PDA

View Full Version : One week's worth of groceries

Calliope
05-09-2013, 06:32 AM
I thought this photo essay (http://thoughtcatalog.com/2013/15-photos-of-a-week-of-groceries-from-different-countries-around-the-world/) on what people around the world buy to eat each week was very interesting. On that note, I would encourage you to take a similar picture, or maybe a picture of what's in your fridge - like instagram, but with raw ingredients instead of individual prepared meals. Yes.

Pike
05-09-2013, 07:52 AM
I think you all would be bored by a picture of a freezer full of frozen pizza. :shobon:

NorthernChaosGod
05-09-2013, 08:18 AM
I'll do this tomorrow. If I remember.

Mirage
05-09-2013, 10:02 AM
I can't do this because I don't shop for a whole week at a time.

Loony BoB
05-09-2013, 12:30 PM
I could probably get a copy/paste of one of the bigger shops we've done, but I don't think I could get together a picture. It wouldn't really be a week's food, either... just what we needed at the time.

Miriel
05-09-2013, 07:05 PM
I saw this a little back and thought it was such an excellent way to see the differences in how people eat. I wish there were more photos from each country though to get a broader representation.

I'll try and do this after my next big shopping run. :D Although it won't be a super accurate look since I'm currently not eating any processed food, grains, or sugar.

Jowy
05-09-2013, 09:55 PM
my fridge as of this afternoon:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/psycho_mantis/null_zps4279e0ac.jpg

Jinx
05-09-2013, 10:12 PM
tofurky wtf

Jowy
05-09-2013, 10:16 PM
30g of protein per link and its hella cheap.

Pike
05-09-2013, 10:19 PM
dude veggie meats are great

brofist

Chris
05-09-2013, 10:22 PM
Shopping for a whole week isn't fun. :( I hate planning what to eat, and I really enjoy picking up whatever I feel like when I'm shopping.

Calliope
05-10-2013, 11:57 AM

*high-five*

Although, my inner librarian is twitching. Why do you need three cartons of eggs? Why isn't everything neatly organized? :(

Slothy
05-10-2013, 01:05 PM

Don't care how many grams of protein are in it, if that protein didn't come from an animal it is inferior. :doublecolbert:

Loony BoB
05-10-2013, 01:18 PM
I looked for the biggest shop on my recent Sainsbury's online order history and cut out the non-consumables...

1x Bonne Maman Raspberry Conserve 370g
1x Happy Egg Large Free Range Eggs x6
1x Kellogg's Rice Krispies Squares, Honeycomb Crunch Bars 4x32g
1x Kellogg's Rice Krispies Squares, Marshmallow 4x28g
1x Magnum Classic x3 330ml
1x Nestlé Golden Nuggets 375g
1x Petits Filous Fromage Frais 4x100g
1x Petits Filous Strawberry& Apricot 4x100g
1x Sainsbury's British Mini Chicken Fillet 400g
1x Sainsbury's British Roast Chicken Slices x7 135g
1x Sainsbury's Chicken & Sweetcorn Soup 600g
1x Sainsbury's Deli-Style Coleslaw, Be Good To Yourself 300g
1x Sainsbury's Mangoes, Ripe & Ready x2
1x Sainsbury's Mixed Peppers x3
1x Sainsbury's Onions, Large x3
1x Weight Watchers Chicken Tikka & Rice 400g
1x Weight Watchers Spanish Chicken 400g
2x Dolmio PastaVita Tomato & Chilli 300g
2x Lockets Cough Sweets, Medicated Honey and Lemon x9 43g
2x Pringles Sour Cream & Onion 190g
2x Sainsbury's Carrots, Caulifllower & Peas Microwaveable Steam Bags x4 540g
2x Sainsbury's Mild Cheddar, So Organic 270g
2x Tropicana Orange And Passionfruit Juice 1L
3x Wrigley's Extra Ice Mints Roll

Jinx
05-10-2013, 03:11 PM
I don't understand vegetarians and vegans who eat fake meat. What's the point of eating fake meat if you don't want to eat meat? Tofu itself, I can understand, as tofu is yummy. But tofurky? Come on.

Loony BoB
05-10-2013, 03:13 PM
I imagine it's because they want to eat meat but don't want it to result in the death of animals.

Calliope
05-10-2013, 06:42 PM
I don't understand vegetarians and vegans who eat fake meat. What's the point of eating fake meat if you don't want to eat meat? Tofu itself, I can understand, as tofu is yummy. But tofurky? Come on.

-Food and eating have social and celebratory components to their consumption, and faux meat products allow some level of inclusiveness. It's nice to sometimes go to an event such as a picnic, barbeque, or party, and be able to eat something visually similar to everyone else (a hot dog, for example), without being asked why you're not eating "normal" food, and having to explain the concept of veganism to someone for the umpteenth time when all you wanted to do was eat your lunch.

-Tofurky products are convenient. I can easily pick them up when grocery shopping or don't feel like cooking from scratch, but more importantly, my in-laws can easily identify and pick them up if they are organizing an event, which cannot be said for some of the many many other things I could also eat.

