PDA

View Full Version : Your one favourite show.

Night Fury
05-07-2013, 11:12 PM
I love all of Whedon's work, I really do. I adore it.

I was a latecomer to Firefly because I wasn't able to watch it until I bought the boxset for myself at 16. So I was late to it, but when I watched it. WOW. I fell in so much love, it really appealed to me at that age too, my sense of adventure...

But my favourite show is Buffy the Vampire Slayer. It just, it's the one show I will always be able to put on an episode of, and it will never get boring. I've written essays on Buffy, I've studied the text and now it just makes so much sense to me, and I keep learning more and more about it, and the older I get the more I connect with things the characters go through that I never did before. I will never, ever not love Buffy. I have watched it since I was 7, I grew up with the Scoobies - through the pain, the losses and the victories. Some of Buffy's spirit I'm sure has passed on to me, because I have never felt like I'm not equal to a man. I've always felt I'm BETTER than a man because Buffy taught me to be strong and that men don't have to come in and save you, you can save yourself! Heck, you can save a man too! I just love it so much. I watched Once More with Feeling last night and could not get my eyes away from the screen. Nearly every episode is just magic and sometimes I cry watching an episode because I love it so damn much. :bigsmile:

Phil has never seen it. You have no idea how freaking excited I am to watch it with him as a first time viewer. I really, really hope he doesn't spoil it for himself. This is a show I love so much and I can't wait for him to fall in love with it too. And for me to get to watch it all the way through AGAIN. :D :D :D

If you could only pick ONE show as your all time favourite show, what would it be and why? Do you have an attachment to it like I do with Buffy? Or do you just enjoy it because it's fun... idk! :p

Flying Mullet
05-07-2013, 11:17 PM
I've always had a soft spot in my heart for Scrubs. I relate with JD and Turk really well and the brand of humor in the show is right up my alley.

Jinx
05-07-2013, 11:33 PM
I think everyone knows my answer to this.

Unbreakable Will
05-08-2013, 01:02 AM
When it comes to older shows my favorite has to be Smallville. Loved it in the first few seasons, not so much later on but man oh man those beginning seasons really made me geek out every fucking time.

As for new shows my favorite is Archer by far. The show is so goddamned funny that it leaves me crying just about every episode. :jess:

NorthernChaosGod
05-08-2013, 01:24 AM
My favorite show will always be House. I love that grumpy doctor. :squee:

Laddy
05-08-2013, 02:08 AM
Survivor, at least early on, was a genuinely good show before it became so nauseatingly exploitative and borderline unwatchable. Barring that, Star Trek: The Next Generation.

Jowy
<a href=http://video.adultswim.com/the-venture-bros/>the best show aired in the past decade</a>

Bunny
My immediate reaction to the question is to yell Firefly, but I don't think that is entirely accurate. It was one season of some of the best television ever made, but there were some aspects of the show that were kind of lackluster (the plot was overall kind of meh, though the standalone plots were amazing).

The more I think about it, the more I arrive at the conclusion that Veronica Mars is my favorite show of all time. Despite losing steam over the second and third season, they were still relatively strong. The actors gave wonderful performances despite lackluster scripts and it is just a very fun show to watch. I have seen it probably half a dozen times and will probably start again shortly.

Del Murder
05-08-2013, 02:14 AM
The Simpsons is the best show ever. Many of the later seasons are not as good but I could watch seasons 2-10 over and over again...and have!

fire_of_avalon
05-08-2013, 02:39 AM
M*A*S*H.

Raistlin
05-08-2013, 02:52 AM
The Wire is the best show ever made, and I rewatch it every year. It has an amount of realism and brutal honesty that is unprecedented on mainstream TV. Every story the show tells is deeply compelling.

I also have to give an honorable mention to House, which -- while nowhere near the quality of The Wire (and not much is) -- is definitely one of my all-time favorite shows, if you couldn't tell from my signature. House is an extremely unique character that is oddly relatable; I have watched all of the first 5 or 6 seasons multiple times, and it is a show that I never really tire of. The last couple seasons were admittedly much weaker, and I still hate with the passion the Tritter "House-is-a-horrible-druggie" subplot in part of season 3, but I dearly love the rest of the show.

Shorty
05-08-2013, 03:22 AM
I have a strong inclination to say The Office. Seasons 2 and 3 are so magical, and even into some of season 4 and it kicked right back up with season 5. I have a lot of emotional feelings attached to this show with things that were going on in my personal life when I first started watching it. But the way these past few seasons and Michael leaving has affected how I feel about it. I feel the same about 30 Rock and how much the show changed in the last couple of seasons.

Parks and Rec is just so smurfing good and it tops everything. I have no emotional feelings attached to this show, yet it manages to get me right in the feels and meets all of my emotional and comedic needs. The characters are lovable and not too overbearing and they progress in ways that don't make them feel worlds different than when you first met them. The story and episodes are so good, and Leslie Knope rivals Liz Lemon for the top spot in World's Greatest Feminist. Not to mention that she and Ben are so adorable that it's sick.

Parks and Rec.

Denmark
05-08-2013, 03:31 AM
Futurama. Though that's probably because I'm a giant nerd.

black orb
05-09-2013, 09:54 AM
>>> The X Files hands down..:luca:

Loony BoB
05-09-2013, 12:41 PM
I find it hard to compare cartoons to comedies to dramas to whatever else. I also find it hard to compare the emotion I felt over a TV show ten years ago to one I watch now, because I can't remember things 100%. I also don't watch as many different TV shows as some other people do.

Still, I'll give it a go!

When I was a kid, Transformers was the best thing ever. Simpsons was awesome, too.
When I was a teenager, Friends was the best show ever, and I never missed an episode. I think it remains the only show that I have always watched, even in it's later years (not counting shows that are still running right now). Star Trek: Voyager and Stargate SG-1 were cool, too. Oh, and Roswell.
Over the past ten or so years, I really enjoyed shows like Lost and various stand up comedy shows. I'm not sure if the latter count...
Now, though, my favourite show is Suits.

In the end, it's probably between Friends and Suits, and since Suits is still going I suppose I'll say my favourite ever complete TV series is Friends.

blackmage_nuke
05-09-2013, 02:22 PM
Gun to my head, probably F•R•I•E•N•D•S. No gun to my head, smurf you there are too many great shows to choose from!

Shows that might've made it to be the best:
Life on Mars is great but its too short to watch over and over (don't get me wrong it's brevity is it's charm), and I try not to think about ashes to ashes
Community falls off a bit after season 3.
Game of Thrones has yet to finish but it could be up there.
Breaking Bad didn't grip me in the first season or so (though to be fair neither did Friends)
Futurama is great but the latest season has a few flaws which annoys me as does one of the movies
30 rock starts and ends with mediocre seasons
Stargate lost Jack O'Neill at the end. (I even liked Vala)

NeoCracker
05-09-2013, 02:25 PM
I'd have to go with Cowboy Bebop.

It's got pretty much anything you could want. The jokes are hilarious, the desings are wonderful, and the writing is fantastic. The worst episode of the series is better then most other shows best episode. And not to mention the best music every written for a TV show, as well as some of the best music over all. Closest thing to a perfect show I've ever seen.

Araciel
05-09-2013, 03:00 PM
Firefly.

I need not explain why.

Sephiroth
05-09-2013, 04:03 PM
Friends or Warehouse 13.

Miriel
05-09-2013, 07:03 PM
Oh sheesh, this is so hard to choose.

There are so many shows that I just adore. Firefly, Buffy, Angel, Pushing Daisies, Parks and Recreation, first 2 seasons of The Office, I Love Lucy, Lost, Twilight Zone, Stargate SG-1, Battlestar Galactica, The West Wing, The Good Wife, Fresh Prince of Bel Air, Sherlock, Downton Abby, etc.

But if I had to choose one and only one, it would be the first 2 seasons of Alias.

I was in love with the show. It's the first show that made me a fangirl. I used to make Alias themed Livejournal layouts and icons. Look at my work (http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/layout/Aliaslayout.png) circa 2005, lol.

Even all these years later, I think there are very few female characters who had as much strength and depth and vulnerabilities as Sydney Bristow. The show had everything I could ask for from a good show. Amazing relationships, great main characters with GREAT supporting characters, a mythology, action, makes-you-squeal romance, and the badass heroine.

Sure, it went off the cliffs after Season 2, but man, those first 2 seasons are unmatchable. Especially the pilot episode. Only Lost comes close to being as epic from the get-go.

Pike
05-09-2013, 07:11 PM
Digimon Tamers (aka Digimon season three).

#yolo

DanielCLFFF13
05-10-2013, 02:56 AM
Spongebob Squarepant
Serial Squarepant Spongebob makes me able to learn a lot of things. One was about friendship and life. And these are the words of wisdom that I found.
"If money could make me forget my best friend, then I would prefer to not have any money at all." Spongebob Squarepant
"Knowledge can not replace friendship. I would rather be an idiot than lose you" Patrick Star.
"It's better to feel loved and lost than never to have loved at all." Plankton
"One for all and all for one." Eugene Crab
"Uniform is a symbol of oppression." Squidward Tentacle

escobert
05-10-2013, 03:21 AM
It's Always Sunny.
Best. Show. Ever.

I Took the Red Pill
05-10-2013, 03:41 AM
Seinfeld.

In the future though, when I've had time to rewatch all the episodes, Peep Show might take the cake. The Mark-and-Jez dynamic is always wonderfully done, and it has two of the best supporting characters of all time (Super Hans and Alan Johnson).

Calliope
05-10-2013, 06:31 AM
My top 20 is probably: Father Ted, Black Books, Monty Python, The Simpsons, Scrubs, Community, Lost, Breaking Bad, Dexter, The Walking Dead, Family Guy, South Park, Buffy, Gargoyles, Batman: The Animated Series, Batman of the Future, Ducktales, X-Men, X-Men: Evolution, Friends.

I believe it's a tie between Buffy, and Father Ted.

Pheesh
05-13-2013, 01:41 AM
For me it's still The West Wing, and probably always will be. The first four seasons of that show are absolutely genius and it grips me no matter how many times I've seen it (which is a LOT).

Special mention goes to Seinfeld as a very close second. The Simpsons and South Park would be up there if the later seasons were better.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-13-2013, 02:29 AM
My favorite show will always be Lost. I'm actually currently looking towards working on reading all the books from the "Lost book club" (reading all the books that appear or are referenced in Lost) just for fun.

I have a few below Lost though that I never grow tired of. These are The IT Crowd, Spaced, Boy Meets World, Rosanne, Futurama, Avatar, and Space Ghost Coast to Coast.

The Summoner of Leviathan
05-13-2013, 04:08 AM
Charmed or Sailor Moon, though Buffy would get honorable mentions. I know Charmed isn't that great but it is just addictive. SERIOUSLY.

Other shows among my top favorite are Eureka, Sanctuary, and Brothers and Sisters. Oh and Murder She Wrote reruns. FTW.

Locky, my best friend hasn't seen Buffy either. I am forcing her to when she gets back in the country!

Aulayna
05-13-2013, 11:37 AM
I thought long and hard about this but I honestly can't pick one show. I have a veritable array I love and I just can't narrow it down to one above all.

Shiny
05-13-2013, 01:43 PM
Futurama. Though that's probably because I'm a giant nerd.

I will also second this. I don't even care if it's a rerun, I will watch it if I see it on.

Burtsplurt
05-13-2013, 07:09 PM
Easily The Wire. The stories, the depth of the characters and their flaws, and the social aspect are just unparalleled. Maybe one day someday there will be something that rivals it, but I think it'll be a while.

Honourable mentions: Breaking Bad, Blackadder, Peep Show, Star Trek: TNG.

Spatvark
05-16-2013, 10:57 PM
Veronica Mars.

As much as I love Buffy the Vampire Slayer and House, I honestly can't think of a better character than Veronica Mars. It's no wonder Kristen Bell seems crap in everything she's been in since (though watch Gracie's Choice; sure it's a made-for-TV movie based on a true story, it's also genuinely really good and KB is excellent in it), she hasn't had a character nearly as deep and believable as Veronica Mars to portray. The overarching plots for each season were genuinely compelling (yes, even season 3; it was the case-of-the-week plots that really let that season down), the mood and atmosphere was nailed down perfectly I felt, how the main cast interacted with each other was brilliantly done, and I liked how some characters became better people, while others became worse, that the one-dimensional characters would be revealed to have more to them (Don Lamb in Nobody Puts Baby in a Corner, anyone?). But it always comes back to Veronica Mars and Kristen Bell, who in coming together, really made this show something special.

I'm really looking forward to the Kickstarter-funded movie, even though I'm sure it'll inevitably fail to live up to my expectations. ;_;

Shadowdust
05-22-2013, 03:28 AM
Buffy has and always will be my favorite. Friends obviously gets an honorable mention.

Parker
05-22-2013, 02:32 PM
I really can't choose one, but maybe Six Feet Under.

The Wire also. Too hard to choose.

Chris
05-22-2013, 10:45 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-9T2vrvmZYBA/ULEk2HFzamI/AAAAAAAADvc/367fUEIeqf4/s1600/xena.jpg

This for so many reasons. I have some many childhood memories connected with this show, and whenever I feel down or depressed, I put on one of my favorite episodes, and it lifts me right back up again.

theundeadhero
05-23-2013, 07:24 PM
I wish I had an answer. I've never been a big TV watcher. I watched cartoons growing up and occasionally caught something on TV as a teenager but now mine's never on. The only shows I've ever watched regularly are Sons of Anarchy, Archer, Star Trek: TNG, My Little Pony, and Inuyasha. But I do really wanna watch Firefly.

If I had to pick one of those it would be Archer.

Pumpkin
05-24-2013, 08:55 PM
Really hard to say, but probably Friends.

Yup, I'm just that lame.

Gzussaves
05-25-2013, 01:26 AM
It's so hard for me to pick favorites since i love so many different things. The most recent thing that had me going oh man that was holy cow amazing was The Newsroom.. the whole season just had me floored