PDA

View Full Version : Which platform did you play this game on?

Aulayna
05-24-2013, 05:57 PM
Were you hardcore and an original NES player? Did you emulate? Or did you play one of the remasters on the likes of the PSone and GBA etc?

theundeadhero
05-24-2013, 08:04 PM
When I first played it the NES version was the only option.
Later came roms, Origins, and Dawn of Souls and I've played all of them too.
I never played the PSP version of the game though.

Pumpkin
05-24-2013, 08:59 PM
I played it on the PS1.

Wolf Kanno
05-24-2013, 10:21 PM
NES, except my copy was old and buggy so it crashed about the time you got to Elfland and I would lose my saves.

I first completed the game on the PS1 Origins version, I dabbled with a friend's copy of the PSP version which was lacking, and I just recently finished the NES version on the Wii's Virtual Console which was easily one of my fave playthroughs. Despite the better hardware of the remakes, the original in all of its bugginess just feels more magical to me.

Sephiroth
05-25-2013, 12:27 AM
I have them all.

Gzussaves
05-26-2013, 06:21 AM
First was NES, then i played it on ds and have it on my phone as well

TreasonWall
05-26-2013, 10:58 PM
I beat the NES version twice, the PS1 version twice (once with 100%), the GBA version twice (both times with 100%). Heh, it's a short game. I easliy recommend Origins. The original is extremely inconvenient, as demonstrated by the YouTube video of someone buying 99 potions one at a time. Dawn of Souls and subsequent iterations are made easier to such a point that they're unbalanced. By contrast, the Origins version, aside from fixing the worst shortcomings of the original, can be manually adjusted to play the way you want it to. I like to make it as hard as it can be, so as to make it feel more like proper FF1.

Raistlin
05-27-2013, 12:57 AM
I own the NES and PS1 versions, though I've played the game the most on an emulator (NES version).

Pike
05-27-2013, 12:58 AM
Game Boy Advance.

theundeadhero
05-27-2013, 07:20 AM
People buy potions? I never waste my time on them. They're not necessary in any version of the game.

Zechs
05-31-2013, 11:42 AM
I started with the NES. Then obtained the PSX and GBA Dawn of Souls versions later. Still have a soft spot in my heart for the NES version...

NeoCracker
06-03-2013, 07:37 AM
NES Emulator was my first time playing it.

Polnareff
06-03-2013, 10:18 PM
I played through NES, GBA, PSX, and PSP, in that order. I will never play through the NES version again. :|

A funny story about the GBA version, I played it on an emulator, and beat the game in 16 hours. I sat in front of the computer the whole time and finished it in one sitting. I almost puked afterward because I get motion sickness sometimes from patterns that occur in 2D games. That is still to this day the only RPG I've beaten in one sitting.

escobert
06-04-2013, 11:59 PM
NES then PSone

Venom65437
06-05-2013, 02:18 AM
First time was NES back when it was new. Since then I have played, and owned it on PSone, PSN, GBA, and PSP. I really do like this game. :)

NinjaCoachZ
06-10-2013, 03:38 PM
Bought the PS1 Origins version off the Playstation Store, played it on me PS3. Also have that same version on PSP and Vita (yay, account systems!).

Loony BoB
06-10-2013, 04:37 PM
Whatever one you buy off PSN. :p I played it on the PSP.

VeloZer0
06-10-2013, 05:08 PM
You can buy both FF:Origins and FF1 on the PSN. Origins is (mostly) faithful to the original gameplay whereas the FF1 one is the more balanced, and significantly easier, Dawn of Souls version.

Dragonfire
06-17-2013, 08:21 AM
I originally played it on the NES when i really young and fell in love with it from the beginning. I have played all the other versions but still prefer the original.

Neiryu
06-28-2013, 08:58 AM
NES and am currently replaying on PS3 through Origins. They made it a lot easier since you don't have to try and hit enemies already dead.

theundeadhero
06-28-2013, 09:15 AM
I always found it a matter of personal satisfaction knowing exactly which combination of my characters would least overkill it to make my turn as effective as possible.

Neiryu
06-28-2013, 10:26 AM
It was fun pinpointing who needs to attack who so you don't end up having two people swinging at the air. Also I just stepped in the item shop to buy a heal/potion which is easier in Origins. Back on NES I had my little turbo controller under a few books to make shopping easier.

VeloZer0
06-28-2013, 06:03 PM
For me it was the improvements to the menus and the shopping UI and other stuff like that that I really liked about the FFO version. The auto-targeting didn't actually do all that much more me, as I usually ended up custom targeting each one of my attacks to make my turn as effective as possible.

Hollycat
06-28-2013, 06:40 PM
GBA

Elpizo
06-29-2013, 12:52 AM
The GBA version on my first-model DS. Much fun was had.

Denmark
06-29-2013, 05:15 AM
NES is the only way to play

and I originally played/beat it on NES too which means no speedups

Sephex
06-29-2013, 07:48 PM
Ages ago, a cousin of mine and I were at a non-chain video rental store. We were fans of the original Dragon Warrior, and the box art of the original Final Fantasy told us that it would be a similar experience. The offered to sell the game instead of renting it, so my Aunt bought the game for my cousin. I was sleeping over at their house that night, so basically we played Final Fantasy all night. I eventually got my parent's to buy me a copy, and I have been a fan ever since.

These days I usually play an emulated version of the NES original when I run through this game. I still have an original copy, but I rather not risk my NES freezing up on me or my data being randomly deleted.

Sarisa
07-01-2013, 12:18 AM
Dawn of Souls for the GBA. It was more recent than Origins and I didn't want to miss any added content.

Ghosteses
10-31-2013, 05:50 AM
PS1 =D in fact origins is my first final fantasy game and i got it a little over a week ago now xD

i <3 it so far!

Ayen
10-31-2013, 06:13 AM
PlayStation. Before I had my own consoles my brother was the one who had all the systems and the games and for one reason or another he never got either Final Fantasy game for the NES. We never got a SNES, after Nintendo it was all Sega and PlayStation so the first Final Fantasy games I played I had to get on the PlayStation. Played I, II, V and VI on their remastered PlayStation versions, but I also played Crystal Chronicles for the Gamecube and XIII on the 360. So, PlayStation mostly, but I'll play on any console I have available.

Oh, this was in the Old School board. Haha, I can't read.

Elskidor
10-31-2013, 10:19 AM
NES, PlayStation and PSP. I've only ever used an emulator here recently, and they feel like such a massive cheat that I'm glad I experienced all the RPGs for the first time, thus far, on real systems, or I think the experience would have been lost on me if done via an emulator. I like emulators for the games I've already played a ton of times, and don't mind speeding through treacherous grinds.

Psychotic
11-11-2013, 08:35 PM
I emulated it on the NES to begin with, and then I played it on the PSone when Origins came out.

Electroshock Therapy
11-17-2013, 05:57 PM
I played the remake for PS. At the time, I didn't have any other console I could play it on. And besides, two games for the price of one? One of those games was previously unreleased in the US? Sold!

Also, I hear the NES version of I and II have some bugs that the remakes fixed. I'm happy with my choice.

Mirage
11-20-2013, 09:11 PM
I didn't have a NES and didn't even know about the game series when I was young enough for NES to be the hottest thing on the planet. I played it on an emulator called NESticle, then in FF Origins on PS1, then on a GBA emulator, and will probably soon play the remake for PSP.