PDA

View Full Version : All work and no play makes Unbreakable Will quite breakable.

Unbreakable Will
05-26-2013, 02:52 AM
I've had no days off work in a week, and won't have another til Thursday. It's not so bad really, work gives me something to do, but I sure could use a siesta.

What was the longest period of time that you had to work with no days to yourself? Mine was about three weeks straight last year at my old job.

fire_of_avalon
05-26-2013, 03:03 AM
Five months. I was working two jobs.

Unbreakable Will
05-26-2013, 03:13 AM
Sweet magical Jesus! That's insane!

Flaming Ice
05-26-2013, 03:36 AM
2 or 3 weeks.

Working 2 jobs, everyday but 1 is at least 7 hrs up to about 11 or so.

It's been ongoing for almost 2 months but I did take one day off.

Jinx
05-26-2013, 03:40 AM
I want to say 13 days.

Raistlin
05-26-2013, 04:38 AM
Uh... probably only six days, to be honest. Though I sometimes have been forced to work from home over the weekends at my current job, but not really a fully workday.

If we're counting academic work, than the last 2-3 weeks of each semester during law school I would be working basically nonstop with no days off. :p

Pike
05-26-2013, 10:38 AM
If we count school then several months at a time because I was working on all my days off (and several school days as well.)

If we don't count school then I think ten days was the max. I was scheduled Tuesday-Saturday one week and then Sunday-Thursday the next.

Shorty
05-26-2013, 10:47 AM
Three weeks. I was working two jobs and was supposed to have one day off a week between both jobs, but I kept getting called in and thus fucked.

Shiny
05-26-2013, 09:58 PM
Most of March this year because I was doing freelance on top of a 5 day a week job.

Iceglow
05-27-2013, 12:23 AM
like foa, I once worked 2 jobs, 7 days a week and long hours. I was doing it for around 8 - 10 months. Surprisingly I managed to keep a semblance of a social life but I have to admit if I ever need to make a couple of G fast I'd do it again.

theundeadhero
05-27-2013, 07:16 AM
9 months

Pike
05-29-2013, 11:19 AM
I think I'd lose it entirely if I had to work two jobs.

I could maybe swing it for a couple of weeks but I know it would do horrible things to my mental state.

Aulayna
05-29-2013, 11:48 AM
3 weeks.

During those 3 weeks I also voluntarily worked 7am-11pm on some of those days due to the department being short on staff. Bear in mind it also took me an hour and half to get to work so I'd be getting home at around 00:30am and leaving again at 5:30am - needless to say I was pretty wrecked on those days.

I did get a metric fuck tonne of time off in lieu for it though. Which was nice.

Iceglow
05-30-2013, 03:46 AM

I could maybe swing it for a couple of weeks but I know it would do horrible things to my mental state.

I can attest as to how tired you get doing this but I have to admit I never once found myself in work mentally lost. I was always sharp as a knife in work. When not working I was a wreck though.

Loony BoB
05-30-2013, 02:44 PM
There was a time I was making furniture as a full-time job while I was also working at The Cheesecake Shop part-time on evenings and weekends. I overworked myself too much, got a very nasty injury out of it, collapsed a couple of times one day in immense pain for prolonged periods of time and then had to go to hospital to get it sorted out. Let's just say that I've been punched in the balls before, and this was worse. I quit The Cheesecake Shop after that. This is when I was 17/18 years old, saving up money for my overseas trip.

I'd probably have been alright doing that much work if it wasn't for the physical aspects (neither job allowed me to sit down and the furniture shop involved a lot of heavy lifting, heavy machinery and general manual labour - eg. sanding down facings all day some days).

Freya
05-30-2013, 04:53 PM
Three weeks. I was working two jobs and was supposed to have one day off a week between both jobs, but I kept getting called in and thus smurfed.

Pike
05-31-2013, 10:46 AM

I can attest as to how tired you get doing this but I have to admit I never once found myself in work mentally lost. I was always sharp as a knife in work. When not working I was a wreck though.

I'm pretty mentally sensitive and my social anxiety makes it difficult for me to be around customers for too long. Even 40 hours a week messes me up after a while.

Shiny
05-31-2013, 09:55 PM
New job is being a pain in the ass with OT. They are like "oh you can stay later" and then when you do they're like "oh no don't our budget is tight." Wtf?

escobert
05-31-2013, 11:38 PM
I've been scheduled for 14 days in a row before but I believe I've work upwards of 20 because of people missing shifts and all that good stuff.

Pike
05-31-2013, 11:40 PM
New job is being a pain in the ass with OT. They are like "oh you can stay later" and then when you do they're like "oh no don't our budget is tight." Wtf?

"YOU NEED TO GET ALL THIS trout DONE BEFORE YOU LEAVE TODA- oh wait nvm we're low on payroll please leave"

yep I know how that goes

escobert
05-31-2013, 11:43 PM
and then the inevitable "why didn't you get that done?"

Pike
05-31-2013, 11:48 PM
and then the inevitable "why didn't you get that done?"

Yep, usually followed by more stuff to do.

Shlup
06-01-2013, 01:04 AM
If I don't have at least one day a week where I can just stay home in my pajamas, I start to go crazy. Once in a while I'll have nine days in a row of work, but that's not very often.