PDA

View Full Version : 50 Best Foods Around The World

Formalhaut
05-15-2013, 11:03 PM
Found this article from CNN back in 2011 (http://travel.cnn.com/explorations/eat/worlds-50-most-delicious-foods-067535), and thought it'd be good to dissect it and discuss placements within the list.

I'm not rewriting the entire list, you can look at it yourself you lazy bums, but here are the main highlights based on locale and such:

50. Buttered Popcorn, America
48. Potato Chips, America
47. Seafood Paella, Spain
44. Poutine, Canada
43. Tacos, Mexico
42. Buttered Toast With Marmite, Britain ;)
39. Ketchup, America. Somehow a food.
36. Texas Barbeque Pork, America
33. Fish 'n' Chips, Britain
26. Fajitas, Mexico
23. Lasagna, Italy
22. Brownie and Vanilla Ice Cream, Everywhere
18. Kebabs, Iran
13. Donuts, America
12. Shepard's Pie, Britain
9. Ice Cream, United States
6. Hamburger, Germany
5. Peking Duck, China
3. Chocolate, Mexico
2. Neapolitan Pizza, Italy
1. Massaman Curry, Thailand

Some general comments. I find donuts to be overrated to be honest, and deserve to be lower down the list. Meanwhile, tacos should be pushed higher: a good dip can make tacos heavenly, especially with cheese. Marmite beat Poutine, and pretty much everywhere else seems to make sense. Haven't a clue what Massaman Curry is though. Seems good enough to try!

Basically, what do you feel about the list compiled by CNN? Does it match your feelings on the highly contentious issue of food? Check the entire list: I only highlighted the main foods in the west. What's not on the list that you feel should have been on the list?

Argue all you like.

Miriel
05-15-2013, 11:31 PM
Not that I don't love lots of the stuff on the list, but really, it is a spectacularly crappy list just in terms of accuracy, the article itself is pretty bad, and some of the stuff doesn't even make sense.

Fajitas aren't even from Mexico. And croissant over a baguette for France? Brownies and vanilla ice cream from... GLOBAL. =/

Really. Really.

That being said, as far as the items on the list itself, I would eat everything except for stinky tofu and marzipan. Because both are gross.

Formalhaut
05-15-2013, 11:37 PM
To be honest, I sort of agree. I found the Brownie being global thing sort of weird. But hey, it's CNN, not a cooking website.

Pheesh
05-16-2013, 02:28 AM
Am I the only one who wtf'ed at them listing French Toast as being from Hong Kong? :/

EDIT: Also, no souffle, no confit, no STEAK, no BACON. Bad list. Bad, bad list.

I Took the Red Pill
05-16-2013, 09:43 AM
That being said, as far as the items on the list itself, I would eat everything except for stinky tofu and marzipan. Because both are gross.I have to walk past people making stinky tofu on the street every day. The smell is unbearable. I can't imagine those people going home every night to their partner and smelling like that trout. There is actually a small little cafe on the corner that sells stinky tofu and coffee exclusively. Like wtf, who wants to sit in a cafe and smell stinky tofu when they're enjoying their coffee. But it's pretty popular. There are just some things about the Chinese thought process that I will never understand.

But once I decided to try it, and it's actually quite delicious if it's made properly. And apparently it was one of Chairman Mao's favorite foods. So now I plan on being the next dictator of China because I enjoy stinky tofu.

Loony BoB
05-16-2013, 10:03 AM
Now I want to see top 50 lists from the foodies around EoFF.

Pike
05-16-2013, 10:18 AM
>No Macaroni and Cheese pie with a bacon lattice
>No bacon, egg, and cheese eggo waffle sandwich
>No nutella banana pies

Failure list :colbert:

Agent Proto
05-17-2013, 02:31 AM
The fact that ketchup is considered a food on this list is laughable. :lol:

Pike
05-17-2013, 10:39 AM
I agree because ketchup is the most disgusting and vile substance known to man :barf:

Faris
05-17-2013, 01:12 PM
Oh man there are a lot of awesome foods out there that did not make this list. Curry beat the burger and pizza? What what!

DK
05-17-2013, 04:09 PM
Oh man there are a lot of awesome foods out there that did not make this list. Curry beat the burger and pizza? What what!

Of course it did. No food will ever be better than curry.

Jinx
05-17-2013, 04:28 PM

This is why we are friends, Dan Dan.

fire_of_avalon
05-18-2013, 03:16 PM
Not that I don't love lots of the stuff on the list, but really, it is a spectacularly crappy list just in terms of accuracy, the article itself is pretty bad, and some of the stuff doesn't even make sense.

Fajitas aren't even from Mexico. And croissant over a baguette for France? Brownies and vanilla ice cream from... GLOBAL. =/

Really. Really.

That being said, as far as the items on the list itself, I would eat everything except for stinky tofu and marzipan. Because both are gross.
I have a lot of problems with this list and I'm not even half way through it.

1. Ketchup?
2. Chicken Parm is not an Australian food. Like what? Because they "do it well?" How do they do it better than anyone else? Please pick an actual Australian food. Like emu. Or kangaroo. Or something that is authentic to Australia.
3. FUCK TEXAS BARBECUE. Texas barbecue is almost always BEEF BARBECUE YOU CNN FUCKERS. Because, uh, cattle ranching is a part of Texas history and culture, dipshits. This one actually makes me mad because pork barbecue is more of an east coast thing. North Carolina does it better. Followed by Kansas City.
4. Corn on the cob isn't a global food! It was domesticated by ancient Mesoamerica. Let them have it!
5. Not enough desserts.

Now I want to see top 50 lists from the foodies around EoFF.

This is an awesome idea.

Faris
05-19-2013, 01:59 PM

I need to try this curry then, which is the best?

Jinx
05-20-2013, 04:18 AM
Kansas City is the BBQ Capitol of the WORLD, foa. :colbert:

I think you are just partial. :doublecolbert:

Shiny
05-21-2013, 05:06 AM
I agree with that list apart from the sketchy country labeling and the fact that ketchup is on there. I don't hate ketchup, but condiments don't deserve to be on a favorite food list unless that condiment is mango chutney and curry. :colbert: