PDA

View Full Version : Mistakes you made that you couldn't reset to solve in game

Gu-fu-fu
05-11-2013, 09:02 PM
I just had a major headdesk moment and am filled with rage, so I was wondering if anyone else has stories about smurfing up they can share to make me feel less like smashing my PS2. :mad2:

I'll start. I had never played FFVII before, but this time after replaying FF3/6 I decided to do it. Somehow, I managed to get to the Northern Crater without knowing about the arrange/exchange/remove all/trash materia options. I was wondering what to do with all the smurfing useless duplicated I had of old materia, and kinda frustrated that this whole organizing materia and keeping track of it thing was so badly designed. Then I started wondering why when I mastered a materia it would no longer say "x is born" at the top. I got to my last materia to pick up, the W-Magic, and the game told me I couldn't pick it up because I needed to throw out some materia. I felt silly that I wasted all that time moving my materia around (no wonder I was at 99:99:59 so soon). Then I went back to Cosmo Canyon to make the 3 Master Magic Materia I had prepared so meticulously. And nothing happened. I mean, no materia blend occurred. Turns out all my mastered Fire, Ice, Restore, and Lighting materia had been deleted when new materia was created. FML.

So now I may even get two Master Summons cause I'll be smurfed if I am going to let all that leveling (ok, I guess you use grinding here) go to waste.

Anyone else have a memory that still bugs you of a mistake in playthrough?

Laddy
05-12-2013, 08:06 PM
I've missed out on a few special materia or Limit Breaks that almost got me to restart, but I never did. I'm a perfectionsit with shit like this most times, though.

Elly
05-12-2013, 09:48 PM
my general rule is no less than 3 saves for a PSX/PSone FF game, and i think it was because of something in FFVII but i forgot what it was... anyway after deciding on a minimum save limit and making every save on the next file, rotating between the 3, new saves overwriting the oldest in the list... FF games on PS2 and PS3 on the other hand get an average of 6 saves so i can go back up to 12 hours if i need to...

Gu-fu-fu
05-12-2013, 11:13 PM
Laddy, yeah, I got pretty much all the materia (missed the Magic Plus in Corral Valley, and the Added Cut on the Great Glacier, I hated the Glacier) because I am meticulous too. It even makes me cranky that I only got one out of four Enemy Skill Materia with everything.
Elly, I didn't have a second memory card for my PS2 because the first one just died when I started playing FFVII. That meant I had only 3 slots, with one I set aside with Aeris still alive just for old time's sake. Since I didn't know I lost the Materia until later, I had already saved over anything pre-Northern Crater besides the Aeris file. Hence the sad.

I also found that my Underwater materia was one of the one's deleted, but I managed to mime my way through the Emerald Weapon battle just in time.

Thanks to you both, I needed to vent cause I am a total perfectionist about these things.

Greatermaximus
05-13-2013, 11:14 AM
I'd say I missed the standard amount of items. Like missing score, first strike, underwater, for the first time. I also didn't beat Diamond, Ruby, or Emerald weapon. Missed everyone's best weapon. Missed Vincent.

Though it doesn't bother me much because I understand gaming. Earlier in my life I thought it was more important to go back through it. Beating a game at lower levels is much better for me imo. Without the extra nicknacks, drama, ect.,.

Gu-fu-fu
05-13-2013, 06:01 PM
Beating a game at lower levels is much better for me imo.

I agree with that in theory. If I get to too high levels too early it takes all the challenge out of it. I feel more like I've experienced the game fully if I have tried every materia, every limit break, etc.

And that means I'm off to try my luck in Bone Village because my Mega-All materia was one of the deleted ones too. :mad: No idea whether it will work, as I only found the Key Item Key to Sector 5 and a several potions so far...