PDA

View Full Version : What Class will you start off as?

Aulayna
05-28-2013, 11:52 AM
(if you're making a new character at launch)

Archer for me most likely. You?

Sephiroth
05-28-2013, 12:20 PM
That is hard to decide for me. Many of them look promising.

Loony BoB
05-28-2013, 12:31 PM
I'm not making a new character at launch (well, probably not, I might make one eventually, dunno), but I will continue to rock my Paladin as best as I can. Really hoping it trumps the Warrior, although I'll inevitably use that a lot, too. Tankin' for life.

Khaotic
05-28-2013, 03:37 PM
I never played FF14 original (didn't have a good enough computer at the time) so this will be my first time playing. I plan on going Black Mage or Monk though.

Ouch!
05-28-2013, 05:07 PM
I've got Thaumaturge (BLM), Conjurer (WHM), and Archer (BRD) at 50 already on my main, and I'll continue spending time with them, but when ARR is out, I'm planning on leveling my lancer (which I believe is level 20 right now). After that, I'll run over to arcanist. There are going to be so many people leveling arcanist because it's new right at launch that I figured doing something different will probably be helpful.

Raistlin
05-29-2013, 12:11 AM
I... have no idea. I really only messed around a bit with Gladiator in 1.0. I wanted to do archer, as that is most similar to my main in EverQuest many years ago (which was a ranger), but that was not a very good starter class in 1.0. But that has supposedly changed for ARR, so I might try that.

Del Murder
05-29-2013, 01:16 AM
Maybe Archer? I have no idea. I'd have to see what particular jobs require in certain classes. I do love me some Paladin, so what class would that start as?

Mirage
05-29-2013, 01:25 AM
I'll keep playing whm and mnk and drg, probably. Mostly whm, cause no one i play with wants to play support.

If I make a new character sometime, it'll probably be a black mage, because variation.

Ouch!
05-29-2013, 02:21 AM
Maybe Archer? I have no idea. I'd have to see what particular jobs require in certain classes. I do love me some Paladin, so what class would that start as?

Conjurer to 15, Gladiator to 30 for Paladin.

Gamblet
05-29-2013, 12:34 PM
I registered to be a beta tester. My PC might not be enough, but I hope for the best.

Anyway, I would like to play as Dragoon/Paladin/Summoner. Those are my favourites throughout the series.

Night Fury
05-29-2013, 03:12 PM
I've had a scout online and I think if I were to play this game I'd be a Dragoon or a Bard!

*Devore*
05-30-2013, 02:11 PM
I've had a scout online and I think if I were to play this game I'd be a Dragoon or a Bard!

That mean you would have to start as a Lancer, with sub class of Pugilist or an Archer with sub class Conjuer. For me its Archer all day, everyday.

Aulayna
05-30-2013, 03:18 PM
Yeah most likely ARCH > CONJ > BARD for me... although also considering CONJ into WHM, but Bard looks like it'll be fun fun.

Ouch!
05-30-2013, 04:21 PM
Forget everything I said about dragoon. It's on the back burner. Scholar has been confirmed as available from launch. I will be playing arcanist before anything else.

chaos7
05-30-2013, 05:43 PM
not sure but like most mmos I like to try all classes and have multiple alts. I thinking I'll start with conj and go white mage as my main as I was one in FFXI and loved it also will go black mage at some point too.
However I will have a archer/bard character and a lancer/dragoon. I'm also interested in the Arcanist/summoner so I'll definitely give those a try.

Freya
05-30-2013, 06:50 PM
Most likely one of the magic classes. Then again I love beign a tank/upfront damage dealer. But then again I also like ranged stuff ACK I HAVE NO SPECIALTY. I don't know what I wanna be :(

EDIT: I have figured it out I'ma be a dragoon like Freya :3

Roogle
05-30-2013, 07:07 PM
I think I am like to choose Thaumaturge as my initial class.

Rostum
05-31-2013, 05:12 AM
I already have a few at 50, but I really want to start ARR with Arcanist. :)

chaos7
05-31-2013, 05:18 AM
I had some character up there in level but I'm gonna restart because I love lvling and questing, story ect...

Khaotic
06-04-2013, 06:43 PM
After learning a little more I decided to go Dragoon.

As a side note: My chinese Zodiac is the Dragon - looks like we were destined.

The Summoner of Leviathan
06-06-2013, 05:42 PM
Conjurer then Arcanist. CANNOT WAIT TO BE A SUMMONER! :D

Freya
06-06-2013, 06:33 PM
STAY AWAY FROM THE SUMMONER

Mirage
06-06-2013, 06:57 PM
Heathen!

Nicolas
06-22-2013, 03:49 AM
having a hard time deciding. Been messing around with the Pugilist and Lancer right now. Probably the two I'll play as when the main game is officially out of beta. I'd like to try a couple more. Archer is almost always default for me, so I'm kinda wondering how fun the others are.

Madame Adequate
06-22-2013, 05:10 AM
PUNCHWOMAN http://i789.photobucket.com/albums/yy178/Automilf/emot-black101_zps2c4947cf.gif

I WILL PUNCH THE SCOUNDRELS UNTIL THEY SUBMIT

Mirage
06-23-2013, 11:56 AM
Make a roegadyn punchwoman.

Baloki
06-23-2013, 03:35 PM
Stupid question probably, but can you carry across the characters you've made (without remaking them), and I'm guessing they get level reset or whatever?

Aulayna
06-23-2013, 05:14 PM
Stupid question probably, but can you carry across the characters you've made (without remaking them), and I'm guessing they get level reset or whatever?

Your characters from 1.x yes - you can copy them over and no they don't get level reset. Not being a 1.x player myself I'm not entirely sure what the skinny is but I'm sure BoB can tell you.

Madame Adequate
06-23-2013, 05:36 PM
Make a roegadyn punchwoman.

It's cute that you think that wasn't exactly what my punchwoman already is.

Nicolas
06-23-2013, 06:25 PM
why not make a tiny, somewhat adorable punchwoman?

Madame Adequate
06-24-2013, 01:45 AM
Well my Roegadyn wasn't all that tall and she was pretty cute so

Bierhumpen_Kukki
06-25-2013, 01:41 PM
ill stick with my 1.0 char and start as arc in gridania. first thing ill do is to unlock the amoury system(changing classes) and gear sets. once thats done, getting arcanist unlocked is the next thing on my list. guess ill play the story up to lvl 20 with this class. after that im nor sure, probably some random stuff with ls members. :D

ThornQueen
06-25-2013, 05:12 PM
I'm an alt-a-holic, so I'm not sure yet. Most likely an archer or dragoon since I almost always play a mage in every single game, kind of want to mix it up. Though bards look a bit interesting, or maybe a warrior... good gravy this will be difficult.

Hattoria
06-25-2013, 07:39 PM
Arcanist for me, although there will be lots of them. But it's the only class in Limsa that interests me, plus SMN and SCH are two of my favorite jobs in FF :D

Carl the Llama
06-26-2013, 01:50 AM
I will be leveling all classes in 5 level gaps, during 1.0 I did this and found it to be a great way to thoroughly experiment into which class I would like best, although saying this, I will most like be maining PLD as that was my favourite class in XI.

kyiske
06-26-2013, 01:57 AM
Well considering I played as a WHM all throughout FFXI, I will definitely start of as a conjurer and see where it takes me. I am excited to be able to deal some damage with some non whm only spells. From there who know where most of my time will be dedicated.

Dark_Vincent
06-26-2013, 01:38 PM
I'm not making a new character at launch (well, probably not, I might make one eventually, dunno), but I will continue to rock my Paladin as best as I can. Really hoping it trumps the Warrior, although I'll inevitably use that a lot, too. Tankin' for life.

Like Loony, I'm a tanker at heart. Usually I play Paladin in every game I can, but this time around I'm going for Warrior first and then Paladin as an alternative. =)

Valerna
06-26-2013, 04:05 PM
Gonna start with my V1 character as well. She's a bard so picking archer to start with so I can get my classquests done. But after that I suppose I would start levelling blm. Was first gonna pick Arcanist but everybody is gonna be levelling that in the beginning so... I'm gonna wait it out first.

Asphhar
06-26-2013, 10:48 PM
I'll probably be an Archer... though the Lancer/Dragoon looks awesome... I hate decisions :P

Bierhumpen_Kukki
06-27-2013, 11:51 AM
I'll probably be an Archer... though the Lancer/Dragoon looks awesome... I hate decisions :P

start as whatever you feel like. once youre lvl 10 and finished the corresponding class quest, you can switch to all classes as long as you visit their respective guilds and talk to the guild receptionist. :D

Madame Adequate
06-27-2013, 06:18 PM
Yeah it's one of the best things about XI and XIV imo, you can just switch classes whenever you want a change.

Asphhar
06-27-2013, 07:47 PM
Oh, nice! well I'm looking forward to the next FF:ARR Beta (I finally got a code :P ) so I'll be able to see for myself :D

Ikanuhm
06-27-2013, 09:48 PM
Monk, definitely monk XD, though the Black Mage it's convincing me :p

Yeargdribble
06-28-2013, 12:49 AM
It's sort of hard for me to decide. In FFXI I started with intentions of being a bard and loved being a support character... and then I slowly turned into an epic bard tank. I loved tanking and when I quit to play WoW, I played a Prot War. I love being beefy with a big shield. But since I feel almost obligated to be a Lalafell and I will be very unlikely to have the type of time to commit that is needed to be a serious tank, I'll probably aim at bard.

