PDA

View Full Version : Flavour for the sake of "manners"

blackmage_nuke
05-09-2013, 08:49 AM
Before today I never chewed with my mouth open, it went against my natural chewing technique, but today for whatever reason I left my mouth slightly open whilst eating and when I realised I closed it, and I noticed something and on further experimentation I realised that the food actually tasted slightly better when my mouth was open. Maybe it's only with certain foods but sometimes the airflow enhances the flavour! Please try it yourself and tell me if you notice and differences so you can confirm if I'm crazy or not.

Chris
05-09-2013, 02:20 PM
Well, it's all about senses. Dull one and the other ones are naturally hightened. So, close your eyes and your sense of taste naturally improves. The eating with an open mouth thing sounds weird, though. oO

blackmage_nuke
05-09-2013, 04:22 PM
On further experimentation it seems only to apply to warm/hot food

Shorty
05-09-2013, 04:54 PM
I would sacrifice the flavor for politeness. Also, it's more natural for me to chew with my mouth closed. I would have to make a conscious effort to chew with it open.

Jinx
05-09-2013, 05:53 PM
I grew up sitting across a table from my grandfather, who always chews with his mouth open.

I think it is the most disgusting thing.

(Unless you're eating like taffy, or chewy caramel or some shit. Then you don't have a choice.)

Parker
05-09-2013, 06:18 PM
Yea. Try pinching your nose while chewing. You'll lose most of the taste. Then stop pinching and enjoy the explosion of flavour.

I hate when people eat with their mouth open. Fuck that. I am about ready to punch anyone who does it around me.