PDA

View Full Version : Barret Wallace: Underrated

Jiro
05-21-2013, 07:48 PM
Barret Wallace is an underrated character. People think he's a racial stereotype, a Mr. T knockoff, or, at best, a flat and disposable character only necessary to kick off the plot. That's bulltrout.

Let's look at some simple facts. Barret is the leader of AVALANCHE. He does dirty work for a good cause and has to smurfing live with not only the deaths of innocents, but eventually of his buddies. That's traumatising as smurf.

Barret worries constantly about his daughter, Marlene. In a scene between him and Elmyra, he succinctly states the issue he faces: he wants to be with Marlene, but he's gotta stay away and fight for her future. Did I mention that she isn't even his biological kid? Goddamn, man.

Barret loses his leadership to Cloud, but keeps on fighting. He does so without grumbling. He shoulders the ruin of Corel all by himself, accepting the abuse of the people of Mt. Corel despite those smurfers all wanting Mako too. Barret doesn't bitch and moan. He tries to handle that trout by himself, because he is a strong, independent black man who don't need no man.

He knows he isn't the most gifted at anything - his confusion with materia is played for laughs but it's kind of tragic in a sense - but Barret is right smurfing there doing it all. The man is a smurfing legend and should get more respect.

http://i48.:bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou::bou:/73idja.jpg

Discuss.

Pike
05-21-2013, 07:51 PM
Barrett is great :love: He has so many great lines.

Jinx
05-21-2013, 08:02 PM
Also, another reason Aeris is a :bou::bou::bou::bou:: making fun of Barret at Golden Saucer because he's upset at seeing his former friends living in poverty.

also, dak dak my love, please tell me this means you're back

Sephex
05-22-2013, 12:42 AM
Another little known fact about Barret is that he actually comes from the Pulp Fiction movie universe. He is the cousin of Maurice Wallace according to director Quentin Tarantino. In a deleted scene in Pulp Fiction, Barret actually knew that Maurice was in trouble and was running to rescue his cousin from the fate that would up being a pain in the ass. However, he fell into a sewer and landed himself in the FFVII universe. Barret fell in some sort of weird Mako pit and had memories from a former Corel resident mixed in them. At the same time, lighting struck the put and infused the memories in Barret. It also made sure to alter other peoples memories.

According to the Ultimate Super Cock Block Edition of the Swagirothmaniaum Guide only sold in the Gulf of Mexico, Barret's tattoo would actually talk to him. If that plan followed through, the tattoo would have been voiced by Wilford Brimley. However, since they quickly figured out that no one would be voiced in the game due to limited technology at the time, the plan changed to just having Wilford type out his lines himself. Brimley was actually going to do this, but dropped out when he learned FFVII was not going to be released on the Sega Genesis as originally planned.

Chris
05-23-2013, 11:57 PM
Barret is underrated :confused: I always thought he was one of the most-loved characters in the game! I love his devotion for Marlene and his soft, tender, side. :p

dandy da oak
05-25-2013, 12:39 AM
I never understood how his gun-arm worked. :confused:

Scotty_ffgamer
05-25-2013, 05:00 AM
I've always appreciated Barret's devotion to Marlene, and I think he's just an all around good character.

Then Advent Children happened, and his first line had to be "What up foo?" I always get sad whenever I find myself watching that movie and that line comes up. Doesn't take away how awesome Barret is in the first game, but it is sad that they seemed to more solidify the "Mr. T knockoff" notion in that movie.

Unbreakable Will
05-26-2013, 03:10 AM
I always thought he was fucking hilarious, he was one of my favorites. :colbert:

Raistlin
05-26-2013, 11:40 PM
Barrett's portrayal definitely has issues of blatant racial stereotyping, which is not uncommon with Japanese portrayals of non-Asians/whites. But his character was not that simple. Between his early leadership of AVALANCHE, his exile from Corel, and his relationship with Marlene, he is a fairly deep character.

Most importantly, he has some great lines and just looks adorable in his little sailor suit.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20120103141228/finalfantasy/images/f/f4/Barret-ffvii-sailor.png

Chris
05-26-2013, 11:43 PM
Is he wearing boots/shoes with that sailor suit, or is he barefooted? :(

Jinx
05-27-2013, 06:41 PM
Is he wearing boots/shoes with that sailor suit, or is he barefooted? :(

That's racist.

maybee
05-28-2013, 09:28 AM
Also, another reason Aeris is a :bou::bou::bou::bou:: making fun of Barret at Golden Saucer because he's upset at seeing his former friends living in poverty.

The main reason why I really hate and can't stand Aeris or Aer-thhhhhhhhhhhhhhh or however you spell her name these days. She was a so rude to Barret and just passed it on with a giggle like she was trying to be cute or something. UHM, NO.

And yes Barret is underrated. I like him. He's a bit rough around the edges, but he's a good character and a tank in battles.

Rostum
05-28-2013, 10:08 AM
Ah I love Barret, very well put Jiro!