-I don't eat a lot of faux meat, because it's much more expensive than tofu, tempeh, beans and lentils (but still cheaper than quality meat), and I was not a particular fan of meat to begin with. Some faux products taste terrible - but some of them are delicious, with a taste and texture quite close to what it is supposed to emulate (Smart Bacon, Tofurky Kielbasa sausages, Daiya Mozzarella). For a hardcore animal-product fan who is looking to eliminate meat from their diet (whether for animal-rights, environmental, budget or health reasons - not all veg*ans hate meat), these products can be a godsend in adjusting their palate and weaning themselves off of the real thing. I imagine also that the occasional vego would try this stuff because they've forgotten what the real thing is like and wants to remember what the fuss was about.

PS - I don't like to eat very much at one time. A Tofurky sausage contains almost four servings worth of protein, so I'll sometimes eat half a sausage rather than try to eat a cupful of beans, for example.

Setzer the Gambler
05-11-2013, 12:44 AM
Hmmm...
*opens fridge*
Bread
Cheese slices
Butter.

*feels like a Sims*

I have to restock :/

Miriel
05-13-2013, 11:17 PM
Here's this week's grocery haul.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v516/hannahgoesrawr/f6b24695-cd83-44d1-bb19-8cd4b59196ae_zps90e752f0.jpg

This is supplemented by the steak/chicken breast/shrimp/sausages and other protein we have in our freezer, and Italian meats like salami and cheeses that we always have on hand.

Pike
05-14-2013, 01:40 AM
Between the brussels sprouts and the asparagus, Miriel has got great taste in veggies.

Calliope
05-14-2013, 03:05 AM
Please make me dinner when I am in your direction ;_;

I have this book out from the library and it is only fueling my fascination:

Slothy
05-14-2013, 03:07 AM
Between the brussels sprouts and the asparagus, Miriel has got great taste in veggies.

Shame she had to ruin the picture with bread.

Shorty
05-14-2013, 03:23 AM
For a hardcore animal-product fan who is looking to eliminate meat from their diet (whether for animal-rights, environmental, budget or health reasons - not all veg*ans hate meat), these products can be a godsend in adjusting their palate and weaning themselves off of the real thing. I imagine also that the occasional vego would try this stuff because they've forgotten what the real thing is like and wants to remember what the fuss was about.

This was exactly the case for me when I went vegetarian. If you can accept that there will be a difference in the faux meat, it doesn't taste that different when you're eating it. A boca burger slathered with cheese (I wasn't 100% vegetarian, okay) sauteed onions and mushrooms, avocado, tomato, seasonings and condiments of your choice tastes almost just like the real thing. There were times when I had been vegetarian for months and I would get the worst craving for a cheeseburger. It's helpful to have that illusion to keep yourself in line with the diet you've selected. Boca beef in your burrito or fajitas can add just that little extra amount to make you feel a little more full and satisfied. Same for faux sausages in the morning with your waffles or whatever. You get used to it.

I've been toying with the idea of going veg again but it's so hard once you go back to meat ;________________________;

When I get moulah I'll post my picture. Being out of a job for five weeks has left me poor as trout and my mommy has to take care of me.

fire_of_avalon
05-14-2013, 03:45 AM
This is pretty interesting. If I can remember to take a photo this Sunday, I will.

Shorty
05-14-2013, 05:56 AM
we went shopping

asparagus
cabbage
red onions
two bags of frozen broccoli florets
four zucchini
four yellow summer squash
two boxes of strawberries
two boxes of blackberries
coffee
babybel cheese

not pictured that I would have bought if I didn't already have it:
chicken and/or salmon
sweet potatoes
dubliner cheese
whipped cream

This is just my stuff for the week. My family buys close to ten times this amount from Costco, Safeway and farmer's markets around here for their meals. I just had to throw out armloads of vegetables from the fridge they didn't use that had gone bad from last week. :stare:

Del Murder
05-14-2013, 06:47 AM

Shame she had to ruin the picture with bread.
The bread was for my manwiches.

Pike
05-14-2013, 10:19 AM
I'm not even vegetarian (mostly because I tried it once and it was more obnoxious to plan than I'd anticipated) but I love stuff like boca burgers, especially the chicken flavored kind. Make a burger with one of those bad boys and you can hardly tell the difference.

Jowy
05-14-2013, 10:51 AM

*high-five*

Although, my inner librarian is twitching. Why do you need three cartons of eggs? Why isn't everything neatly organized? :(

i figured you'd notice those poor grapes getting squished first! things stay organized for a day or so until we have guests over who completely ruin the cold food feng shui we have happening. having three cartons of eggs is what happens when you don't properly communicate what you plan on knocking off of the grocery list! we can realistically consolidate them down to one carton at this point though.

Don't care how many grams of protein are in it, if that protein didn't come from an animal it is inferior. :doublecolbert:

i eat fish and poultry, i won't disagree with that. but i'll be damned if there aren't some creatively tasty ways to get your necessary intake!

But tofurky? Come on.

much lighter on the stomach and quite frankly tastes better. especially with pasta!

Aulayna
05-14-2013, 12:31 PM
I shop on a daily basis so this would be impossible for me to do :(

Breine
05-14-2013, 11:35 PM

Most vegetarians do not follow a veggie diet because they didn't like the taste of meat beforehand. The reasons for going vegetarian are WAY to many to mention here. I'll just leave it at the environment, moral/ethical reasons, for the sake of the animals and personal/public health.