PDA

View Full Version : Mass Effect Is Objectively The Most Overrated Game Series

Laddy
05-08-2013, 06:23 AM
Prove me wrong.

Quindiana Jones
05-08-2013, 06:26 AM
Yeah, it probably got somewhere up there by the end.

Aulayna
05-08-2013, 08:31 AM
Prove me wrong.

WrjwaqZfjIY

Vyk
05-08-2013, 09:02 AM
A word which recently has been used liberally as a way of discrediting something without having to give a proper justification, most often when someone finds they have a disliking for a popular phenomenon and is resentful of those who embrace it. Often used by anti-trendies.

A term used to describe something that gets more hype and credit than it's actually worth.

So due to personal opinion and anyone who hates anything that's well known, no matter how brilliant something is, if it gets a lot of media attention then there's always someone who will think it's overrated.

I posit, that it is, in fact: over-hated

It's become trendy

maybee
05-08-2013, 11:52 AM
Yes I agree.

:jess:

Pike
05-08-2013, 01:18 PM
Haven't played it enough to form an opinion. It's not anywhere near the top of my backlog, either, so it'll be a while before I get around to it.

Quindiana Jones
05-08-2013, 02:32 PM
No, I genuinely feel it became overrated and more popular than it deserved. ME was a masterpiece of gaming and world (fuck it, galaxy) building, hindered by some minor flaws. ME2 built upon some strengths of the first, but sacrificed its most important ones for no acceptable reason. Nonetheless, a very good game. The third was unplayable to me.

I consider the end result of the series overrated, because it flummoxes me that anybody could play that catastrophe of a game. Giving it a rating above "utter clusterfuck of incompetence" makes it overrated. :)

Pike
05-08-2013, 02:44 PM
~Super Unpopular Opinion Time~

Mass Effect got so popular because girls love the whole romance sideplot thing and because guys love the waifus. It's popular in the same way that movies and TV shows are popular - because of the characters. No one plays Mass Effect for the gameplay. Well, people do, but they don't get super into it.

Madame Adequate
05-08-2013, 02:46 PM
I played the first one for the gamepl... oh who am I kidding, I played it for Ashley Williams. Played the second and third for the same reason.

She's my space waifu.

Garrus is my space husbando.

Quindiana Jones
05-08-2013, 02:47 PM
Well, that is actively incorrect. :colbert:

I missed ME's more in-depth and variable gameplay when I played 2 and *spit* 3.

Madame Adequate
05-08-2013, 02:50 PM
Yeah the first one was a genuinely amazing game but 2 and 3 were merely good/great depending on tastes.

That said they somehow made the multiplayer in 3 absolutely amazing and the best part of the game that isn't tending gently to Ashley Williams when she's in hospital and pretending you're her doting nurse who does everything for her

Pike
05-08-2013, 02:51 PM
Edit: Ninja'd by MILF xD This is directed toward Quin:

Well you accept that the series has flaws, then!

I suppose in my first post I meant "people who think it's OMG THE ALL TIME BEST GAME SERIES EVER only play it for the characters."

P.S. we all know that Tali is your waifu. :aimkiss:

Del Murder
05-08-2013, 02:55 PM
Prove me wrong.
Sure:

1. It's really fun.
2. It is impossible for something to be 'objectively' overrated. Ratings, by definition, are subjective.

You're welcome, Laddy!

Madame Adequate
05-08-2013, 02:56 PM
Wait a second Quin are you suggesting that ME2 is better than ME3? :eyebrow:

And Del we've been over this, when it's MY opinion, it's objective and factual.

Del Murder
05-08-2013, 02:58 PM
Yeah that statement doesn't get old when made over the internet. :roll2

Pike
05-08-2013, 02:59 PM
Yeah that statement doesn't get old when made over the internet. :roll2

It's not just over the internet, he does this in real life too. :shobon:

Del Murder
05-08-2013, 03:01 PM
It's probably more effective when done with a British accent.

Pike
05-08-2013, 03:02 PM
Things get really wild when he does his Irish one and starts threatening kneecaps.

Del Murder
05-08-2013, 04:20 PM
Let's keep bedroom antics out of this thread.

Interesting that many of you liked ME1 the best. It's the only one I haven't played. I loved ME2 and ME3 though. I don't think they're that overrated because I do think they are some of the best games to be released this generation. The characters are great, the story is good, the space exploration is hella fun, and while the combat is not groundbreaking it is at least entertaining (if you choose the right class).

Quindiana Jones
05-08-2013, 05:04 PM
:heart: Tali.

DanielCLFFF13
05-08-2013, 05:25 PM
Gameplay and story of Mass Effect sequel is really interesting. Third person shooter are included in this game is very exciting. Taking the story of galactic war, might make players more comfortable to play this game. The graphics of this game was good, and when we talk to certain characters we could choose what you want to talk about. But better if we could visit some places, such as the earth and other places. But this is my opinion.

theundeadhero
05-08-2013, 05:28 PM
I counter with The Elder Scrolls series being objectively the most overrated game series :colbert:

Madame Adequate
05-08-2013, 05:37 PM
When people make websites about how Daggerfall gave them the courage to come out of the closet or accept being transgendered we'll have something to talk about. Not to diminish if it helped them, great, but Mass Effect is so not good enough in any sense except world-building in the original and the sheer alpha badassery of Sovereign to warrant people doing that.

DanielCLFFF13
05-08-2013, 05:46 PM
I counter with The Elder Scrolls series being objectively the most overrated game series :colbert:

The Elder Scrolls sequel includes a great game I think. I played The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim and I have not finished till now. And makes me amazed, in Skyrim our character could get married. Gameplay and graphics are better than the Kingdom of Amalur: Reckoning. But this is my opinion. Every person is different, right?

Goldenboko
05-08-2013, 05:49 PM
Prove me wrong.

http://www.thewebsiteofdoom.com/new/wp-content/uploads/2012/06/lex-luthor-wrong.jpg

Shauna
05-08-2013, 06:12 PM
And makes me amazed, in Skyrim our character could get married.

This isn't a thing that started with Skyrim. x3

Really enjoyed the whole ME series, though. 2 and 3 got progressively worse in terms of gameplay, but I powered through because I enjoyed the story and the characters enough to motivate me through the bad times. :3

Psychotic
05-08-2013, 06:52 PM
You are objectively the most overrated EoFF member.

Prove me wrong.

I Took the Red Pill
05-09-2013, 06:51 AM
I think that a younger version of me would've fallen in love with Mass Effect, but as it stands I got bored with the first one after 5 or 6 hours. Most AAA games that are generally regarded as kickass usually have me saying "meh" eventually. I don't think it's necessarily a fault with the games, I just think that I get bored with most single player campaigns these days.

Wolf Kanno
05-10-2013, 04:13 AM
I counter with The Elder Scrolls series being deliciously the most delectable game series :colbert:

This

I don't know what's so great about The Elder Scroll series.

I already told you guys what was so great about it :colbert:

The fact we can get the best part of the Elder Scroll experience by reading the wiki instead of playing the games?

For Laddy, I will simply point out how amusing it is to make a statement about an delectable series in an FF series forum.

For a less snarky answer, I really liked ME1, the game had issues but overall it was a fun experience and I could see why the franchise took off. ME2 on the other hand left a bitter taste in my mouth. While the characters and their personal stories were very well written, the gameplay and the overall story really suffered due to a lot of changes in the game. I've yet to play ME3, I took a break after finishing ME2 and decided to do some retro gaming. The revelation that ME3 continues ME2's gameplay choices has me less interested in jumping back into the fray cause I'm really not a first/third person shooter type of guy, and the first game at least had a proper leveling system as opposed to that horribly dumbed down customization system in ME2. I guess I did forget to blog about my thoughts on it...

Laddy
05-10-2013, 04:30 AM
Final Fantasy is delectable, but in a different way. Final Fantasy is truly an excellent series at its best, but as a whole it does quite reach the caliber it's so acclaimed for.

Mass Effect was just a collection of shooting galleries with dating sim "x or y" dialogue trees involving recycled BioWare characters and tropes used since Baldur's Gate, typically with very transparent consequences (like filling Loyalty bars will determine whether or not a squadmate dies or "galactic readiness" defeats the purpose of having non-linear narrative choice).

It's not to say Mass Effect is "bad", it's just not terribly original or compelling, betraying the of what made many RPG's of this type great.

I like Garrus though. :3

Del Murder
05-10-2013, 07:22 AM
Yeah but this time it was in space.

Shattered Dreamer
05-11-2013, 02:18 PM
I played this series for the first time when Mass Effect 3 was the free game of the month on Playstation Plus and I absolutely LOVED it. Once I finished it I bought Mass Effect, then Mass Effect 2 and now I'm on my second Mass Effect 3 play through and honestly the ME series is now one of my favourites. Getting to play through 3 games where your choices in one can drastically effect the others is something more games should be doing.

Freya
05-11-2013, 05:09 PM
~Super Unpopular Opinion Time~

Mass Effect got so popular because girls love the whole romance sideplot thing and because guys love the waifus. It's popular in the same way that movies and TV shows are popular - because of the characters. No one plays Mass Effect for the gameplay. Well, people do, but they don't get super into it.
Pft please I don't love it for the romance sideplot. That's so... sexist to say and from YOU pike, really? No. Most my friends I made through ME that were females loved it because it was one of the only games you can find that you have a nonsexualized female protagonist. How many games can you find an actual female protagonist that isn't somehow scantly clad at least? Now in the Elder scrolls games, yeah you can make your own character but it's more like a "faceless" avatar. ME put in an attitude, an actual character even though you can still customize them and their dialog.

What makes Mass Effect great, and what many other games haven't done, is the carried over story lines. Of course they didn't do it perfectly by the end but they did it. How many other games have you come across that by the choices you made in the previous game affect the newer game? Not many at all. Bioware is one of the only ones to do such a thing. So while it wasn't the most perfect game, you could create a character and have choices and decisions affect various games. You created a story for you character. YOU were the one in more control of your story. It's not perfect but it deserves respect for starting something that could affect the rest of gaming.

If other gaming companies took the idea for flags to continue over in series, people would be more attached and more inclined to follow a series. Not only does it provide customer loyalty but it cause customer replay-ability. With not one game but all of them over various times. You want someone to really love a series? Get them to want to replay it! Example, The final fantasy latest entries. With XIII-2 they tried to add in different endings so you'd play it multiple times. And Lightning Returns? they said you'll have to play it more than once to get all the scenes. You want people to want to replay something. Mass Effect does it well by giving you the options that affect the series.

So xP all you haters.