PDA

View Full Version : Shhh! This is a very sneaky stealthy thread!

Pete for President
05-09-2013, 10:40 AM
I love stealth games! Classics like Tenchu and Metal Gear Solid but also the brand new ones like Hitman: Absolution and Deus Ex: Human Revolution.

So fellow ninjas, assassins, hitmen and agents; what are your favorite stealth games and stealth moments? Any particular spectacular kills to share? Levels you like? Or streaks of unmatched cunningness?

I'll share mine if you share yours :shifty: :cool:

DanielCLFFF13
05-09-2013, 12:18 PM
Maybe Assasin Creed. But I haven't played it on my pc. I've played Assassin's Creed on my cell phone. But I think Assassin's Creed game including good of graphics and gameplay that takes the atmosphere of antiquity. :)

Loony BoB
05-09-2013, 12:20 PM
I'm a fan of the Splinter Cell style of stealth and the Thief style of stealth (what little I've played of the first game, anyway).

NeoCracker
05-09-2013, 01:16 PM
Deus Ex: HR is about the only game I enjoyed stealthing through. And I never really enjoyed stealth focused games.

Quindiana Jones
05-09-2013, 02:03 PM
I've paid no attention to Hitman: Absolution other than watching its adverts and short gameplay clips, and I honestly didn't know it was a stealth game.

Contracts is, without question, one of the best examples of masterful stealth/assassination gameplay and world design. It truly is the pinnacle of madhouse murder fun times.

Sly Cooper was a easy yet complex stealth masterpiece that also benefitted from the almost unique quality of actually getting better through the sequels. Loved those games. :love:

Whereas I consider the Assassin's Creed games to be more assassination than stealth focused, the multiplayer is one of the finest examples of stealth gameplay.

And, lastly, Elder Scrolls. Though a very simple mechanic, it is bundles of fun. :)

NeoCracker
05-09-2013, 02:09 PM
I did love me some Sly Cooper actually.

Slothy
05-09-2013, 02:24 PM
Absolutely love stealth games. Dishonored is probably one of the better modern ones I've played.

But my I think MGS is always going to sit at or near the top of my list. Just something about the old school simplicity of it all. Plus I even had the MGS VR Missions game which was also amazing. I beat all but one level I think. I probably could have gotten it eventually had I kept practicing. It was actually quite amazing how well you had to get everything down to beat that many levels. By the end I was firing only as many bullets as was needed to kill soldiers, aiming grenades like a boss, and sticking C4 to guards backs for the simple fun of it (and for the one level which required it to take out a camera).

Quindiana Jones
05-09-2013, 02:25 PM
Good lad. :up:

Pike
05-09-2013, 04:19 PM
The original Deus Ex. I've played through all 50-odd hours of that game without killing a soul. It was great.

blackmage_nuke
05-09-2013, 04:27 PM
Alpha Protocol! Brilliant game if you chose to play it stealth like. Though to be fair I never played it running into buildings guns blazing like which is an option.

Nothing beats the MGS series though

Del Murder
05-09-2013, 04:52 PM
The most fun I had sneaking was in MGS3. I really enjoyed the camouflage aspect of it.

Skyblade
05-09-2013, 05:01 PM
Mark of the Ninja. From running through the last level on New Game+ without killing anyone to getting a 7,000 point kill/terror combo while attempting to recover the inking tools on the sandstorm level, this game is a mastery of fun stealth gameplay.

I move into the area and knock down a hanging bomb trap with a bamboo dart, jumping over it and continuing on my way. I leap up to the next floor, behind the patrolling guard, and then nab onto the side of the building as I cut a second bomb from the ceiling behind the patrolling guard. I then toss a bamboo dart into the gong beside the bomb, distracting the guard.

As he goes to investigate he doesn't watch his footing, and steps on the explosive I'd torn down, blowing him up and summoning every guard in earshot. As they close in from either side and below, they see the dead body, and immediately freak out. The two on the sides fire at each other, and the one on the left is cut down. I hop over the roof, lower myself down so I can see the two floors below me, and wait for the guards to continue their now jittery patrol.

As the guard at the bottom floor comes into alignment, a toss a dart past the first guard, striking the guard on the bottom floor. Looking up, right at me, he begins to unleash a hail of random gunfire, right through the poor guard directly above him.

As the lone guard tries to get his nerves back under control, he fails to notice the original bomb I had cut loose, and steps on it, finishing the massacre without me ever having to draw my blade.

TrollHunter
05-09-2013, 05:59 PM
Throwing hitman blood money into the ring.
The sheer amount of options at your disposal allows you to be more creative than in any game ive ever seen. Added on with the games sick sense of humor and you have a recipe for absolute genius stealth gameplay.

Psychotic
05-09-2013, 06:12 PM
Not a big fan. On pretty much every game where stealth is possible (MGS, Assassin's Creed, Skyrim/Fallout, Deus Ex) I will sneak as much as I can until I am very easily discovered and proceed to shower the guards or whoever with violent and brutal deaths. And then I realise "wait this was a lot more fucking fun than crawling around on the floor for three hours, why didn't I do this sooner?" and that's the end of that.

Pike
05-09-2013, 07:06 PM
Not a big fan. On pretty much every game where stealth is possible (MGS, Assassin's Creed, Skyrim/Fallout, Deus Ex) I will sneak as much as I can until I am very easily discovered and proceed to shower the guards or whoever with violent and brutal deaths. And then I realise "wait this was a lot more smurfing fun than crawling around on the floor for three hours, why didn't I do this sooner?" and that's the end of that.

This was me with Human Revolution. Whilst that game did lend itself well to stealth, I felt like it didn't quite so much as the original did so even though I was full-sneaky-pacifist in the original I went maximum bloodshed in DE:HR.

Also, sniper rifle :love:

Pete for President
05-09-2013, 09:09 PM
So much love in this thread :greenie: Replying to everyone;

Maybe Assasin Creed.

Having only played the original, I thought the concept was really cool, but it disappointed me in the gameplay department. I think it is too forgiving and not rewarding enough at the same time. It's a shame, because it had the right setting to be awesome.

I'm a fan of the Splinter Cell style of stealth and the Thief style of stealth (what little I've played of the first game, anyway).

I have yet to try any Thief entry, because I never had a good PC to play it on. But I have always been intrigued, yes :cool:

I've paid no attention to Hitman: Absolution other than watching its adverts and short gameplay clips, and I honestly didn't know it was a stealth game.

Contracts is, without question, one of the best examples of masterful stealth/assassination gameplay and world design. It truly is the pinnacle of madhouse murder fun times.

I had only played Blood Money and now Absolution. Loved both of them! I would recommend Absolution for sure; it is definitely still a stealth game and a mighty fine one at that, especially on the harder difficulties. I might check out contracts if I can find it cheap :cool:

Absolutely love stealth games. Dishonored is probably one of the better modern ones I've played.

But my I think MGS is always going to sit at or near the top of my list. Just something about the old school simplicity of it all.

Dishonored is on my list! The first MGS has indeed a special place in my list of favorite stealth games. I always thought the laser-auto-aim from 3rd person worked really well, as opposed to the rather clumsy 'stop-and-shoot-in-1st person'-mechanic in the sequels.

The most fun I had sneaking was in MGS3. I really enjoyed the camouflage aspect of it.

Ah yes, still awesome. Favorite levels; the optional area with the house where you find the M60, the warehouse right before the area where you fight the Fear, and of course a stealthy endurance battle with The End ranks up as one of the most awesome bosses ever.

Throwing hitman blood money into the ring.
The sheer amount of options at your disposal allows you to be more creative than in any game ive ever seen. Added on with the games sick sense of humor and you have a recipe for absolute genius stealth gameplay.

Very well spoken sir, and I am glad to confirm Absolution has these things too! I actually think Absolution does it slightly better even, as the controls are more responsive and the animations are more adaptive. It makes you feel more like a professional and less clumsy which was sometimes the case in Blood Money (though I admit I only started playing Blood Money last year. Still great though!). So if you haven't tried it yet, I can definitely recommend Absolution.

Speaking of Absolution, this might be my favorite stealth moment ever:

So epic. So sneaky. So cunning. So awesome.

Slothy
05-09-2013, 09:31 PM

But my I think MGS is always going to sit at or near the top of my list. Just something about the old school simplicity of it all.

Dishonored is on my list! The first MGS has indeed a special place in my list of favorite stealth games. I always thought the laser-auto-aim from 3rd person worked really well, as opposed to the rather clumsy 'stop-and-shoot-in-1st person'-mechanic in the sequels.

Dishonored is definitely pretty cool. It felt a lot more open to me than a lot of stealth games end up being, and the powers you get really are quite cool. They offer some crazy potential to combo together and open up different paths as you like, to the point where playing the game was just a wonderful experience. Still challenging, but wonderful just the same. It does a lot of things differently than other stealth games and deserved credit for it.

And as much as I like the later MGS games, especially the different things you can do in them that are often just completely off the wall (hell, I remember spending more than 20 hours just on the MGS2 demo exploring the gameplay possibilities it offered), there's something I just find absolutely wonderful about the simpler MGS. It just plays really smoothly, and although there's plenty of opportunity to play around in its little sandbox, it's not quite as overwhelming as the later games can get sometimes. Plus I found the tranquilizer guns made me (and honestly, I think the level designers too sometimes) a bit lazier. Who needs to be all that stealthy when it's just as easy or even easier to just knock everyone out?

Pike
05-09-2013, 11:15 PM
I really need to replay the original MGS. It's probably been about ten years since my last full playthrough.

Iceglow
05-10-2013, 12:54 AM
Stealth games are fun, I tend to play a lot of games with stealth in mind, my ideal situation even if playing an FPS like Halo or CoD is to sneak up and line up my shots taking people down and then moving round to take more down. I'd quite happily play hours of Assassins Creed games and in Fallout/Elder Scrolls I'm normally quite stealthy. Metal Gear was amazing to play though 4 became far too action orientated for my taste (I played it once on a friends ps3 maybe not the best sampler of it but I'm fairly certain it was an apt opinion) I might have to check Dishonored out because I've heard middling reviews. But first I really want to play Far Cry 3 and you can bet your nutsack it's going to be me and my favourite bow/knife most of the time.

Bolivar
05-10-2013, 01:52 AM
MGS is at the top for me. Probably my favorite part of all the games is going for the 0 Kill/0 Alert completions. I also like how 3 and 4 have sooo much you dig around and find to expand your gameplay options, I probably still haven't seen everything there is in those games.

Played Tenchu when I was really young. Don't remember too much, but there really weren't a lot of games like it.

I like the stealth sequences in the Modern Warfare games, although you're really just following someone else.

Stealth in Oblivion was really fun.

I played through a good amount of Splinter Cell conviction on PC, it's a pretty tight game. The co-op can be fun as hell, I really wish they'd make a console Metal Gear like that (Ground Zeros maybe?). Peacewalker was fun, but I really want a big HD one like that.

Pike
05-10-2013, 08:21 AM
I was never a big fan of stealth in TES games if only because it's like World of Warcraft, you hit your stealth button and away you go. If you're going stealth, you need a game where there's a chance you can be caught at any moment! :spin:

Pete for President
05-10-2013, 11:06 PM
To those with Playstation Plus: Hitman Absolution is free for you to download from the PSN store! DO IT. I recommend it :D sneaky stealthy action yes.

Shorty
05-10-2013, 11:10 PM
I haven't played many stealth games, but I always play a stealth shooter in Fallout. Sniping the head off someone from a hidden location yards and yards away is so satisfying.

Pike
05-11-2013, 01:24 AM
To those with Playstation Plus: Hitman Absolution is free for you to download from the PSN store! DO IT. I recommend it :D sneaky stealthy action yes.

Oh that's right, Hitman is great. Especially Blood Money.

Pete for President
05-11-2013, 10:15 PM
Ahh good memories of Tenchu 2. I need to get this game from somewhere, my copy doesn't work anymore :cry:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBWuGH-nt5E

Slothy
05-12-2013, 12:03 AM
I've got the strong urge to play MGS VR Missions again. Anyone know if it runs decently in an emulator?

krissy
05-12-2013, 12:26 AM
!

Pete for President
05-12-2013, 08:53 AM
I've got the strong urge to play MGS VR Missions again. Anyone know if it runs decently in an emulator?

MGS came out for PC too you know! You could look for that version :greenie:

Pike
05-12-2013, 10:39 AM
!

My favorite part of Wreck it Ralph:

http://cax.nm.ru/msx/other/ralph-mgs.jpg