PDA

View Full Version : After a few years, its about time for a new phone.

Masamunemaster
05-12-2013, 10:23 PM
I have had sprint for close to five years, and in that time I have had to get new phones.

Now since the last phone I got(samsung galaxy s epic) there have been a splender of new, and amazing phones. I have recently been looking into the galaxy s4, but when I called about it the man at radio shack told me to look into the htc one.

I tried comparing them, but it all seemed one sided for the s4, yet the one is supposed to be the main competitor?

Does anyone have either of these phones, or any kind of feedback from others that could help me?

martyjtindal
05-13-2013, 08:15 AM
I got an S4 after an iPhone. This is a superb phone!!! Go for it!

Rantz
05-13-2013, 08:36 AM
The way I understand it, it's pretty much a tossup between the S4 and the One which one is The Thing right now. It probably comes down to personal preference in the end as they're pretty evenly matched. The iPhone is a viable contender as well if you're not an Apple hater - they're always a safe bet to be pretty awesome.

I'm getting a new phone soon too, and I'm leaning towards the One mostly because I much prefer its design, but I certainly wouldn't say no to the S4 either. The One's speakers are a plus for me too as I've always had a problem with low volume when showing youtube videos to friends or whatever.

Loony BoB
05-13-2013, 03:37 PM
Sod the extremely expensive onees and buy a Huawei, pay as you go. Does the job for a far lower cost and it's not a contract which essentially means you're saving yourself even more money. My mate had one and I checked it out and decided it was alright, but I'm so glad I went for it. The amount of times I watch my friends trying to get their iPhone or Galaxy to unbreak or how often they lose all their data or something... my Huawei might not be perfect for it either but at least I didn't lose a month's wage (post-bills and food) over it, and I'm pretty sure it'll last me just as long. Android, so the OS isn't gonna kill you with any downsides beyond any other Android phone.

Thankyou, cheap foreign labour.

Formalhaut
05-13-2013, 04:50 PM
Ugh, I've had my same phone for like 6 or so years. It's positively basic. It's got no touchscreeny things, nor does it really do internet. It also doesn't really do any other fancy features. It calls, texts, alarms, that's about it.

My families too poor to get me a fancy phone. It's sort of a mixed blessing because all my friends have smartphones and they tap away at them every damn minute. I've never been so glued to a screen in my life. Well, apart from the laptop but that's something else entirely.

All they do is play some game called 'Temple Run', text and use something called 'Whatsapp' or whatever. Eh.

NorthernChaosGod
05-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Sod the extremely expensive onees and buy a Huawei, pay as you go. Does the job for a far lower cost and it's not a contract which essentially means you're saving yourself even more money. My mate had one and I checked it out and decided it was alright, but I'm so glad I went for it. The amount of times I watch my friends trying to get their iPhone or Galaxy to unbreak or how often they lose all their data or something... my Huawei might not be perfect for it either but at least I didn't lose a month's wage (post-bills and food) over it, and I'm pretty sure it'll last me just as long. Android, so the OS isn't gonna kill you with any downsides beyond any other Android phone.

Thankyou, cheap foreign labour.

I think your friends are probably mistreating their phones if they're breaking or losing data often. And considering how easy it is to backup your phone, losing data shouldn't even be a big issue. :colbert:

Shorty
05-13-2013, 07:26 PM
Goddamn it, I JUST got the S3 a couple months ago and the S4 is out. :argh:

I've heard great things about the One as well. After using the Galaxy, though, I don't think I'll ever use another line of phones.

kotora
05-13-2013, 07:42 PM
Goddamn it, I JUST got the S3 a couple months ago and the S4 is out. :argh:

It's not like everyone saw it coming because Samsung announces a new one around april every year :monster:

Shorty
05-13-2013, 07:43 PM
I don't know these things!

NorthernChaosGod
05-13-2013, 08:33 PM
I don't know these things!

