mario game with a new console. The games were always so solid, and for me, this one was the best. This time the gang decides to visit “Dinosaur Island” so that Princess Peach has a new place to get kidnapped. Bowser does his thing, and now you have the setting. The music, while maintaining the same basically melody for most of the game, was still very good. It was the same Mario style of play, but with some new tricks like spin jumping to smash through bricks. One of the most important “new tricks” was Yoshi. You can’t have Dinosaur Island without a dinosaur. I enjoyed how just like Mario, Yoshi would get his own power ups by eating certain colored shells. I loved the amount of hidden levels, and the Halloween themed secret world (or whatever they called it). The levels were unique, and colorful. The new enemies kept things fresh. Things were new where they needed to be new, and stayed the same where they didn’t need improvement. A well balanced game.

51. Age of Empires
Release Date: 1997
Platforms: Microsoft Windows, MacIntosh

I’d played a few real-time strategy games by the time I got this as a Christmas present, but this one simply did it for me. I really enjoyed building up my little tribe of hunter-gatherers into a thriving Iron Age empire that dominated the landscape. I love how each different culture had their own unique aspects, and how that played out over time. The graphics were really great to me at the time, and the control interface was intuitive and made sense. The music never really grabbed me, but it didn’t stick out as annoying. Before I really learned how to strategize properly, I fondly the remember the computer kicking the living trout out of me on a regular basis the moment my poor little village started to finally get somewhere. I played this game a lot, and never got tired of building towns, armies, ship armadas, and other neat things. I know there’s other games that have done it better, like the sequel, but this game was always a special RTS for me.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-17-2013, 12:11 AM
Top 50!

50. 7th Guest
Platform(s): PC, CD-i, Mac OS, iOS

This was the first game like it that I had ever played. I was immediately drawn in by the creepy music, the unique story, and the puzzles. I’m sure today the game would probably seem cheesy, but all of the aspects combined with the first person POV combined to make something totally new. I’d stay up and play it late at night with the lights off, and get all creeped out. It wasn’t really scary, just creepy. I remember the skeleton hand icon that would beckon you forward or wag it’s finger specifically for some reason. I remember all my nerd friends and myself talking about it, and talking about which puzzles were stumping us. I don’t want to spoil the ending, but it was a classic twist, and at the time I found that pretty cool as well. 7th Guest used CD-ROM, which allowed it to be pretty big and contain a lot of pretty cool live action sequences which became all the rage for a little while. This was probably the first horror game and intuitive puzzle game I played, and I found the combination really memorable.

49. Gran Turismo 4
Release Date: 2005
Platform(s): Playstation 2

Of course I’m going to have a racing game on here. For me this was Polyphony’s pinnacle to date. The graphics were spot on, and the music selection was pretty good. It had the inclusion of many different makes and models of cars across several different eras. Many of the possible modifications available became more indepth, and the alterations you made to the set-ups came more close to reflecting how cars actually behave. Lots of special attention was given to many details of both the vehicles and the tracks. The amount of cars and tracks expanded overall, along with a new photo mode that I really enjoyed. Setting up cars in different locals for photo shoots is pretty nerdy, but it was just right for me. Admittedly I haven’t spent as much time playing GT5, but I have the game and haven’t felt compelled to play it. To me, that says something. My best memory of GT4 is the many hours I spent lapping the Nordeschleife in a Lancia Stratos.

48. Star Ocean: The Last Hope
Release Dates: February 2009 (XBox 360), February 2010 (PlayStation 3)
Consoles: XBox 360, PlayStation 3

Star Ocean the last hope was a game I enjoyed playing. The characters were kind of annoying but it was fun to be able to switch who you're using in battle and experience the different fighting styles. The graphics were very nice and some of the areas were beautiful. The customization was not entirely there but the worlds did feel vast and enjoyable.

47. Final Fantasy X
Release Date: 2001
Platform(s): Playstation 2, Playstation 3, Playstation Vita

This Final Fantasy is pretty polarizing, so maybe my position is a little unusual in the fact that I think it’s a fair entry. Not amazing, not awful. It’s a quality RPG, and I believe it was a pretty good first entry for Square to make on a new platform. I found the graphics to be very well done, the game still looks good today. A lot of the music was very pretty, and even though I haven’t played the game in years, I still occasionally find myself humming “The Hymn of the Faith” while I’m at work. I was luke warm towards the sphere grid, and the voice acting. Parts of the story were pretty good, but some of the main playable characters and a few of the antagonists were either forgettable or lame. Kimahri needed more face time. The game was overall an entertaining playthrough, but I missed the open feel the previous entries had provided, and I was glad to see at least some of that openness return in the sequel and especially in FF12. Still, this was a pretty fun entry in the series and I don’t feel it gets enough credit.

