PDA

View Full Version : "Overrated"

Karifean
05-06-2013, 10:03 PM
I just posted this as a response to a GameFAQs thread on the FF VI (PSX) board titled "why is this game so overrated?" (in direct response to the title question)

Probably because the people who glorify FF VI are the same people that grew up along with it. They were amazed by it and their expectations for further FF games soared through the roof. VII came along and of course their expectations could not be matched. But VII was praised like crazy (and understandably so); they became a bit mad because they thought VI was better but it hadn't nearly gotten the same amount of praise as VII, giving them a sour view on VII. FF is a series that reinvents itself with every installment yet what they were looking for was a game like VI. IX came close to that so many of them took a liking to that - but again, it was kinda overlooked (sadly). Basically, no FF game past VI had as much of an impact on them as VI did. This all is of course only speculation but this is how I perceive the situation.

About VI itself, I think it's a great game. The only reason it emits a bit of an "overrated" vibe to me is because some fanboys insist on the fact that no FF (except maybe IX) every equalized VI while I think they did. Kefka is a bland villain - if you look at him from above. But there's so much more than that - and that is his presentation. He is goddamn scary. If there's one villain I absolutely do not want to come across ever, it's him. It's not his characterization, it's his presentation that makes him so good. But unfortunately, presentation is something that is perceived differently by every player, so it'll only work for some, but not for others.

Essentially, what I call the "FF Trap" is to play an FF and then play the rest in hopes of finding something similar. Mostly, this simply does not work because the FF games are radically different from each other. Sure, there are countless similarities but the point is, if you like one, that doesn't mean you'll like them all; it might even mean the opposite. So fanboys will continue to search for a game similar to the one that originally impressed them so much only to be disappointed because - once again - the new games are completely different.

I live in Europe and the first numbered FF game we got was VII. VII had the greatest impact on me out of all of them and so I will regard it highly - but I myself admit that I am probably overrating it. It's not my favorite FF game anymore, but for the longest time it was, simply due to its impact when I first played it. I wasn't used to this sort of game. The subsequent games will never have that plus point of impact anymore, therefore, you're likely to overrate the first FF you played - at least this applies to most FFs. That impact is not something anyone else can relate to, thus they cannot comprehend what it is that we see in the game - thereby comes the saying that they "overrate" the game.

Do you agree or disagree with my point of view? Any constructive criticism and discussion is welcome. I'm not saying what I wrote is fact, this is simply how I perceive it. How do you think an "overrating" is developed?

Bolivar
05-07-2013, 12:51 AM
I think you hit the nail on the head in a well-presented fashion.

I only disagree with it slightly because I was introduced with FFVII, and I saw FFVIII and even FFIX as faithful continuations of the same philosophy. I even thought FFIX was the better game the first time I beat it. I like a lot of the older games, but you're right in that none of them were able to live up to the impression FFVII left me.

So I'm a weird case but I can see what you said applying to most everyone else.

Jinx
05-07-2013, 04:00 AM
I've only played a few hours of FFVI and I wasn't impressed.

FFVII is waaay overrated, though.

theundeadhero
05-07-2013, 04:13 AM
From your point of view people that played FFI first like me and were blown away by it would never like another FF as much as the first.
Then people that played the fourth and were amazed by it would have a similar experience.
So on.

I played three Final Fantasies before FFVI and I claim it the best. It's not my personal favorite but I consider it better overall than any of the others in the series.
I'm sorry, but from my point of view this appears to be another person who had FFVII as their first Final Fantasy complaining about people who think FFVI is better.

I think over-rating comes from an outsider's perspective. Everyone looks for different things in games and enjoys different things in games. Someone who found those things in FFX is going to consider the opinion of someone who found what they like an FFIV over-rated.

Mirage
05-07-2013, 11:18 AM
I played 7 and 5 before 6, and I think the game is rated just right.

Loony BoB
05-07-2013, 11:50 AM
For me it's overrated, but luckily that kind of thing is down to personal opinion and doesn't have to be justified any further than "I think other people enjoyed the game more than I did." This is a much better way to look at things - not as "Is the game the best" but "Did you enjoy the game?" If people think it's the best, power to them for having their own opinion. I just happen to not feel the same way.

Sephiroth
05-07-2013, 12:01 PM
I think Final Fantasy VI deserves to get much love. For me it is rank II with Final Fantasy IX. The only people that overrate and think of something else as (negatively) overrated are polemical fanboys. And that makes every Final Fantasy overrated. But who cares what they think.

Sephiroth
05-09-2013, 01:17 PM
Lol, who censored o.v.e.r.r.a.t.e(.d)? That was amusing.

Quindiana Jones
05-09-2013, 02:21 PM
Is delectable censored now? That'd be nice. :)

Your idea of the FF Trap, I think, is unfortunately very accurate, although I don't think it applies to VI.

e; Oh man, this thread makes so much more sense now I know what it's censored to!

The game is very delectable indeed, but I don't think it's overrated. I think that is a very poor use of the term.

blackmage_nuke
05-09-2013, 04:17 PM
I think this game deserves all the praise it gets, it is not ununderated