PDA

View Full Version : Final Fantasy VII --> Final Fantasy X

Pumpkin
05-24-2013, 08:35 PM
Was the connection between the two games confirmed, or was it just a theory? Either way I think it's very interesting. I think if it is true, they should make a game in the "in between" part, how Spira became what it is in Final Fantasy VII.

What do you guys think?

Karifean
05-24-2013, 10:25 PM
I don't consider it to be canon. For one, it hardly makes sense to begin with. Why do the people on Gaia invent Space Travel at around FF7's time when their ancestors went there by space? And don't tell me the knowledge was lost because the knowledge about Mako-extraction and the Shinra name sure wasn't.

Jinx
05-24-2013, 11:38 PM
When did the inhabitants of Spira/FFX go to space?

Sephiroth
05-24-2013, 11:51 PM
Was the connection between the two games confirmed, or was it just a theory? Either way I think it's very interesting. I think if it is true, they should make a game in the "in between" part, how Spira became what it is in Final Fantasy VII.

What do you guys think?

It was part of an interview. And the study of planet life and Omega and Chaos explain how life can begin anew on another planet. The whole "we can use the energy of the farplane to make a city that never sleeps" was very amusing of course since it reminds of Zanarkand and Midgar. Shinra can say what he wants. But he is not just a kid.

Depression Moon
05-25-2013, 12:13 AM
Even if it was confirmed I'm not buying it. The worlds of VII and X are nothing alike. None of the races from X appear in VII and VII has a couple of races that never appeared in X like whatever Nanaki's race is and the Cetra. Spira was a tiny planet composed of mostly islands and VII is an obviously larger planet with continents. Magic works completely differently in VII too and death is perceived differently as well.

Sephiroth
05-25-2013, 12:16 AM
Magic works completely differently in VII too and death is perceived differently as well.

It is even confirmed that the pyreflies are the same stuff the lifestream is made of. And Bugenhagen explains it very well. Square never wrote a full story about what is totally connected and what not. They said something about some things connecting some stuff and what could be. It is connected, however. That's not what she said, that is what they said.

Jinx
05-25-2013, 12:19 AM
Well, we know that Nanaki somehow reproduced.

And his race is surprisingly similar in look to the Ronso.

So maybe Cosmo Canyon got snowed in during the apocalypse and his race had to evolve to walk on two legs and their coat turned blue to adjust to their icy region?

Sephiroth
05-25-2013, 12:22 AM
So maybe Cosmo Canyon got snowed in during the apocalypse and his race had to evolve to walk on two legs and their coat turned blue to adjust to their icy region?

Spira is not Gaia and Spira comes before Gaia. At least as far as the connection reaches.

Jinx
05-25-2013, 12:25 AM
Oh wait. You're right. Oops. :3

Okay, so, the polar ice caps melted and Nanaki's race devolved.

dandy da oak
05-25-2013, 12:43 AM
I find this to be one of the hardest ideas to get my head around and yet it is one confirmed by Word of God. Why would they do something like that? :confused: Maybe Jenova is Anima or something?

Jinx
05-25-2013, 12:51 AM
I find this to be one of the hardest ideas to get my head around and yet it is one confirmed by Word of God. Why would they do something like that? :confused: Maybe Jenova is Anima or something?

Well, she is some crazy dude's mother.

Scotty_ffgamer
05-25-2013, 04:05 AM
I'd say if any ff character has a connection to Anima, it would be Ultimecia from VIII. They're kind of similar in at least character model when you look at Ultimecia's final form.

As for the connection between X and VII, I've always just looked at it as just a fun little reference rather than take seriously as a connection. I know the connection is official according to the Ultimania or whatever, but if I remember right, there is such a time difference between X-2 and the events of VII that the connection is so small.

My theory for the day is that they put the references in to put VII on people's minds in preparation for the Compilation of VII stuff. If I remember right, X-2 was out not too long before all of that stuff started coming out. I'm probably wrong on that though.

Unbreakable Will
05-26-2013, 03:12 AM
I don't buy into it. :colbert:

dandy da oak
05-26-2013, 05:13 AM
I'd say if any ff character has a connection to Anima, it would be Ultimecia from VIII. They're kind of similar in at least character model when you look at Ultimecia's final form.

As for the connection between X and VII, I've always just looked at it as just a fun little reference rather than take seriously as a connection. I know the connection is official according to the Ultimania or whatever, but if I remember right, there is such a time difference between X-2 and the events of VII that the connection is so small.

My theory for the day is that they put the references in to put VII on people's minds in preparation for the Compilation of VII stuff. If I remember right, X-2 was out not too long before all of that stuff started coming out. I'm probably wrong on that though.

While obviously the fact that two of the games are set in the same universe (but on different planets) is not a huge issue, it creates a wealth of problems. That's way more than a fun little reference I think!

Firstly, the idea is that Shinra (the character) figures out how to harness the Farplane/Lifestream and uses it to create a spaceship. They fly to the planet of FFVII, and promptly lose the technology. We don't know if Shinra's people then became the Cetra, or if the Cetra were already a native peoples - if the latter, then it directly contradicts Final Fantasy VII as Sephiroth freaks out about how "Cloud's ancestors" decided to stop living like Cetra and started to settle down etc etc.

Then, conveniently, Shinra's descendants managed to come back to power and rediscover Mako energy and all of that.

It's just hogwash :(

Scotty_ffgamer
05-26-2013, 06:36 AM
It does create a wealth of problems if you look at it closely. I'm more thinking that the people who threw in that connection/reference to VII didn't really think about the implications. I think they just figured it would be something fun to throw in there.

To further the issues (and also to extend the distance between X-2 and VII), I think it was said that it was Shinra's ancestors that even figured out how to harness Farplane energy. Shinra had the idea, but he didn't figure out how to do it. I could be making all that up though.

I will say it is stuff like this that makes me think that there should never be a remake of VII. I don't have any real nostalgic connection to VII, but I do think if that if they remade it, they would start tinkering with stuff and fans wouldn't be pleased.

Freya
05-30-2013, 07:32 PM
Yeah I can't buy into this theory. The worlds are waaaaay too different.