Final Fantasy X is an enjoyable game. The graphics are good and the story had good potential. I especially liked what they did with Yevon and how the group started. I think the twist at the end with Tidus was kinda dumb but I appreciated a change from the “they live happily ever after” that gets played out in stories. It had a few good characters, like Kimahri, but a lot of them were kind of annoying. I didn't like the sphere grid much, and I prefer the ATB style in battle, but I did like being able to swap out characters in fight. Overall a good, enjoyable game.

46. Super Castlevania
Release Date: 1991
Platform(s): SNES, Virtual Console

This was a great side-scroller. It really did justice to the franchise, and is still really fun today. The graphics were sharp for the time, and the music was very well done. From the moment Simon walks across the bridge into Castle Dracula and the famous opening stage melody kicks off, you know you’re in for a treat. The levels are fun and challenging, the controls are precise, and I like the different secondary weapons that were available. I liked the creativity shown in several different aspects of the game. Super Castlevania gave the player unique controllability over Simon’s whip, and some of the level designs were really eye-grabbing. The bosses at the end of each stage added a lot of spice, and grimness. I particularly liked the use of Death and Medusa. Konami should be proud of this one.

Formalhaut
05-17-2013, 12:32 AM
Ooh, Gran Turismo 4! I've got that game. As for X, many of the criticisms surrounding the lack of time for Kimahri (and even Lulu!) was very justified.

Slothy
05-17-2013, 03:41 AM
You know, I think as a game I liked GT3 a bit better, but in terms of sheer amount of content, GT4 was better by a long shot.

Ultima Shadow
05-20-2013, 11:34 PM
SO4 above Super Mario RPG, Age of Empires and FFVI?

*brain implodes*

Pike
05-22-2013, 11:20 AM
SO4 above Super Mario RPG, Age of Empires and FFVI?

*brain implodes*

I have no idea what SO4 is but yeah how is it above all those other games :irked: Especially Super Mario RPG which should really be in anyone's Top Five.

NeoCracker
05-22-2013, 11:30 AM
As one of the few how found enjoyment in Star Ocean 4, I too am baffled by this. o_O

Of course X is also on this list, so the SO4 placement is the least of my confusion.

Karifean
05-22-2013, 12:16 PM
Of course X is also on this list, so the SO4 placement is the least of my confusion.

I'm also surprised about X's placement, but probably for the opposite reason.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-22-2013, 02:42 PM
I haven't played a whole lot of SO4.

The whole point is to see what happpens to games when they're on a combined list. :monster:

Pike
05-22-2013, 06:14 PM
If Hux and I made a combined list I think the games would be about 95% the same :shifty:

Pumpkin
05-22-2013, 06:21 PM
So you admit that you are not the real I'm My Own MILF.

You're Not Your Own MILF at all!

Pike
05-22-2013, 06:21 PM
I like to shake things up sometimes.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-27-2013, 04:56 PM
45. Star Fox Adventures
Release Date: 2002
Platform(s): GameCube

This was the one of the reasons I got a GameCube. I like it when developers try something new with a franchise. It doesn’t always work out, but I respect the desire to try and keep a series fresh and entertaining. This game was a really great 3D adventure, and shared a lot of its control scheme with Zelda:OoT which is never a bad thing. The graphics were quite stunning, especially for the GameCube. They were highlighted by some beautiful world and character designs. The world had a natural daytime and nighttime pattern, the maps were entertaining and fun, and the game in general created a good open feeling. When put together with some nice music, it made an atmosphere that felt like adventure. Seems like the right feeling to go for in a game that has adventure in the name. This was Rare’s last hurrah as basically….Rare. Y’know before Microsoft bought them, thereby ensuring we’d see no more good games like Killer Instinct 3. I think Star Fox Adventures was a fantastic ending to a legendary chapter in Rare’s history, and any GameCube owner should try it.

74. Bushido Blade
Release Date: 1997
Platform(s): PlayStation 1, PlayStation Network

What a great game! This was a fighting game that famously tried several unique ideas, and pulled them off with a good amount of success. It got rid of individual levels, life bars, and timers to name a few. Each available fighter had a choice of several different weapons to use, which would modify their move set. This combined to make several different characters in one. Another great feature was the full 3D roaming that was available to the player. Disengaging from combat and then running, jumping, and even climbing around the levels could be used to attempt and give your character the advantage during combat. The grounds you fought on were incorporated into one giant level that most of could be accessed during a fight, which meant the battle could span across several different areas. The most important difference Bushido Blade introduced was the idea of realistic body/weapon damage, translating into one hit instant kills or the ability to cripple your opponent almost instantly. This was another one of those games that created a very unique style of play that I had not seen before, and also really captured a much more realistic feel in a weapons based fighting game. Graphically this game was pretty good, while not amazing. The music matched the mood of the game well. I rank it so highly for being able to take a lot of unusual ideas and use them so successfully to make a really fun game.

73. Shadowrun
Platform(s): SNES

I was a big fan of Blade Runner as a kid, so this game was something I really looked forward to. It had a really great back story to draw from, and I’ve always enjoyed the idea of combining cyperpunk/futuristic tech ideas with magic and mythology. This game took all those elements and wrote a great story with them. I didn’t have anything else like it on the SNES, and it just felt more grown up at the time. The game just felt gritty and more realistic. It was a very good, and VERY challenging RPG. (At least from what I remember.) It introduced me to an idea of what the future might be like, and how different things could be. The graphics and music matched the setting very well. I enjoyed how as you progressed in the game, you could take knowledge you learned to go back and talk with NPCs choosing specific information you now had to get new information from them. It’s hard to explain what made this game so good at the time, but it was simply an RPG that had a lot of really fresh things going for it, set in an alternate future of our world. In 1993 it was a type of game I just wasn’t used to seeing, and it was really well done. The SNES had so many excellent RPGs, but this is near the top of that list.

42. Tekken Tag Tournament
Release Date: 1999
Platforms: Arcade, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3

This Tekken combined a lot of the gameplay I enjoyed so much in Tekken 3, with almost every character that had appeared in the series up until that point. I spent a lot of time in playing this one with my friends on my time off in the dorms on base. In classic Tekken style, it was a great “pick up and play” style game that also offered many characters with a lot of depth. This allowed for players to develop their skills, and kept the game from becoming too boring or easy. The biggest new feature other than the return of all major characters was of course two player teams. This opened up a lot of new combos, and unique move sets that became available only with the combination of certain characters. For those of us who actually paid attention to the storyline (of a fighting game, I know) it was also fun to see the different rivalries and friendships play out with the different characters. Namco did a great job of updating the move-lists for older characters to differentiate them from their modern counterparts and keep them competitive. I feel this game was sort of a swan song for this chapter in the series. More recent games have introduced the “bound” system, allowing for long, unblockable string combos that have really changed the feel of the game. I still like to dust this game off once in a while and enjoy the Tekken for what it once was.

Tekken Tag did little to advance the series story wise, but it was very enjoyable for a number of reasons. One being the large selection of characters and the return of characters like Jun who hadn't been seen since Teken 2. It had a swap out system where you would tag your partner and switch characters, esentially allowing you to control two characters per fight. And I actually very much enjoyed the bowling mini-game.

41. Myst
Platforms: (everything) Mac OS, Sega Saturn, PlayStation, 3DO, Microsoft Windows, Atari Jaguar CD, CD-i, AmigaOS, PlayStation Portable, Nintendo DS, iOS, Nintendo 3DS

I never played any of the sequels, and I imagine this is yet another FPV-adventure game that if I tried again, wouldn’t be as fun today. When I played it back in good ol’ 1993 however, this game was really fun and pretty different. The graphics were pretty solid, and the design of the island was pretty refreshing. Personally, I liked the fact that your character was basically just dropped into the story without much in the way of guidance. It matched the storyline, and helped create the feel the whole game was about. It sounds skeptical, but despite being an interactive slide show, the ambient music, puzzles, and different possible story line paths really did draw me in and make me want to continue exploring. It was one of the first video games I can recall playing that had the added twist of letting your decisions during the game affect the outcome. Although, if you can judge by how many platforms it’s been released on, perhaps there’s still a certain aspect to this game that still keeps bringing people back to it. I know I really enjoyed it.

NeoCracker
05-27-2013, 05:10 PM
I vaguely remember enjoying BUshido blade once upon a time.

Raistlin
05-27-2013, 07:50 PM
I recognize the name Bushido Blade, but I remember absolutely nothing about it. Which is a shame, as it sounds pretty fun.

And I haven't played Myst since I was really young. I kinda want to go back to the series, because I think it'd be something I'd enjoy more now. But that's very low down my list of limited gaming priorities.

Slothy
05-27-2013, 07:53 PM
There aren't many games I've bought in my life that I traded in/sold/gave away to whatever poor sap wanted them, but Star Fox Adventures is one of those games.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-27-2013, 10:20 PM
:doublecolbert:

Loony BoB
05-29-2013, 09:46 AM
I really, really, really wish I had the time to get back into Myst, but there are so many games and the time I have is so limited that it wouldn't work. Also, probably more a game for when I'm on holiday than when I'm as busy as I am right now. But yeah, I never got too far into it but I loooooved what I saw. I have Myst III and I haven't got far into that, either, but I absolutely adore just walking around the world because even by today's standards, I still find it to be stunningly beautiful.