PDA

View Full Version : How would you rank this game compared to it's successors?

duhu1148
05-16-2013, 03:55 PM
First, allow me to say that I have played every mainstream Final Fantasy, including some spinoffs like Tactics, Dissidia, and Crisis Core. I played the originals first. Not remakes.

Judging based on the originals only, it's hard for me to put the original Final Fantasy anywhere but at the bottom of a list of mainstream Final Fantasy titles. You have to grind too much, the game is swarming with disastrous bugs that make the game even harder or unplayable (many spells don't work, many "secondary" effects don't work such as weapons effects or armor effects, Intelligence doesn't function correctly, status ailments don't work right, ect), and the characters are bland/lame and otherwise forgettable.

With that being said, there are some pluses: Garland, Chaos, surprisingly decent story considering what the game was, classes, the Four Fiends, and nostalgia. Despite that, I have a hard time rating the original FF higher than II or III, or even XIII which I detest.

Do you think I'm being too harsh on this game given it's age? Should I reconsider and rank it higher? Where do you rank the game?

theundeadhero
05-16-2013, 04:31 PM
I rank it towards the top because it's far more fun to replay this Final Fantasy again and again than any of the others.

Gamblet
05-16-2013, 05:32 PM
First one has a nice difficulty, that alone makes me rank it higher.

Dragonfire
06-16-2013, 10:39 PM
I rank it somewhere in the middle. It has a high replay value, I've probably played it more than any other FF. Lots of nostalgia, there's nothing like hearing the original 8-bit versions of the songs to bring you back in time. It's very challenging which is something a good game should be. They've ditched that in recent FFs for graphics and hand-holding. Storyline leaves something to be desired but was pretty nice back in the day. The system is pretty straight forward with very little customization, which I'm not sure is a bad thing as this game doesn't really need it. If there's anything I would've liked in it it would be more powerful potions as 30HP apiece goes pretty quickly in the later dungeons and your spell uses are quite precious in those dungeons. It has some bugs but nothing too major, even the magic glitches I'm ok with because I never found those spells to be very useful in the remakes of the game. All in all, it's not perfect but by no means bad in my eyes so I'd have to rate it somewhere in the middle. Not as good as 3, not as horribly broken as 2, but not nearly as bad as everything after 10 and the ridiculous spin-offs and sequels they like to make nowadays.

My 2 cents

Venom65437
06-23-2013, 10:40 PM
I rank it 5th. I have always enjoyed this game since the beginning. I find it a lot of fun to replay and the remakes have only enhanced that. I can see why people might not enjoy it so much today, especially if they didn't get the chance to play it back on the NES in the day. I don't think it's aged particularly well and no remake will change it that much without drastically altering the game. Still a great game though and I'd play it anytime.

I guess since I said 5th, I will give the rest of the top 5:

1. FF 5
2. FF 9
3. FF 6
4. FF X
5. FF 1

Omni-Odin
06-24-2013, 03:01 PM
What does my sig say? I think like third to last? Just my opinion, but not many 2D FF titles do it for me. FFI was the best of the first three to me, but after those three, the series really took off for me.

Also, Venom we live in the same town lol.

Pumpkin
06-24-2013, 03:14 PM
Somewhere lower middle I suppose.

Venom65437
06-26-2013, 05:56 AM
What does my sig say? I think like third to last? Just my opinion, but not many 2D FF titles do it for me. FFI was the best of the first three to me, but after those three, the series really took off for me.

Awesome! I never meet anyone on the internet that even knows where Ft. Myers is much less lives in it! Nice to meet 'cha! :D

Vincent, Thunder God
06-26-2013, 06:57 AM
dude this is the one i replay every fucking time

Dragonfire
07-07-2013, 09:12 AM
Seeing as how I started with 1 and absolutely detest everything after 10, I probably rank it higher than I should. Then again its MY list so why should i care lol. Rating the games FF1-10 only it is actually closer to the bottom though. And, that list is as follows: 7>6>3>9>4>5>1>10>2>8

maybee
07-07-2013, 11:57 AM
Final Fantasy VII DOC
Final Fantasy Tactics
Final Fantasy II
Final Fantasy Tactics A
Final Fantasy XII
Final Fantasy XIII
Final Fantasy 1 < There
Final Fantasy III
Final Fantasy VII Crisis Core
Final Fantasy Tactics A2
Final Fantasy X-2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Finall Fantays IV- After Years
Final Fantasy V
Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy X
Final Fantasy VIII
Final Fantasy IX
Final Fantasy VI

Mirage
07-07-2013, 10:57 PM
I would rank it as a bit on the boring side.

Awesome! I never meet anyone on the internet that even knows where Ft. Myers is much less lives in it! Nice to meet 'cha! :D

You two should totally hang out.

Venom65437
07-13-2013, 11:09 PM
I would rank it as a bit on the boring side.

You two should totally hang out.

But people from the internet are scary! :eek: