PDA

View Full Version : A change of taste?

Unbreakable Will
05-07-2013, 02:32 PM
As if corresponding with my change in life I've found that I really enjoy some country music, most of it is still shit in my opinion, but it was surprising to me since I've had a general distaste for it all my life. I also listen to a good bit of classical, opera (Andrea Bocelli mostly), and foreign music such as finnish melodic death metal, japanese tsugaru shamisen and, of course, K-Pop.

Looking back on how I only listened to rock music I can't help but feel sorry for younger me, I missed out on a lot.

As you get older do you find yourself listening to a broader spectrum of music? Do you find that things you hated as a child have grown on you, like country music and me?

P.S.- Damn you Darius Rucker for covering Darius Rucker - Wagon Wheel - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvKyBcCDOB4) it's so goddamn amazing.

Pheesh
05-07-2013, 02:52 PM
Most recently I'm into a lot of music that has vocals that I was not able to stand as little as a year ago. Over the course of my life however my taste in music has grown drastically. When I was younger all I listened to was 70's rock (Led Zep, Deep Purple etc.), then I had a pop phase, then rap (specifically eminem, who I still love, and for one terrible year *shudders* insane clown posse), then grunge and nu metal, then prog and now a lot of djent and alt. rock.

The best thing is I still love all of those genres of music and can put on anything by any of the bands I used to like (maybe not the poppier ones) and still appreciate it.

Loony BoB
05-07-2013, 03:51 PM
With the exception of thrash/death metal, I've not yet come across a genre I haven't enjoyed. Given I have my stuff on shuffle more often than not, this means I'm always listening to a pretty wide variety.

In short, outside of suddenly getting a taste for screaming and the thrashing of drums to not obvious beat whatsoever... I don't think there are any new genres I could really get into! So long as the song is good, I'm happy.

I guess as a kid I didn't listen to much orchestra or dance music but I would put that down to ignorance and a lack of radio play more than anything.

Jinx
05-07-2013, 04:46 PM
I was listening to Tori Amos when I was 6, so. I really didn't have any room to grow, just new music to listen to and love.

Pike
05-07-2013, 04:48 PM
No I still listen to the same stuff. By which I mean videogame music.

Jinx
05-07-2013, 04:50 PM

And 80s techno-pop? :p

Shorty
05-08-2013, 04:10 AM
Since twelve-ish, I've transitioned from pop to rap to troutty punk rock to screamo to 80's new wave and goth whatever to indie indie indie indie indie and a little mix of everything from my past lives.

Pike
05-08-2013, 04:26 AM

And 80s techno-pop? :p

Same difference. It's all bleeps and bloops. The best kind of music.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-08-2013, 03:10 PM
Most recently I'm into a lot of music that has vocals that I was not able to stand as little as a year ago.

:jess: And I'm happy you can appreciate it now (or at least tolerate it)!

I like a lot of folk-ish music (Iron and Wine for example), and a lot a blue grass (Earl Scruggs), but I can't get into modern country.

Some old stuff, like Hank Sr., is good for a change of pace.

I like a little bit of everything else.