I decided to try out Lancer just to try something different in the Beta and since I loved my Dragoon in FFXI. But bard looks great and I did briefly play a hunter in LOTRO and liked it pretty well.

My wife is going to be a White Mage. She got BRD, WHM, and BLM to 75 in FFXI (and eventually to 85 I think), but she enjoys White Mage the most, especially the iconic gear. Although she play hunter most seriously in WoW and wonders if she might be interested in Bard. I think I'll try to veto that.

theundeadhero
06-28-2013, 07:26 AM
Lancer, then I'll go from there.

I like melee DPS classes the most. I was a monk in FFXI and a ret pally in WoW.

Pike
06-28-2013, 07:21 PM
Well I started as an archer because seeing as I was most known for being "that hunter blogger" during my WoW playing career it seemed appropriate. I don't know if I'm going to stay that, though.

comma
06-30-2013, 01:07 AM
Good question. I've been playing primarily as Archer during Phase 3. I also went a decent way as Pugilist, which I found more visceral and fun, although I think the "Greased Lightning" combo might get tedious after a while.

The downside of being an Archer in party play is that it's considered a "DPS" class, but if you do more damage than the tank, you're going to become the mobs' target. I died a bunch of times in my first dungeon. So it's kind of ironic that you have to measure your damage as a DPS. (I'm assuming tanks have some kind of aggro-drawing skill, but they didn't use it too much in the parties I was in.)

I'm interested in trying the Arcanist/Scholar path, even though I'm not a spellcaster kind of player. But Phase 4 is probably going to have a ton of them, so it might be a good opportunity to try out a Gladiator or Conjurer.

Picking a race and name is an even tougher call, since it can't be changed. I like that you get to make a character on each of 8 servers for the cheapest subscription, but I'm probably only going to stick with one character for the duration of my involvement with the game, so I want to come up with something good.

Loony BoB
06-30-2013, 10:47 AM
The downside of being an Archer in party play is that it's considered a "DPS" class, but if you do more damage than the tank, you're going to become the mobs' target. I died a bunch of times in my first dungeon. So it's kind of ironic that you have to measure your damage as a DPS. (I'm assuming tanks have some kind of aggro-drawing skill, but they didn't use it too much in the parties I was in.)
If all a tank had to do in order to retain hate was spam skills, the game would be boring as hell. Everyone should learn not to spam the best skills they have over and over and to know when they are doing too much too hard. The idea is that you learn to plan out your actions dependant on how things are going. There used to be a hate bar so you could measure how far you could push it... I don't know if there still is, I certainly haven't noticed it

Aulayna
06-30-2013, 10:49 AM
I tanked Tam-Tara as an Archer. It was pretty pro.

It was like 3am and we couldn't find a Gladiator or Marauder so we had a party of Archer, Conjurer, Pugilist, Lancer - the plan was the Lancer would "tank" but that didn't really work out as it usually resulted in me pulling with Shadowbind so we had to handle less mobs at a time. Then I'd just aggro everything anyway through normal DPS so through alternating my own pots, Cure and the Conjurers healing - I tanked the whole dungeon. :cool:

comma
06-30-2013, 06:32 PM
If all a tank had to do in order to retain hate was spam skills, the game would be boring as hell. Everyone should learn not to spam the best skills they have over and over and to know when they are doing too much too hard. The idea is that you learn to plan out your actions dependant on how things are going.Yep, I get that, and it was easy to adjust, but it seems like a flaw in the gameplay mechanics that you can't do the damage you're capable of just because the monsters apparently can do complex mathematics to determine your damage-per-second is the highest.

I tanked Tam-Tara as an Archer. It was pretty pro.Yup, me too. Maybe it was just my luck, but tanks were hard to come by in phase 3 so far. So we did a mission with three damage people and a healer, and it actually worked out fine. I've only had a balanced party (tank, healer, two damage classes) one time, and while it made things easier to stick to the basic formula, it wasn't impossible to deal with different party configurations.

Laddy
07-19-2013, 10:38 AM
I like Bards, so I'll try to make one.

The Summoner of Leviathan
07-19-2013, 05:15 PM
I tanked Tam-Tara as an Archer. It was pretty pro.

It was like 3am and we couldn't find a Gladiator or Marauder so we had a party of Archer, Conjurer, Pugilist, Lancer - the plan was the Lancer would "tank" but that didn't really work out as it usually resulted in me pulling with Shadowbind so we had to handle less mobs at a time. Then I'd just aggro everything anyway through normal DPS so through alternating my own pots, Cure and the Conjurers healing - I tanked the whole dungeon. :cool:

Aulayna for badass archer! :D