It's been out for so long by now. xD A lot of my friends were talking about the S4 like a month after the S3

Masamunemaster
05-13-2013, 09:01 PM
I've neve had a problem with sound on my phone, its the loudest of all my friends as is. The biggest thing I don't like about the One is the fact that there is no sd card slot. I often times just takes songs, or pictures and pass them between my phone and laptop.

Either way I'm going to love having more than double the battery life.

scarfedmaya
05-18-2013, 12:03 PM
The features of S4 looks promising. It looks way better than an iPhone. I am also thinking of getting one. :)

DownDiagonalLeftA
05-18-2013, 08:26 PM
Here, you should check out this article. Under the microscope: Samsung Galaxy S4 vs. HTC One (http://www.gizmag.com/samsung-galaxy-s4-vs-htc-hands-on-one-comparison/27552/)

More importantly, you should head down to the store and try both of them out. Mess around with them, hold them both in your hand to see how they feel and how you like them.

I've been a fan of HTC since highschool. I had the G1 in highschool (first phone with android operating system) and i've had an HTC Sensation for a few years now. I prefer the One over the S4 too, not only for aluminum body and the speakers, but browsing through the menus and phone feels so much smoother. I didn't really like the no SD card at first (like you said) but its really not that big of a deal, there are tons of other options to transfer stuff to your computer.

Like I said, i'd go try them both out and see for yourself, but I like the One better. As long as you stay away from Apple you should be fine though :D

Masamunemaster
05-19-2013, 12:54 AM
After readng that....I am even more torn between the two. There is so much working for both that it is so hard. One has a better camera, but the other has better battery.

Shlup
05-19-2013, 01:11 AM
I switched to Republic Wireless because I get unlimited everything for $19 a month, except for picture texts. I can still send and receive pictures through email and Google+ though. I don't remember what phone it is other than it's a Motorola, but I like it. Best part is that Republic Wireless doesn't force me to have a bunch of stupid apps like my last phone, like Kindle and NASCAR and some football app. Those really pissed me off.

Del Murder
05-19-2013, 01:45 AM
I'm looking to get a new phone too.really like the HTC One but they don't have it on stupid Verizon. The S4 is just too damn big.

Rantz
05-19-2013, 08:50 AM
hey, i am really glad u posted this:) I have Samsung Galaxy S4 and i really love it. u should buy one!

Unbreakable Will
05-19-2013, 04:45 PM
I've had the same phone for about three years and I don't intend to get a new one until this one ceases to function. I'm not a fancy phone person I guess.

Why can't I like nice things?

Rebellious Eagle
05-20-2013, 01:16 AM
My phone carrier still only has the S2 and some other Galaxy phone xD but I have nice Android 4.0 phone with a touchscreen AND a physical keyboard because I can't type as fast and nicely with a touchscreen keyboard.

Pike
05-20-2013, 01:18 AM
One of these days I'm actually going to get a smartphone.

...no idea when, but.

Masamunemaster
05-22-2013, 07:36 AM
My phone carrier still only has the S2 and some other Galaxy phone xD but I have nice Android 4.0 phone with a touchscreen AND a physical keyboard because I can't type as fast and nicely with a touchscreen keyboard.

I mainly use my physical keyboard for gaming and super long typing.

Pike
05-22-2013, 11:24 AM
That's all I want

A phone with a keyboard

Cloudane
05-22-2013, 04:59 PM
Switched from a HTC One X (awful, awful battery life - apparently fairly common for HTC) to a Galaxy Note 2. I considered the S4 but went for the extra battery life and Wacom type stylus.

No regrets, absolutely loving it. Battery lasts all day (can't kill it if I try. 2 days if I don't really use it) and can be swapped out which is a major bonus. Sammies are a bit plasticy, but I've found I like this - it means I'm not worrying about scratching some precious anodised metal all the time. The back cover is even replaceable.

Masamunemaster
05-22-2013, 09:58 PM
Same as the s4, you can buy a external charger so it can charge on the go.