PDA

View Full Version : Tom Cruise's Best Performances

Forsaken Lover
05-06-2013, 05:03 AM
So I love Interview With the Vampire but I also love A Few Good Men. Both movies were awesome in their own right but I feel Cruise did a lot to make me re-watch them over and over again.

But I want some other Cruise flicks to check out. I've seen the two movies I mentioned already, MI1 and 2, Tropic Thunder, Jerry Maguire and Valkyrie.

What would you say are Cruise's best roles? I've heard good things about Collateral.

Bunny
05-06-2013, 05:18 AM
Tropic Thunder.

Pike
05-06-2013, 06:16 AM
Rain Man.

edczxcvbnm
05-06-2013, 07:36 AM
The Last Samurai and Jerry Maguire. I have heard good things about Magnolia and a few others but I have yet to see them. I think that he also did a great job in Collateral. Part of the problem with Cruise is that he is too much of a movie star and it becomes more difficult to parse the character from the man. I personally enjoy Cruise and I think he does a far better job and usually picks far better pictures to do than most actors.

charliepanayi
05-06-2013, 08:51 AM
Definitely second Rain Main. He's also brilliant in Magnolia.

I Took the Red Pill
05-06-2013, 08:56 AM
His best performance that I've seen is in Magnolia, absolutely.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n2IVF9a2IA

Warning: NSFW language abound

Pheesh
05-06-2013, 09:16 AM
Jerry Maguire for me, I love that movie and some of his scenes in that film are pure brilliance.

Shiny
05-06-2013, 09:38 AM
His best performance that I've seen is in Magnolia, absolutely.

Seduce&Destroy (Part I) - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_n2IVF9a2IA)

Warning: NSFW language abound
Ding ding ding! We have a winner! This for me was his best performance out of all of his films, and I have seen all, but two of his films.

It was so good not just for the acting but because it was coming from some where real. He had a troubled relationship with his father so that scene with him and his dying father was just so gut wrenching.

Psychotic
05-06-2013, 10:12 AM
This thread seems to have lost something. I can't put my finger on it, but if I had to hazard a guess I'd say it might be that loving feeling.

Burtsplurt
05-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Just to reiterate what a lot of people have said about Magnolia. He actually took a risk and played a role other than Tom Cruise.

Loony BoB
05-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Too tough for me to call as I've not seen enough of them recently. The guy's a legend, though, I love his stuff. I mean, on the one hand, we have Maverick and Cole Trickle. On the other, we have Les Grossman and Stacee Jaxx. And on the third hand (what, you don't have three hands?), we have Charlie Babbitt and Lt. Daniel Kaffee.

I don't know if I've seen Magnolia. I don't think I have yet, but for some reason I'm not certain of this... so will have to check the trailers at some point when I'm home to either refresh my memory or confirm my thoughts.

Who am I kidding? His best role was obviously in Young Guns.

Pike
05-06-2013, 03:00 PM
I feel like I need to say Rain Man again just because that movie is JUST THAT GOOD, although I think Dustin Hoffman probably stole the show away from Tom Cruise in that one.

Forsaken Lover
05-06-2013, 03:06 PM
I guess I'll be checking out Magnolia next. Thanks everyone.

Although one flick that a lot of people brought up elsewhere but which I don't hear mentioned a lot overall is "Born on the Fourth of July." It sounds pretty good.

charliepanayi
05-06-2013, 03:09 PM
I feel like I need to say Rain Man again just because that movie is JUST THAT GOOD, although I think Dustin Hoffman probably stole the show away from Tom Cruise in that one.

I think Cruise's performance in Rain Man is certainly very underrated. Cruise has a character who is thoroughly unpleasant at the start, and he does a great job at making his transition into a better, more caring person believable.

Pike
05-06-2013, 03:13 PM

I think Cruise's performance in Rain Man is certainly very underrated. Cruise has a character who is thoroughly unpleasant at the start, and he does a great job at making his transition into a better, more caring person believable.

I agree. He really shone as an actor in that movie even though he was sort of overshadowed by Hoffman.

Shoeberto
05-06-2013, 03:15 PM
I think he was in his prime in the '80s and '90s. I haven't liked much of his work since the 2000s hit.

Magnolia is my absolute favorite of his because he legit is just playing a characature of himself.

Cuchulainn
05-06-2013, 03:16 PM
Tom's best performance is undoubtedly his ability to act straight for the past 50 years. It's a fantastic achievement.

Shorty
05-07-2013, 02:52 AM
smurf you all, Legend is his best film. :colbert:

Mission: Impossible is my favorite film he's in, but I'm torn between his performances in Magnolia and Interview with the Vampire. I love Jerry McGuire and The Last Samurai. Rain Man is good. A Few Good Men is good. I don't know why Vanilla Sky gets so much hate; I liked it.

Del Murder
05-07-2013, 04:33 AM
Scientology.

TrollHunter
05-07-2013, 04:58 AM
Relevant (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cbNtYdxB64A)
This is the only contribution I will make for now.

Laddy
05-07-2013, 05:24 AM
Magnolia. The best and correct answer is Magnolia.

XxSephirothxX
05-07-2013, 06:45 AM
Jerry Maguire is my favorite Cruise movie and one of my favorite films, period, but I'm not sure it's his career-best performance. He delivers Cameron Crowe's material perfectly, but he may be better in Collateral or Rain Man. He really transforms in Collateral.

Shit I need to see Magnolia huh

Loony BoB
05-07-2013, 08:58 AM
Interview with the Vampire
For some reason I had blanked that film out of my head, and I must agree it is arguably his best performance. Off the top of my head, it probably is his best. The one vampire movie that I don't see as Just Another Vampire Movie.

Aulayna
05-07-2013, 09:16 AM
His whole trying to ship Scientology as a reasonable intellectual discourse has been pretty good so far. Unfortunately it's lacking that certain something to make it a fully convincing performance.

Being serious though: Magnolia.

Shiny
05-07-2013, 04:19 PM
I don't know if I've seen Magnolia. I don't think I have yet, but for some reason I'm not certain of this...
You definitely would remember if you've seen it. The ending is unforgettable.

Shorty
05-08-2013, 04:07 AM
Interview with the Vampire
For some reason I had blanked that film out of my head, and I must agree it is arguably his best performance. Off the top of my head, it probably is his best. The one vampire movie that I don't see as Just Another Vampire Movie.

In agreement. His typical Tom Cruise attitude makes him the perfect fit for Lestat.