PDA

View Full Version : Which Bible Do You Use?

Forsaken Lover
05-28-2013, 02:41 AM
Well I've been planning on doing this for a long time but I'm a horrible procrastinator. However I'm moving to Texas in a bit and now just seems like the right time for changes in my life. I cut my hair and I'm also finally starting to read the Bible.

It got me curious about which versions/translation the Christians on this forum use? And is there any particular reason you chose that version?

Raistlin
05-28-2013, 02:57 AM
I'm not remotely a Christian, but I do have a Bible (though I'm not entirely sure where it is at the moment... my mom borrowed in a long time ago, and may not have given it back yet). I asked a good friend of mine who took some religious studies courses in college what version I should get if I wanted an accurate one, and I think it was the New Revised Standard Version, which is what I bought. I'm tempted to switch to the KJV when I eventually go back to it just for the flowery language.

I started reading the Bible along with a historical context guide that he also recommended to me, Stephen Harris's Understanding the Bible (I found an old version on Amazon for pennies), which was very informative, though I didn't come remotely close to getting through all of it.

Jinx
05-28-2013, 02:57 AM
The Brick Testament (http://www.thebricktestament.com/home.html)

Raistlin
05-28-2013, 02:59 AM
Nevermind, Boobies came up with the objectively best answer.

Depression Moon
05-28-2013, 03:05 AM
I have the King James Version.

chionos
05-28-2013, 03:13 AM
A Nestle-Aland Greek New Testament (also a N-A Greek-English NT) and a JPS (Jewish Publication Society) Hebrew-English Tanakh. These are the standard original language side-by-side versions of each book.

I've read all the standard translated versions as well, KJV/NKJV/NET/NIV/NRSV, etc.

I don't read much these days, but when I do I use the Hebrew and Greek versions, both to keep my Greek and Hebrew from getting too rusty and because the original's always better. In the Hebrew especially, there's a musicality that just doesn't translate into English at all. The Greek is similar, but I've never been able to get a good hang on pronouncing it fluently. I have to stop and think about how to pronounce the 4-5 syllable words and it messes up the flow.

Pheesh
05-28-2013, 03:27 AM
I got given a bible by a Gideon once, they came to my school and handed them out. My mum and I had good laugh about that because of a related Bill Hicks joke. I don't know what version it was though, and I only read a little bit of it.

I Took the Red Pill
05-28-2013, 03:30 AM
I'm not a Christian but I took an excellent class in college on the Bible. We used the Oxford Annotated Bible. It was really great and the annotations were extremely informative and helpful. You've made me want to dig it up and read some of it again. There really are some great stories and some beautiful writing in the Bible.

NeoCracker
05-28-2013, 03:37 AM
The Cockney Bible - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0aTzevVjqk)

Aulayna
05-28-2013, 08:59 AM
Google.

The Man
05-28-2013, 09:12 AM
I think when I was religious I was using the NRSV, although the KJV obviously has the most aesthetically pleasing language.

This is what I mostly refer to now:

Skeptic's Annotated Bible (http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/)

Which uses the KJV, but it also recommends the Blue Letter Bible (http://www.blueletterbible.org/), which allows for comparison of a bunch of different translations.

maybee
05-28-2013, 09:17 AM
The Cockney Bible - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0aTzevVjqk)

Rofl I love it. :jess:

Pike
05-28-2013, 10:18 AM
The Mormon version is KJV but has handy cross-annotations, a dictionary and so forth. It's also got a section that will point you to every single time [a topic of your choosing] was mentioned. Great for academic study, Bible-bashing, or whatever your preferred past-time is.

It's probably the best you'll get until the Klingon translation of the Bible is finished (they're still working on it, but you can't blame them really)

Formalhaut
05-28-2013, 11:27 AM
I used the King James version. Right now, I have that pocket red one that you often find in hotels (Gideons).

Do I really read the bible? I sort of feel embarrassed as a Christian but I don't read it too often. Perhaps I'll read a few chapters of a book, or if I'm feeling really up for it read an entire book, but... eh. I find talking to my school chaplain gives me more information.

Shorty
05-28-2013, 06:13 PM
The mormon one, before I burned it.

Pumpkin
05-28-2013, 06:15 PM
The Holy Bible: Catholic Edition.

Because I am Catholic.

And using the King James Bible would be a sin.

Not that I would use it anyways.

Jinx
05-28-2013, 06:18 PM
The Holy Bible: Catholic Edition.

Because I am Catholic.

And using the King James Bible would be a sin.

Not that I would use it anyways.

Why would it be a sin?

Pumpkin
05-28-2013, 06:23 PM
It's mostly for Anglicans and other Protestants. It can be used technically by Catholic's, but all of my previous Church's told me specifically not to, because as a Catholic, I should be using the Vulgate, or a Catholic edition if I want a Bible I can actually read without learning Latin. I mostly joking about the sin thing, but it was usually frowned upon by the Church's I attended (and my schools, which were also all Catholic).

I do actually have the Vulgate, I just don't use it because, you know, latin and stuff.

Jinx
05-28-2013, 06:30 PM
I mean, I guess it makes more sense to use the Catholic Bible as opposed to a Protestant Bible.

Flaming Ice
05-28-2013, 06:36 PM
I guess my church is sworn to the king james or something like that but it's what I have. But there are definitely word variations between the different bibles.

I mean, I guess it makes more sense to use the Catholic Bible as opposed to a Protestant Bible.

Probably has some good tips on how to make money off of poor saps..........

Unbreakable Will
05-29-2013, 02:00 AM
When I was religious I used the NKJV but now it's collecting dust somewhere. :gator:

escobert
05-29-2013, 02:28 AM
Since I'm one of them evil protestants I grew up using the King James version. I went to a congregational church since there's like 375793827534 different protestant sects.

Loony BoB
05-31-2013, 01:53 PM
I can't remember because it's been that long since I read it. >_> Not too bothered. I know I own a KJV, a comic book version (which is awesome, by the way) and a couple of others, although some are still in NZ.

sharkythesharkdogg
05-31-2013, 03:38 PM
The Hitchhiker's Omnibus? (http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/12.The_Ultimate_Hitchhiker_s_Guide)

I Took the Red Pill
05-31-2013, 09:40 PM
so much bravery ITT

Pike
05-31-2013, 10:44 PM
so much bravery ITT

https://loveisover.me/foolfuuka/boards/v/image/1367/45/1367453111170.gif

Shlup
06-01-2013, 12:52 AM
I bought the New International Version because the internet told me it's a decent translation without being difficult to read. Not a huge list of "begots" and stuff.